10 pieces of advice you would have told the old you ?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• Flagirlof3
    Flagirlof3 Posts: 86
    Options
    Love This!!
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    1. Lift heavy, all of the time.
    2. Mark Rippetoe and Stuart McRobert assume you suck at life. Avoid their training plans like the plague.
    3. Liquid Coffee creamer is the ****ing devil.
    4. Smoking will make you a wheezing wuss when deadlifting.
    5. Pure hatred will get the plates off of the ground.
    6. Stop eating your family's food.
    7. Sriracha is the nectar of the gods.
    8. Push harder, you're not dead yet.
    9. "If you think partial reps will give you partial results, you're partially retarded."
    10. Your shrugs should be even heavier than your deadlift.
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    LOL
  • Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    saving for hard times
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    -do your reasearch on the basics what foods are protein, diff between carbs, good fats
    -seek people who can give you advise take it and make it work to fit you
    -measure your food with a scale, with cups and spoons,
    -learn to cook chicken, salmon, brown rice it is seriously important if you want to make this forever then prepare it yourself and it usually is 10 times healthier if you find a way to find substitutes for white potatoe with sweet potatoe or cauliflower.
    -spices, garlic, cilantro, oregano, parsley, pepper, are a god send use them on everything to give things flavor
    -drink plenty of water
    -workout but make it something you enjoy if you hate the treadmill then do something else that works for you
    -fruits and veggies yeah they will be your best friend and will be blah unless you look for a way to make them taste good with spices.
    -you will mess up but accept you are human and we are perfectly imperfect
    -reward yourself for all you have accomplished, (workout clothes, new purse) behavior that is rewarded is repeated.
  • jennygirl9
    jennygirl9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    start now!
    You do not have to starve
    every day of trying adds up
    It is not that hard
    do it day by day
    eating jjunk can kill you (literally)
    be nice and feed yourself well
    MOVE!
    Do not look at how much you have to go
    Keep trying no matter what
  • everydaycreateyourhistory
    Options
    Bump
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    10. If you wait for the "right time" to start taking care of yourself, you're going to run out of time.
    9. No amount of disappointment in life can compare to being disappointed in yourself - don't let that happen.
    8. You're so much stronger than you think.
    7. You deserve to take care of yourself.
    6. Food will taste so much better when you stop dousing it with butter/salt/sugar.
    5. The pain you feel after you exercise is telling you that you used muscles that haven't been used in a while.
    4. If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna love someone else? (stole that one from RuPaul)
    3. Write down EVERYTHING you eat.
    2. Take responsibility for yourself.
    1. You are worth the effort.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

6. Theres nothing wrong with your metabolism
    Honey....your number 6 is tooooo deep and TRUE (at least for me, I'm taking it as MINE--) Thanks so much for posting this...means more to me than you will EVER know!

THISSSSSS.
  • mlopez9561
    mlopez9561 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    10 THINGS I WOULD HAVE TOLD THE OLD ME:

-EAT TO LIVE, DON’T LIVE TO EAT.

-PORTION CONTROL, PLEASE!

-IT WILL TAKE LESS TIME TO BE IN A HEALTHY WEIGHT THAN THE 20 YEARS IT TOOK YOU TO BE OBESE.

-IS A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE NOT A DIET.

-YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!

-DO IT FOR YOU, NOT TO PLEASE OTHERS & STOP PUTTING OTHER PEOPLE'S NEEDS FIRST.

-STOP SITTING, GET UP AND MOVE!!!!

- EXERCISING PUTS YOU IN A GOOD MOOD & MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER AND STRONGER.

-BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF & LOG EVERY BITE IN MFP.

-TAKE IT DAY BY DAY!
  • vikki2010
    vikki2010 Posts: 7
    Options
    Abdolutely LOVE this POST!!! Very usefull, motivational and inspiring just give's you the dermination you need to keep going!
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't eat that
    And don't eat that
    Or that
    Definitely not that
    Must never eat that
    Don't ever eat that
    Or that
    Don't eat that either
    Don't eat that again
    Whatever you do don't eat that!!!
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You are fat. Stop eating crap. You arent sick you are making yourself sick with the food you eat. Nobody is allergic to lettuce. Go ahead eat as much as you want. You hate the way you look and feel. Weight is just a number. Healthy is the way to weight lose weight. You can do it if you werent so lazy. Harsh but all true. Its a shame i waited so long to dtart.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    10- it's okay to love yourself even though you don't look like a VS model. Don't mistake being confident with vanity, they are different and you are beautiful.

9- take it slow, somedays you can take it a week a time, other days you will struggle to make it through the next meal.

8- get rid of clothes as they become baggy. You don't need them, they don't fit.

7- don't go clothes shopping when you are in a bad mood or stressed. You won't like what you see.

6- have an off day where you don't exercise or care what you eat, once every month. Your new lifestyle is hard work, it's not natural yet, and you deserve a day of rest. You may even be surprised your "cheat" day really isn't all that bad.

5- not everyone is going to support you and don't expect or wait for compliments. It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 6-8 for close friends and family, and 12 for semi-regular acquaintances to notice. Likewise weight loss is a touchy subject that many don't want to discuss.

4- Allow yourself to cry. Not every workout will be great, some may even suck...and others you may only get through a minute before you are done. Cry about it, then move along.

3- take pics along the way. On the days you are crying look back at your progress pics, sometimes we forget how far we have come.

2- invest in a food scale and get a good pair of shoes and expect to pay a decent chunk of money. If you are worried about spending a small fortune on shoes and not "sticking" with it, i promise you won't stick to anything with aching feet, ankles and shin splints.

1- learn to take a compliment. Smile and say thank you without a 'but', or a laugh, take the compliment.
  • djzeeko
    djzeeko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm only halfway, but here it goes:

1. You're dying. When you sit there thinking about all the things you can't do, you're just rotting in a pile.

2. Rotting in a pile is much less fun than taking a bike ride.

3. You can get healthy without a job. Lots of exercises can be done without equipment.

4. before you do that, though, get your food priorities straight. No more soda. No more fruit juice. More vegetables.

5. Every day you put it off is one less day of feeling great in the future.

6. Being fat does NOT help with mood disorders, and is actually a strong factor in its cause.

7. Exercise, however, feels amazing afterwards. It only takes 30 minutes out of your day.

8. Don't starve yourself for the sake of cutting calories. Find your balance between maintenance and "starvation mode".

9. If you messed up, don't sweat it. Go by the 80/20 rule; 80% accuracy and 20% do whatever you want.

10. Weight loss TAKES A LONG TIME. It's okay of you only lost 4lb last month. Actually, it's great. Did you only lose 2lb? 1lb? Well, you didn't gain any, right? Even if you did, it doesn't matter. Your body isn't as fast as your mind and needs time catching up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The old me, you mean the one in the future? I'd just high five myself for making it to old age!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I. The Lotto numbers are...

No seriously. The above ain't important.

Number 1 would be value and enjoy the time with friends and family and other people who are no longer around. Fortunately I still have a few around now.

Number 2 should have been a simple one to the old me in my 20s. You look great and are fit. Don't let yourself get fat over the next few decades unless you only want to look ok in your 40s. Keep exercising and watch what you eat!

3 to 10 - yadda yadda yadda (:
  • djzeeko
    djzeeko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out (AGAIN!!!) but I think that I have learnt some lessons from previous failed experiences......

1. SLOW, STEADY AND CONSISTENT always wins the race. You are not going to achieve any kind of progress by doing 1 super tough workout in a week and then lying on your bed for the rest of it. Please just commit to 20 minutes of workout you can handle now and then just do it! EVERYDAY! The day will come when you will be doing those super tough workouts but right now remember you are a beginner!

2. Please STOP looking on the internet for various ways of losing weight. There are many options but the science behind is actually quite simple. EAT WELL AND MOVE !!! Don't complicate things by overthinking and doing nothing in confusion.

3. Please quit your ''all or nothing'' approach to life! Take baby steps. Something is ALWAYS better than nothing.

4. Please maintain an online AND an offline diary. You need the motivation that you get on mfp but you also need offline one so that you can always track your intake when you don't get time to be online. And please be honest to yourself about it.

5. You love doing Pilates and yoga. Stick to them for a while. You can always try new things but at least do something that you surely love right now. It will get you into a routine of working out.

6. You love working out alone and gym is not meant for you. But again find things that work for you and stick to them.

7. Please eat on time. You starve yourself and then binge. Why do you do that?

8. Just keep repeating '' I am going to succeed'''

9. It's a time taking process. Respect it.

10. It's a wonderful journey to take.... don't dread it, don't hate yourself.... instead just enjoy every little lesson and success.

By far my favorite post. Every single line is basically me (when I replace pilates with muay thai, that is)
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love these!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!