WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• thisisitfinally
    thisisitfinally Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your welcome Pat

Smiling - nothing as exotic as that, but Cape Town is a very beautiful city with a rich mix of cultures and people. We have the Atlantic Ocean on one side (very cold, no bathing) and the Indian on the other (warmer but still pretty cold plus sharks...), Table Mountain dominates the scene and is very changeable, 5 seasons in a day ... people either love or hate it!

Keto is taking Atkins to its logical conclusion and allowing your body to produce ketones and use them for fuel - hence the high fat. Its very simple and in a month its done me the world of good. Will update on progress or I think it magically appears in my MFP bar.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks: bedtime here :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I tried one of the programs on 'my' bike today at the Y. It was a weight loss route for beginners. All I know is that the readings for the maximum resistance was 12.6, then went down to 11.5, 10.6 then back up to 12.6, etc. I did it for several minutes and realized that I was going to have to work myself up to doing something like that. So i stopped that program and went back to just regualr riding. I was glad to see that it kept the distance and calories burned on the ticker. So i would ride just at my pace for a while then back over to the weight loss program. I did that until the program was over and I then just road the bike at my level until I road a total of 6 miles. So i think I will continue with that to see where it takes me. Who knows, I may be able to ride the whole course without having to drop out and go at my own pace every once in a while. I forgot my headphones so I watched closed caption TV:sad: Lesson learned!

Last night I re-did my diet profile to see if it could help me back to onederland. So I put me at 1200 calories a day:huh: So I knew that I needed to look at that today to see what I did wrong. When I read what I did I saw that I had put as a goal losing 2 pounds a week! EEEEK!!!! So I changed and I have a little less calorie goal a day now. But for the last two days I have weighed 201.4:sad: :sad: :sad: Something has got to change.

It's a beautiful day here in Indiana, a little to warm for me at 80 but it will be nice this evening. I don't know what I will do about my walking outside when it gets up into the 90s and above. I have a cooling vest I can wear but it's bulky and the inserts have to kept frozen to keep me cool.

Joyce
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    Options
    My goodness!! Page 19 already.......wow! This is a wildly popular thread.

So hello Vitamin F pals. I've been reading and reading. Everyone is busy and you are all so very interesting.

I don't set monthly goals by the way (which is why you never see me post any). Long term I want to continue to eat the way I am eating now (nutritarian) and I want to continue to learn more and more about healthful choices and stay away from all empty calories. I am doing fairly well at including raw veggies, cooked veggies, fruit, beans, seeds and raw nuts into my daily menu. Not 100% but doing better.

I joined an organic CSA this year and while the growing season has been somewhat horrible this year in Central Iowa I did get my first delivery this week. The grower included a list of everything in the boxes and several recipes. One suggestion was to cut the flower heads off the garlic chive and to put them in vinegar for several weeks. Then you're suppose to have a lovely tasting vinegar. Has anyone heard of this? Tried it?? I'd be interested in knowing.

Otherwise, all is going well. I'm technically trying to maintain my weight and indeed it's not going up but actually it's still going down which is fine---normal is a broad range after all. I will share this with you and many of you may find this quite strange but I've always been the biggest girl in the room. My best attempt in the past was the tightest fit possible in a size 10. When I got to wearing a 10 I was content and purchased some jeans etc. But now they are too large. I got 8's. They are starting to get a bit loose. And I did purchase one pair in size 6 and they are tight. Who the heck is this??? It couldn't be me right. I am finding this quite startling. I am still the 5'11", 61 year old woman, with loads of flubber left on her frame.

I'm trusting Dr. Fuhrman who says eat properly and your body will decide when it's at its proper weight. He would advocate that for my height that I should indeed lose another 20 lbs. I'll just take it one day at a time.

Wishing you all the best of health and happiness.

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    evening my dears,
    it has been a whirl wind day.. went to work, worked till noon, came home changed and went to my FIL. now I dont know if it is his dementia talking or what, he stills seems pretty with it, but he told me that my SIL and her son my nephew,by the way has moved in with them with his 13 yr old daughter, and I dont even want to get into the sleeping arrangements there, anyway my FIL said that both Doug Jr, and Iris (nephew and SIL) told him that he killed his wife and that they wish that he had died and she had lived.. Now if that is true..they are going to have there A-- turned in...
    this poor man worked his butt off for his 4 kids and had that house paid off in 7 yrs and this is how he gets treated? OH HELL NO...
    I will inform the state about what has been going on and the house is just a freakin mess..
    Ok rant over.....
    I will be going over to the gym in the am, haven't gone the past 2 days. and the good news is my Fit Bit Flex should be coming this week.. so looking forward to that...
    Hope everyone is enjoying there weekend..
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    today I reach 30 days on MFP and what do I do? go way over my allowed calories. I am so defeated and feel miserable. what in hell is wrong with me. It was not intentional and I didn't eat anything truly horrendous. I was out and about today with family and my ipod isn't calculcating as it should and I goofed big time. sorry for the rant its me who has to be accountable. I just feel like a failure UGH
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Welcome to ALL the new people!!! All of a suddden there are SO many!!! Best of luck to all of you.

Meg.......hope your dad had a wonderful birthday!

The storms and tornado threat petered out yesterday; we had a few very light sprinkles today but nothing much. This am I volunteered as a timer for the finish line crew for our running club at a race (one mile and 5K); the ground was a bit soggy and a few people got muddy who were running. It was the first time a lot of the regulars have seen me not bundled up and since I got most of my hair cut off..............tons and tons of compliments!!!! One person ran up to me, hugged me, picked me up and twirled and said I looked "a HUNDRED years younger"---????; Is that a super NSV or what?

All I had time for before running out the door for the race (they tend to be EARLY) was a yogurt; so I was starving and went to Boston Market---had turkey, dill potatoes, creamed spinach, and 1/3 of the cornbread---came to almost 600 cals but would have been MUCH less w/o the creamed spinach.

Dinner made up for it: haddock, bean salad and strawberries

Brooke .......wonderful on the plateau breaking!!!!

Hello to all and best wishes for your weight loss!
    Peace and resolve to those under stress or in pain.
    yanniejannie
    East coast, mid-Atlantic
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    NewLorrain, that's what life is all about. We have bumps in the road all the time but what determines who we are is what we do as we go bump. Do we fall down and stay down????? No, here with your Vit F sisters we get up, brush ourselves off and tomorrow is a different and better day. It's all part of the learning experience.

Joyce
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    hello ladies,,,well started the day with a walk for about an hour (always makes me feel good), relaxing now watching suze orman show, I really enjoy it,,,i wish i had watched this show when i was in my 20s and understood it back then,,,oh well,,,i will be working for a long time,,,ate well today,,probably a little bit too much in the snack department but did ok with my calories,,,nothing big,,just a few small things more than i probably needed,,,mowed the lawn ,,, my oldest daughter took her ACT test today, she just finished junior year of high school,,,

Liz...hope things are ok with your niece

terri from oregon,,,nice goals for the month,,,stick with them

mary 9921...we all have to start somewhere,,,just important that you are starting,,,i'm new to this thread and website and enjoy the encouragement and have really been good about journaling,,,stick with it,,,glad you are here

amada x ...sorry you got rained on with the kiddies...glad your dad is doing better,,have a good weekend

cindy in nh...welcome,,i'm a newbie too

grandmagege...welcome,,and bump is when you don't have much time to write on a thread but want to find it again easily,,,you can just look under "my topics" and see where you wrote something "bump"

heather,,,that tea sound delicious...good job with the strength training,,,i'm just starting to lift some hand weights and use my kettlebell

deedee,,,hope you are drying out,,stay safe

sue,,,hope you had some fun with the kiddies

tere,,,i totally agree,,,i just make sure i did everything i could manage so that at the end of the day, when i put my head on the pillow i am comfortable,,,my mom passed away two years ago and i miss her terribly but have no regrets,,,i got to spend lots of time with her,,,now we keep closer tabs on dad,,,(he misses her so much) i am lucky though, i have a sister who does soooo much for our dad (and she did for our mom as well),,, ...hope you are drying out soon,,stay safe

joan...how exciting about your friend,,,i'm so glad she was able to get off the insulin,,,hope you had a great visit

drkatiebug...i am have a big yard and now am looking at it like exercise as opposed to work,,,maybe that will help with the motivation for the lawn

katla,,,i too have the salt and fat crave,,,look out potatoe chips,,,i started buy skinny pop popcorn to help when others are having chips,,,hope you enjoyed the class you went to today,,,got some new ideas?

Tigress in ga...hope you got to the garden and had a great day

jean...i hope you break the plateau,,,maybe the strength training will help with that

thisisitfinal...happy 49th bday,,,sounds like you are off to a good start,,,stick with it

pat,,,hope you are feeling better,,,if you aren't feeling well be sure to take care of yourself and rest

jane...hope the block party was enjoyable,,

joyce...i have never seen a cooling vest, i think i might check that out for august,,,hope making the changes you will be able to get over that hump

lin in iowa,,,sounds like you are doing great in what you are eating,,,i really need to incorporate more veggies into my day,,,i have never heard about putting the garlic with vinegar,,,but i have put garlic in my olive oil...as for the jeans,,,lets face it ,,,different brands do run differently,,,makes me crazy but i think that is how it will always be

grandmaillie,,,hope you got to relieve some stress at the gym,,,make sure you have some time to relax

thenewlorrain...we all have days where we go a bit crazy,,,just remember, the day ends and we get a whole new day tomorrow to do the best we can for ourselves...you are not a failure,,,tomorrows is a clean slate,,,relax

yanniejannie...nice NSV,,,i think they are some of the best,,,glad you had an opportunity to enjoy the running club

good night ladies,,,everyone stay safe and healthy,,,xoxo

alice in illinois (nosoda0)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greetings to my vitamin F pals! It’s been raining like crazy here; we got rained out of both the farmer’s market and the park. We spent the day cleaning the garage…sounds horrid but it was great to get rid of so much stuff and find all the multiple multiples of everything we own. When the trash pickup comes Tuesday they are going to take one look at the pile we have and say “what the h***?” We also went to a store called Absolute Garage and got some other organization ideas. We spent a while at the nursing home with dad; we took him cupcakes and a “birthday boy” button, and a shirt that said ‘Dads are smart but grandpas know everything”. Today was the first day they could get him into a shirt so his pain must be much better!

BJ: beautiful pic! Are those bleeding hearts? We have a couple, but one got ‘et’ by the rabbit.

Sheri: welcome to our group!

Barbie; how did a part of the dishwasher melt? We had such hard water before we got our softener that it “froze” the door on the soap dispenser and it broke, so it doesn’t work the greatest, but I’m too cheap to buy another one just yet!

Liz: so sorry about your niece. Stress eating gets to most of us here I think! It’s good you recognize it and didn’t enjoy it! Take some time to pamper yourself!

Cyndi: small world indeed! I have been in Broaddus! Cynthia Ann Parker was a child when she was abducted by the Comanches. Married a minor chief, and had a son who became a major chief. She was recaptured by soldiers but mourned for her past life and tried to starve herself to death. There is a historical site, Fort Parker near Grosbeak I think. I was there once as a small kid.

Grandmallie: ugh….I hope you got a nice nap during the day! I slept well last night but it’s almost bedtime again and I still don’t feel “awake”.

Amanda: same here with the theme type parks. Prices that are outrageous and no, there’s nothing healthy anywhere! Hope you had a fun time despite that and the rain!

Heather: I’ll hold my breath with you!

DeeDee: wanna go 50/50 on an ark?

Brooke: the attempt at R&R continues tomorrow as we are going to an auction to look at depression glass. Just when we got rid of stuff….LOL

Tere: we love our raingear too….it’s from Land’s End. Glad you got your walk in.

Joan: let us know what you find out about your friend’s regime!

Bonita: hope your lab numbers are good; let us know!

Katla: let us know what you learn at your class!

Tigress: hope your day in the garden was great

Thisisitfinal: welcome to the group. We have lots of people here from the UK and some of us Yanks don’t get there references either so you are in good company!

Lin: hope you don’t get bad storms. Ours weren’t severe but had torrential rain

Lorraine: we all have our days where we fall off the wagon, but iit’s ok. Skinny and healthy people don’t always eat well either. Just learn from it and move ahead. The biggest thing is that you realize you didn’t’ stay on program and that means you can fix it!

Yanniejannie: wow that is an amazing NSV!!!!!

Wow so many posts and so little time! I wish you all the best on your journeys. We can make it together! Sleep well (I’m drooping!) and have a great Sunday!
    Take care, Meg from stormy Omaha
    June goals:
    90 ounces of water
    6000 steps
    <1800 calories/day
    Exercise 5x/week
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Meg, there’s a plastic piece that connects to the bottom shelf of the dishwasher that assists in spraying water….apparently when the dishwasher got super extra overloaded, the piece dislodged from where it connects and fell to the bottom where there are some heating elements…..I think the dishwasher is from the 1980’s so the replacement piece probably doesn’t exist any more:laugh:

:bigsmile: I weathered the six line dance classes in three days along with all the usual dog walking. Today is my day of not logging calories in or out but still being mindful (sort of) of what I eat…..we went to a bbq potluck midday and I had a hamburger pattie, hot dog, piece of fried chicken and lots of sliced tomatoes and onions---stayed away from the buns, anything made with mayo, and the desserts. Got up at 4:30 to walk the dogs……….I love being outside when the sun rises
    did a bit of work in the yard---walked the dogs twice in the afternoon and took a two hour nap. I’ll be in bed soon….pedometer tells me that I walked 23,000 steps.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Barbie I rejoiced today when my pedometer said over 7000 steps! I don't know how you do 23000. Wonder woman!

Joyce
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Such busy, active friends here. I feel so lazy sometimes just reading it all! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

We finally got a new tv...and entertainment center to put it on. So far, so good. I got it set up okay and got help from Cox to get the remote working. It's a "smart" tv...I don't know what that actually means except it's probably smarter than I am.

And our dishwasher is now fixed! I found out that I had bought a warranty on it so it didn't cost anything to get it fixed....that was the best part. We tried it out and it's working.

Company came on Friday night. I had kind of given up on them thinking they were staying somewhere else, got into my pjs, and they were immediately at the door. We should communicate better! We had a fun day relaxing, eating out, swimming, and sitting outside. It was a beautiful day.

Lorraine...It's easy to get disgusted and give up. Please don't. One day didn't get us here and one day isn't going to ruin our progress forever either. Make tomorrow a better day.

Have a great Sunday. Eileen near San Diego
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I know I'm never on here anymore. Graduations and parties and birthdays, etc. have been exhausting. However I was at my nephews graduation party today and I now have an awesome Jackson update (for those who don't know he OD's many months ago, was in a coma for weeks and had a bad prognosis but came out of the coma and made a slow but steady recovery.)

Well, he was at the party! He is talking normally, walking a bit slow but walking. He looked great and I took a picture. It did greatly disturb me though how much he was drinking at the party. Really??? They say he doesn't even remember what happened to him. Don't you think someone should explain that alcohol is what started all of this? Jackson is the one in the white.

Jackson15_zps5039301c.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Meg - what a wonderful day you had! Your dad sounds like a hoot! Happy birthday to your dad. Good luck to your dd#1

Sheri - welcome! Wow! What a weight loss. Congrats and come back often

jmkmomm - never saw a machine like an elliptical where you sit. Interesting.....

barbie - sure hope you can use your dishwasher

Liz - so sorry to hear that things aren't very good right now. Hoping they work themselves out.

Terri - welcome. Come in often. We look forward to getting to know you.

slimming brown - I'm sure you'll make your goal, you sound so determined

Mary - welcome. Tell us more about those fitness challenges

Amanda - you're doing great with your dad, so proud of you both

Cindy in NH and Redi4Change - welcome!

grandmagege - welcome. Where are you going?

Heather - I find the shirataki noodles fill me up. Now I admit that I do have 4 portions, but that's still not very many calories

DeeDee - the other day a friend said something to me that put chills down my spine. She said "I wonder if all this rain means we're going to have a drought next year"?

brooke - congrats on the inches lost!

katla - have a good time at the class!

drkatiebug - dried fruit usually curbs my sweet craving...like I said, usually

thisisitfinal - welcome

Pat - sinus headaches are really bad, never had a migraine (thankfully), but I hate when I get a sinus headache.

Joyce - don't like the closed captioned TV, mainly because I wear glasses and take them off when I'm exercising so I really can't see the TV's. That's probably why I always keep my iPod with me.

Lin - never heard of the vinegar. Does the CSA say anything about being able to eat the beet greens? I love golden beets, and they are just now coming out at the farmer's market. I feel so bad throwing away those greens but I really don't know what to do with them. I wonder if you can use them like lettuce in salads? Anyone know? Good for you joining that CSA. I got some organic strawberries today. I like the organic strawberries best. For one thing, strawberries are on the list of the dirty dozen for pesticides and also I think they taste more "strawberryyee". I cut them up and have some in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll take them out and put them into a container. Woohoo on the 10's being too large!

Lorraine - please don't feel like a failure. Because if you do, then that means that I'm a failure. I know part of my problem is that I've been thinking a lot about Bryan lately, today was praying for him in church. I still don't know what happened to him. But whenever I get in those "down" moods, I seem to turn to food. I gotta get a handle on this, I must, I must.

yanniejannie - great meals, you certainly made up for your lunch.

Today started out at the farmer's market, then yoga, then did a little food shopping (because I wanted those organic strawberries), came home and made key lime fudge (I think it should be more "limey"), lime-honey glazed chicken, zesty prok chops, a strawberry cream cake, and these key lime bars. Why all the desserts? Getting ready for rummikub this week. I like to have things made in advance so that assuming we have decent weather, Vince and I can work outside. Today it rained cats and dogs real early, but it wasn't raining when I left for the farmers market or the rest of the day. Vince sanded and then painted the conduit on the pergola, then he put up the lights. I went to church while he cut the grass. I didn't realize it would take so long, I had to remind him that we had tickets for a play tonight so he cut it short, I made him a sandwich and we went to the play. It was a nice musical.

Tomorrow weather.com says that it should be nice up until around noontime. Vince thinks we'll probably do some of the river rock and then just play it by ear as to the weather. I do want to make these chocolate cookies, but that's not real dependent on when it gets done.

Michele in NC
  • colograndma
    Options
    This is the first time I have had to get on the board and it is after 10 pm. We were up early in the yard trying to figure out how to reset the rain bird and orbits watering system boxes, and before we could get it done, Rain bird started.... :grumble: so we got the orbits one done and will have to reset rain bird another day. So, I went out front to weed until 11 am or so and we had errands to do. Got home and a few things done but by then the heat had totally wiped me out :ohwell:

Oh, I am a BIG genealogy nut, started when Jim's family thought they had lost a lot of information on the family line when one sister passed away, and her kids "cleaned" her computer. So I found a site and joined (my heritage) and, I have well over 2,000 names in DH's tree.... plus a lot more to enter from research I have done. Anyway I was going into the site to check a date, I have not been on the site because of our move and being so busy for awhile, anyway I find I cannot get into my tree :angry: They have totally changed things where you have to convert things to a different system. Needless to say I was very sad...:sad: I wrote them and will see what they say. I pay about 150.00 per year for this site, and would have been on Ancestery .com but this one was a little cheaper. May have to move to them after all... I find so much more with them anyway.

Promise to catch up with the posts tomorrow.

:yawn: Connie, Tired in Colorado
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So, I went to a garden party this afternoon with “food & beverages”. Before going I ate a light, healthy lunch to help me resist the appealing snacks and deserts. It was 90 degrees; I had two glasses of lovely cold water mixed with lemons and strawberries and although I was tempted, I did not have a glass of wine. I had a nice time visiting.

Terri (from Oregon)
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation so just marking my spot. Belated thanks to Barbie for setting the June thread up.

Geri in England
  • annsanslim
    Options
    Hello

I am Annsan and I am from England only joined a fortnight ago desperately want to lose weight and feel better about myself but was just wondering I am 55 and have found in the last couple of weight loss attempts that the loss is painfully slow. I have increased the walking I do on a daily basis but is there anything else anyone can suggest to raise my metabolism.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hi everyone Happy Sunday!

The weather here has turned quite cool today, still we've had almost a week of warm/hot sunny days, so can't complain too much and it's still early so it might heat up later.

Spent ages catching up with you all, must admit I skimmed the last few pages as time was getting on :embarassed: Still finding it hard to log in every day to comment and catch up, I have been trying to log my calories and exercise though, but that seem to go pear shaped and didn't log yesterday. :ohwell:

Nothing much new happening with me, still plodding on, working hard and still feeling tired. Seem to be on a treadmill of waking up walking the dog, going to work, coming home, eating tea, walking the dog and then bed!

It was lovely to catch up on Thursday with a few friends, we all had a good laugh. We are supposed to be arranging a day out in London soon to catch up with another friend who moved there last year. It's finding a day that's convenient to us all, it will probably have to be a Saturday as Jane and I can't have the same days off at work :grumble:

Just to let you know that although I don't check in as often as I'd like, I do love to read all your posts and find your comments motivate me to do better.

Well I've been sat here for hours now so better make a move. Lots to do.

:flowerforyou: Bye for now

Viv in York UK :heart:
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Key West in Sept. I want to look a little thinner. my sister going with me spending 7 days can't wait :)