when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I need added reasons to gouge my eyeballs out.

I totally disagree...

I found this remarkably enlightening!

Wait a second...this isn't the "what is/isn't water" thread.

Please disregard what I just said. This particular thread was tedious and exhausting. May it suffer a horrible death and never be mentioned again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ::Disclaimer, didn't read all the pages::

I thought the debate is about slow steady state cardio. If so, then it has less "bang for the buck". Strength training is superior in this manner.

Isn't jumping rope a plyometric exercise which wouldn't be slow steady state cardio?

I do both cardio and lift heavy but a lot more emphasis on lifting heavy. Do what works for you...which is both (more lifting though)

shhhh!!! don't tell him. i'm enjoying this too much. don't spoil it for me
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

I thought the debate is about slow steady state cardio. If so, then it has less "bang for the buck". Strength training is superior in this manner.

Isn't jumping rope a plyometric exercise which wouldn't be slow steady state cardio?

I do both cardio and lift heavy but a lot more emphasis on lifting heavy. Do what works for you...which is both (more lifting though)

shhhh!!! don't tell him. i'm enjoying this too much. don't spoil it for me

Why bother looking for truth when you can redefine terms.

Now speed rope isn't cardio.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bumping for after-bar "debating"
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

A plyometric exercise? On what planet?

If you redefine plyometric to mean jump. And you consider when you jump rope, you jump. Then yeah, jumping rope is plyometric.

And also..... why is this thread still going?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    You have to remember, you are talking to guys who do no cardio. If you do no cardio, three minutes of speed rope probably does feel like plyometrics.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

If you redefine plyometric to mean jump. And you consider when you jump rope, you jump. Then yeah, jumping rope is plyometric.

That was really rude Jimmer!

Maybe the original poster of this comment is half an inch tall?

Perhaps he has to get a real leap going to get over that rope?

Who are you to tell him jumping rope isn't plyometric?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I thought this thread had been settled as a nonsense pages ago..... now it appears it's rumbling on with greater and greater pieces of misinformation.

If the dude can exert maximum muscular force in the shortest time possible jumping rope, then I'll leave him be. Or else he's not doing plyometrics. He's doing something else entirely.

This thread makes Jimmer sad....... :(
  • pcastagner
    Options

I thought this thread had been settled as a nonsense pages ago..... now it appears it's rumbling on with greater and greater pieces of misinformation.

If the dude can exert maximum muscular force in the shortest time possible jumping rope, then I'll leave him be. Or else he's not doing plyometrics. He's doing something else entirely.

This thread makes Jimmer sad....... :(

Lol nope, I'm game to keep going. The challenge was to name just one benefit of cardio you can't get from resistance. I named many. I gave a specific example.

Then I was told my nonexistent problem with recovery was due to the cardio. I pointed out I have no issues with recovery.

Then I was told my cardio isn't cardio.

If you can't beat 'em, just redefine winning and act victorious!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength training almost every day. Don't care if it's not cool or whatever. It makes me feel good, and I'm losing weight. Maybe I'll be able to back off on the amount of cardio that I do when I get to my goal weight, but for now, I still have a long way to go.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I don't see how this is still a discussion. What does it matter, really what anyone does. Everyone is different so you cannot tell anyone what is best for them. For some people just cardio works for whatever goals they have.

My personal goal is to lose weight AND gain strength. I don't necessarily need to tone up, so I do cardio & weights mixed, because that is what is going to help me reach these goals.
  • DavPul
    Options
    You have to remember, you are talking to guys who do no cardio. If you do no cardio, three minutes of speed rope probably does feel like plyometrics.

Lol. Anytime you wish to put your awesome jump roping skillz to the test let me know. And according to every exercise textbook on the planet, skipping rope is plyometric. Feel free to Google the definition of plyometrics.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Are we using the same google?

Wiki:

Plyometrics, also known as "jump training" or "plyos", are exercises based around having muscles exert maximum force in as short a time as possible, with the goal of increasing both speed and power. This training focuses on learning to move from a muscle extension to a contraction in a rapid or "explosive" way, for example with specialized repeated jumping.[1] Plyometrics are primarily used by athletes, especially high jumpers,[2] to improve performance,[3] and are used in the fitness field to a much lesser degree.

Webmd

Plyometric training conditions the body with dynamic resistance exercises that rapidly stretch a muscle (eccentric phase) and then rapidly shorten it (concentric phase). Hopping and jumping exercises, for example, subject the quadriceps to a stretch-shortening cycle that can strengthen these muscles, increase vertical jump, and reduce the force of impact on the joints.

Are you doing maximum force when you skip rope? No? It's cardio, not plyometrics. Epic fail on the definitions there bro. What this has in common with certain plyometric moves: it involves jumping. What it does not have in common with plyometrics: it is neither maximum force in the shortest time possible, nor is it explosive unless you have diarrhea when you try it.

Lol so if your jump rope skills are all that, you do lots of speed rope? As in lots of cardio? So you get great results doing resistance and cardio. Iin other words, your results contradict your position on this thread? And your mocking tone is essentially the height of irony?

It's a terrible stereotype, but sometimes I get the feeling reading comprehension is inversely proportional to physical exertion. How you could manage to read "every exercise textbook on the planet" yet still not understand a simple definition is just baffling. Maybe it's all the cardio you do.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Please go read back through this thread and then tell me what position I've taken.

When you've completed that assignment, read your definition of plyometrics again and explain to me how using the stretch reflex in your calves isn't plyometric.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Please go read back through this thread and then tell me what position I've taken.

When you've completed that assignment, read your definition of plyometrics again and explain to me how using the stretch reflex in your calves isn't plyometric.

You mean the exact same stretch reflex used in jogging? So jogging is plyometric too? It's not a very tough concept, so I'll have to assume you are now just toying with me by playing dumb.

I think anyone following this understands your position and also your arrogant, uninformed tone as you commented on some of these responses.

But I'm not one to force others to take any position, so why don't you clearly spell yours out instead of attempting social dominance by handing out assignments?
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% FOR cardio. If it wasn't for cardio I'd still be fat. I lost ALL my weight doing nothing but cardio & I have great fitness because of it. Even the PT I saw once was impressed. It took me 7 months to lose all my weight, become so damn fit I can do it all on 4 hours sleep & still be great every single day.

^This! Same for me! I think I might add weights soon, but you don't HAVE to, exercise is like religion, everyone in here thinks their way/philosophy is right, so stick to what works for us!
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I'm 100% FOR cardio. If it wasn't for cardio I'd still be fat. I lost ALL my weight doing nothing but cardio & I have great fitness because of it. Even the PT I saw once was impressed. It took me 7 months to lose all my weight, become so damn fit I can do it all on 4 hours sleep & still be great every single day.

^This! Same for me! I think I might add weights soon, but you don't HAVE to, exercise is like religion, everyone in here thinks their way/philosophy is right, so stick to what works for us!

I disagree. Religion is based on faith, which is belief in something for which one has no evidence.

What's being discussed here has basis in evidence.

Further, many of us don't feel our workouts are a crucial component of identity. It's just a workout, and you can change it to something else if you have new evidence. It's a constant quest for improvement.

I just did my 20 min rest day jump rope session. It was good cardio, and it took down my DOMS. That's another benefit for the list.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options

I disagree. Religion is based on faith, which is belief in something for which one has no evidence.

Further, many of us don't feel our workouts are a crucial component of identity. It's just a workout, and you can change it to something else if you have new evidence. It's a constant quest for improvement.

It's the same as religion in the way that it is not YOUR place to tell someone how to live their lives ;) If it works for you, great, if others don't care about lifting weights, let it be. If it doesn't affect you, let it go. Don't try to pursuade them to lift. I hate people that try to push their religion in my face ;)
  • pcastagner
    Options

It's the same as religion in the way that it is not YOUR place to tell someone how to live their lives ;) If it works for you, great, if others don't care about lifting weights, let it be. If it doesn't affect you, let it go. Don't try to pursuade them to lift. I hate people that try to push their religion in my face ;)

It's not a good comparison, once you step into their church. Ostensibly, people are here to discuss.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    Pca - whatascene didn't say 'its like religion - theres no proof for one over another' she said 'it's like religion - everyone thinks their way is right.'

Her position is that is a team mentality - namely, that further information will not change the 'side' one is on. If that is not true for you or some other members on this side - kudos!

However, team mentality (you might also think ingroup/outgroup) is incredibly prevalent in society - from what sports team you root for down to clothing or food brands you consume. This is part of why branding works, and also inter-relates with xenophobia. It's natural, even if its not good. And the interesting thing is that facts often do NOT change preconceived notions. Namely, we will believe what we believe regardless of the facts of the situation. This also comes from our tendency to seek information supporting our position rather than contrary to it. Humans do not like to admit we are wrong.

Thus the argument between cardio and weight lifting isn't so much about who's right as it is about 'which team am I rooting for?'