Thoughts on the 5:2 Fast diet

Options

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Never ever defend your self for what u post on here:) say what u have to say and move on! there is NO one else on here but your consciousness....
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    Think ndj is a serial blogger at 2500 posts. Too much posting & not enough reading? :laugh: If one reads or watches the documentary and then goes & reads the 200+ source science papers and research group publications it is clear that the restricted calorie program has real benefits on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cognitive abilities (read dementia). On lab mice. Early days on the science but pretty encouraging. And a side effect was weight loss & higher compliance. I.e. people stayed on the program longer than conventional diet every day.
    So perhaps it is better to be informed than prejudiced.

^^^ Totally agree.

So while trying to stay neutral...... Wow having read all the angst above I think some people have totally misunderstood why intermittent fasting reached headlines and became popular. Losing weight is a happy side-effect. Studies so far show that it's has a whole range of postitives on the body from blood pressure, to diabetes to chemotherapy.

Each person is individual so while I understand why it won't be for everyone, it may just help some people find the right balance.

I know people who have had a very positive experience with 5:2, I also know some people who it didn't work for. I knew a guy at school who lost weight by eating only burgers and ketchup (not even a salad or roll). So as with everything use your judgement

Wow the both of you obviously cannot read. I said that I did IF/Lean Gains for 8 months and LIKED it...I think you have me confused with someone else....please find where I said that there was a negative associated with IF/Lean Gains??? Note to rookies - read what others post before you try and bash someone...
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    lean gains and Martins work is incredible..it needs tweaking but it is soooo ez to do and leans or Bulks you as needed:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    my guess

she looks beautiful, slim and healthy and in her fifties :-)

Well I know she'd blush at that. That's my dear old Mum. The photo was taken a few weeks ago and in a couple of months time she turns 70. She's had no cosmetic work and doesn't dye her hair (she's just starting to get a few greys). Her GP says that, biologically speaking, he'd think she was in her 40s by her medicals. She's never had to watch her weight and certainly never counted a calorie in her life.

Ever since I can remember (like 35-40 years) my Mum has fasted one day a week because she's always, completely unscientifically, felt that it 'offset' the rest of the week and 'kept her body on its toes'. Her diet is mostly heaps of veg, fish, nuts, cheese and avocados but she does like her red wine and 80% dark chocolate.

When I was a kid I thought she was a nutjob and that I ate 'normally'.....and, of course, I'm the one who's had a weight problem all my life from my 'normal eating'. As I've got older I've noticed something about people like her who we usually refer to as 'naturally slim' - they often eat in a boom/bust pattern. Every time we bemoan that skinny person who seems to eat like a horse; what we're generally doing is remembering the day they spent face down in chocolate cake and forgetting the days they ate like a bird. In fact when you start looking at it, the only people who eat the same amount day in and day out are people who are calorie counting.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    very inspirational and your Mom is beautiful!!!
  • horses7777
    horses7777 Posts: 165
    Options
    bump for later
  • lilemx
    lilemx Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I am starting my first fast day tomorrow, a little nervous to say the least but i have heard nothing but good reports on it and have a few friends on it and all are losing weight, i just hope i will be the same!! I have crept up to 12st and want to ideally be 11st by october, preferably 10 1/2 st, we shall see!! I exercise 3 times a week and i am hoping this 5:2 diet will kick start my weight loss :) x
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    interesting, just been looking at some articles and might just give this a whirl x
  • suziorr1981
    suziorr1981 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I started 5:2 on the 18th of January and have lost 42 pounds so far. I've had the last 3 weeks of 6:1 to maintain rather than lose weight as I was busy and unable to fit the 2 fasts in these weeks but am back on track now. I usually fast on a Sunday, Monday and sometimes a Wednesday so if you'd like ideas of what to eat I have my diary open.

I consider this a very manageable lifestyle for me as you can have anything you like within moderation rather than being on a controlled diet where your told to avoid bread, chocolate, take aways etc. With this way of eating you learn to recognise when you are full, the difference between hunger and thirst, you can exercise on fast days if you want to but I personally find it's better to exercise in the morning on those days. I also never did any exercise until 2 months ago when I started walking. Now I am far more active, feel healthier, fitter and much more able to recognise the demands of my body.

All the best with which ever plan you chose to follow :)
  • erinroro
    erinroro Posts: 20
    Options
    Hmmm. Sounds like it might be something to try. Where is the best place to get more info about it?
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Erin....there is a book by dr Michael Moseley and Mimi Spencer called "The Fast Diet" also numerous websites etc...good luck :-)
  • paulbear75
    paulbear75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow , thanks so much for the feedback everyone.
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    bump - need to read later
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Every time we bemoan that skinny person who seems to eat like a horse; what we're generally doing is remembering the day they spent face down in chocolate cake and forgetting the days they ate like a bird. In fact when you start looking at it, the only people who eat the same amount day in and day out are people who are calorie counting.

First of all, your mother looks wonderful!

Second- her eating habits may be different from mine, but I've found that fasting teaches you to ignore minor hunger pangs instead of immediately hunting for something to eat, and gets you accustomed to eating less, so a little goes a long way and you're less likely to spend a day "face down in chocolate cake". Yesterday I enjoyed a Russell Stover S'Mores bar, which is my latest not-good-for-you indulgence and it was almost too much sweetness. Almost. A second one would have been way more than I wanted, and the 230 calories in the first one sure didn't throw my daily caloric intake off-track. So, even on my non-fast days, I'm not overeating.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6 during the week and try to do 20:4 on the weekends. I tend to be a night time eater so it works for me because I can eat in the evenings and I don't do the whole day fasts because no one in my family would want to be around me but I know some people like it. I still count my calories so I'm not "binging" or over eating just eating my calories in a smaller window.
  • EasilyLed
    EasilyLed Posts: 23
    Options
    Think ndj is a serial blogger at 2500 posts. Too much posting & not enough reading? :laugh: If one reads or watches the documentary and then goes & reads the 200+ source science papers and research group publications it is clear that the restricted calorie program has real benefits on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cognitive abilities (read dementia). On lab mice. Early days on the science but pretty encouraging. And a side effect was weight loss & higher compliance. I.e. people stayed on the program longer than conventional diet every day.
    So perhaps it is better to be informed than prejudiced.

^^^ Totally agree.

So while trying to stay neutral...... Wow having read all the angst above I think some people have totally misunderstood why intermittent fasting reached headlines and became popular. Losing weight is a happy side-effect. Studies so far show that it's has a whole range of postitives on the body from blood pressure, to diabetes to chemotherapy.

Each person is individual so while I understand why it won't be for everyone, it may just help some people find the right balance.

I know people who have had a very positive experience with 5:2, I also know some people who it didn't work for. I knew a guy at school who lost weight by eating only burgers and ketchup (not even a salad or roll). So as with everything use your judgement

Wow the both of you obviously cannot read. I said that I did IF/Lean Gains for 8 months and LIKED it...I think you have me confused with someone else....please find where I said that there was a negative associated with IF/Lean Gains??? Note to rookies - read what others post before you try and bash someone...

It's nice you immediately start slamming my education and intelligence. Assuming you read my post I mentioned nothing about you, in fact was totally agreeing with reading up about something before you jump in feet first. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear and offended you, but personally attacking the literacy of ‘Rookies’ hardly reinforces your point.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting. The only way I can go down to 500 calories is if I'm completely stressed out. :tongue:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting. The only way I can go down to 500 calories is if I'm completely stressed out. :tongue:
    I find it takes planning, so that you get enough to fill your stomach. That makes it easier not to snack or eat what you didn't mean to!

I can't fast on days when I go supermarket shopping - I'm hungry when putting the stuff away and eat some of it.
    I need to have low calorie meals organised & ready to eat or cook quickly, or else I find things I didn't mean to eat and scoff them while I'm cooking.
    Leafy or watery veg are good low calorie fillers - shredded cabbage, lettuce, cucumber.
    I avoid carbs on fast days.
  • beattie1
    Options
    double post
  • beattie1
    Options
    derr