WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    NO time to catch up. "She who will not be named" is back in full swing and that's that. Our "on the move" challenge starts today at work so I need to get in 12000 steps but I am working a 13 hour day today so I am not sure when that will happen. I also got out of the car this morning and something pulled. It is a little uncomfortable walking.

I hope you are all doing well.

Robin, Bodi and the Rit Bit.
    PNW
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies; I started reading with the first page and made it this far...

@grandmalle I find myself eating my share of WW String cheese; cheese has always been a favorite of mine. It was cheddar put I made the transition okay. :flowerforyou:

@gardengirl my grumpy colon has me detouring the Italian cuisine lately too :bigsmile:

@connie oh my, triple digits in Colorado. You certainly beat Texas although we know they are coming :grumble:

@yanniejannie you must really love tomatoes to drag the pots around the yard like that. I am a tomato lover but I don't think I could be so diligent; water maybe :laugh:

I not only didn't get through Sunday's posts but I saw several Mondays yet I must run. I have some errands to do and I've already procrastinated as long as I can. Yesterday was a great day as my pain subsided and tomorrow is the doc. All in all life is good because...God is good!

Catch ya later,
    Texasgal in Plano

photo.php?fbid=382283138548268&set=a.113475098762408.17254.113472922095959&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hello, Everyone- Happy Monday!

I was in a tizzy because I could only find the first board. I was panicked, but, I finally found the second board, whew! I thought I had said something really stupid and gotten banned! ( I have been known to put my foot in my mouth on several occassions)

Anyway- I did get back to the pool today. The sinus stuff seems to have migrated to my ears, but there's not a whole lot that I need to hear so it's ok. I figure if it keeps migrating, it will go away soon! (How's that for positive thinking!)

I am so impressed that the women on this board are so open and honest about not only their weight loss journies, but their lives. You are all amazing, and I am so grateful that I can be part of this group.

There are a ton of chores to do today, so I had better go and get busy. Take care all & love yourselves lots and lots!

Joyce- Good job at Steak and Shake of revamping their meal to make it "your" meal. Nice, creative thinking!

Cheryl & Connie- I was raised in an alcholic family (father's side) and, of course, married one. (Way long ago and it's safely over) I am right there w/ both of you. If you need support/ an ear/ or someone to vent to.... I certainly am right here.

Rori- Oh, that poor little kitty on the bottom of your posts! She is going to work her way down to nothing! ;)

Tigress- Awesome job w/ the 3 pounds!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

I actually spent about 4 hours at the gym this am and tried two new classes out. The first one was the Zumba Gold class, which was fun but then thought I try Zumba Combo right afterwards. That was too hard on my joints, so dropped out halfway through. :frown: I was pretty beat but took a break, had a snack and then did water walking and then the water Zumba class, which I love doing! Came home and iced my knee and am hoping I am not paying for all this activity tomorrow!! Unfortunately, I only had one bottle of water with me so ended buying 2 more at the gym that cost more than buying a 24 pk of water! :grumble: Other than that though, I got a great workout in!!

My thoughts and good wishes are with all of you here!

Kathy:drinker:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good Monday afternoon ladies,

This was one crazy weekend! We had torrential downpours on Friday. Of course, I had to pick that day to take Milo to the groomers. When they called me to pick him up, I left in a hurry because I wanted to stop at the grocery store and pick up a few items first. I forgot to bring a towel and realized I’d have soaking wet dog in the car, but when I went to put the groceries in the trunk I saw a blanket. While spreading it onto the seat with wet hands, I realized that this was the blanket we used for the beach on Memorial Day weekend. Now I had sand all over the back seat. WET SAND. What a mess! The groomer gave me a towel to clean it up and we got home soggy but clean. While putting away the groceries, I slipped on the floor with my wet flip flop and a large can of olives fell onto my foot! It instantly became black and blue, and boy did I see stars! Story of my life…. Anyway, I had a bridal shower for my nephew’s new bride-to-be on Saturday, and a HS graduation for my nephew on Sunday, so there was a lot of eating out this weekend. I did fine on Saturday, but Sunday was another story. We had dinner at an excellent seafood place around me. I got broiled mahi mahi with a crab cake (so far, so good). I decided to order a grapefruit crush…..not too terrible. But then…..DESSERT!!! Four of us split a Mud Pie. It was a HUGE concoction of a hard chocolate candy base with coffee ice cream (one of my favs) and whipped cream. It was heavenly! I ate way too much and paid dearly, as I guess my stomach can’t handle all that ice cream anymore. But it was so worth it! I tried to log when we got home, but my computer is acting weird, so I didn’t bother. I was so exhausted that after returning some phone calls, I just went to bed. But I’m back on track today. I think if I eat within my calories 80% of the time, I can splurge the other 20% and still maintain. Anyway, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!

We’re supposed to go to an Italian Festival tonight that they hold every year in downtown Wilmington, but the weather may not cooperate. They are calling for scattered thunderstorms throughout the day with heavy downpours possible, so we’ll have to play this one by ear. ***Update: It's been cancelled for tonight, so hopefully we can go tomorrow night.

:happy: Sue in SD – Good for you taking on the insurance company! You gotta fight for your rights! I hope you get an answer soon. Yes, I am the one who recently started back on the Premarin. I am also on a low dose and can’t believe the difference it’s made in how I feel. I know that I can’t stay on it forever. It really sucks that something that is so bad for you can make you feel so good! Sure hope the menopause symptoms take a break soon.

:laugh: Suzy in DE – Your post about gardening made me laugh, as we put in tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and eggplants. For some reason, something ate JUST the eggplants! We even tried putting new ones in and they ate them again! Nothing else was touched, so we just gave up. These critters are picky!

:angry: Juanita – It seems like a lot of us are having the same problems with pedometers. Mine survived being run over in the street, but the clip did not. Now I can’t use it unless I have pockets, but when I walk on the TM, I wear yoga pants, and they don’t have pockets! We all need to unite and demand better clips!

:tongue: Michele – Thanks for the info on the shirataki noodles. I haven’t had a chance to look yet, but we do have a Genuardi’s and I will get there to check it out soon.

:drinker: Lorain – Congrats on drinking all your water! I can tell you from experience that it gets easier.

:grumble: Tere – I wish I could just send Milo out to “do his thing” in the rain. But he’s such a diva and needs to be walked! When I first moved into this house, I thought that since it has a fenced in yard, I’d be able to just put him out in bad weather, but NOOOOOO….he just looks at me like “what do you want me to do again?” So walking we go, even if it’s a torrential downpour! GRRRRRR…..

:wink: Brooke – Glad to hear your plateau has been busted! A little tweaking is sometimes necessary to achieve the results we’re looking for. Hopefully, the Phillies will play better than they have been these last few days. They definitely need to get moving if they want to get back above 500.

:laugh: Pat – I would just love to see pictures of you and your BFF at the water park! Since I’ve gotten older, I don’t care as much about what people say if I am acting (or looking) silly. It’s all about creating memories, and anyway, you’re probably never going to see those people again, right?

:flowerforyou: Joyce – I never took my measurements before starting MFP either, but the way your clothing fits is a good indicator of losing inches (which is much more important than losing weight). Congrats on your restraint at the restaurant!

:brokenheart: Liz – I hope whatever it is that is causing your stress gets resolved. {{{{hugs}}}}

:tongue: Heather – We tried a tea made with hibiscus flowers when we were in Mexico and bought a package to take home with us. I normally do not sweeten anything, but I do need to add a little splenda or it comes out a tad bitter for me. It was very sweet when we had it in Mexico, so I imagine they use a lot of sugar. Will be watching for your one year post.

:noway: DeeDee – The east coast sure has had our share of rain this year. I wish Noel would teach Milo how to avoid the puddles because he has to walk in circles on the sopping wet grass for 10 minutes before he seems to find just the right spot!

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie – Congrats on the NSV! It feels good to have your hard work acknowledged!

:smile: Eileen – Glad your dishwasher got fixed in time for your company.

:cry: Cheryl – Glad Jackson’s doing better, but if he never asked and no one ever told him what happened, I would leave it alone. I have had some experience in these matters and denial is a very real part of addiction. If he isn’t ready to face it, sadly, there isn’t anything you can do.

:ohwell: Connie – My granddaughter just got on Ancestry.com and has been asking me about our family history. It’s really interesting to see all the things you can find out about your family. She even found out occupations! I hope you can resolve your log in problems and continue with your search.

:wink: Annsan – I have one word for you….patience! Weight loss is a little slower after 50, but with persistence, the weight WILL come off. Hang in there…we all have had similar experiences and are here for you!

:smile: Deb A – Welcome back and feel free to pop in anytime. No pressure to compose a long post. We’re just glad you’re here.

:noway: Joy – Thanks for sharing that amazing pic! Proud of you, girl! I got butterflies in my stomach just looking at it, but I’m sure it was worth it! That view!!!! WOW!!

:flowerforyou: Meg – Congrats on increasing your steps! It’s always good to focus on the positive changes and work on one thing at a time.

:yawn: Rori – If you slept 8 hours, your body must have needed it. I find that my will power is much better if I get enough sleep.

:heart: Viv – Sending {{{hugs}}} your way for a better day tomorrow.

:happy: Tigress – Congrats on your 3 pound weight loss! That’s the way it works sometimes. Just when you think nothing’s happening….viola! Results!

:flowerforyou: Amanda – Happy Birthday and enjoy your day off!

Tried to get through everything, but ended up skimming at the end, so if I didn’t get to you, know that you are all in my thoughts. I appreciate all of my Vitamin F Friends on this thread. Have a wonderful day and be good to yourselves!

GOALS FOR JUNE:
    Increase weights for circuit training to 5 pounds each.
    Consistent logging
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day
    Find an exercise class I enjoy

Hang in there ladies….we are all in this together and we can do this!!!

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I am sitting here all frustrated again. I'm going to have to add that to my name I think. I think I mentioned that MIL nursing home made this accounting error and they wanted us to go out and spend $1000 to get her spending account down to the level they like it to be. What does a person get an 83 year old woman who has been spending a lot on her own to get some special things. She needs nothing for her room, I have bought and bought from Pennys and Blairs as far as clothes and bras. She bought this faux fur coat and heels that I thought were senseless to buy but I'm glad she did it. So we went out and bought her some diabetic shoes that Medicare usually pays for a new pair every year and we private payed it. We spent $100 on a book shelf that we could have spent $20 at Target. So we spent about $400. I told DH that he needs to call his brother and tell him the next shopping trip is his, in fact the next 3 trips. He is retired, it's his turn. So I didn't go to the Y but got about 5000 steps in.

Joyce, frustrated again in Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    evening my friends,
    well today it is raining,and going to rain and thunderstorm tonight..
    GUESS WHAT I GOT?:bigsmile: :bigsmile: my fit bit flex, I am soooo excited, I think I even have it synced to my fitness pal too..
    im one happy camper..got up early so I am tired.that's what I get for reading in bed at night:grumble:
    went over on sugar and sodium today,but have calories left over ,so that's ok...
    I so wish we all lived closer to each other that we could have a get together:bigsmile:
    I know what we could do:wink: How about plan at least for us in the U.S. a MFP cruise? doesn't have to be a long one but that way we could all get together and enjoy ourselves too..
    just throwin that out there is all:wink:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Yes Lucy I agree with the poor catches on the pedometers, I replaced mine and only get the ones around the 20 dollar
    mark for the very same reason, but I can't keep watches either so there will be no fitbit in my future for that reason.
    I have been fighting with the same pound up and down for weeks now also so I feel some of your pain when the scale
    doesn't go down but I'm not gaining 5 pounds at a time like I used to either so guess we are learning something and
    inches always show up and that's a plus. Just have to keep going forward because going back is not going to happen!

Thoughts and Prayers going to all who are in need and Congradulations to all of our Ladies who are losing pounds

Juanita in sudbury
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Well, now I have time to post my story. I need to get this off my chest. It is really bothering me. I went for a walk with my dogs yesterday and as I walked up to a neighbor's long drive, I heard a noise like a tractor so looked up the drive. Well, there was my neighbor with his repaired tractor. I was about to go talk to him when I noticed his brother sitting on the tractor, so I stopped. The brother proceeded to yell " What are you looking at you f****** GD spy?" Well I just looked at him and started towards the man to confront him but changed my mind. I just shrugged my shoulders as if to say "what are you talking about?" and kept walking. When I got home, I was unnerved about the whole thing and told my DH about what happened. He called the police. Well now, I've got 2 police cars parked in my yard and my next door neighbor gawking. The police agreed to talk to the nasty neighbor and told me I should find a different walking route. I went over to the gawker and explained what happened. Not much sympathy there but I wasn't expecting any. It's a sad day when you can't even walk around the neighborhood!

Well on a good note, I met all my goals Sunday and today. The scale was nice to me too! I've read up to here and will pick up again tomorrow. Have a great evening everyone!

Rita from Cookeville, TN (Thompson, CT originally)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Raining again and another tornado warning west of us---radar showing a doppler indicated one to the southwest, don't want to jinx us but I am just sooooooo over this! Lived in the Lansing, Mi. area for seven yrs., worked nights at that time, spent many a day sleeping in the basement. Much rarer here......east coast, but this is twice in less than a week.

Joyce.........on spending your MIL down........if she has all she needs in the way of belongings and clothes, why not have flowers delivered to her room once a month...........or send the nurses (each shift) a box of Godiva now and then..........or provide her dining companions a Coldstone ice cream cake occ..........it's got to be frustrating to be told to spend money on her if she doesn't need anything!

Katla...........your Sunday market sounds fabulous!!! Wish I could go there.....well, except for the rather distracted people

Meg.........I'm hoping DD 1 surprises you with her 2 jobs; maybe being held accountable by other people (not family) will give her an improved sense of responsibility and she'll come through with flying colors

Poerava........we have a Bonefish Grill---it's one of the few places I haven't made it to eat yet....lol

Viv........I also ended up on the sofa last night, very restless---no reason

Lucy............what a busy weekend!!! and your poor wet doggy!

Amanda...........HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Rain, rain, (and t. warning) go away!!!
    Have a good evening. ladies!
    yanniejannie mid-Atlantic, east coast
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Yanni thanks for the ideas. She eats her meals in her room and she has made an a** out of herself the whole 7 years she has resided there and that's the reason they keep her in a private room.
  • dianemduvall
    dianemduvall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I logged my food for two weeks keeping my calorie count on track and increasing my proteins. Then I got a pinched nerve in my neck - very painful for 4 days. Meds made me sick in the stomach so I ate carbs. I lost 1 lb week one and now I am afraid to get back on the scale. Very depressed.

Also - please let me know what a quick go to breakfast choice that is good for you. I am sick of eggs all the time and miss my toast and cereal. Please help!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. It finally is sunny and gorgeous today. It started out misty, foggy, and cold! But by mid-afternoon the sun was peeking out. I went to water aerobics today. OMG I was the youngest by at least 20 years! I loved watching all the “old gals” work it! But here is what was so funny, I always thought older ladies were very modest due to the era they grew up in. Oh my no! The locker room was a bevy of yakky naked old ladies! It was all I could do to keep from laughing…not at them, but at their audacity and total comfort with their bodies. No one cared! It was great. What a wonderful bunch. I hope I am just like them when I get older! The workout wasn’t all that great, but the stretching was good and it felt good to go. Looking forward to Friday when I’ll go again.

Rori: that was quite a nap!!! I love the Bonefish Grill .

Molly: your peonies are awesome

Kathy: you’re getting rain too?

Alice; sounds like you will have one busy summer!

Viv: hope the rest of your day got better and you are no longer cranky!

Jo it sounds like your part of the world is beautiful! My DD#1 is wired differently…unfortunately with her language barrier, no one is willing to do cognitive testing on her. So we don’t know what would help her. Trial and error isn’t cutting it!

Grandmallie: yay for breaking that plateau! I love the cruise idea and if we go the Atlantic route, we could pick up all the folks in Europe, England, Wales, etc. The Colorado ladies got together once I recall.

Heather: let us know how the garlic comes out. I was thinking of trying some next year. Smoked mackerel sounds delightful!

DeeDee: I do love that fitbit. It’s silly but I love it’s little messages.

Tigress: hooray for the weight loss!

Jb: thanks for the herb tips. And thanks for printing the recipe again. I did write it down….my dog ate it! LOL. Seriously I wrote it down, made it, fed it to company to rave reviews and now can’t find it! It was delish so thanks again!

Laura: have a wonderful vacation and post when you get back!

Katla: I’m having a mental image of you scrutinizing your undies to see what the mystery is!!!

Molly: good news about the sleep. I have no idea what that is like!

Robin: UGH Shewhomustnotbenamed! What happens if you say her name….do you turn into a pillar of salt???? Hope your muscle pull is better.

Lucy: hope your foot is better. Sounds like you had a great time and I agree with your 20/80 story!

Joyce: deep breath! I didn’t hear you say you were stress eating….that’s a big VICTORY!

Rita: holy cow that man sounds unbalanced. Lucky he didn’t’ come after you or something!

Yanniejannie: hope the tornado stayed far, far away from you! Living in NE we get our share.

Dianemduvall: why can’t you eat cereal? I may have missed one of your earlier posts. That’s what I eat almost every day and I watch my carbs. Cheese toast or peanut butter toast is also good. I try to have some carbs and some protein at breakfast. I stay
    full longer with the protein, but I’m with you on not wanting to eat eggs daily.

Well, it’s getting late and I have some chores to do. I won’t make my 6000 steps even though I gardened, so will have to make it up this week. I’ve been getting over 7000 so I think I can do that. Take care everyone, hugs, Meg from Omaha
  • thinbitch63
    thinbitch63 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have your toast with a smij of peanut butter or cream cheese and a piece of fruit . Have sugarless cereal with fruit on it.
    My favorite is yoplait greek 100(any flavor with 2 strawberries and 1/2 peach with 1 tbsp granola you can mix the fruit and yogur the night before and throw in granola in the am.
    I love unbreakfast like mini bagel with 1 oz mozzerella chese popped under the broiler till golden with a piece of fruit, cottage cheese in a tomato with a piece of toast rubbed with garlic .
    The motto at my house is whatever fills the hole. I pick 3-5 healthy things I like and eat them each day to stay on track. Be sure to drink that water as I have found it really does make a difference in my lose!
    Try not to get discouraged, keep doing everything right and one day that number will change!!
    I'll be watching to see your numbers change!!
  • sherired
    sherired Posts: 4
    Options
    Am so glad I looked at this message board!! Thanks all, I enjoyed reading all the posts!! It gave me support, I have not had!! Thanks again!!!!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovelies!

MIA with predictable results. To UPdate the ticker or not to UPdate, what do you think?

Learning AGAIN that more and better activity does not compensate for eating whatever I want whenever I want it.

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD of the healthier waist in 2013.

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    June: Log, matwork, sweat EVERY day, Lenten lifestyle.
    bonus goals: HRM, Smartphonewalk, scanposts
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Wow! I haven't been on since Saturday. It took me a while to catch up. I'm still hyperventilating over Sunshine's picture. Oh, my goodness. I am proud of you. No way could I do that, but it was beautiful.

Rita, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience just trying to walk in your neighborhood. In our neighborhood it is dogs that can ruin our walk. They bark, get out of their fences and chase us, DH got bit by two different dogs from two different houses in the same week! At least with dogs, you can kind of excuse them because they don't know better. That guy sounded crazy!

The funeral of the young man in our church is tomorrow. For those who are so inclined, please offer up a prayer for the family. The grandmother, especially, is having a hard time. Suicide is always a tough one.

I'll be tied up the rest of the week with the Methodist Conference - food will be an issue since I'll have to eat what is there, but at least I will be far, far away from DH's candy dish. Thanks to all who have sent me suggestions for dealing with the sweet tooth. I have been working on eating more fruit and drinking more water. That usually works fairly well. I am also going to try the fudge pops, suggested by Sunshine.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    To have tea or not to have tea, I don't know. It's decaf but, I just don't know. Oh we'll, I'm still floating on my weigh in today, I have lost the same amount as DH. He eats twizzlers and other things I don't, or he would have lost more.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on the loss. Sometimes you just need that boost. I lost for two weeks and then nothing and I stayed the course, and then week 4 another loss.

Dianne- why can't you have cereal or toast? Are you not eating wheat? I don't eat them but, that's a personal and medical thing. If you are going low carb, I still eat some, I limit them to 30 at bigger meals and 15 for snacks. I do protein pancakes sometimes for breakfast or Greek yogurt with fruit and walnuts. Oatmeal with slices of apple and walnuts. Open your diary so we can look and give you suggestions. Or look at mine.

Yes, I want the tea. More tomorrow

Tigress in very wet GA
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    The more I think about it the more I like Yannis idea of regular floral arrangement. What woman wouldn't want to have a floral delivery to her room every month! She has had to learn to trust us in our purchases since she can no longer get in the car.

I need to give up my nightly bowl of cottage cheese and pinepapples. It's not the calories, it's the sodium. So my daughter suggested plain yogurt instead of the cottage cheese. So I bought one single container tonight at the grocery store. yes, after we shopped till we dropped for his Mom then we had to go back and go grocery shopping. So I will see how that goes and then see if I can find a larger container of yogurt light. So far all I saw was regular. But a lot of the shelves were kind of bare.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: spent the day walking dogs, going to WalMart, writing a letter Medicare protesting a $1200.00 charge that they won't pay, working in the yard, and planning the five line dance classes I'll be teaching this week----also read all the posts.....now it's a choice between walking the dogs or writing a long post and the dogs are winning.
    :heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else: you are the one who gets burned”---Buddha