Options
hkb85
hkb85 Posts: 37
Why are you a vegetarian? thread got me thinking
people who are vegetarian due to ethics and for a love of animals
do you still use leather?
read hard cover books?
use commercial shampoo and conditioner?
or other products that have animal in them?

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    There are animal products in so many things nowadays that it is almost impossible NOT to use something that was made from or by or using an animal or it's parts.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Brb not eating animals so I can stand on the moral high ground.

Not serious.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sorry, will respond later, too busy eating a juicy burger.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Crap, even the flu shot was made from eggs!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never thought there was anything morally superior about someone who avoids eating animals.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Why do people assume that those who do things for ethical reasons believe they are morally superior? I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never met one who feels morally superior because of their choice not to eat meat.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Why do people assume that those who do things for ethical reasons believe they are morally superior? I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never met one who feels morally superior because of their choice not to eat meat.

Really? I know admittedly few vegans, but wow...can't think of one who doesn't think this way and doesn't actively shame others.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I am pescatarian (I only eat fish as my source of meat). Not going to go into the long details behind it, but I don't care what anyone else eats as long as the animal was humanely taken care of before it came to my or anyone else's table. I will cook meat for others, but I choose not to eat any meat other than fish. Just a personal choice.

I don't shame anyone for eating red meat, chicken, pork, turkey, etc. What someone does and puts in their own body is their business, I don't let anyone tell me what I can put in my mouth. :tongue:
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options

Really? I know admittedly few vegans, but wow...can't think of one who doesn't think this way and doesn't actively shame others.

The thing is, you may only know of the rude ones because they're the loud ones. They're the ones that get attention. But they make up a very small percentage of all vegans. I'm a vegan and I don't give a crap if somebody eats meat or even if they eat meat around me. It's actually almost a pet peeve of mine when somebody apologizes for eating meat/dairy around me (although I much prefer that over the people who taunt me about being vegan and are like "wow, doesn't this steak look great? It tastes great, too!") Because I know that it's MY personal choice for MYSELF. And if other people don't wanna choose that, then that's okay! I don't think I'm above anybody because of what I choose to consume! As long as somebody isn't shaming me, I'm not gonna shame them, and that's that. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Beer is fined using tropical fish swim bladders. This makes me sad for vegetarians.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

The thing is, you may only know of the rude ones because they're the loud ones. They're the ones that get attention. But they make up a very small percentage of all vegans. I'm a vegan and I don't give a crap if somebody eats meat or even if they eat meat around me. It's actually almost a pet peeve of mine when somebody apologizes for eating meat/dairy around me (although I much prefer that over the people who taunt me about being vegan and are like "wow, doesn't this steak look great? It tastes great, too!") Because I know that it's MY personal choice for MYSELF. And if other people don't wanna choose that, then that's okay! I don't think I'm above anybody because of what I choose to consume! As long as somebody isn't shaming me, I'm not gonna shame them, and that's that. :)
    QFT
  • crista_b
    Options
    Beer is fined using tropical fish swim bladders. This makes me sad for vegetarians.
    There are vegetarian/vegan alcohols (including beer). I forget the site to find them, but most that are "hardcore" about it will make sure what they drink was made differently.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I don't consume any animal products as much as I possibly can. Sometimes I do on accident, sometimes (very rarely) I cheat on purpose (with dairy -- never ever with meat.) I also try my hardest to not use animal products, but it is hard. Most of my makeup is vegan and cruelty free -- and the stuff I have that isn't vegan is still cruelty free. I have a few shoes that I bought pre-vegan that have leather, but I haven't bought any leather goods since then.

You know, sometimes it is hard to avoid, but when I CAN, I do. And if I can't, then that stinks, but it might be out of my control.

My products might not be 100% animal-free, but I make an effort to use as few animal products as possible, and it makes me feel good. Doesn't make me feel better than anybody else. It just makes me feel good for myself, y'know?
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

QFT

^THIS 100%. I originally started eating vegetarian because of a horrible food poisoning experience that turned me off from eating meat. Part of it now is ethical reasons but it is my own personal choice. I don't preach it to others expect the same courtesy in return.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I believe strongly in PETA and the good things they do.

People Eating Tasty Animals
  • crista_b
    Options
    I don't consume any animal products as much as I possibly can. Sometimes I do on accident, sometimes (very rarely) I cheat on purpose (with dairy -- never ever with meat.) I also try my hardest to not use animal products, but it is hard. Most of my makeup is vegan and cruelty free -- and the stuff I have that isn't vegan is still cruelty free. I have a few shoes that I bought pre-vegan that have leather, but I haven't bought any leather goods since then.

You know, sometimes it is hard to avoid, but when I CAN, I do. And if I can't, then that stinks, but it might be out of my control.

My products might not be 100% animal-free, but I make an effort to use as few animal products as possible, and it makes me feel good. Doesn't make me feel better than anybody else. It just makes me feel good for myself, y'know?
    I agree. I try to avoid animal products (except I'm still working on cutting eggs and dairy), but I bought a REALLY nice and expensive leather coat when I went to Italy 9 years ago (long before I ever went vegetarian). I'm not going to just get rid of it now.

Also, I've never met a "preachy" vegetarian/vegan who tries to push it on others, but almost all the meat-eaters I know try to push me to eat meat and try to "taunt" me with it. Maybe it's just my experience, but it seems that meat-eaters try to force their opinions/eating habits on non-meat-eaters way more often than the other way around.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    RelEZ.png

No but seriously, don't preach at me about what I eat (or wear, believe, think, etc.), I won't preach at you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I had a vegan say this once as someone was bashing her in for her lifestyle and trying to make her look like a hypocrite. She calmly looked at the person, and said my only goal in life is to reduce suffering as much as possible. I just thought that was so succinct and appropriate.

I really wish I could cut out the animal, but I crave meat and live with a die hard meat eater. Maybe one day I'll pick it back up again.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I guess they don't realize that animal by-products are used in many different things - from paper to WD-40 to clothing to...

So to me their arguments (ethical vs moral vs obligation) make no sense to me. White noise...
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

And that's as it should be. Honestly, I would love to have that experience. My state isn't exactly a hotbed for vegans, so I've had relatively little exposure.

Similarly, there's a lady at my office that is a converted Jew. She's the most insufferable, persecuted person that cannot wait to be offended by all of the Christianity happening around her. Her husband (the Jew by birth) is a great guy, quite affable. In fact the only insufferable Jew I know is the convert, which I find funny. Same thing...not too many of the Jewish faith around here.

editted for spelling
This discussion has been closed.