Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• AlanahLouise123
    Options
    I am 195 lbs and 5ft 6'' tall and 2 hours of cycling 10-12mph = 1061 calories burnt.

It just depends on the exercise you do. People dont kid themselves if they work hard :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My long brick workouts get me in the range of 1.5-2k calories. But that means about 1-1.25 hours of swimming followed almost immediately by 2-2.5 hours of cycling or spinning at a very high cadence. Usually I can get around 600-700 calories in a typical hour long cardio session though. For weight lifting, I don't bother tracking. For cardio-type weight lifting, like crossfit and certain P90X-type stuff, I only burn in the mid 200's to maybe low 500's, and that is for a good hour. As a note, I am average weight for my height and age, so as mentioned, the more someone weighs, the more they will burn doing the same type of activity.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4", upper 240's, and main workout is treadmill at high incline (e.g. 11-15%). That high incline makes a ton of difference!
    • During 'fat burning' workouts (avgHR=1-teens/120s bpm), my Polar FT7 HRM indicates burn rates of ~10 cals/min.
    • During 'fitness-level' workouts (avgHR=140s-low-150s bpm), I get 14-17 cals/min.
    So depending on the intensity of my workout, I can burn 1,000 cals in 60-100min. Yesterday's workout work was 190+ min of 'fat burning' intensity and I burned more than 2,000 cals. Please note that my HRM give lower numbers than both my treadmill and MFP, so that's what I go with.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    People saying that HRM give bogus information I just don't think that is true. I base my diet around the calories i burn for the day, a lot of days I will only have 100-300 calorie deficit, sometimes less and I have consistently lost weight basing my numbers off the calories I burn. So it must not be that off or I would gain weight.
  • Brwnsugar_80
    Brwnsugar_80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Arc Trainer machine seems to burn alot of cals for me!
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: It can be done....but it takes hours. It takes me between 3-4 hours of water aerobics to do it...and I push myself the whole time!:flowerforyou:
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Last week almost burned 1000 by doing 40 minutes Insanity and 20 minutes turbo fire. Felt good!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

How? easy... time

Why? Well, unless they are training to be an endurance athlete, there is no good reason to be much over 1000.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Another thing...as I have become more fit...I have to push harder to get my heart rate per minute up there. So I burn less per hour than I used to.:smile:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wore both my Polar FT4 and the BodyMedia initially so that I could compare. HRM said I burnt ~10 calories a minute if I worked really hard. Media said I burn maybe 8, occasionally 9 and always has a burn several hundred lower than the FT4. E.g. for Insanity, I had a HRM burn of 550-650 calories, Media says I burn 350-400. The discrepency gets higher the longer I work out.

During a particularly intense workout this evening, with sweat dripping off my face and onto the floor, Media says I burnt 321 calories in an hour.

Edit for the numbers people: 5'6" 155lbs.

I also found that the MFP profiles for activity levels are way off. I would have to set myself to very active for MFP to match my TDEE for Media. (Edit: I have a desk job, and spend my evenings gaming with very little movement)

I guess if what everyone's doing is working for them then there's no reason for them to change though :flowerforyou:
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I guess if what everyone's doing is working for them then there's no reason for them to change though :flowerforyou:

:) I have come to that same conclusion!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    People saying that HRM give bogus information I just don't think that is true. I base my diet around the calories i burn for the day, a lot of days I will only have 100-300 calorie deficit, sometimes less and I have consistently lost weight basing my numbers off the calories I burn. So it must not be that off or I would gain weight.

I agree with this. I can burn 1000 calories on my hike, but I burn less when I run. It all depends on what I do. If my HRM wasn't somewhat accurate, I would be gaining weight not losing it. I also use Runtastic and it has me burning less calories because it doesn't have my HR to go off of (but I use those numbers even thought they are lower when I run). At some point I may invest in the HRM monitor that goes with Runtastic and see what the difference is. Should be interesting. =)
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Wow 1000 calories .. wow !! you guys are awesome... I ll get there someday , I am burning like 350 in 30 minutes but I am beat after that.
  • mace1285
    mace1285 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agree! I take kickboxing classes and depending on the instructor and my intensity, I burn anywhere from 750 to 1,100 calories in a little over an hour
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

I do the 1,000 cal workout occasionally, and if I don't burn 1,000 doing it, I keep working out until I hit 1,000. I'm not obese, or overweight either. It just takes longer!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I burn on average 10 calories a min, so it would take 100 mins, so if I did an hour long workout in the morning (like swimming) and then another 40 min workout at night (like elliptical) then I would probably burn around 1000 calories
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to burn a certain number of calories. My goal is to strength train twice a week, do my cardio, my yoga, and take dance class. I'm small, and sometimes it doesn't add up to a lot in a day, however I'm consistent, and I track it so I don't eat too much.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Agree! I take kickboxing classes and depending on the instructor and my intensity, I burn anywhere from 750 to 1,100 calories in a little over an hour

Exactly, it depends on the intensity of your workout and where your heart rate is with respect to max heart rate.

I do TurboFirea, which is like kickboxing in HIIT format with plyo mixed in - I burned 859 calories in 53 a minutes of "easy" class (very few intervals) according to my EKG accurate HRM. I've tested it against my own heart rate and it's accurate to 2 beats per minute plus has been compared to HRM's known to be accurate in independant reviews and was determined accurate. My heart rate was up at 85-88% of max (159-168 bpm) most of the class. In a completely HIIT class, I'm burning about 300 calories in 20 minutes.
  • aisak
    aisak Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it depends on your max heart rate. Mine was said to be 208. When walking hills, jogging or hiking my heart rate is 168 at the lowest but usually it's 174-187 bpm. I burn nearly 200 more calories per hour than my husband. I have burned over 1000 cals in an hour and I'm not obese. Just short with a fast heart beat.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I regularly burn over 1,000 calories on weekend days, but only through doing several different workouts back to back. I normally mix things up between some TurboFire, weights and power walking and most of the time I can blast 1,000 cals through that.

I haven't found a class yet that I can 1,000 within the hour, but I'm very close to my weight loss goal now, so it would be hard to do.