Cheating vs. Flirting (what's the difference)

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that my girlfriend was getting a little too friendly on FB with one of her friends. I kept seeing the same guy commenting on all of her posts and vice versa. These were not the normal nice pic/ nice post comments. They were always very flirty with hearts, smiley faces, winks etc. When I asked her about it she said that he was just an online friend. I later found out that he was much more than an online friend. They had actually exchanged numbers and were talking & texting each other. When I found out the truth they were talking about meeting one weekend. She said that they never met but at this point I really don't know what to believe. It would've been hard for them to meet because he lives in Kentucky. We've been very rocky every since. I feel like I always have to check behind her to see if she's lying to me now.

My question is this is this cheating or just flirting and when is the line crossed?

IN to find out how checking behind someone reveals if they are lying? (are we looking for fingerprints? are we using blacklight?)

Also just break up. But seriously, no, yah just break up. The trying to meet up is the clincher for me.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    If she lied to you about their "relationship"... its cheating.

If shes hiding what shes doing or who shes talking to.. its cheating.

Sorry dude. It might have started as cheating, but she is obviously emotionally attached to him on some level now, because she is enjoying the attention she is getting from him, which is one reason she is hiding it from you.

Either way.. its something she feels the need to HIDE from you, and if it wasnt wrong, she wouldnt have to hide it from you, so yeah, shes cheating.. if not in your eyes, then in hers.. so that means it wouldnt be okay with HER if YOU did it.

Fair play?
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with robdel302. The dishonestly is the big issue here...generally speaking that means she had something to hide. Also, she KNEW you would disapprove. She must be lacking something in her relationship with you to make her want to flirt or even think about meeting up with someone. If this was an old friend that she was close with it may be excusable but, its shady!

agreed
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow, your husband can sleep with another woman as long as he does not lie to you about it. Holy heck not in my marriage.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This is the behavior that leads to cheating. The dishonesty alone is a HUGE red flag.

Absolutely. Making plans to meet? Ticking time bomb...:angry:
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I define a difference with intent.

Making friends and being friendly etc is actually pretty great. Especially if she has very few real friends. There's nothing wrong with having a male/female friendship. I have always been more comfortable around guys, myself.

Emoticons (winks, hearts, etc) are just silly to judge. I often put a heart with my comments, just because that's what I feel like doing. Sometimes I like being all girly like that :P

The key is intent. If there is intent to pursue more than a friendship, then it would definitely count as sort of emotional cheating, and if they actually got intimate, then.. well, obviously, that is cheating.

You seem to be looking for more people to agree/confirm for you what you personally feel, but honestly, everyone has a line drawn in the sand of their own making. However.. are you really thinking it's cheating, or are you looking for justification to be royally pissed and outrageously jealous?

Think on it a bit <3
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really do define cheating in the traditional sense of physical intimacy, but some people believe there's such a thing as emotional cheating. Really the fact that she hid it from you and lied to you when it obviously made you uncomfortable is what I would focus and harp on. Of course the flirting bothered you, but personally the lying and secret keeping would bother me more.

THIS. MisterDerping gives an excellent response. Lying is the deal breaker. My husband knows he can sleep with other women, maintain a friendship, etc., if he wants to, as long as full disclosure is practiced and I know about it. But lie to me, you're gone.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Trust gone=relationship over.

Like some of the others have stated before me, dude just break up.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It was enough to do damage to your relationship. Call it whatever you want, but cut that heffa off and move on.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    tumblr_l9k3xal3gA1qd150io1_500.gif

Im leaving..On a Jet Plane, Don't know when I'll be back again.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    emotional cheating = cheating in my opinion.
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    If you have to hide it, your guilty. IMO

If I caught my husband doing the same, i'd go white girl crazy on him. Especially if he hid it.

Hahaha! Awesome!! Lucky for your husband that "white girl crazy" doesn't even come close to "hispanic girl crazy", not even close :)

To the OP, I think you knew the answer before you posted this...deceit is a mutha to deal with.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Innocent flirting can be done in the presence of your SO, cheating cannot.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    If you are in an exclusive relationship, and you create the impression in a third party's mind that they can sleep with you if they really try, that's when you've taken flirting into cheating territory -- even if you haven't physically cheated. It shows the same level of disrespect to your own partner.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Great, now that song is stuck in my head... :wink:
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've always thought...If you wouldn't do it in front of your significant other than it's cheating....plain and simple
  • Scottmcteare
    Options
    Buddy if you never found out it would have escalated. When something like this happens you see a persons real personality and if they can be trusted. If it was me I would move on, no second changes people just don't change and if you truly don't trust her anymore then the relationship is over. Your only saving yourself lots of pain and cost in the future.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    bang her friends

thread/
  • Scottmcteare
    Options
    try being married to a African women " that's real crazy" they will damage your **** lol
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options

Great, now that song is stuck in my head... :wink:

Here is the Link

http://youtu.be/DArtWpCU-IE~ I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane