What it Looks Like to Weigh Yourself Everyday

Replies

• hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    I only weigh once per week. If the weight is the same or - yikes - higher, I will be very healthy that day and then maybe weigh myself the next morning, just to see if the other weigh in was a fluctuation/having a bit more food in my stomach.

I think I'd be extremely frustrated weighing every day, as the progress is so little and some days there would be no progress at all.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    I have been weighing myself every 3 days. This gives me the opportunity to take a pound off, but I only record it once a week. Good luck reaching your goals.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I weighed once a week when I lost 120 lbs 10 years ago. Right now, I'm relosing 25+lbs of it but without the scale. I didn't really want to know how much I regained so I'm going by how my clothes fit. I estimate I have 10 lbs left to lose. However, once I reach what I consider my goal, I'm going to weigh daily:) I allowed myself to regain when I stopped weighing daily because the number was climbing. Never going back this time around.
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Good luck in reaching your goal :)
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    I weigh myself once a week, :) Works perfectly and everything is (hopefully) accurate and (hopefully, lol) stable!!
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    I weigh daily and record bi-monthly. :)
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Very interesting. When I look at that chart, I see a pattern: A period of relatively stable/flat weight, followed by a small spike followed by a BIG drop. That correlates with what other people have reported who are very consistent with their weight loss approach and who don't change their approach even if they don't see results on the scale right away. It takes our body time to adjust, and it likes to make progress in spurts followed by an adjustment period of flat-line.

This is encouraging to me. I see a lot of people doing the right thing but when they don't get results, they give up too soon. Or when they get the spike up (right before the big drop) they give up then. This is a good reminder to me to STICK WITH THE PROGRAM AND NOT GIVE UP JUST SHY OF THE FINISH LINE!!
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    I weigh every morning and record every friday.

^This. I do this. I will even weigh myself when I get up in the middle of the night to pee. I'm a bit obsessive.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Well, yesterday before my weight workout, I was 165. This morning, I'm 168, so I'm guessing that those 3 lbs are due to water retention for muscle repair. No way in hell did I eat 10,500 calories. lol
  • Daisey4522
    Very interesting. When I look at that chart, I see a pattern: A period of relatively stable/flat weight, followed by a small spike followed by a BIG drop. That correlates with what other people have reported who are very consistent with their weight loss approach and who don't change their approach even if they don't see results on the scale right away. It takes our body time to adjust, and it likes to make progress in spurts followed by an adjustment period of flat-line.

This is encouraging to me. I see a lot of people doing the right thing but when they don't get results, they give up too soon. Or when they get the spike up (right before the big drop) they give up then. This is a good reminder to me to STICK WITH THE PROGRAM AND NOT GIVE UP JUST SHY OF THE FINISH LINE!!

Oh wow thanks Betty! You seem to be right! That is very encouraging.
  • Daisey4522
    I just recently learned how to make the image show up in my actual message instead of having to follow the link. I'll try it out. This is the graph that I posted in my original message of the thread:

90dayweight.jpg

Hmm.. I cannot seem to get it to work. I just see a broken image. Sorry -- I tried!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    I weigh everyday and have been since I have joined MFP. Have gotten used to the fluctuations but
    don't like it but know it is going to happen.
    If I weigh once a week i tend to get slack and then the pounds start to creep up.

Good Luck with your weight loss journey.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    90dayweight.jpg
  • patrox247
    patrox247 Posts: 50
    Some people can weigh themselves everyday without driving themselves bonkers. I'm not one of those people. I weigh myself once a week for the sake of my sanity.
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    I weigh myself every day, just like I journal and exercise every day. I use it as a tool to track my patterns and stay out of denial. My scale measures weight, % body fat, and % water. I find those last two numbers in relation to the first very helpful. My weight may stay the same, but if my PBF is going down I know I'm on the right track.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    I weigh myself every day and I'm not really bothered with the fluctuations.

There was a week when I lost weight, but gained it back in water weight on the last day of the week. If I had only weight myself on that last day, it would seem as though I hadn't lost anything. But I did. It was probably water weight. So ever since, I really like to keep track of every weight fluctuation. Daily.
  • decentyouth
    decentyouth Posts: 20 Member
    Potentially, there is a scientific and mathematical approach that could be applied to your data, which could distinguish between normal weight variation and 'special causes' (unexpected weight gain or loss).

I've applied this methodology to many manufacturing processes in the past. And it's a proven method in finger-printing normal variations in any process and avoiding panic.

Personally, I think a study of this with respect to weight loss would be interesting. After all, weight loss is a process. It should work.

If you could send me your data somehow, I'll have a look for you. It would be rather interesting to see if it is of any use.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    I weigh every morning and record every friday.

^^ this!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Tried to fix the image, didn't work.

90dayweight.jpg
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Some people can weigh themselves everyday without driving themselves bonkers. I'm not one of those people. I weigh myself once a week for the sake of my sanity.
    I am a daily weigher for largely the same reason. You would think that after doing this for a while that I would know when my lowest weight of the day is. Not so. I fear if I weighed less often I would just be getting a random reading somewhere in a 6 lb range at or above my current weight.