Gluten detox

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

There's a whole word of science between addiction and compulsion. One is physical and can be demonstrated in purely mathematical expressions. One is purely based upon self reporting.

I know which one is more accurately described as a medical condition which can be tested, measured and proven using scientific method and one which provides a convenient way of psychologically absolving oneself of all responsibility for their actions.

Bingo. There are addictions which are chemically based and cause withdrawal symptoms when removed. Then the is obsession/compulsion disorders such as overeating that have a mental basis. Being an overeater is a mental obsession with food and the feeling you get from eating it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

There's a whole word of science between addiction and compulsion. One is physical and can be demonstrated in purely mathematical expressions. One is purely based upon self reporting.

I know which one is more accurately described as a medical condition which can be tested, measured and proven using scientific method and one which provides a convenient way of psychologically absolving oneself of all responsibility for their actions.

Bingo. There are addictions which are chemically based and cause withdrawal symptoms when removed. Then the is obsession/compulsion disorders such as overeating that have a mental basis. Being an overeater is a mental obsession with food and the feeling you get from eating it.
    Oh definitely. That's why there are different kinds of "withdrawal" symptoms. Obviously someone who is addicted to drugs is going to suffer physical withdrawal symptoms because of the chemical dependency whereas someone addicted to their Barbies (actually from that show) would deal more with emotional "withdrawal" through depression and/or anxiety.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have an eating disorder, and my therapist says that I am in fact addicted to gluten, sugar, dairy, and a number of other foods.

Your therapist is a quack. 100% serious.

^ this.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Withdrawal is withdrawal. In the case of alcohol, for example, there is a chemical dependence upon the substance that means an unmedicated, sudden removal of the supply causes brain damage and sometimes death.

Psychologically being upset or anxious because they aren't eating something they really like isn't withdrawal. It's difficult, but until there's a documented and proven case of somebody dying because their supply of Crispy Creme was cut off without warning, it's not withdrawal. It's being unhappy.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Being an overeater is a mental obsession with food and the feeling you get from eating it.

But this is complicated, as there are foods that have an effect on your brain chemicals. I think it's possible you can have mental food addictions and physiological food addictions. Think about chocolate. "Chocolate can affect the brain by causing the release of certain neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are the molecules that transmit signals between neurons. The amounts of particular neurotransmitters we have at any given time can have a great impact on our mood. "

It could be that the cure is the same regardless, so it may be a moot point, but it's kind of interesting.
    until there's a documented and proven case of somebody dying because their supply of Crispy Creme was cut off without warning, it's not withdrawal
    Do you think all withdrawal results in death? Hardly. Do you disagree that something like caffeine causes real, non fatal withdrawl symptoms? I think it's quite possible that other substances could have similar presentations when removed from the diet.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Withdrawal is withdrawal. In the case of alcohol, for example, there is a chemical dependence upon the substance that means an unmedicated, sudden removal of the supply causes brain damage and sometimes death.

Psychologically being upset or anxious because they aren't eating something they really like isn't withdrawal. It's difficult, but until there's a documented and proven case of somebody dying because their supply of Crispy Creme was cut off without warning, it's not withdrawal. It's being unhappy.
    I know. That's why I put it in quotes. People will call it withdrawal because they're being cut off from their source of addiction, but it's not true chemical withdrawal.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Best thing I've read here in some time.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have an eating disorder, and my therapist says that I am in fact addicted to gluten, sugar, dairy, and a number of other foods.

^ this.

Yep, and Mark Hyman is also a quack. Woo overload in this thread.

Even if gluten was addictive, which thee appears to be no scientific evidence for, how can a therapist accurately diagnose it?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

^ this.

Maybe the therapist means psychologically "addicted" in the pop psychology sense of the word. Weird thing for a therapist to say since they should have some kind of training on not confusing patients by misusing precise medical terms. Is your therapist a dr. or an MFT? Was he / she not quite top of the class? Sounds a little malpracticey to me.

Even if gluten was addictive, which thee appears to be no scientific evidence for, how can a therapist accurately diagnose it?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

^ this.

Maybe the therapist means psychologically "addicted" in the pop psychology sense of the word. Weird thing for a therapist to say since they should have some kind of training on not confusing patients by misusing precise medical terms. Is your therapist a dr. or an MFT? Was he / she not quite top of the class? Sounds a little malpracticey to me.

If a "therapist" uses the word "addiction" to mean something other the accepted clinical definition of addiction, then they are a quack.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you'll adjust to the low carb aspect.

but honestly you shouldn't be feeling worse from ditching gluten, its just the lack of overall carbs.

eat some rice.
  • smurlene
    smurlene Posts: 72
    Options
    Wow! I step away from the forums for a day and boom!

Thank you all so very much for responding to my question, especially those of you who are trying to answer my actual question and not debate the addiction issue.

I am addicted to foooooood. Some foods, like processed sugar, gluten, and dairy are trigger's for that addiction. I never binge eat on veg or fruits, etc.

I was, in fact, diagnosed by a gastrointerologist with leaky gut syndrome, and he and his team believe that it is responsible for the eating disorder and for aggravating another condition I have, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

My therapist and other women I know who have gone through it argue that YES, you can have a problem detoxing after cutting out gluten and sugar as I have done. That process can take up to three months.

I am consuming probiotics and fermented foods, which is slowly helping. I am trying to get off of Omeprazole, but it is very slow going. By using apple cider vinegar everyday I have been able to cut out the second pill.

I am in a support group for food addiction, which is helping, and all that you have said hear has been so incredibly helpful.

To give you an idea of what gluten and sugar do to me....by cutting them out, I have lost 13 lbs in 14 days. I eat 1,600 calories per day with none wheat grains limited to 0-2 servings per day. I am vegan all but fish three times a week. (I was ovo-lacto pescetarian for six years prior.) This is working for me right now.

I am slowly starting to feel better each day. I haven't craved any food in the 14 days I have been free of gluten and sugar, but I can tell you this...at this part in my recovery if I ate even a little bit of either I would not be able to stop, but I have no problem eating just one banana or just one serving of broccoli. If you don't call that addiction, then I don't know what addiction is. Since I have been off of both, I have had a severe resurgence in anxiety, and I mean severe. Why? Because I am no longer medicating myself with gluten and sugar.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    and there's no way you're addicted to gluten.

i can understand sugar being a "trigger" but bananas and fruits are absolutely loaded with sugars. so it seems like those would trigger the overeating as well.

its great that you're eating better and losing weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So you're not addicted to gluten or dairy or sugar, you have an eating disorder where you can't control what you eat. Fine. Diagnosed by a physician with leaky gut, fine. Going gluten free as a result, fine.

Detoxing from gluten? No.

Tired, depressed, anxious, and irritable as a result of a dietary change? See an actual professional.
  • crista_b
    Options
    She didn't say she was addicted to gluten itself. She said she has a food addiction to which gluten can be a trigger.
  • crista_b
    Options
    So you're not addicted to gluten or dairy or sugar, you have an eating disorder where you can't control what you eat. Fine. Diagnosed by a physician with leaky gut, fine. Going gluten free as a result, fine.

Detoxing from gluten? No.

Tired, depressed, anxious, and irritable as a result of a dietary change? See an actual professional.
    Maybe she doesn't quite understand the feelings that the dietary change is causing, and that's why she thinks it's from "detoxing from gluten". We could have easily avoided this whole debate had all the information she just shared been posted at the beginning, and you could have replied with this.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    She didn't say she was addicted to gluten itself. She said she has a food addiction to which gluten can be a trigger.

"I'm GF because I'm addicted to gluten."
    "my therapist says that I am in fact addicted to gluten"

Funny thing is, she's not GF because she's "addicted to gluten." She's GF because she got diagnosed by a physician with a disease.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    i quit.
  • crista_b
    Options

"I'm GF because I'm addicted to gluten."
    "my therapist says that I am in fact addicted to gluten"

Funny thing is, she's not GF because she's "addicted to gluten." She's GF because she got diagnosed by a physician with a disease.
    Sorry. I meant in her most recent post that the comment was right after. My bad.
  • smurlene
    smurlene Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks for nothing.

As for the rest of you, I appreciate your attempts to actually understand. :)