"I'm pretty into myself"

Options
So I posted a status last night: "I think its pretty safe to say...I'm pretty into myself. Sorry I'm not sorry! :tongue: "

This is the response I got: "Too me it kinda just comes off like low self esteem. It's been my experience that the ones who talk the loudest/most about how great they are and how much they love themselves are actually just trying to convince the world of that because they can't seem to convince themselves. ...but we all have to find ways to cope with ourselves, and if that works for you, then great. It's like Kanye said, 'We all self conscious, I'm just the first to admit it.'"

This opened up a really interesting conversation in my mind and I thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to chime in.

So the big question is this: WHY isn't it socially acceptable to love yourself?? lol Think about it...Its not usually socially acceptable to go around saying you love yourself and praising yourself without people thinking you're either conceited and arrogant or sad and insecure. But WHY?! lol Why isn't it socially acceptable to love ourselves and be OPEN about it?

I think I'm pretty AWESOME...Some days more than others. If you're awesome too, not afraid to say it out loud, and aren't offended by my awesomeness, feel free to ADD ME!! :drinker:

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i dont think there is anything wrong with loving yourself at all. its good. but i guess there might be those that only love themselves and not care about anything or anyone around them. that i dont think is cool. Also, i am not sure if i understand why we would go around actually saying outloud i love myself.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Actually kind of an interesting question. Is it a cultural taboo to be extremely vain, or is it universal throughout all cultures? Don't know. Congrats on your awesomeness.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Because Im not awesome and you aren't either!
    Peanut butter,chocolate banana sandwiches on the other hand.....
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe that person is trying to put their feelings on you.

I didn't like myself. I do now. I like to look at myself, I like to look at my arms (muscles are forming, YAY!), I wish I could brag more about my progress but I've found that outside of MFP, people get sick of hearing it :grumble:

If you are changing your entire life, your entire existence, then damn right you deserve to love and brag about yourself. As long as it isn't hurtful ("I look better than you") kind of way, then love it up girl!!

(now that I think of it, those with the low self esteem may be thinking that by praising yourself, you are putting them down. Side effect that I don't think will ever go away, unless that person learns to love who they are!)
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think people that don't think they're awesome are just jealous of those who do think they are! IMO, a person with a healthy psyche should always think they're awesome!
  • GreenChile3
    Options
    Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I try not to love myself in public.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Just read an article about a man loving himself in a McDonald's parking lot.. he's being charged.
    Good idea to keep it indoors :drinker:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

:sick: :laugh: I have a dirty mind :wink:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Except when you are around "like-minded" people. Or people that really appreciate what you've accomplished, you simply come across as very self-centered if you are constantly reminding those around you how great you are.

If that's what you like, rock on! If your conversations totally revolve around you however, it will turn off a lot of people.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with loving yourself. I question the need to tell everyone how awesome you think you are (especially if you're doing this on a regular basis), but some self-awareness and self-confidence go a long way toward making you a happier person.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So the big question is this: WHY isn't it socially acceptable to love yourself?? lol Think about it...Its not usually socially acceptable to go around saying you love yourself and praising yourself without people thinking you're either conceited and arrogant or sad and insecure. But WHY?! lol Why isn't it socially acceptable to love ourselves and be OPEN about it?

Of course it's reasonable to love yourself. The working assumption is people love themselves. That's the issue you're encountering. Why is this person announcing she loves herself?

When you tell people that you love yourself, there has to be some context to that statement, or people will assign a reasonable context - and vanity, conceit, and insecurity are the most likely frameworks for such an announcement.

It could also be that you did not previously love yourself, or you overcame something you thought you couldn't, or who knows. Have to provide the context, or deal with probable negative feedback.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Why wouldn't you be proud of you? You're awesome. I'm awesome. Humans are awesome.

God didn't make you all perfect and awesome in his image so you would go around all shy and humble and afraid to acknowledge your awesomeness. Let your flag fly, be proud of yourself and who you are. You're a little perfect piece of divinity. Quit putting down some of God's best work......YOU.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Just read an article about a man loving himself in a McDonald's parking lot.. he's being charged.

Happened at the library here in my town. Now I can't even bring the kids to the library. Boys should keep it in their pants - at least at the library. LOL.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Happened at the library here in my town. Now I can't even bring the kids to the library. Boys should keep it in their pants - at least at the library. LOL.

At LEAST!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i don't know. I think you are talking about 2 different things. Loving yourself and continuously expressing that you are awesome aren't mutually exclusive.

I can be confident in myself and my abilities and offer support to those who need help in my areas of knowledge without walking up to everyone and telling them how much education i have, and how smart i am, and how i am the one to go to for help.

in the same vain, if someone constantly talks about their SO, how wonderful they are, how thoughtful they are, and what he/she does on a daily basis that can be as annoying as someone who brags about him/herself.

So, I think it would be more correct to say that the bragging and conceit that is not "socially acceptable."
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having love for yourself and if you do then the confidence that gives you shines through so there's no need to announce it. Generally if people do take the time out to announce publicly that they're amazing it's rather off-putting as it gives the impression that the person is either insecure or self-obsessed.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
    :drinker:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your opinions! No hard feelings- I just thought it was an interesting topic to consider so I wanted to hear other people's take on it :smile:

Have a great day! And STAY AWESOME! :drinker:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

hahahaha I try to love myself every chance I get! :tongue: