Why do people act like eating is a chore?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do you really think the calorie requirement of an 18 yo female is the same as a middle age woman?

You're right.

I know a lot of middle age women who need way more calories than an average 18 year old female.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Although 1,200 may be just a bit too little for me, 1,600 cals is more than filling and I can certainly see how it would differ for others (height, time spent working out, etc...). Truthfully though, I don't really understand why I see so many people on this site bashing others for eating 1,200 cals. Everybody is not built equally.

Well, if 1200 calories is a healthy deficit for you, you should think about getting some exercise every now and then.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Vegetables + meat = carbs + protein
    Fullness = protein + fat.

Eat fats.

^This, You can try adding olive oil to the vegetables or maybe a TBSP or two of peanut butter afterwards.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Vegetables + meat = carbs + protein
    Fullness = protein + fat.

Eat fats.)
    I saw you post this somewhere else earlier today and I thought about it.
    A few days ago I had a protein binge. I ate over 3000 calories of Chicken breast and Hamburgers, but the hamburgers were 10% fat, I wonder if thats why they weren't so filling ? I ate like three or four of them (spread out, obviously) but usually I'm ok with just one (20% though).
    I must admit, I'm not big on fatty pieces of meat, I usually cut it off and pork loin isn't' a favorite of mine unless covered in yoshidas and with a big heaping of rice on the side. :blushing:

The only protein/fat foods I can think of are nuts and peanut butter, but I'd get sick of eating the food faster than i would being full of it.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Although 1,200 may be just a bit too little for me, 1,600 cals is more than filling and I can certainly see how it would differ for others (height, time spent working out, etc...). Truthfully though, I don't really understand why I see so many people on this site bashing others for eating 1,200 cals. Everybody is not built equally.

Well, if 1200 calories is a healthy deficit for you, you should think about getting some exercise every now and then.

Please do not comment unless you have read properly. I clearly stated that 1,200 cals is too little for me.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Do you really think the calorie requirement of an 18 yo female is the same as a middle age woman?

You're right.

I know a lot of middle age women who need way more calories than an average 18 year old female.

That may be but they probably don't work 300 hours a month either. Don't bash people because their diet is not the same as yours or that of an 18 year old. You don't know the people on here or what has brought them here.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Please do not comment unless you have read properly. I clearly stated that 1,200 cals is too little for me.

You said "I don't really understand why I see so many people on this site bashing others for eating 1,200 cals. Everybody is not built equally."

My comment applies to anyone. If 1200 calories a day is an appropriate deficit, it's a sign you're not getting any significant exercise.
  • luckyusn
    luckyusn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found by eating a cup of oatmeal "Dry before cooking " I put some dry cinnamon power for taste, squirt of honey in bottom enough water in it to cover the oat meal in the bowl. nuke it till it starts to boil up. that fills me up and gives me energy for the day. It gives me a full feeling and after a couple weeks my stomach must have shrunk , as now a good salad and a little bit of supper and I am full. many days I go under my 1200 cal. lost 40 lbs so far six months.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The only protein/fat foods I can think of are nuts and peanut butter, but I'd get sick of eating the food faster than i would being full of it.

So long as you're getting a fair amount, it doesn't take that much. Add a little bit of health fats to your diet and it will go a along way. You can try olive oil, avacados, coconut oil (great flavor), and various other nuts. You can find plenty more options with google.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    So they can have something to complain about.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Honestly. My maintenance is 2300 cals, and some times I'm still starving after that, two days this past week i ate 3000 cals!
    How do some people claim they're too full after 1200 cals? :noway:

I'm full right now. AND i didn't even reach 1200 yet. I don't know why that is. Only that it is...currently happening to me, right this minute. In an hour or two, I'll eat a few more cals to get to the 1200 just to avoid the red thingies on my mind when I go to bed.

OTher days I eat a lot more. I don't know why it happens but it does. Just to let you know. It can even happen to someone who eats a whole lot. Today I'm blaming raw almonds that I seem to have a weakness for and then fill up my appetite, really I don't know.

The only reason I'm even posting this reply is to tell you it's real and so try not to judge others. For some it may be a chore all the time. I can't tell you how many times I remember being all super busy and getting a lot done and being all dang, it's time to eat again, I wish I could just finish this one thing I'm doing, I'm on a roll but then I have to eat or I'll get a headache or something.

So when I see those threads it doesn't seem so odd to me. Try to be a little more tolerant. Just because something's never happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen. I never had a climactic moment sitting on a washing machine, but that doesn't mean I don't beleive it could happen to someone else?
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lmao that washer comment was way too funny. Lol
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    becase they are special snowflakes dont ya know. I love the " I simply cannot eat all of my calories" Then they say they need to lose 100lbs. Lol.. I dont buy a word of it.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have to say for me there is a big difference between how much I need to eat in order to avoid being hungry at any time other than just before a meal and the amount I would be able to eat though the latter depends on the calorie density of the food, of course.

I could eat a meal with grilled or oven baked meat or fish and plenty of vegetables that would leave me feeling full and would be about 450 calories or for a similar level of fullness I could have a homemade curry with rice and naan which would probably be around 800 calories (I have taken to having rice OR naan) or I could have a large box of chocolates at 1500 calories.

The meat/fish and vegetable meal will easily avoid me being hungry until the next meal maybe four to five hours later. The curry may also do that though it depends what was in it. The chocolate almost certainly wouldn't.

Others are suggesting the protein is the secret to avoiding getting hungry again too soon. Certainly that could explain the meat and vegetable meal working well at that though I think this is an oversimplication. At one point we tended to do plenty of meals where you get a pre-made sauce and stir meat into it. I found these didn't tend to keep me satisfied for as long as I would expect and had a similar experience with sweet breakfast cereals. Sugar seems to be the common ingredient. Cooking a meat in sauce dish from the basic ingredients myself and not adding sugar results in a dish whose calorie count is higher than the grilled meat with vegetables dish but one that keeps me satisfied. Porridge seems to last until lunch time in a way that the sweeter cereals do not.

So I'd say get enough protein, eat plenty of vegetables and watch the sugar. If you haven't already enable sugar tracking in MFP. It is possibile to eat way too much sugar without even adding any as it is such a common additive in bought foods so if you enable the tracking you'll know what to avoid.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eh. It can happen. Yesterday I ate salad, spinach, cucumbers, bacon, and chicken all day (With a spinach, banana, strawberry, and protein shake for dessert) and I was stuffed at 1400 and had to throw in two pumpkin brownies to get up to 1500. My diary page that day was twice as long as it was today. So if you eat nothing but fruit and veggies and lean protein all day, sure you can get full on 1200.

Then again, I was 48g under my fat macro so I won't be repeating that little experiment. I'll go back to eating cheese and butter and beef, lol. So basically they're full on 1200 because they're so intent on 'clean' eating they eat a bunch of stuff with no real caloric content.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 1200 calories, plus eat back most of my exercise calories. Although eating is definitely not a chore! I love my food! ><
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eh. It can happen. Yesterday I ate salad, spinach, cucumbers, bacon, and chicken all day (With a spinach, banana, strawberry, and protein shake for dessert) and I was stuffed at 1400 and had to throw in two pumpkin brownies to get up to 1500. My diary page that day was twice as long as it was today. So if you eat nothing but fruit and veggies and lean protein all day, sure you can get full on 1200.

Then again, I was 48g under my fat macro so I won't be repeating that little experiment. I'll go back to eating cheese and butter and beef, lol. So basically they're full on 1200 because they're so intent on 'clean' eating they eat a bunch of stuff with no real caloric content.

Or we eat that way because we find it's the only way to control our medical condition.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have never ever ever had trouble eating enough calories, lol. But I have noticed that much smaller amounts of food make me very full now that my body has gotten accustomed to eating less, stomach has shrunk, etc.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So they can have something to complain about.

you mad today?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Or we eat that way because we find it's the only way to control our medical condition.

Your medical condition doesn't allow you to eat foods that are both nutrient dense and calorie dense?