Food intolerances - spill 'em!

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got to have it tested or something. I have diarrhea all the time. Not looking forward to it...
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Fresh Pineapple. Dairy.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My body hates spinach and kale! Yay for me!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Soy.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Goats cheese, doesn't pop up in everyday diet but I love a goats cheese pizza :-( for about an hour before I see it again!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    all gluten (I'm celiac) and my body cannot process high fat foods, anything greasy and I am in agony.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Gluten (Celiac) allergies to peanuts, hazelnuts and almonds. And intolerances to dairy, rice, corn and vegetable oils. And I have Crohn's so I can't eat any type of nuts or seeds, and veggies are not always good.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Larger quantities of wheat products make me bloat up like the Marshmallow Man on Ghosbusters lol. After figuring it out and almost totally eliminating it for a couple months, I had an Arbys roast beef sandwich last weekend-bloated so badly I couldn't button my jeans the next day, wild!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Are your intolerances diagnosed by a doctor or self? I'm struggling with an intolerance but cant tell what exactly or if its worth bothering a doctor with...any advice?

I'd go to a natural therapist. They do reaction tests where you don't have to consume the item, simply hold it, and they can test your body's reaction. They can also offer natural remedies to assist your body in coping with the intolerance.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Does having bad stomach pain when eating lentils count?

Or is that just eating too much dhal?
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options
    I’ve been wheat intolerant for the last 30 years (I suspect it was triggered by taking very large doses of antibiotics I was prescribed after my daughter was born). The last couple of years I’ve been eating a lot of bought gluten-free breads and I’m now thinking that these might have been the reason for my weight gain over the last two years. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them too.

I rarely eat gluten free bread, I had two gluten free sandwiches over the weekend AND OMG was I sick, I bloated out like you would not believe and overnight I gained 5LBS!!!! It was all the salt and sugar (which is quite common in gluten free breads) Crazy, I hate the taste of it anyway but we were trying to find something we could pack when we go camping, well that is off the list forever.
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options
    Gluten (Celiac) allergies to peanuts, hazelnuts and almonds. And intolerances to dairy, rice, corn and vegetable oils. And I have Crohn's so I can't eat any type of nuts or seeds, and veggies are not always good.

you poor thing, what can you eat? Being celiac has been enough for me I cannot imagine what you deal with on a day to day basis.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, eggplant, and tomatoes. Wah!!!! I was alerted to these intolerances abt 3 years ago so at age 32. My guts definitely let me know if I've had too much potato or tomato, rather violently.

I'm the same, apart from egg plant which I don't eat often enough to notice.

Courgette seems to be a new one for me and caused me to lose two days off work.
    Tomatoes since last year ( at mother's 70th birthday bash, knocked the pensioners flying in my mad dash to get to a toilet) and for years potatoes, pasta and bread if consumed in huge quantities causes my IBS to flare up.

I avoid peanuts because my throat and chest becomes itchy and I wheeze. I really miss peanut M&ms.
    The doctor said I shouldn't self diagnose and said it was asthma and prescribed an inhaler. ????
    I don't have asthma and I don't eat peanuts.
  • spunkybunny
    spunkybunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Gluten, wheat, sugar, some dairy (cheese is ok), peanuts. I'm also insulin resistant so "white" foods/starchy veggies are out. I've spend the last 2 years overhauling my diet...not fun (I really miss some foods) but I feel better.
  • DeEtteN
    DeEtteN Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was advised by a friend to read the book - "Eat 4 Your Blood type" and let me tell you it has completely changed the way I eat and how I feel. So many of the items listed for my blood type I had already figured out were an issue and it just confimed it but boy there were so many more. I have tried ever so often to introduce something back in that I "thought" was ok and boy was I wrong. I use to get horrible bloating and water weight gain almost daily now it might be only once every few weeks. For instance I can't eat chicken, wheat, corn products, shrimp, pomegranite, peanut butter to name a few. Now when I eat something I'm not supposed to my reaction can vary from bloating to vomiting :( no fun but I feel so much better. I am also allergic to any kind of melon. It is so bad that if I even try to eat some I can't "reach" the itch in my ears and throat - I've been known to use the fork to scratch the roof of my mouth, so of coarse you won't catch me eating any melon now.
  • gmms57
    gmms57 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Gluten.
  • muppetfan13
    muppetfan13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed, but if I eat bell peppers (particularly green), I will burp them for DAYS. I just avoid them if I can, and pick them out of my food if I can't.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I'm not sure if it was food poisoning or intolerance, but I'm not willing to try it again and find out. I've also had the seaweed rolls without the raw fish and those don't usually go over well either. The raw fish thing though was TERRIBLE and I never want to be in that state again.

I've also yakked up spinach for no reason. Cooked spinach tastes nasty, but apparently raw spinach, which doesn't taste like much, makes me hurl too. I can only eat it if it is mixed in with a generous amount of cheese or eggs or both (like spinach cheese dip, or quiche or something of that nature.)

Certain types of beans and fiber supplements cause discomfort and excessive flatulence, but I think that's probably normal...
  • stepyogameup
    Options
    Lactose intolerant my whole life, and I developed soy intolerance & gluten intolerance in the past few years. I rarely eat yogurt/kefir (makes my nose run), sometimes I eat cheese, and I avoid everything else dairy. If I slip up with wheat, I feel groggy, get a headache, and end up with a wheat/gluten hangover the next day... And I avoid soy at all costs.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Wowbutter is a fantastic alternative to peanut butter if you can eat soy :) Just wanted to say that first.

I have allergies to all nuts and certain dairy proteins (lips and cheeks swell so this one is minor)

I have intolerance to caffeine, lactose and am starting to notice I don't do well with gluten... after a long period of not eating it and introducing it back I noticed my body doesn't handle it well at all which sucks... but I like to think that in the long run my allergies and intolerances will somehow lead me to a healthier lifestyle lol.