I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ok instead of "unhealthy", I'll phrase it a different way:
    Freaking out over 200 calories is indicative of an eating disorder.
    Better?

Oh, interesting! Where did you get your psychiatric training?
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sonic has nothing redeeming on their menu period.
  • dbmata
    Options
    A few things that surprised me when I found out were bagels, who would've thought and they're not even very filling! I know I shouldn't have been too surprised by donuts but at nearly 300 calories for a single donut, that's nearly all of a breakfast for me! And last but not least, pretty much anything from DQ, I love blizzard treats but wow, even a small is surprising and I always used to get at least a medium, that equals to nearly a day's worth of calories!

At the previous company I worked for, they worked us like indentured servants, and every morning had stacks of bagels ready for the drones to come in.

Well, hell, those things aren't filling, even when you glop them with cream cheese. So it wouldn't be unheard of to eat two....

Since leaving there in 09 I haven't touched a bagel until a couple weeks back, logged that thing and boom. 400 calories. WTF?! For THAT?! I would have rather eaten a piece of meat, or a ten penny nail, it would have been more filling. I was floored.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Lies! A lot of their food is delicious, that's the most redeeming factor of all.

tumblr_mho9wfvZEa1rdu1kgo1_500.gif
  • dbmata
    Options

tots and their lime and cherry soda water thingy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.

But 200 calories isn't even really worth getting angry about, though, especially at breakfast, when you have the rest of the day to adjust the rest of your meals or go for a walk. Hell, if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you could eat over your calorie limit by 200 calories every single day and still lose a little over half a pound.

So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.

Ok instead of "unhealthy", I'll phrase it a different way:
    Freaking out over 200 calories is indicative of an eating disorder.
    Better?

No, because it's still not true. But I'll fix it for you.

Freaking out over 200 calories on a regular basis may be indicative of an eating disorder.
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    I used to eat fried clam strips for dinner from great restaurants one day on the weekend sometimes, but since joining, alas, I have found I cannot unless dinner will be my only meal. hahaha
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the SuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing. THAT was the healthiest option on menu? :noway:

I'm surprised that only had 580 calories in it!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the SuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

Lol. Those were my thoughts too the moment OP wrote "Sonic SUPER Burrito
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    It's actually never happened to me. I don't say this because I religiously look up the nutritional content of every single morsel I put into my mouth, but because if I go out to eat ANYWHERE, I assume high calories. I got a burger at McDonald's a couple weeks ago. I assumed minimum 500 calories, probably more like 600. When I logged it it was 380.

I will admit I did almost fall over when I found out that my usual XL double double from Timmie's was 320 calories. I looked it up as soon as I decided to start making healthier choices, though. Now I choose a less calorie dense option. If I'm consuming a coffee that has 320 calories, there better be whipped cream and syrup involved. Instead, I am sitting here drinking my 25 calorie coffee.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I did a stupid. I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it.

We went to Sonic this morning and I didn't have my iPad with me. Normally I look up and track everything before I eat it, but this time I thought I would get the "healthiest" looking thing that I saw. I got the Super Sonic burrito because it also had veggies, instead of just meat and cheese. I KNEW it would be a little higher, because of the added veggies. I had estimated it being about 350-400 calories.

580. 580!?! I almost cried. There was NOT enough burrito for it to be 580 calories. Thinking of the amount of fruit I could have had for 580 calories?!? Not to mention the sodium that is now swimming around in my body... I've learned my lesson! No more leaving the house without my iPad.

I guess the end of it is this:

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Are there foods out there that you've thought were going to be lower calories and it ends up being over the top?

your first mistake was choosing sonic. That choice should always be considered unhealthy. Be honest, you knew it was naughty. Do not beat yourself up.
  • missdibs1
    Options

Lies! A lot of their food is delicious, that's the most redeeming factor of all.

tumblr_mho9wfvZEa1rdu1kgo1_500.gif

you are a liar

delicious does not always equal healthy ....and sonic stinks yuck
  • lwr731
    lwr731 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One of my first rude awakenings when I began counting calories was the the Roasted Tomato Caprese sandwich from the Barnes & Noble Cafe has nearly 600 calories. It is barely the size of my hand. But if I have it today I do the "1/2 soup and 1/2 sandwich" version. Not very long ago I was short of calories for the day, so I indulged in the Applebee's appetizer Cheese Quesadilla. I knew it would be high, but I never imagined it would be more than 1,100 calories!

It happens. Less frequently than it once did, but it happens. I learn from it, and I move on.
  • missdibs1
    Options
    omg all of these posts are making me rethink eating lunch out.

Any suggestions??
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

We went to Sonic this morning and I didn't have my iPad with me. Normally I look up and track everything before I eat it, but this time I thought I would get the "healthiest" looking thing that I saw. I got the Super Sonic burrito because it also had veggies, instead of just meat and cheese. I KNEW it would be a little higher, because of the added veggies. I had estimated it being about 350-400 calories.

580. 580!?! I almost cried. There was NOT enough burrito for it to be 580 calories. Thinking of the amount of fruit I could have had for 580 calories?!? Not to mention the sodium that is now swimming around in my body... I've learned my lesson! No more leaving the house without my iPad.

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Are there foods out there that you've thought were going to be lower calories and it ends up being over the top?

your first mistake was choosing sonic. That choice should always be considered unhealthy. Be honest, you knew it was naughty. Do not beat yourself up.

LOL, someone should learn to take context and dosage into account before stating in absolutes something is unhealthy
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Any suggestions??

Dont' eat. Eating has been proven to cause cancer and eventual death in humans. I'd also avoid water at all costs.
  • missdibs1
    Options

Any suggestions??

Dont' eat. Eating has been proven to cause cancer and eventual death in humans. I'd also avoid water at all costs.

omg I am so screwed.....
  • missdibs1
    Options

LOL, someone should learn to take context and dosage into account before stating in absolutes something is unhealthy

sigh everyone here gets so serious.... and eating fast food is naughty.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You know the MFP mantra...

...all or nothing.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would think the lesson would be "Don't eat at sonic"

just sayin..