Almomd Milk vs. Regular Milk vs. Soy Milk

Options

Replies

• dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk, hands down. I get the unsweetened vanilla. Only 30 calories per cup. I add it to my whey protein powder and it's a nice post workout drink. And lots more calcium than cows milk!

I've read Soy can hinder your thyroid function which is NOT good!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I bounce back and forth between soy and coconut milk. I love the taste of coconut milk, but prefer the consistency of soy. Try all of the non-dairy varieties. :) Before I started getting healthy, I avoided "milk" altogether because of slight lactose intolerance. Now I really enjoy my substitutes! (Coconut milk ice cream is incredibly delicious and not nearly as fatty as real cream!)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I use all three, honestly. Plus two more: coconut and rice milk. I've found that they each have different flavors, and I can usually find an "unsweetened vanilla" option that has a nice makeup of cals and macros. As for regular milk, I typically get whole milk. We live in a rural area, so sometimes I've even able to get ahold of raw milk from the husband's family. Let me tell you, that's some delicious stuff. The cream separates natrually to the top, and I'm not above ladling some out for my coffee in the morning.
  • choface
    choface Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Which milk do you like the most?

What fits in your caloric/macro goals?

Drink (insert whichever milk).

The end.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk most of the time. That way it's easier to make just as much as I need.

Oh thank you! I was just wondering what to do with the almond flour I bought to make low carb pancake that i didn't like and won't be making again! Can i ask you in which proportion you use water and almond flour?

As for me I also alternate between cow milk and almond milk unsweetened. I love my cow milk ! I use almond milk mostly in my protein shake after workouts and if im making a recipe that calls for milk , ie an omelette that is high in calories i will add some almond milk. I haven't tried it yet on cereals but I think its probably good and if a high calorie cereal , it helps. Soy milk.... Not a big fan of it ... Is there even a version of soy milk thats not flavoured and loaded in sugar???

I need to try the coconut milk! Im a big fan of coconut and i saw someone mention coconut ice cream...yummy!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I always use almond milk! If there is a difference in protein I sure make up for it with the other foods I eat. I think the texture is much more luxurious and smooth compared to skimmed milk and it has a lovely flavor. It is also lower in cals so I can afford to have a bit more cereal aswell!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    when i've tried almond milk with my protein shakes it gives them a weird gelatinous consistency. i like my regular 2% cow's milk.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ive tried almond milk for the first time and now I will no longer drink regular milk. I love the taste with my cereal and its thick so it fills me up and love the low cals. almond milk FTW!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Home-made almond milk for me. I rotate with home-made hemp milk.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I only use milk with espresso or the occasional (very rare) cream sauce. I have used almond and coconut milk in the past but lately I've lost my taste for both. I have just taken to drinking more Americanos (water instead of milk in espresso) and just drinking less milk. However, I love the real stuff.
  • stepyogameup
    Options
    Almond milk. I am lactose intolerant and soy intolerant (plus, soy is terrible for you).
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you prefer. Nothing wrong with any of the options.

I buy almond milk now and again. I use it in recipes and in shakes most of the time. I tend to use half regular milk and half almond milk. I don't drink milk and I try to limit how much dairy I consume because it makes my acne worse.

Unless you have an issue with one of the ingredients within milk drink that. It may be higher in calories than almond milk however it has a lot of great nutrients.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk most of the time. That way it's easier to make just as much as I need.

Oh thank you! I was just wondering what to do with the almond flour I bought to make low carb pancake that i didn't like and won't be making again! Can i ask you in which proportion you use water and almond flour?

As for me I also alternate between cow milk and almond milk unsweetened. I love my cow milk ! I use almond milk mostly in my protein shake after workouts and if im making a recipe that calls for milk , ie an omelette that is high in calories i will add some almond milk. I haven't tried it yet on cereals but I think its probably good and if a high calorie cereal , it helps. Soy milk.... Not a big fan of it ... Is there even a version of soy milk thats not flavoured and loaded in sugar???

I need to try the coconut milk! Im a big fan of coconut and i saw someone mention coconut ice cream...yummy!

I have never used almond flour to make almond milk and haven't heard of a way to (might be one out there on the internet though or some other options to use up the almond flour).

When I make almond milk (and I do the same with soy) I soak whole almonds in water overnight. Drain them than rinse and than put the almonds through my juicer and than add in water to make it as thin or thick as I want it. To make it in a blender blend the almonds with water than strain in a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, fine mesh strainer, etc. I do the same with soy by soaking the soy beans than blending them with water.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    woops double post
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i typically do whole milk and occasionally coconut milk.

soy milk is crap. and a lot of the almond milks that I've seen have an ingredient list a mile long, and a ton of sugar. I tend to pick food items that have the fewest ingredients.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    cat-drinking-milk-directly-from-cow.gif
    Regular: I like this stuff...calcium is more bioavailable. The studies I've seen show that the fortified almond and soy stuff aren't as easily absorbed. An easy fix to this would just drinking more so if you're lactose intolerant or whatever go for it...but that would also mean more calories, so I just stick to the milk stuff, which is a lot less processed (I'm in Canada, so none of the weird milk scare tactics apply to me), though I do like my occasional unsweetened almond and coconut drink. I wondered about the scare tactics people take to get people to stop drinking milk and they all seem rather silly or can be proven wrong so I stick to fresh bioavailable protein and calcium filled milk with fat that helps me absorb all my vegetable nutrients!

Almond milk I like the taste of and it's low in calories (or you could just drink less milk)...Less protein, often added preservatives (the seaweed preservative carrageenan can be linked to stomach problems, small amounts do not seem to bother me), oddly processed way to get calcium etc...I have it occasionally because I like the taste it adds to coffee.

Soy milk is blocked with nutrients (some fortified tho). There are many nutrients in soy that are wonderful, but hidden in so many of our foods these days, one hardly needs it added to their diet. I tend to stay away from soy but drink it when I'm out since I don't get a whole whole lot in my diet. If you eat tofu regularly and soy regularly then I'd choose something else. It's linked to various problems when consumed in excess and you'd be surprised what you can find it in. It's in things such as breads, crackers, cakes, rolls, or pastries containing peanuts, peanut oil, soy flour, processed and "natural" cereals, pasta, soy beans, soybean sprouts, sauces, fruit drink mixes, fruit toppings, coffee substitutes instant coffee, hot cocoa mixes, malt beverages, pork link sausage, deli/luncheon meats, commercially prepared meats (used as a meat extender), cheese substitutes, tofu, bean curd, natto, miso, textured vegetable protein, canned soups, commercial entrees, and combination foods, baked goods, such as cakes or cookies which contain soy flour, commercial ice creams and other frozen desserts, Hard candies, nut candies, fudge, and caramels, protein powders (even ones that are not soy protein based), margarine and butter substitutes salad dressings, mayonnaise, sauces, or gravies, Commercial vegetarian products and meat substitutes Heinz® Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins® sauce, fermented soybean pastes (miso and natto), soy sauce, tamari sauce, granola, breakfast bars, Imitation bacon bits, Roasted soybeans or "soy nuts"...

I'll just add that coconut milk is yummy. And i have absolutely no idea why anyone drinks rice milk. It has less benefits over most things.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have almond milk and hazelnut milk. I'm not a fan of soy.
    omg hazelnut milk is available? That stuff would be delicious in coffee.
  • sirgordonzola
    Options
    As I don't want to be someone who drinks another species milk (and we are the only ones who do), I find almond milk the best, certainly tasty and low fat.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk most of the time. That way it's easier to make just as much as I need. Not a big fan of soy and we rarely have normal milk at home because we don't use it much. For Thursday pancakes I use oatmilk, though, when I haven't planned ahead enough to prepare the almond milk. It's *much* cheaper than the other "milks", especially nut milks, and only little more expensive than soy milk.

Can you give us a recipe for your almond milk? Sounds expensive unless you can buy carloads of almonds. . . Also, I never heard of oatmilk! Where do you get that?
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    My decision is totally based on what cereal I buy lol!
    Healthier cereals go well with plain unsweetened almond milk and if I'm doing something like lucky charms...well. Cow milk all the way!