chub rub aka thigh gap

Options

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps are over-rated. Yeah, it would be nice when I wear short shorts and run, but unless it's b/c your of your body shape, it looks anorexic. I saw a girl at the beach with a gap yesterday but she also looked like she needed a snack. I'd rather have some solid muscle than starve myself to have a gap, just sayin'
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and about 135lbs.
    I have huge child bearing hips though
    If I get down to 129 I will probably have a noticeable thigh gap.
    At what I am now I don't get that chaff feeling.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've ranged from BMIs of 17(very underweight) to 21 through my teenage years until now, and I've never had a thigh gap. Even at my lowest weight they still touched for several inches on top. They don't rub badly or get irritating in activities until my body fat percentage gets really high, which can happen at any bmi.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap again...

If you don't already have one hidden under body fat you might never see one. With pregnancy a wider pelvis might slightly increase your Q angle, but other than that there's not much you can do to change your skeletal structure.

Besides, the larger the Q angle the more prone you are to knee pain, ACL tears, pronated ankles, fallen arches and so on. A narrower angle can be a great advantage in athletic performance. :)

*editing to add it's also your femoral neck angle, and it's insertion.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm a dancer and that means i've always had big build up thighs because well.. you use those muscles A LOT for ballet.. Without a thigh gap i don't remember rubbing issues whenever i was 16 years old and weighted like 105 pounds and now i barely have issues at 134. I reckon it's a thing related to body composition as others pointed out how wide your hips are therefore how separated the legs are and also for me i think it has to do with muscle. If you have muscly thighs i think chances are they're gonna rub less than if they're less muscle and more fat. I would say instead of continuing to lose weight until you're a stick so the thigh gap appear, i would exercise that part of your body so it would be more muscular and firm.

This makes sense to me, I'm built pretty similar to this poster. I was a dancer for years and have always had muscular legs and never had a thigh gap, not when I was 110 pounds, and certainly not now at 145. But I have never had trouble with chafing at any point in my life even though they touch, probably in part due to the amount of muscle there.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have really built thighs, so they touch pretty much no matter what (with a tiny little window up by the... You know XD ). I'm okay with it, though, because I know it's all muscle :3

This is pretty much me.Pear shape + strength training...

But I was so happy when I realized I had that "window" after losing weight. Ha.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who had to always wear shorts under dresses and skirts! :laugh: So glad to find out I'm not alone. I too have always had "chub rub" as you call it, even when I was 125 (I'm 5'5"). I also had a very high bf% though, so maybe someday when I have nice muscles to go with a low weight, I won't have the chaffing. Here's hoping! :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm about that height and significantly heavier than that. I don't get chafing when I workout. Maybe I'm not working out enough? I do ellipticals sometimes. Stairs. Treadmills. Walks. Hikes. I'm not sure why that doesn't happen to me? I think these are all things that might case chafing if I'm heavier than the 125 you mentioned? IDK? It's weird.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    There is NO SINGLE EXERCISE or combination of exercises that will burn fat from your hips, butt and thighs!

Doing a thousand repetitions on the horrible inner/outer thigh machine at the gym will do nothing to remove fat from your legs. Just as doing hundreds of stomach crunches will do absolutely nothing for getting rid of stomach fat.

The sad truth is, the first place you see fat go on will be the last place it comes off.

Fat loss comes down to burning more energy than you consume over a period of time long enough to get to your desired level of body fat. Three things will help you with this. In order of importance, they are...

1. Consume fewer calories than your body needs
    2. Lift Weights
    3. Patience!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Pure Romance's 'between the sheets' works well for this too..
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Chub rub means something completely different to me.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My thighs have touched since before puberty, and I wasn't overweight then.

At the top of my "normal" weight range for my height? My collarbone sticks out, has cavities on either side of my neck, and my ribs show .... and my thighs rub even though I'm wide-hipped. I bet it you did a body fat test on my upper body, it would come back more than 10% higher than a test that only included my lower body.

I don't expect I'll ever have a thigh gap.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've never had a thigh gap, even when I was underweight. I'm still overweight, but my thighs don't chafe at this point. They did when I was at my heaviest. Strength training and a bit of fat loss seems to have sorted that out pretty quickly. In the meanwhile, there's all sorts of stuff you can do to alleviate the chafing problem--baby powder, body glide, deodorant, compression shorts, etc.
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My thighs have and will always rub...waa:sad: So, I wear shorts under dresses and Bermuda shorts (but those ride up too) bleh!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In addition to the rubbing, shorts riding up All The Time drove me to sewing heavy fishing weights into the hem. No joke, and it worked. I still don't have a thigh gap, don't consider it a goal, but at least my shorts stay where they belong now.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    5'8" 141lbs have one now, then my thighs didn't real rub at 165lbs either. I think I have the body type for "thigh gap" though. When I get to my goal weight and body fat I will have an epic gap, not because I aim for it but because that's just how my muscle composition and body frame make me look.
  • moralecl
    moralecl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use biker shorts which come down to mid thigh and are tight so they don't ride up, spandex/Spanks, or I also found some slips that are joined in the middle to wear under dresses. But mostly I just wear pants or capris instead of shorts and dresses.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck in losing the chub rub. For the time being, I suggest wearing spanx (the ones that are like shorts) expecially in the summer. It makes it much easier to walk around.
  • the_britster
    the_britster Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i think the thigh gap is gross:noway: , most women aren't meant to have one
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    i think the thigh gap is gross:noway: , most women aren't meant to have one

Really?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!