How do you get that gap between your thighs

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Q angle: angle subtended by a line drawn to the vertical bisection of femur and a line drawn from the lateral margin of pelvis to the sagittal plane of the knee joint (Figure 1); normally 15° in men (>15° in women due to wider female pelvis); excessive pronators show an increased Q angle
    http://img.tfd.com/elsevier/thumbs/f17-01-9780443103780.jpg
    Figure 1: Q angle. See text entry for description of Q angle.
    Illustrated Dictionary of Podiatry and Foot Science by Jean Mooney © 2009 Elsevier Limited. All rights reserved.

Basically the wider the Q the greater your risk of knee and hip injury. If you have wide hips, but a small Q angle - ie your femoral head is directly above your knee - you get a thigh gap. Q between 22 and 9 is normal for women, outside that can lead to knee and hip issues like arthritis, ligamentous strains, etc.

Huh. Interesting. :flowerforyou:
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First of all, you gotta have wide hips. Narrow hips=no thigh gap, even if your bmi is like 14. Secondly, you just gotta lose fat. I fthat doesn't work, then you gotta lose muscle.
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    IMO thigh gaps are very unattractive....just sayin'
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    IMO thigh gaps are very unattractive....just sayin'
    *sigh*

Was that necessary?
  • bodyisawonderland
    Options
    Soldiergirl, you don't have to change your DNA or any crap like that. I've never had that defeatist attitude and (with my narrow hips) COMPLETELY reshaped my thighs and legs in a way I used to believe was impossible. Like, I kid you not - I thought (just like a lot of people above me) that I had inherited my legs from my grandmother and mother. MEANING, I had gross fat around my knees and up along my inner thigh.

I seriously envied very thin (and usually tall girls) whose limbs just appeared to be naturally slender.

The thing is a lot of people tell themselves it's impossible to reach their bodies goals as an excuse. If you get thin enough, you'll get a gap. Period. End of story. Not saying you need to starve yourself. HARDLY! Athletes and bodybuilders and bikini models cut all the time, which means restricting food and going in a deficit to lose fat.

On top of that, if you try to get thin enough because your lower body stores your stubborn body fat and you're not liking the way the rest of you looks (like you're losing your breast and your arms are getting too skinny) there are OTHER things that can be done. I kid you not! And i'm not talking about liposuction (please, whatever you do - don't do that! Unless youw ant to end up with a fat neck and ankles or something)

Sorry if I'm coming off a little harsh but it really annoys me how quickly others are to discourage people to do something that is absolutely doable! My advice is to only take advice from people who've done what you want to do.

Honestly, if you really want some answers I highly suggest you google the book "The Thigh Gap Hack". It'll tell you the diet and fitness things because exercising the wrong way will not do you any favors. All exercises are not created equally. The book also covers the OTHER things I mentioned above.

It's worth giving it a try because nobody is saying anything you haven't already heard or giving you solutions besides giving up.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Soldiergirl, you don't have to change your DNA or any crap like that. I've never had that defeatist attitude and (with my narrow hips) COMPLETELY reshaped my thighs and legs in a way I used to believe was impossible. Like, I kid you not - I thought (just like a lot of people above me) that I had inherited my legs from my grandmother and mother. MEANING, I had gross fat around my knees and up along my inner thigh.

I seriously envied very thin (and usually tall girls) whose limbs just appeared to be naturally slender.

The thing is a lot of people tell themselves it's impossible to reach their bodies goals as an excuse. If you get thin enough, you'll get a gap. Period. End of story. Not saying you need to starve yourself. HARDLY! Athletes and bodybuilders and bikini models cut all the time, which means restricting food and going in a deficit to lose fat.

On top of that, if you try to get thin enough because your lower body stores your stubborn body fat and you're not liking the way the rest of you looks (like you're losing your breast and your arms are getting too skinny) there are OTHER things that can be done. I kid you not! And i'm not talking about liposuction (please, whatever you do - don't do that! Unless youw ant to end up with a fat neck and ankles or something)

Sorry if I'm coming off a little harsh but it really annoys me how quickly others are to discourage people to do something that is absolutely doable! My advice is to only take advice from people who've done what you want to do.

Honestly, if you really want some answers I highly suggest you google the book "The Thigh Gap Hack". It'll tell you the diet and fitness things because exercising the wrong way will not do you any favors. All exercises are not created equally. The book also covers the OTHER things I mentioned above.

It's worth giving it a try because nobody is saying anything you haven't already heard or giving you solutions besides giving up.

Good luck!
    If you have a thigh gap at a healthy weight and size it is because you have the correct body structure to have one. Period.

Look through a Victoria's Secret catalogue some time. All those women are as tiny as can be and most (probably all) of them airbrushed. About half have a thigh gap and half do not. Guess why.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of kids, they spread your hips like nobody's business. Problem solved. I am rocking one mean thigh gap.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I think the only gap between a womans thighs she needs to worry about is how wide her legs are when she is squatting. You want a thigh gap....starve yourself otherwise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is me at eleven years old.

11.jpg

I was about 70 pounds and a little under 5' tall. I was a very skinny kid.

And even then... my thighs touched.

No amount of weight loss is going to change that.
  • Fish_Fuzz
    Fish_Fuzz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Gotta be a barbie! That B!tch has EVERYTHING!

IMG_1313_zps66cb71e1.jpg
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Best way to get thigh gap - part your knees.

In photos, you will see a lot of models stand with feet together and tilt their pelvis' forward as well, to help create/widen a gap.

Victoria Secret model Candace Swanoposit does this ALL the time - that girl had better have an excellent back doctor because whenever I see photos of her the contortion of her spine just looks painful.

You could have kids and see if that pushes the hips out - they might not go back in.

But seriously, that 'thigh gap' is all to do with genetics. Some people have a wide pelvis coupled with narrow thighs, some don't. Some people have narrow pelvis/narrow thighs, some don't.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yep - genetics, I have wide hips and thin legs. I'd rather have a nice round booty, mine's flat as a board.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Try spreading them :wink:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have one now and I'm not sure how I feel about it. :ohwell:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Seriously? If thigh gap is all you have to worry about then I'd say you're leading a pretty awesome life...::bigsmile: I've never ever thought of it before until coming onto this site....

Ditto. I have LOTS of male friends (thanks to my car fetish) and never, ever have I heard them speak of "thigh gaps" (at least not in an appealing way....). Most men want to know that the thighs will OPEN at some point...not whether they came with a gap in the first place. :bigsmile:

I'm fairly certain, with what I can see in your pic, you will have NO problem attracting men....with or without said "gap". :flowerforyou:
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what the facination with the gap is. Women are suppose to have curves and those curves don't just mean T&A!! . I know we all have our own ideal of what we want to look like but I hope that ideal is realistic for your body. I am 5'3'' with a natually muscular build. I will never have long lean dancers legs. Sure I can get my legs lean but they will never look like someone who is 5'11'' with a natually lean build...its just impossible. Please ladies make yourself the best you, you can be.....not the closest thing to what magazines say you should be.

<--- has a thigh gap, and curves. Measurements are 36, 25, 36.

Women who don't have thigh gaps are beautiful. Women who do have thigh gaps are beautiful too. There's nothing wrong with having one assuming it's just based on bone structure and nothing unhealthy was done to achieve it. I got mine when I hit 140 lbs at 5'4", so it's not like I was starving myself or even trying to get one.

agreed with all. personally I don't like thigh gaps they make some women look unhealthy thin but I get that they can't help it if it's in their genes. women are supposed to be curvy. I know i'll never have a thigh gap. no matter how much I weigh
  • 2belll
    2belll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ouch it makes me really sad to see this photo and think of all those poor little chinese girls who had their feet broken all in the name of beauty :(
    good point
    beauty fads are just that fads made popular by people who love their bodies and know how to show them off !!!
    I say start your own fad !!!!
  • 2belll
    2belll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Even when I was in the best shape of my life I didnt have it, any ideas?

Liberal application of a cheese grater?

Seriously though, it's a silly fleeting fad that's unachievable without either a) the genetics for wide hips or b) great pain. File it under other stupid physical fashion fads like:

image.php?&aid=827&foot-binding.jpg

It's about as bonkers.

ouch it makes me really sad to see this photo and think of all those poor little chinese girls who had their feet broken all in the name of beauty :(
    good point
    beauty fads are just that fads made popular by people who love their bodies and know how to show them off !!!
    I say start your own fad !!!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've always wondered what the facination with the gap is. Women are suppose to have curves and those curves don't just mean T&A!! . I know we all have our own ideal of what we want to look like but I hope that ideal is realistic for your body. I am 5'3'' with a natually muscular build. I will never have long lean dancers legs. Sure I can get my legs lean but they will never look like someone who is 5'11'' with a natually lean build...its just impossible. Please ladies make yourself the best you, you can be.....not the closest thing to what magazines say you should be.

<--- has a thigh gap, and curves. Measurements are 36, 25, 36.

Women who don't have thigh gaps are beautiful. Women who do have thigh gaps are beautiful too. There's nothing wrong with having one assuming it's just based on bone structure and nothing unhealthy was done to achieve it. I got mine when I hit 140 lbs at 5'4", so it's not like I was starving myself or even trying to get one.

agreed with all. personally I don't like thigh gaps they make some women look unhealthy thin but I get that they can't help it if it's in their genes. women are supposed to be curvy. I know i'll never have a thigh gap. no matter how much I weigh
    You can have curves AND a thigh gap.

And women are supposed to be whatever they are.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    choose different parents.
    why on earth is this even a priority for anyone?