Rude Dude Rant

Options
15678911»

Replies

• poeticsuture
    Options
    It's not the past as so much last month for me. Anyways, the issue isn't me letting it go, it is the fact that people intentionally hurt complete strangers for fun. This kind of behavior should not be accepted in our adult culture.
  • poeticsuture
    Options
    It's not the past as so much last month for me. Anyways, the issue isn't me letting it go, it is the fact that people intentionally hurt complete strangers for fun. This kind of behavior should not be accepted in our adult culture.

Correction, last month is the past. I was talking like it is not from my high school days or years ago. It was last month, and committed by a full grown adult male.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Correction, last month is the past. I was talking like it is not from my high school days or years ago. It was last month, and committed by a full grown adult male.

Yes, I can relate. People say some truly terrible things to completely random strangers for no good reason. You are right that this kind of behavior is not acceptable in adult culture. As I've gotten older, I'd feel more comfortable addressing the person if they were close enough--I'd simply ask them what they get out of trying to make me feel bad. Usually, though, people who say mean things are cruising by in a car--a d*ck and drive. Remembering that people like that will be the same way to just about anyone helps, though. I've had numerous occasions where I am walking small children and had the kids get mocked, or been mocked even though the kids are there. That helps me just reduce it down to *lame* rather than personal.

(I don't usually interpret looks, just direct comments. I luckily haven't gotten any rude direct comments in a while. I don't like getting honked at or whistled at, because I automatically feel made fun of, but I recognize that I have no way of knowing the intention behind the act. People perceive the act of honking or whistling so differently. Some see it as giving a compliment, while I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless I know they are desired. I don't compliment people on weight loss unless they have been open with me about their efforts.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes, I can relate. People say some truly terrible things to completely random strangers for no good reason. You are right that this kind of behavior is not acceptable in adult culture. As I've gotten older, I'd feel more comfortable addressing the person if they were close enough--I'd simply ask them what they get out of trying to make me feel bad. Usually, though, people who say mean things are cruising by in a car--a d*ck and drive. Remembering that people like that will be the same way to just about anyone helps, though. I've had numerous occasions where I am walking small children and had the kids get mocked, or been mocked even though the kids are there. That helps me just reduce it down to *lame* rather than personal.

(I don't usually interpret looks, just direct comments. I luckily haven't gotten any rude direct comments in a while. I don't like getting honked at or whistled at, because I automatically feel made fun of, but I recognize that I have no way of knowing the intention behind the act. People perceive the act of honking or whistling so differently. Some see it as giving a compliment, while I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless I know they are desired. I don't compliment people on weight loss unless they have been open with me about their efforts.)

Of course that behavior is not accepted in adult culture. That said, adults also walk away and brush off comments from insignificant strangers and go about their daily business. Don't take it personally, they are simply acting like *kitten* hats and you happened to be there at the wrong time. Do not allow them to control your emotions.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Of course that behavior is not accepted in adult culture. That said, adults also walk away and brush off comments from insignificant strangers and go about their daily business. Don't take it personally, they are simply acting like *kitten* hats and you happened to be there at the wrong time. Do not allow them to control your emotions.

I agree with this as well. The better I feel about myself, the easier it is to brush off. Learning to be ok with yourself helps cultivate the Eff It attitude.