USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say I completely disagree with Lone_Wolf. I do think this is something worth celebrating.

That said I think Lone_Wolf and everyone who agrees with him should be allowed to rain on our parade and that we should just learn to dance in the rain.

We are having this conversation in an open chat forum on the internet. This means we should expect that not everyone is going to agree with us and that even those that disagree with us should have the right to post the same as we do.

I say that the best thing to do is to put their comments through logical scrutiny. If they can defend their position with logic then they their position deserves to be heard. If their position does not stand up to logic then it deserves to be publicly destroyed.

I welcome everyone's input because I certainly don't want mine excluded.

I also think that they should be allowed to make a thread lamenting the loss of DOMA's power and they should expect people like me to be in there debating with them.

You don't make the rules for MFP. This is a divisice topic and should not be allowed to be up.

It'll be taken down in due time. The moderators will see to it. Until then, I say let the celebration continue! :bigsmile:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.

Then feel free to test that theory instead of raining on our rainbow parade.
    First off I want to say I completely disagree with Lone_Wolf. I do think this is something worth celebrating.

That said I think Lone_Wolf and everyone who agrees with him should be allowed to rain on our parade and that we should just learn to dance in the rain.

We are having this conversation in an open chat forum on the internet. This means we should expect that not everyone is going to agree with us and that even those that disagree with us should have the right to post the same as we do.

I say that the best thing to do is to put their comments through logical scrutiny. If they can defend their position with logic then they their position deserves to be heard. If their position does not stand up to logic then it deserves to be publicly destroyed.

I also think that they should be allowed to make a thread lamenting the loss of DOMA's power and they should expect people like me to be in there debating with them.

Excuse me sir. All I have said is that this topic doesnt belong here. Thats it.

Ok then perhaps you are not against gay marriage. My bad. I still stand behind what I said in a general sense even if you are not a member of the opposing camp.

I know that MFP might have it's own position with regard to what we are allowed to discuss in the general forums and it is their right to shut down any thread that they see fit. So from the perspective of MFP any topic that can be considered divisive they can shut down.

I think MFP really just cares about maintaining a positive atmosphere within the community. In other words if we can discuss a topic maturely then they are less likely to enforce the rule. Their rules are theirs to enforce in a manner consistent with their own arbitrary whims.

I think we should be less like a bunch of children running and a playground looking for infractions to complain about and more like civilized adults discussing topics in a logical manner and that means that we have to allow everyone to have their say.

How very tolerant of you.
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options
    I think we should be less like a bunch of children running and a playground looking for infractions to complain about and more like civilized adults discussing topics in a logical manner and that means that we have to allow everyone to have their say.
    As long as you agree with the topic. Right?
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

You don't make the rules for MFP. This is a divisice topic and should not be allowed to be up.

I never said I made the rules for MFP. If they want to lock down the thread they are going to and that will be that. I can still have my opinions about the freedom of communication. I don't see why you are even coming after me. My position is you should be allowed to post in any public forum thread no matter how wrong you are.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. There's just a right way and wrong way to disagree.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wahooo. The battle has been won, but the war for equality is far from over. Good step in the right direction though! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options
    if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. There's just a right way and wrong way to disagree.
    You and he would probably be the first to report a thread if it was something you found against the rules. If it is a topic you agree with you don't care what the rules are.
  • soldier4242
    Options

No in fact the bulk of what I am saying only applies when we don't agree. Tolerance is necessary when we all agree. You don't have any need to be tolerant of things that you like and agree with. Tolerance by definition must apply when we are talking about things we do not agree upon. If I am having to be tolerant of something it means that I don't like it or I would prefer it if it were gone.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    You and he would probably be the first to report a thread if it was something you found against the rules. If it is a topic you agree with you don't care what the rules are.
    You are completely incorrect sir and if that is the crux of your reason for disagreeing with me then you are done. I am an atheist but I have time and again posted in favor of people having their prayer thread and their threads that claim nobody can lose weight without god. I believe in free speech even when it is as insipid as yours. You are the one who is calling for censorship. I have said within this very thread that you should be allowed to post what you want.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Good news indeed.

It's like the cave just got electric lighting.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure what your deal is. I am just saying we can all have civil discussions without slinging mud. I'm not a whistle blower, so I don't report threads, unless people are out and out name-calling and/or attacking other members or body bashing.
  • louise62602
    Options
    YaY!!!!! It's a small step but its still a step!
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Good news indeed.

Like the last cave on the block that got electric lighting. But, progress is progress and I hope to keep seeing steps in the right direction! :drinker:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    WooooHoooo!

FYI, tolerance is important. I wish that everyone would learn that lesson, but of course it takes time with equality for those who disagree to become tolerant. Think how long it took in the south to accept that seperate was not equal.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    So excited!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.

Then feel free to test that theory instead of raining on our rainbow parade.

Excuse me sir. All I have said is that this topic doesnt belong here. Thats it.

Ok then perhaps you are not against gay marriage. My bad. I still stand behind what I said in a general sense even if you are not a member of the opposing camp.

I know that MFP might have it's own position with regard to what we are allowed to discuss in the general forums and it is their right to shut down any thread that they see fit. So from the perspective of MFP any topic that can be considered divisive they can shut down.

I think MFP really just cares about maintaining a positive atmosphere within the community. In other words if we can discuss a topic maturely then they are less likely to enforce the rule. Their rules are theirs to enforce in a manner consistent with their own arbitrary whims.

How very tolerant of you.

It is possible that you are being sarcastic and you are condescending to me because you think I am pompous and arrogant or something equally negative. This is the internet and we are communicating with text so I can't rule that out but if you are being serious then I thank you.

I do try to be tolerant when it is appropriate and I do try to approach things with an even hand. I realize I may have jumped to a hasty conclusion about your overall views of the issue at hand and for that I did have to own up to it but I didn't want the overall idea to be lost.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Good news indeed.

Like the last cave on the block that got electric lighting. But, progress is progress and I hope to keep seeing steps in the right direction! :drinker:

So now we can bang sober!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome day!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is very exciting and a step in the right direction!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

I have reported you for being a fake profile. You just joined the site, your first forum past was today and you somehow end up only in a relationship thread before switching over to this DOMA thread...how convenient. Are you Lone_Wolf? I bet you are. If not, you're still just a troll. TROLL!

This is not me. WTF? all i have said on here is "this is not for Chit chat".
This discussion has been closed.