Salad.. great. Dressing.. AWFUL?

Options
mluxo91
mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
I love to eat salads - low calorie, lots of essential vitamins and nutrients. I spice mine up with a little meat and cheese so as to try to keep it a balanced meal. Then I get to the dressing.. and I wince every time. Is salad dressing a huge blow to my meal? Most of the content is fat, even if the calorie content is not THAT detrimental. Can someone who knows more about nutrition than I help me?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon or tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil depending on how large my salad is and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar or a balsamic if you prefer. I also add some salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. It is very tasty to me and not drowning in dressing with lots of crappy ingredients. Also the olive oil enables your body to metabolize the salad veggies better.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I love salad and don't mind the added fat in dressing (I like Drews garlic peppercorn or I make my own with oil, vinegar and mustard). It makes it more of a meal for me. It can make the calories add up quickly so if I'm limited in calories left I do watch it.

If you're concerned about the calories salsa is good, or lime and cilantro blended together. Cottage cheese with seasoning added can mimic a creamy dressing and adds good protein.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just put balsamic vinegar or lemon juice on mine. Tastes great. Just make sure that there is some fat in the salad to help absorb nutrients (I like avocado but cheese works).
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fat, man people don't get enough fat.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't mind fatty salad dressings, but I'd definitely check out the sugar content of grocery store ones. Usually they have a lot of high fructose corn syrup. Making your own can be tasty. If you really aren't down with fat, salsa makes a pretty tasty 'dressing' depending on what's in your salad.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    As has been said, some is okay. I have gotten used to usually doing without, but sometimes I use the Ken's Light dressings. I really like the Sweet Vidalia one. Just don't use the big ladle to scoop bleu cheese at the salad bar. I crack up when I see people "eating light" getting a salad and then right on top of the bacon bits they put a big scoop of full fat ranch or bleu...
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use Ken's Steakhouse Lite honey mustard. I love a good salad, but don't want to have a heavy dressing. But honey mustard is my favorite. This is only 80 calories for 2 tablespoons, more than enough. I don't mind the added fat, the low fat count on the salad balances it out.

If I can't find the Lite version, I will get regular. For some reason, the lite is hard to find. I'm either the only person that buys it, or everyone else gets to it before me!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fat, man people don't get enough fat.

Agreed. In addition to my fatty dressing I usually have an avocado as well.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I love salad and dressing. I've just learned to keep the dressing on the side and dip my fork tines in it so each bite has a little dressing. I can usually get by with no more than 1 Tbsp depending on how thick it is.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Beware of "Lite" or low fat salad dressings. Often they lower the fat, but replace it with a bunch of sugar to maintain the taste.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I've been using Maple Grove Balsamic Vinaigrette....fat free or sugar free. http://www.maplegrove.com/content_products.asp?g=1
    Also the Kraft italian /zesty fat free. I don't like to feel guilty dousing the salad with dressing so I opt for the lighter versions and just pour it on.
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    I usually eat trader joes champagne pear vinaigrette, or kens dressing. I am not a fan of balsamic vinegar. If I do want to "splurge" on dressing (I love avocado ranch). I place a drop on my fork, and stir it over the salad greens. I throw the rest away. When I realized that a pack of salad dressing that I use to eat as over 300 calories and I try to eat less than 400 calories a meal, I had to make changes. I hope you find a dressing you like that is tasty and fits into your daily calorie allotment.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. :smile: I have a couple of bad azz recipes, if you're interested in something other than plain ol' oil and vinegar. :happy: You'll never buy store bought dressings again :tongue:
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating salad at home, it's usually with grilled chicken or some ground turkey taco meat on it. And I make my own "dressing" by stirring together 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese with a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Mix that into the salad, and it's pretty tasty. Adds more protein, too, and it's less than 100 calories.
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings, it's super easy. I usually use lime juice and mix it with olive oil and spices like cumin and paprika. It's delicious i swear!!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think some healthy fats to eat along with the veggies actually help you absorb the health benefits of the vegetables better. Not exactly sure of the science or reasoning behind it.

Sometimes I skip the dressing but will have some walnuts to get the fat in.

Edit: this is what I meant
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20040727/fat-helps-vegetables-go-down
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If the calorie content is not that detrimental some fat is good for you and okay. I personally always ask for my dressing on the side to save cals. I eat all the pieces of lettuce with a meat or cheese or tasty veggie to keep it from getting plain. If there's beans or nuts same thing. Then when all that is gone and all I have is lettuce, if I'm not full I use the dressing just for that and that causes me to use a tiny bit. I started this practice when I was scared of fats and dressing's calories. Now I do it because I like tasting all those other ingredients which I'm probably paying a lot more for, like the grilled seasoned meats, the fancy cheeses, the pricey nuts, etc. I now feel like it's overkill to top flavor with more flavor and then not even get to taste the original flavor. The end.
  • NikAtNight82
    NikAtNight82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating salad at home, it's usually with grilled chicken or some ground turkey taco meat on it. And I make my own "dressing" by stirring together 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese with a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Mix that into the salad, and it's pretty tasty. Adds more protein, too, and it's less than 100 calories.

I do this also. Lately an avocado and lots of Tabasco either the smoked or the green stuff is enough to balance out any flavor or dryness issues in my salads.
    84516 Posts: 2
    Options
    Can you share the recipes? It sounds great!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Can you share the recipes? It sounds great!

Here are my two "go-to" recipes...I usually make one, then when that one is gone, I make the other. that way, I don't get sick of either. :tongue:

Creamy Garlic Dressing
    (Makes 10 servings, about 2 Tbsp. each)

Ingredients
    ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp. Himalayan salt
    ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 Tbsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)

Directions
    1. Place oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, mustard, and honey in a blender or food processor; cover with lid. Blend until smooth.
    2. Refrigerate dressing if not using immediately. If dressing solidifies when cold, hold at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir before serving.

Nutrition
    Calories: 119
    Total Fat: 11 g
    Saturated Fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 235 mg
    Carbohydrate: 6 g
    Fiber: 0 g
    Sugar: 5 g
    Protein: 0 g

Greek Dressing
    (Makes 8 servings, about 2 Tbsp. each)

Ingredients
    ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
    1 tsp. herbal seasoning blend
    2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Directions
    1. Place oil, red wine and balsamic vinegars, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, mustard, salt, seasoning blend, and parsley in a blender or food processor, in 2 or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid. Blend until smooth.
    2. Refrigerate dressing if not using immediately. If dressing solidifies when cold, hold at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir before serving.

Nutrition
    Calories: 127
    Total Fat: 14 g
    Saturated Fat: 2 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 150 mg
    Carbohydrate: 1 g
    Fiber: 0 g
    Sugar: 0 g
    Protein: 0 g

Enjoy!
    -Christina