Replies

• lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    bump
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Sorry no idea what "bump" means in this context:sad: :blushing: ??????
  • 33casey
    33casey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share a little more information on Eat Stop Eat. I am in the middle of this great book called "Empowering Your Health" by Dr. Asa Andrew and he mentions the benefits of fasting for 24 hours. I just thought it was interesting that I came across that section of the book last night after I learned about Eat Stop Eat (for the first time) on this message board that same day. He says that it is important to give our digestive system a break and allow it to eliminate toxins. Just thought his points were interesting and made me even more inspired to try Eat Stop Eat, not just for weight loss reasons, but for the overall health of my body. Its a pretty good book for anyone who is interested in learning more about what we put in our bodies and how we truly "are what we eat". Just some food for thought!
  • BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Am slightly confused as I had assumed that a fast meant only no cal liquids i.e. tea, coffee, water perhaps some lemon juice in tea if required but no sugar so daily intake would be 0 calories but then I see someone has 1,000 on a "fast" day!!! Could someone clarify please? Thanks

It all depends on what time you are done fasting. If you fast from 10pm wed to 10pm thurs night, it will be very difficult to get any calories in if you go straight to bed. But if you are fasting from 3pm to 3pm the next day, for example, you have the opportunity to eat a late lunch and dinner and even snacks; which we all know can equal way over 1000 cal if not controlled. Its up to you how much you eat after you are done fasting. I try to be sensible but so far have done half way decent.

AFM. Today was supposed to be my fast day. BUT I ate at 2pm or so. I was starving for some reason. And I went for a very tasty but not smart shrimp poboy and fries. SHOOT ME! But I did 60 sit up and I'm about to pop in a cardio dvd ( FIRM) bc I feel like a sloth. I will try again from 6pm tonight to 6pm tomorrow.

Does anyone think 3 days a week is over doing it? I like how I feel when I fast and I know it's beneficial for me. Just wondering you guys opinion, in the mean time I'm off to google it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but yeah I think 3 days is too much. I am only doing one a week and that is plenty for me :P Doing it now, got until 7pm tonight :)
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here I am, 3 weeks now into this program that the dieticians at our gym, guinea pigged me into. I'm not big on fasting, not at all, I work out hard and I don't want to lose muscle and what about replacing my protein afterwards? I'm just a HUGE skeptic. anyhow, i've been following Brad's plan for three weeks, and the reason I decided to let myself be volunteered is because Brad as well as being a dietician is also a bodybuilder, sooo, thought I'd give it a go. In three weeks i've dropped 2.4 pounds, I'm at 109 and a bit lbs, down from 112, I need to get to 108. Which I will. I can tell you it's the easiest fast i've ever done. Cause I don't feel like i'm fasting. I'm doing it 2x's a week. It's not for everyone, I don't count calories, I eat sensibly the rest of the time, and it's very important to follow some kind of resistance training program to get the full benefit. I actually have a ton of energy on fasting days. I've seen more lean muscle mass lately then i've seen in awhile. I think I actually may adapt this as a permanent way to lean for a competition. It beats the traditional way of dehydration and damn near starvation. I fast from 6:00p.m on the first day until 6:00p.m on the second day, then I eat normally. During the fast, I drink lots of water and no-cal juices. I'm really happy with my results, and for those of you who do fast, and are successful..I actually "get it" now. I'm very surprised to find that i'm putting friends and family through this program as well..it just works so very well. I sound like an infomercial..lol, it's all good, it's working for me! It's a quite simple and effective and safe way to get into a calorie deficit..without pain...the hardest part for me, was giving up my breakfast on the fast day, but then I just ate it for dinner:laugh: .
    just putting on option out there for people, it's working for me, not for everyone, especially if you're diabetic or if you plan on doing no resistance training, then definitely don't do it! If you're anti-fasting, as I actually once was, then that's ok too, we're all allowed our own opinions and strategies when it comes to getting those stubborn pounds off. :drinker: I'm happy to say, these few pounds that i've been struggling to get off since May..are gone! and for that it was worth my time.:wink:

is it okay to do this every other day for 2 weeks, for instance:

MONDAY: eat till 8pm
    Tues:no eating till 8pm
    wed:eat till 8
    thurs:no eating till 8
    ....etc.................?

and then wean it down to less days till im down to 1?????
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So my first fast was yesterday and I managed to do 21 hours. I really think I could have gone the duration though so I beat myself up about it a bit, I just wanted a sweet cup of tea lol. And then I managed to fit in over 1000 cals in the evening which I'm now disappointed with! :(

I am thinking about doing a second fast starting tonight but will see how tomorrows plans come about first as I'm packing for a week of camping (got to pack for the whole family!) so that will either help or hinder a fast. I want to do the full 24 hours this time though so might eat dinner a little earlier tonight - I find the "before sleep" time the easiest not to eat.

-x-x-
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    p1nkpr1ncess - GREAT JOB!!! Like you, once I do it, I feel like I want to do it immediately again. Just be careful. Reasonability is what makes it work. Resetting your body and confusing it is I think how this idea works, rather than an every other day diet. But it is empowering. I like to use it especially after a weekend away from my usual diet or an evening out with friends as it helps me to get my body and mind back into eating healthy again if I have splurged.

I got a late start last night and ate at 10 p.m. So my fast will end today probably at 20 hours during dinnertime so I can get some decent calories in with a healthy dinner and probably a later snack. I have been doing this for three weeks and find that it helps me mentally, but unfortunately haven't lost a pound or an inch. But I'm going to keep persevering.

It's awesome hearing all the success stories and successful tries. Great thread.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Sorry no idea what "bump" means in this context:sad: :blushing: ??????
    People 'bump' in a thread to get the topic bumped back to the top of the topics or so they get a post in so it's in thier list of 'my topics' to make it easier to find.
  • californiajuls
    californiajuls Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I might try this. Thanks for all the information.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Just finished my first 24 hour fast & all went well. Can't weigh in as am at friends for a few days but felt fine all day & had a lovel hard 60 minute swim too.
  • sariah8
    sariah8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Maybe I don't fully understand the point of fasting, but if you're trying to lose weight, isn't it unhealthy and contradictory to not eat for 24 hours? You'll just gain the weight right back when you start eating again. Personally, I think of fasting as a form of anorexia....Not healthy.

I'm not being rude here, just curious. I don't get it. Why would you want to hurt yourself that way? Can someone explain to me the point? And why you think it's healthy?
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Everyone read Ori Hofmekler's book, "The Warrior Diet". This is essentially the same thing, althouh on his plan you do it everyday, but are allowed to snack on live fruits and veggies during the day. I don't personally follow the plan anymore, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You energy goes through the roof because your system isn't bogged down from digestion all day which makes you sluggish. It's a lifestyle choice though, I personally am choosing not to follow it right now because of business lunches that I have to eat at, other than that, it would certainly be my lifestyle of choice. You feel great doing it. You end up with the same amount of calories at the end of the day anyways.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Everyone read Ori Hofmekler's book, "The Warrior Diet". This is essentially the same thing, althouh on his plan you do it everyday, but are allowed to snack on live fruits and veggies during the day. I don't personally follow the plan anymore, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You energy goes through the roof because your system isn't bogged down from digestion all day which makes you sluggish. It's a lifestyle choice though, I personally am choosing not to follow it right now because of business lunches that I have to eat at, other than that, it would certainly be my lifestyle of choice. You feel great doing it. You end up with the same amount of calories at the end of the day anyways.

Yup I have got that book and read it a while ago. Have thought about trying it but hate to eat a huge meal at night. Would like to do it the other way round! Would that work do you think?
  • BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    AGAIN! I failed to fast. Friday will be my lucky day, esp because my friends want to do happy hour so I have to save up some calories for that. Gosh. I was doing so well week one. I need some kind of spark to get me back in stride. We shall she what tomorrow brings. And I agree, 3 days may be too much for me esp now that I have failed to fast 2 days in a row lol.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I went 23hrs yesterday as I was having dinner at parents and pretty rude to say "oh, can we wait an hour" :P

Had a good solid meal and some later pretty healthy snacking. Interestingly, I found the morning to be the most difficult yesterday. (it was 8pm to 7pm the next day)

Will do another one next week and then take some measurements etc. and see how it is all going. (had no alcohol either this month so I think this is pretty much as healthy as I can eat :P)

Sariah8: It's not about short term weight loss, it is about fat burning and getting a deficit over a longer period of time i.e. if you are wanting to lose but finding it hard to a) exercise enough b) eat at a calorific deficit over a week then if you have one day where you are fasting (for most of it) then it will be easier to achieve the calorific deficit over the whole week.

To put some numbers in: BMR is 2000. Aiming for 250cal deficit per day.

Assume zero exercise for simplicity.

Have been consuming 2000 cals/day and therefore not losing.

Total for week = 14000cals.

Do an ESE for one day and consume 1000cals. Therefore, 1000 cal deficit.

Weekly total now 13000 cals or 1857/day average. Meaning 143cal deficit/day average.

So doesn't make the target of 250cal deficit but over half way there. Add in some exercise and will make it.

ESE isn't saying that you should just do this as you will lose muscle. IMO heavy resistance training and a high protein diet on the other days should be utilised to avoid losing muscle and consequently lowering your BMR.

my 2c :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are trying this today, shooting for about 20 hours for the first time...just a few more to go. I think I can make it but I am starting to get pretty hungry. I actually thought it would be harder tho so I'm happy about that.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs so far. I'm on the 3rd fast. This time I will go for 26-28 hours since we're going to eat late late tonight.
    I may have a protein drink if I can't handle to wait for that long. I'm doing water fast every other day or at least every 2 days.
    I've been doing Alternate day diet which is similar to ESE but I have trouble with the Down day eat less 500 cal + exercise calorie
    because once I start eating just one bit or just a taste I can't stop eating. Since I do ESE fast.. it's so easy .. I brushed my teeth after the last meal.. and that's it for 24 hours... Fast day does help me control my emotion eating... I'm so stress out today but I can't eat because it's my fast day. I do count calorie but I eat my maintenant calorie. In a way I only have to diet every other day. Not event a whole day since I only skip breakfast and lunch.
    I switched from eating 5,6 meals a day, go the gym 6 times a week to this eating and on go work out 3 times at the gym.
    On my workout day,.. I do weight lifting then 15 minutes HIIT cardio work out and that's it.
    I found I save lots of time.. from not have eating, prepare food all the time.. and another extra 6 hours a week from not go to the gym every day! and save money on grocery bill from eat less and don't have to buy any specific kind of food (low carb).

Even you can have 3600 cal deficit from cutting your calorie every day or 3600 cal from ESE ,it does not the same affect.
    While you are on the fast.. your insulin level is low and grown hormone level is high (the best stage to burn fat), you will burn more fat. Also there is health benefiit with intermitten fast - improve health and prevent premature aging
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Ok, I don't exactly know what has happened. During the last week, I had a change of mindset and decided I want to put on a bit more weight so I didn't do ESE this week (would have been my 4th week in a row). I ate more than I did the 3 previous weeks. I did the same amount of exercise. I weighed myself at the same time etc. and I lost 1lb and have same BF% according to calipers and bioelectrical tester.

Take from this what you will, but I am confused :P I am thinking possibly that I was not eating enough previously (which I think is hard to believe personally) and that I am now actually closer to my maintenance level than before? Otherwise, I did have a few drinks for the first time in a long while on Saturday night and maybe I am still dehydrated? Not sure...? See how it all goes this week :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. What is the name of this guy and this book? Is it only an ebook, or is there anything related to it (besides The Warrior Diet) that I might find at a bookstore? Thanks~