Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

The OP wasn't talking about those guys, though. She was talking about everyday people at everyday gyms, and for those folks my comment stands.

Actually, she's talking about videos from you-tube, most likely not all 'everyday' people.

(LOL snap!)
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Yes, I do lift every single goddamn lift heavier than 70% of my 1RM, as a matter of fact. My program dictates it. And, as others have pointed out, some of the lifts are a lockout above the head. That is the lift. You drop the weight when finished. That is the correct form. Jesus Christ you are obstinate and don't even know what youre talking about.

I do know this - I'm glad I'm not at your gym.

Enjoy your day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    They ve managed to bend the dumbells at my gym...

Its always the attention seeking numb nutts that have an "invisible" male member on their foreheads

Lol. Classic ignorance.

Certain exercises require it because you can hurt your back or shoulders. Certain Olympic lifts, such as the snatch, require that when you're finished, you throw down the weight. There's no proper way to finish that lift nicely. If you do, you break form and can get hurt. There are many gyms that allow throwing the weight because its proper.

Yeah...it's kinda the whole reason their is an entire rack just for this purpose...it's called the power rack/cage for a reason.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    And are they lifting at >70%1RM EVERY DAMNED TIME?

Going that heavy isn't an everyday workout kind of thing, and it CERTAINLY isn't an everyday workout kind of thing for people who aren't lifting at that level.

LOL, 70% isn't an every day workout kind of thing? My work set weights are 80% 1RM and above usually for most lifts... so not sure where you got that info.

I'm probably an average guy at the gym... I also do power cleans and snatch to develop power. Using the correct equipment (bumper plates, half decent bar, platform) or even just some bumpers, it's perfectly fine to drop em. In a controlled drop where you keep your hands on it until it's close to the ground, it can even look like you're "throwing" the weight at the ground but as long as you aren't damaging equipment it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, change gyms. If you're launching it horizontally away from your body, then you're just being an *kitten*.

This is like the topic where people ***** about lifters "sitting on the bench" for 3 minutes between sets because they don't understand rest time requirements.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Question: I understand that when you're lifting really high weights, you risk injury by not dropping.

But wouldn't you also be gaining strength by lifting a somewhat lower weight that you can control on the way back down? If your goal is just to be fit and healthy, not to enter any lifting comps or break any records, that is.

My weights are upstairs. If I drop them, they'll end up going through my kitchen ceiling. :laugh: Ok, that's an over-exaggeration, but I'd still rather not drop them and make the whole house shake and freak out the cats.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    This is almost too much fun to watch. Non-lifters with an opinion about how lifters should lift.. lol

LOL....
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Question: I understand that when you're lifting really high weights, you risk injury by not dropping.

But wouldn't you also be gaining strength by lifting a somewhat lower weight that you can control on the way back down? If your goal is just to be fit and healthy, not to enter any lifting comps or break any records, that is.

My weights are upstairs. If I drop them, they'll end up going through my kitchen ceiling. :laugh: Ok, that's an over-exaggeration, but I'd still rather not drop them and make the whole house shake and freak out the cats.

Absolutely...but my program has me do a 1 rep 95% max evey 3 weeks....I'm dropping that clean and press as soon as I'm done lifting it.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well it is because of how heavy it is. See, when done lifting a heavy weight the lifter has very little strength left in their grip and to avoid injury or dropping it on something or someone it is easier to just throw it down in a safe place.

If you have enough strength and control left to set it down gently then you must not have lifted hard enough. You can do better than that.

^^^ This. I CrossFit, we drop our weights all of the time!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

you CLEARLY have no idea about olympic lifting.

yeeee-modder-focker-o.gif

hope that helps
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Going that heavy isn't an everyday workout kind of thing, and it CERTAINLY isn't an everyday workout kind of thing for people who aren't lifting at that level.

LOL, 70% isn't an every day workout kind of thing? My work set weights are 80% 1RM and above usually for most lifts... so not sure where you got that info.

I'm probably an average guy at the gym... I also do power cleans and snatch to develop power. Using the correct equipment (bumper plates, half decent bar, platform) or even just some bumpers, it's perfectly fine to drop em. In a controlled drop where you keep your hands on it until it's close to the ground, it can even look like you're "throwing" the weight at the ground but as long as you aren't damaging equipment it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, change gyms. If you're launching it horizontally away from your body, then you're just being an *kitten*.

This is like the topic where people ***** about lifters "sitting on the bench" for 3 minutes between sets because they don't understand rest time requirements.

^This! Just all of this.

ETA: Almost all my workouts are around 80% and when I "drop" Olympic lifts they are controlled.
    See, bumper plates.
    1005887_10200317386992472_344360148_n_zpse049316c.jpg
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In a controlled drop where you keep your hands on it until it's close to the ground, it can even look like you're "throwing" the weight at the ground but as long as you aren't damaging equipment it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, change gyms. If you're launching it horizontally away from your body, then you're just being an *kitten*.

This is the point.

There are people who throw the weights horizontally as a matter of course, even when they haven't lost control of the bar. There are people who drop them from full height every time and walk away while the bar rolls across the floor. And there are people who keep their hands on the bar so that it stays in some sort of control.

The first two kinds of people are jerks.

Thank you for saying it better than I did.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    In a controlled drop where you keep your hands on it until it's close to the ground, it can even look like you're "throwing" the weight at the ground but as long as you aren't damaging equipment it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, change gyms. If you're launching it horizontally away from your body, then you're just being an *kitten*.

This is the point.

There are people who throw the weights horizontally as a matter of course, even when they haven't lost control of the bar. There are people who drop them from full height every time and walk away while the bar rolls across the floor. And there are people who keep their hands on the bar so that it stays in some sort of control.

The first two kinds of people are jerks.

Thank you for saying it better than I did.

The bar also bounces across the floor sometimes if I'm lifting light and I drop after super high rep sets, am I a jerk too?
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Yes, you can also gain strength by using the eccentric portion of the lift. In fact, in most lifts, the eccentric portion is where the majority of the work is done and strength is gained.

However, some exercises are mainly or completely concentric in nature. For example, deadlifts can be done with an eccentric component but it is generally done mostly concentric.

Explosive/Olympic movements have no eccentric phase. You aren't using your strength to pull the bar up in a controlled fashion, you're exploding up. You can't lower it in a controlled manner either, especially at higher weights. The best you can do is drop it down your body, catch it at arms length on your thighs with straight elbows, and then lower it from there. And that's a good way to put a lot of stress on your shoulders and upper back, and collect some nice bruises on your thighs.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an EXCELLENT QUESTION! I was watching the worlds strongest men competing on TV and I thought to myself, those guys are just totally seeking attention by screaming really loud and just dropping the heavy weights on the ground. I mean the nerve of those ego maniacs!! It's totally unacceptable. As professionals they should be setting down the massive objects they lift and move as if you didn't even know they were there! Why can't these guys just be all quiet like everyone else?
  • Micksmom9
    Micksmom9 Posts: 8
    Options
    idk y they do it...my dad and I used to laugh at the loud grunting that went along with it lol
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well it is because of how heavy it is. See, when done lifting a heavy weight the lifter has very little strength left in their grip and to avoid injury or dropping it on something or someone it is easier to just throw it down in a safe place.

If you have enough strength and control left to set it down gently then you must not have lifted hard enough. You can do better than that.

No, it's because they're being an attention-seeking pillock.

I haven't come across the word 'pillock' in a while...good word. Thanks for the smile--and you're quite right!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I put my weights down nicely, quietly and gently as to not upset the weak and the timid. The loud clang of iron will jostle even the most hardened souls into cardiac arrest and will cause the jimmies to rustle ever so softly.......
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I put my weights down nicely, quietly and gently as to not upset the weak and the timid. The loud clang of iron will jostle even the most hardened souls into cardiac arrest and will cause the jimmies to rustle ever so softly.......

In for jimmie rustling....
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They are making up for something else they are deficient in...