Customer On Mobile Refused Service

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    As a cashier, the amount of annoyance at people on the phone depends on their reaction to my questions.

It is part of my job to get at least 80% phone capture, and 50% email capture. If I skip through those steps without asking the customer for them and a manager sees, that's my *kitten*. So if you're on the phone, I'm still gonna ask all the questions I need to ask. Some people will answer me politely. Other times I get a hand wave of dismissal like "go away".

I asked one woman on her phone if she wanted her receipt in the bag. She gave me the go away hand wave so I went to put the receipt in the bag and she snapped her fingers at me and pointed at the receipt and gave me a hand movement like "give that here". I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-

That's why I always pretend to be on the phone when I'm checking out: so you can't ask me for my phone number or email, or try to force another credit card on me... :wink:

Listen buddy, I just ask if you want to sign up and tell you where you can use the card. When you say no my next questions are "is this on one transaction" and "receipt in the bag okay?" If you're on the phone, I still ask for phone and email...I just do it loudly :D
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    some people don't care, they just want it all in the same bag if they are paying 5 cents per bag...some people REALLY care....

You have to pay per bag? Seriously, I've never seen this down in Americas.

LA just passed something like this for within the city I believe.

So has DC, MD, and I believe VA.

Being on the phone during check out is a bit rude.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I work at a grocery store and deal with people on their phones all the time. I don't think there should be a POLICY against it, but it's really freaking rude and I will not hesitate to smash your grapes. :flowerforyou:
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Subway and Arbys have signs asking not to be on the cell while in line. I like that.

Because you just know some biotch is gonna be on the phone, a mistake will be made (she grabbed 2 of the wrong item & wasn't watching it get rung up so didn't catch it - I always watch the item & price when it's scanned) and the cashier will get in trouble for it when the customer realizes it as she's walking out the door.

I agree -- if it's that important - go somewhere where you can focus on it. Otherwise, you'll be asking them to repeat it all over again later anyway...
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that ME being on the phone is anymore rude than the cashier and the bagger discussing their weekend plans... or the cashier saying "How are you today" and not even looking me in the face because it's just automatic to say it and not give a damn about the response. Not there to make life long friends with the clerk... I'm there to get my stuff, pay for it, and get out.
    In all fairness, it's normally company policy that the cashiers not carry on their own conversation while serving, why is it different for the customer?
    As a cashier, I find it rude. As a customer, I've ALWAYS thought it rude. It's just something you don't do.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

In all fairness, it's normally company policy that the cashiers not carry on their own conversation while serving, why is it different for the customer?

Because the cashier is a resource, and the customer is a consumer.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As a cashier, the amount of annoyance at people on the phone depends on their reaction to my questions.

It is part of my job to get at least 80% phone capture, and 50% email capture. If I skip through those steps without asking the customer for them and a manager sees, that's my *kitten*. So if you're on the phone, I'm still gonna ask all the questions I need to ask. Some people will answer me politely. Other times I get a hand wave of dismissal like "go away".

I asked one woman on her phone if she wanted her receipt in the bag. She gave me the go away hand wave so I went to put the receipt in the bag and she snapped her fingers at me and pointed at the receipt and gave me a hand movement like "give that here". I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-

That's why I always pretend to be on the phone when I'm checking out: so you can't ask me for my phone number or email, or try to force another credit card on me... :wink:

Listen buddy, I just ask if you want to sign up and tell you where you can use the card. When you say no my next questions are "is this on one transaction" and "receipt in the bag okay?" If you're on the phone, I still ask for phone and email...I just do it loudly :D

This. I've never heard of cashiers having guns under their registers to hold to your head to "force" you to sign up for a credit card lol Just say no.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I have been a cashier and it is incredibly rude for someone to be on their phone while in line, especially if I have a huge line of people waiting their turn. I would usually stand at my register and wait until they finished their conversation, staring at them until they got the point that I wasn't going to ask what they needed until they shut the hell up. I figure that's the better than acting on my desire to shove their phone down their throat. Of course, if it's an emergency, that's a different story. I also don't mind if they put their conversation on hold until we are finished. Common courtesy!
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options

And yet, we're both people and manners cost nothing. I wouldn't do it as a customer either, even as an obnoxious teenager. I always knew what was rude and what was not.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think its so rude to be on the phone. It is different if you are with someone in person talking to them. When you are on the phone in these cases you are saying "you are not a person to me, just a servant".

Being on the phone is more annoying to those around you than it is when you are having a conversation with another person in person. They did a study and something about hearing only 1/2 the conversation gets on other peoples nerves. Drives me crazy when people do it on the bus too.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a bank. I would not begin a transaction till the person was off their phone.
    1. It's rude
    2. I cant never tell if they're talking to me or the person on the phone.
    and 3. I'd have to ask them the same question about 5 times before they answered cause they were too busy on their phone.

I hated it!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

And yet, we're both people and manners cost nothing. I wouldn't do it as a customer either, even as an obnoxious teenager. I always knew what was rude and what was not.

Manners do 'cost nothing' but... on the other hand... Here's what changed my mind about it / drives me to the self check out...

The local grocery store started a 'small talk policy' with their employees.

I was really happy with the hi, how are you. Did you find everything OK? Yes/No Great/Let me get someone to help you. Quick, efficient, whatever.

But now... it's a crapshoot. Either you get an interrogation when you get to the checkout lane "Oh, magnums, cucumbers, a blindfold and a cheese grater, what are you doing this weekend? And then a bunch of follow up questions." Or, the Cashier gives you a random life story and holds you up in line.

Or worse, the person ahead of you is a chatty cathy too, and now the whole line is held up while the cashier and customer, long since finished with the transaction, carry on like long lost friends.

So at least in that particular grocery store, the phone comes out of the pocket and up to my ear. - Except - and this is going to sound really sexist - if the cashier is a dude. Because then I can get through with a simple "Sup" and I'm out the door in two seconds.

Of course in any circumstance of a transaction that requires conversation, put the damn phone away. Next time I see someone trying to hold a cellphone convo while arguing about coupons and item substitutions with a clerk, I'm going to throw their phone through a closed door.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good on the cashier
    People on their mobiles are really starting to do my nut, especially in the cinema
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    call me crazy but I'd have told that cashier to shove it up her **beep beep beep** I'm there to pay for my goods, I'll say my hi's, thanks, and byes but I'm going to be on my phone and if she still refused please feel free to find yourself another job, maybe in a call centre where you can talk to people all day long because I would kick up the mother of all complaints ! Where exactly does it say in a stores policy I a. have to talk to you, b. aren't allowed to be on my phone at the time !

kmt.....craziness, don't be wasting peoples time !

admittedly I've never done it...I hate talking on the phone, but for those who need to or like it/want to, it's their right !
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    This is just one example of the increasingly rude, selfish society we live in today. We need a 21st century Debretts to remind ourselves of good manners and proper etiquette, incorporating technology and modern situations.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's incredibly tacky to talk on the phone when you're interacting with other people. It's also inconsiderate, as you could be holding up the rest of the line by not paying attention.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Guess it makes me a jerk... but if someone said to me "Get off your phone or I won't serve you" I would say "Get me your manager so we can chat about how I'm probably not shopping here again". :blushing:

I don't feel that ME being on the phone is anymore rude than the cashier and the bagger discussing their weekend plans... or the cashier saying "How are you today" and not even looking me in the face because it's just automatic to say it and not give a damn about the response. Not there to make life long friends with the clerk... I'm there to get my stuff, pay for it, and get out.

I usually do say to whomever I am speaking to "Just hold on a minute, I'm checking out" and keep quiet long enough to swipe the card and answer questions if there are any from the clerk. Good enough for me... and seems to work for the clerks in my area too.

^this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

and this ^
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Manners do 'cost nothing' but... on the other hand... Here's what changed my mind about it / drives me to the self check out...

The local grocery store started a 'small talk policy' with their employees.

I was really happy with the hi, how are you. Did you find everything OK? Yes/No Great/Let me get someone to help you. Quick, efficient, whatever.

But now... it's a crapshoot. Either you get an interrogation when you get to the checkout lane "Oh, magnums, cucumbers, a blindfold and a cheese grater, what are you doing this weekend? And then a bunch of follow up questions." Or, the Cashier gives you a random life story and holds you up in line.

Or worse, the person ahead of you is a chatty cathy too, and now the whole line is held up while the cashier and customer, long since finished with the transaction, carry on like long lost friends.

So at least in that particular grocery store, the phone comes out of the pocket and up to my ear. - Except - and this is going to sound really sexist - if the cashier is a dude. Because then I can get through with a simple "Sup" and I'm out the door in two seconds.

Of course in any circumstance of a transaction that requires conversation, put the damn phone away. Next time I see someone trying to hold a cellphone convo while arguing about coupons and item substitutions with a clerk, I'm going to throw their phone through a closed door.

^and this...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    and finally this...

What if it's November 2013, and I finally hit goal weight and it's starting to get cold out and I need like 5 pairs of jeans STAT. and 5 sweaters and a coat all in my new size. and I researched my purchases late at night on the internet and know exactly what I want. and I have precisely 20 minutes to make that purchase so I run in the store. and precisely at that moment the kiddo's school calls to tell me he needs something. and I take all those things worth nearly a grand to the checkout counter. Are you gonna tell me you are gonna get all butthurt over whether or not I ask if you had a nice day, and are gonna d!ck me around for my receipt and play 20 questions with me if the manager can see I'm non communicative as much as they can see you at least tried? This is not customer service. It's just not. Most places I shop already have all my email phone "capture" anyways. Nice to feel like prey though, thanks for the lingo. And thanks for the small talk to make me feel special when I'm buying but how about at MY convenience okay. As the customer and all.
This discussion has been closed.