40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Morning all from windy and rainy Scotland. Bah! Who stole our summer?
    Again. :grumble:
    I am a bit down at the moment as the scale went up 2lbs since I started TDEE -20%. Self doubt and all returned...
    I have been doing it for 6 weeks and I think I am done. Going back to mfp + exercise cals.
    What bothers me most is that it means I will not achieve my goal by 30 July.

On the positive note I have discovered baked oats yesterday! OMG :) Love it. Made it with strawberries and the smell was just mmm.

Have a good day y'all.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Room for one more in the group? 45 year old female, 5'9", SW 184 CW 163 GW 155 but we'll see how it goes.

I've been doing two cardio sessions, one lifting session with a trainer, and 1-2 interval classes a week, but I'm a bit worried as I seem to have re-aggravated a back injury from a few years ago (messed up L5S1, basically couldn't move my left leg, got it back together with physical therapy but am now feeling a bit more pins and needles/numbness in the left foot than I care for). Heading back in to physical therapy next week--hoping it's nothing serious and that they can give me some advice on my workouts. If they tell me I can only use the elliptical and should give up on running on the treadmill, I won't cry too hard. Still haven't figured out how to run and breathe at the same time.

And Tanana66, baked oats rock! I've basically been alternating between that and refrigerator oatmeal for breakfast since February. Yummy, and I managed to drop my total cholesterol 42 points.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Happy Canada Day! to all of you Canadians.

Congratulations Beeps you look fantastic! Could't agree with you more about everything being possible if you just put the effort. I will be having my measurements done today after my Whole30 challenge finished yesterday. I will post results even if they are not stellar.

Already did my workout this morning at 5:30 am CroassFit "Annie" WOD (50,40,30,20,10 double unders & situps), 400 meter run to warm up, 50 box jumps cash out. Finish time 14:20 (record is 3:50, yikes!), looking forward to shaving some time off in the upcoming months.

Have a GREAT rest of the day Cool Kids!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Canada Day to the Canadian Cool Kids!

Was away Saturday, came back last night. Attended my future DIL's wedding shower. It was so nice.

Congratulations Beeps! You look amazing! Your hard work is certainly paying off! I am so impressed by the loss around your hips...I am built the same way and I can never seem to lose the inches around my hips. Hopefully the strength training will help.

I have an interesting family life story to share....

Seven years ago today, my nephew was tragically killed. He died shortly after midnight, the night of June 30th. Needless to say, our families were devastated.

Fast forward seven years....my niece, his older sister, gave birth to a healthy baby boy shortly after midnight this morning. He first child and my sister and brother-in-law's first grandchild. July 1st has now given us all a reason to smile again.

The actual due date was June 27th. This new baby boy has my nephew's name as his middle name, but he is sporting his uncle's nose. :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    HAPPY CANADA DAY!
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Congrats Beeps you look fantastic! Happy Canada Day to you that are there! lol

I am having a push myself day .... just ..... can't ........ get ......... moving....... ugh! Time to do school work with my boys then I will do my exercise and see if that perks me up!

Thanking mother nature for kicking my butt today... grrrr.

I hope you all have a strong day for me and send a little my way! lol I need it!

Hope your measurements are awesome Newbeg1ning!

Take care and have a great day! xoxo

Chelle
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I had a great weekend - but it's now back to "reality" - which really means the hum-drum of "routine".

Today, I lift!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! While I don't live in Canada, I was off yesterday too. It was mu hubby's birthday and we spend the day together. Weather was icky but we still had a good time. Needless to say, I did not go to the gym yesterday, but stayed within my calories. I also have hurt my foot. Nothing serious, but need to take it easy for a couple of days, so no gym today either. Making sure to keep calories in check again. Hope everyone has a great day.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi kellysue!

Got my lifting in-and-done. Not gonna lie, after the (weighted) glute bridges, the T-bends and the deadlifts, I BAILED on the single-leg back extensions. My rear end had had enough by then....
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi cool kids! Trying to get myself psyched up to get up early tomorrow morning to go try a new 7am class (some form of HIIT, not really sure) at my gym. Breakfast and lunch are packed and clothes are set out, so I guess the only thing left is to get myself some sleep! Then tomorrow evening it's an appointment with physical therapy--really hoping I haven't tweaked my back too much this time, and that they can give me some good advice on exercises to avoid.

Had the odd experience at the gym today of turning around after an exercise (trainer had me doing rows while balancing on one leg, I'm sure there's a real name for it) and finding a couple guys watching. Seriously? It's the office gym, dudes, if you don't want to work out, just sit on the benches and read your Blackberry and try to look important like everyone else does....
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Morning Cool Kids and what a beautiful morning it is!

OK so results from my Whole30/CrossFit nutrition challenge are in:

SW 195 lb CW 188.5 lb (6.5 lb loss)
    S Chest 36" C Chest 36.5" (.50" gain, yeah me, muscle definition on my back)
    S Navel Waist 41" C Navel Waist 37" (4" loss)
    S Hips 43" C Hips 42" (1" loss)
    S Natural Waist 36.5" C Natural Waist 35" (1.5" loss)
    S R Thigh 26" C R Thigh 26" (no change)
    S R Arm 13" C R Arm 12.75" (.25" loss)
    S Neck 15.5" C Neck 14.75" (.50" loss)

Total weight loss 6.5 lbs, total inches lost 7.25". BOOM!!!

Needless to say, I'm Super Happy!!! Have not taken any pics yet but will soon. It can be done cool kids, even for a 41 year old woman who's favorite sport 6 months ago was reading a good book (nothing wrong with that) and eat Doritos (yuk!) It pays off, it takes sacrifice and dedication but it works.

Wishing you all a happy 4th of July weekend (mine starts today), I'm going paddle boarding for the first time tomorrow :wink:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Newbeg~ great job! Have fun paddle boating. Haven't done that since I was a kid!

I am still having some trouble with my foot today. I did some low impact aerobics this morning to keep me moving. Not my best work out but better than nothing.

Hubby and I are going to the drive-in to see a couple of movies tonight. It looks like the weather should be good. Hanging out with friends for the fourth, I think. (We seem to always make plans on the fly! Sometimes they are the best ones!)

Have a great day all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    newbeg1ning - those results ARE AWESOME!!! Oh YEAH, "BOOM!"

Hmmmmmm, KellySue67 - good for you for giving a work-out a try, even with a sore foot. How FUN that you are going to a drive-in! They tore all the drive-ins down here, and in OLDcity, probably 20 years ago....too bad - I remember going as a teenager and LOVING 'EM!

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • CalamaD
    CalamaD Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am not new to MFP, but am new to the message boards. I would love to join your group as I fit right in with you all! I'm 44, 5''4" and 122 lbs. I look fine in my clothes and no one would ever know that I struggle with my weight. My body fat is somewhere around 27%. So, though I look thin, I have a considerable amount of fat. I'm sure you all are aware of the term "sofi" (skinny outside/fat inside) or "skinny fat". That's me. I have some health issues that I am working on with the proper doctors and such. I eat fairly well. Mostly whole foods, but I do enjoy daily treats and try not to worry about it. Currently I lift 2x/week, take a high impact cardio class 1x/week and run when I can (maybe 2-3x/week for 3-6 miles each). Eating 1200 cals plus exercise expenditure. I use a HRM, so I feel like I have a pretty good gauge on my numbers. My doctors consider me an athlete because I have done some races and triathlons, so they tend to not worry about my issue. I undersand, but m not happy with that. Anybody have a similar problem or any suggestions to get that bf% to start moving in a downward trend? Not looking to be fat free, just want to get down to 22% or so....

TIA for all help and suggestions and I look forward to helping you guys in return some day!
    Denise

Aslo- I have LOTS of heart disease (Dad had his FIRST heart attack at 53....), high cholesterol and obesity in my family.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi Calama - I'm sure you'll enjoy this thread! Welcome!
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    O.K. I don't feel as much like a "kid" as I would like to. I had been quite thin until after my fourth child. I never took some "me" time to lose the pregnancy weight. I was a little over 130. I dropped and gained some over the next 13 years or so. I got to my highest at 148 lbs. I am 5' 3.5" and 44. I feel like my hormones are starting to change and that has made losing pounds in the past couple of years difficult. I would like to have more lean muscle and with that be around 125-130 again.

Before kids, I was between 108-115. I don't think I want to be quite that thin now though.

Interesting facts: I lived in London with my family for 3 wonderful years. Yes, we liked it. I have a black belt in Taekwondo. I then switched to Zumba, which I love.

I did a 30DS recently and only lost 3.5 pounds, but 5 inches.

I am now currently doing Killer Buns and Thighs, No More Problem Zones (both on Amazon Library) and Zumba at least 3 x a week.

I also am very frustrated with eating back calories or TDEE - percentage. It does seem when my calories are more like around 1200 and I eat back only some of my calories, that I was losing more weight.

I think that I had quite a few years of fat and am now building a lot more muscle, so it may take a while to see weight loss even though I am losing inches.

How would I lift heavier? I am using 3-5 pound weights with my exercise videos and Zumba. My son lifts free weights, so he can explain if your lifting lingo is hard to understand for me. Should I concentrate on losing fat before lifting more? I don't want to bulk up.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lol @ "bulking up" - it doesn't happen accidentally, so don't worry about it - you WON'T/CAN'T bulk up!

here's my $0.02:

1. you need to be in a calorie-deficit in order to shed BODY FAT.
    2. you need to lift heavy to change your BODY SHAPE.

Don't confuse the two, because they are NOT the same thing!

You can (and should!) do BOTH of these things, at the same time, to get the best results. If you are new to heavy-lifting, check out these groups on mfp:

a) "New Rules of Lifting for Women"; and
    b) "Women Strength Training"

because they have ALL the answers to the questions you are asking!
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    lol @ "bulking up" - it doesn't happen accidentally, so don't worry about it - you WON'T/CAN'T bulk up!

here's my $0.02:

1. you need to be in a calorie-deficit in order to shed BODY FAT.
    2. you need to lift heavy to change your BODY SHAPE.

Don't confuse the two, because they are NOT the same thing!

You can (and should!) do BOTH of these things, at the same time, to get the best results. If you are new to heavy-lifting, check out these groups on mfp:

a) "New Rules of Lifting for Women"; and
    b) "Women Strength Training"

because they have ALL the answers to the questions you are asking!

Thanks so much! I will have to look those up. I hope to post in a few more months that I am finding things that work. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Happy 4th of July to all American 40+ "cool kids"!!