Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    In the absence of knowing if your rep range has changed then:

1) thinking about the muscles being worked slowed down the movement
    2) slowing down the movement increased time under tension
    3) increasing time under tension moved you more from myofibrillar hypertrophy to sacroplasmic hypertrophy
    4) moving to sacroplasmic hypertrophy triggered more noticeable physique changes (power / strength athlete .v. body builder)

You could of course just work with good form and sufficient load in the appropriate rep range for your desired goals without any of this mind - body business...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    In the absence of knowing if your rep range has changed then:

1) thinking about the muscles being worked slowed down the movement
    2) slowing down the movement increased time under tension
    3) increasing time under tension moved you more from myofibrillar hypertrophy to sacroplasmic hypertrophy
    4) moving to sacroplasmic hypertrophy triggered more noticeable physique changes (power / strength athlete .v. body builder)

You could of course just work with good form and sufficient load in the appropriate rep range for your desired goals without any of this mind - body business...

THIS is the first thing here I understand and that makes sense to me.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The OP is pretty wrong. You should not be trying to induce DOMS with your workout. There is absolutely no benefit to inducing DOMS. The only reason you should get DOMS is if you're new to lifting (this will go away in a week or two) or you significantly change your routine (DOMS will probably only happen once or twice). If you constantly get DOMS after months of lifting then your routine is garbage.

The tension on the muscle is what causes it to grow. That is why people who have crappy form still get results. Someone curling 25lb with strict form and someone curling 35lb with sloppy form can get exactly the same results if the time under tension is the same.

The real problem with sloppy form is that it leads to injuries. I'd advise people to ignore the OP's advice.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you are using good form then you are focusing on the correct muscles for any given exercise so I am not really understanding what you mean.

I'm a bit confused about this as well. I appreciate your post, and I think it's something I need to be mindful of too, but doesn't "good form" indicate that you're using the proper muscles for the lifts? How could you be doing something with good form but not using the right muscles? I'm a little confused about that.

I have an idea of what you mean though... there are a few lifts I do that I don't feel in the right places... for example, chest exercises I NEVER feel in my chest, but normally in my biceps/triceps. I've triple checked my form and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right, but it doesn't FEEL right. I have no idea where to go from here. Wish I could afford a personal trainer even for a couple of sessions. Maybe it would help me like it helped you!

Anyway, congrats on your success and thanks for sharing!

If you feel a chest exercise in your biceps then you're not doing it right tbh. I was initially surprised that the op was misunderstood by so many but I suppose most people have other interests outside of training (which is probably better for them anyways) and don't think about this sort of thing often.

Good form is generally a synonym for lifting safely (ie not ripping up your rotator cuff on the bench) and moving the most weight possible (in powerlifting). The best form on bench involving a tight core, leg drive, arm angle etc is not necessarily the best form to emphasize the chest for everyone. The real confusion arises because it is the right way to do it for some people.

A lot of people seem to think this is solely down to changing the pace of a lift but this doesn't have to be the case, changing from bb to db bench can be enough to create a response from the pectorals that would never have happened on the bb bench as an example.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's called the mind-muscle connection. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The OP is pretty wrong. You should not be trying to induce DOMS with your workout. There is absolutely no benefit to inducing DOMS. The only reason you should get DOMS is if you're new to lifting (this will go away in a week or two) or you significantly change your routine (DOMS will probably only happen once or twice). If you constantly get DOMS after months of lifting then your routine is garbage.

The tension on the muscle is what causes it to grow. That is why people who have crappy form still get results. Someone curling 25lb with strict form and someone curling 35lb with sloppy form can get exactly the same results if the time under tension is the same.

The real problem with sloppy form is that it leads to injuries. I'd advise people to ignore the OP's advice.

I would advise people to ignore what you just said.
    She isn't saying the goal of the workout is to obtain DOMS. She's just saying now that she is concentrating on the proper muscle group that she is using to lift that she is now achieving that.
  • jenniferrr127
    jenniferrr127 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post - such a good reminder!!!! Gotta really put that effort and vision into it :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It's called the mind-muscle connection. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

I don't concentrate on specific muscle and I have good progress and appropriate soreness the next day. I guess it's it is another method that helps some but is not needed by all.
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    nope. I have to say that i have not thought of this, but I will definitely make that change from here on out!! Thanks for the heads up! and congrats on your progress!
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI: being sore or not being sore is NOT a good indicator of intensity or progress.

^^^^^^^ agree^^^^^^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    in...for more understanding on telepathic lifting....:)

^^ This

OP: It's great that you are happier now with whatever "mental change" you made.

When I think of "not concentrating," I think of something like this:
    249705_o.gif

I still do not understand how you can be concentrating on an exercise, but not on your muscles, but my confusion need not rain on your parade. I'm glad you have a routine that seems to be working for you! :drinker:
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yeah you dont need DOMS to succeed, but concentrating on each rep, each muscle is important. You need the connection. Also if you are "relaxed" as you perform a movement you are more likely to employ other muscles more to help with the movement and form can waver. I'd also say to improve gains, slow down the negative.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    in...for more understanding on telepathic lifting....:)

^^ This

OP: It's great that you are happier now with whatever "mental change" you made.

249705_o.gif

I still do not understand how you can be concentrating on an exercise, but not on your muscles, but my confusion need not rain on your parade. I'm glad you have a routine that seems to be working for you! :drinker:

This is the most horrifying thing I've seen today, and this is after seeing some bro squats at the gym already this morning. Is this guy trying to scratch his knee or something? Wtf.
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this. I just started lifting so I'm finding it very helpful :)
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options

249705_o.gif

Can't. Stop. Watching.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So many "experts" on this site. I love that. There are many excellent points and opinions throughout the first 4 pages, to include the OP. I think we tend to over complicate things and let our black and white thinking get in the way of seeing other ways of doing things. With that being said, I think what the OP is saying is that the amount of weight you are lifting ALONE, did not give her the results she was looking for. Her goal was focused on her appearance, not on strength or power. She wanted a six pack and a certain muscular look. She realized that she was not going to meet these goals by simply loading up as much weight as possible for her, then doing an indicated amount of reps. Instead, she needed to focus less on lifting as much, or more weight as the week before, and instead keep her already good form, but drop the weight if needed, and focus on slowing down each rep, and thinking about squeezing and contracting all the way through the rep (contracting the lats, rather than using her shoulders and biceps to move the weight with a lat pulldown for example), or stretching to the full extent possible with the movement to get FULL benefit (really stretching to the ful range, slowly with constant tension, rather than obsessing about having to lift as heavy as possible. She would be able to stretch to a further point, which would stimulate more growth for THIS exercise, if she had a smaller amount of weight. Otherwise, she would stop short in order to move a higher amount of weight...which is just going through the motions on a dumbbell fly for example). I learned this same lesson after trianing for my first figure show. I went into my second season wanting to see a drastic VISUAL improvement in my shoulders, but was struggling to obtain that. I dropped the average weight I had been using for the past six months (also switched other things up to avoid "plateauing") by ten pounds, kept the rep range the same, but slowed down, keeping constant tension on the head of the delt I was working at that time. Bam...boulder shoulders. I hope this helps. Different goal...different approach. Different Person...different needs. No one is an expert. :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is what the OP is talking about

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/02/contraction-vs-moving-weight/

actually, it is just about exactly what she has said.

It depends on your goals at the end of the day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is this guy trying to scratch his knee or something? Wtf.

IKR?
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Bump! Just started lifting, could use this advice :)