GOT: Why do people hate Sansa?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Because they have way too much time on their hands. It's a book/show. Get a life.
    Ah, we have a true lover of fiction -- illustrating right here in our discussion about literature the lovely and useful plot device known as irony!
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Because they have way too much time on their hands. It's a book/show. Get a life.
    the night is dark and full of trolls
  • rml_16
    Options
    Sansa is basically to me a "nothing" character. She does nothing except be mousey. She doesn't seem to want to better her circumstances enough to start doing anything.... Look at Margery, she knows how to use her power and does so. Sansa has power, potential power as both a beautiful female and the "key to the North".. She needs to learn to use it and quit being bland and nothing. Arya is younger than Sansa and yet fights.. fights.... fights..... and Arya seems smarter also.. sansa comes across as dull-witted.
    I just watched the last two episodes of season 2 and officially lost all respect for Margery (I know that isn't the right spelling, but I don't feel like looking it up ATM). She and Loras both seemed to have some integrity with Renly, but it appears they just go with the wind and whatever will make their lives better. She deserves that psychopath.

Arya wouldn't be in a much better position if she hadn't been with Syrio when the knights came for her. Sansa was already locked in a tower and had no idea what was happening. Arya happened to get lucky.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I fricking LOVE GOT!!! :love: I'm up to date tv seasons wise so I'm staying stum! However, I think in the case of Sansa she's basically forced into the position most young girls/women would have been in that era. Sucks for her - but doesn't make her hate worthy. Even if you do end up shouting at the telly for her to get a back bone like her little sister & at least "stick someone with the pointy end!" :happy:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what GOT meant and thought you had typo'd Sensa. >.>
  • rml_16
    Options
    I had no idea what GOT meant and thought you had typo'd Sensa. >.>
    I know, I know! lol

I have a brace on my left hand and typing is difficult, so I was trying to use as few letters as possible. I figured the GOT fans would know what I meant!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I like Sansa, both in the show and the books. I think she' s done an amazing job of staying alive.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Because I would argue that Ned Stark's death is her fault. Yes, Ned does question Joffrey's birth but it is Sansa's request for mercy that pushes Joffrey to kill him because he's a little prick. I do kinda feel bad for her but she was never really one of my favorites to start with. I've always liked Arya better. I've only watched the HBO series so I don't know how it goes in the books. :P
    That isn't her fault. How could she possibly have known?
    She was naive and was dumb enough to tell Cersi about Ned' s plan on how he was returning them to Winterfell. If she wasn't blinded by her love for Joffrey she would have kept that to herself.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thought this was a thread about hating SANTA and I wanted to see what kind of heartless freaks would respond. Carry on...
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Because I would argue that Ned Stark's death is her fault. Yes, Ned does question Joffrey's birth but it is Sansa's request for mercy that pushes Joffrey to kill him because he's a little prick. I do kinda feel bad for her but she was never really one of my favorites to start with. I've always liked Arya better. I've only watched the HBO series so I don't know how it goes in the books. :P

Agreed. She believed Joffrey when he said he would grant Ned mercy if he took the black and went to the Wall.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    She's perfectly aware her sister and father aren't traitors. She is in a position where she has to say what the people in power around her want her to say because if she doesn't she'll die. She's not stupid. She's trapped. As for dreaming of a rich and powerful husband, isn't that what she was taught was her goal in life from the time she was born? She's a female child of a powerful family. It was her expected role and she embraced it.

Arya is one of my favorites, but that doesn't mean I don't realize she's done some really stupid thoughtless things. She's the opposite of Sensa as far as gender roles. She rejected what was expected of her up to the time everything fell apart. No knowing if she'd have gone through puberty and decided being a girl wasn't all bad. But under the circumstances, she's lucky she was the tomboy. It's saved her. Even through some of her boneheaded missteps (from which she's been saved by the men around her).
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    And, again, she's 11 years old.

So, someone PLEASE give me a reason to not like Sansa! She isn't my favorite character, but I don't dislike her and see no reason to. (Spoilers are OK. I spoil this kind of thing for myself all the time.)

Like you said, she's 11 years old. Sansa represents everything not likable about a girl in her early teens: she's silly, shallow, and self-centered. Personally, I don't dislike her; but I can't say I exactly LIKE her, either. But the simple fact is that Martin does a great job writing very realistic characters and most people don't have the patience to deal with a spoiled 11-year-old girl (and for anyone who thinks she's not spoiled, remember: She is LITERALLY a princess).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because she's a shallow, self-centered airhead? Oh well, she gets hers once married to Joffrey, who treats her like crap.
  • rml_16
    Options
    She was naive and was dumb enough to tell Cersi about Ned' s plan on how he was returning them to Winterfell. If she wasn't blinded by her love for Joffrey she would have kept that to herself.
    Cersei already knew what Ned was planning as far as revealing her secret. Ned told her himself. Sansa only revealed the plan to get her and Arya out of King's Landing. So, she's maybe responsible for her own captivity, but not her father's death.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Because she's a shallow, self-centered airhead? Oh well, she gets hers once married to Joffrey, who treats her like crap.
    She never marries Joffrey.

Snd she deserves to be severely beaten by hrown men? Really?
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't hate her. It just makes me feel sad that she doesn't have that Stark "fight" in her.

She's different from them,more fragile than the rest and in the books to me she comes across as naive. It bugged me as well that she didn't leave King's Landing when she has the chance.

I think she's just trying to survive.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you've read all the books, you might suspect that Sansa is being positioned to become a major player. Her character is developing in an interesting way.

Yes, I could see it ending with Sansa ruling everything.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I hated her at first, because I really really hate whiny spineless characters. That's how she came across to me in the book, despite her young age. Arya is even younger and kickin' major booty.

However, with the recent shift in the latest two books, I'm not quite so bothered by her. I'm firmly on Team Jon and Team Daenerys though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

No, no, we were asking why people hate Sansa.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Why bother posting on this thread? It's just a website. Get a life.