GOT: Why do people hate Sansa?

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I hated her at first, because I really really hate whiny spineless characters. That's how she came across to me in the book, despite her young age. Arya is even younger and kickin' major booty.

However, with the recent shift in the latest two books, I'm not quite so bothered by her. I'm firmly on Team Jon and Team Daenerys though.

I could be on Team Daenerys if she would actually do something sometime soon! Too much wandering around in the desert for me.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I hated her at first, because I really really hate whiny spineless characters. That's how she came across to me in the book, despite her young age. Arya is even younger and kickin' major booty.

However, with the recent shift in the latest two books, I'm not quite so bothered by her. I'm firmly on Team Jon and Team Daenerys though.

I could be on Team Daenerys if she would actually do something sometime soon! Too much wandering around in the desert for me.

SPOILER ALERT
    Ugh, don't EVEN get me started on that. I want to punch George R. R. Martin in the face after the last book.. 5 books in, and she has her army, her dragons, and had done ........................... oh ... nothing really...

GRR
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because she's a shallow, self-centered airhead? Oh well, she gets hers once married to Joffrey, who treats her like crap.

No, no, we were asking why people hate Sansa.

Wait... Sansa didn't marry Joffrey? I haven't read the books in years, may have remembered that wrong......
  • LoraF83
    Options

SPOILER ALERT
    Ugh, don't EVEN get me started on that. I want to punch George R. R. Martin in the face after the last book.. 5 books in, and she has her army, her dragons, and had done ........................... oh ... nothing really...

GRR

Exactly!

Team Jon all the way though. By far my favorite character.

The way I see it, Sansa represents an "innocent" perspective.....someone who still sees the world as good and the stuff of fairy tales. But everyone is ruining that for her. What happens then? How does that shape her? What exactly does the loss of innocence and childhood do to a person? I don't like her, but I respect where Martin is taking the character.

Jon, on the other hand.......well, who doesn't love an underdog, slightly bad-boy with a heart of gold?
  • DragonSquatter
    Options
    Because she's a shallow, self-centered airhead? Oh well, she gets hers once married to Joffrey, who treats her like crap.

No, no, we were asking why people hate Sansa.

Wait... Sansa didn't marry Joffrey? I haven't read the books in years, may have remembered that wrong......

Err nope. Didn't even get close to the altar really.

Wikipedia has a good synopsis of all the books if you want to do a quick catch up.
  • DragonSquatter
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

The way I see it, Sansa represents an "innocent" perspective.....someone who still sees the world as good and the stuff of fairy tales. But everyone is ruining that for her. What happens then? How does that shape her? What exactly does the loss of innocence and childhood do to a person? I don't like her, but I respect where Martin is taking the character.

Jon, on the other hand.......well, who doesn't love an underdog, slightly bad-boy with a heart of gold?

I understand why Sansa is necessary to the plot and overarching world story. I just find that type of character to be annoying at times. I was happy that she got out of marrying Joffrey though.

Jon is amazing. Totally great character.
  • LoraF83
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

I understand why Sansa is necessary to the plot and overarching world story. I just find that type of character to be annoying at times. I was happy that she got out of marrying Joffrey though.

Jon is amazing. Totally great character.

This is why I like you :flowerforyou:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

I was team Robb... the Red Wedding was shattering. I sat there, jaw dropped, and unable to understand what had just happened.
  • DragonSquatter
    Options
    I was team Robb... the Red Wedding was shattering. I sat there, jaw dropped, and unable to understand what had just happened.

I liked Robb, but I agree that he had to go. Having the son avenge the father storyline play out would've been predictable and a bit boring IMHO. I hated how gruesome his death was though. It was really shocking and upsetting to read.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I liked Robb, but I agree that he had to go. Having the son avenge the father storyline play out would've been predictable and a bit boring IMHO. I hated how gruesome his death was though. It was really shocking and upsetting to read.

Yes. Reading that was hard.
  • LoraF83
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

I was team Robb too. Till that. :sad:

!!!!!!SPOILERSS!!!!!!

I'm also a huge fan of Bran - can't wait to see what happens with him (even if he is stuck).
  • da_bears10089
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

!!!!!!SPOILERSS!!!!!!

I'm also a huge fan of Bran - can't wait to see what happens with him (even if he is stuck).

I may or may not have a girl crush on Daenerys
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do have to say it was a bit awkward seeing Nymphadora Tonks naked. :tongue:

Most jarring thing about the show so far!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

GRR

Exactly!

!!!!!!SPOILERSS!!!!!!

I may or may not have a girl crush on Daenerys

Too bad the show left out her girl-on-girl "experiment" :smokin:
  • da_bears10089
    Options

That's the problem when you read a book, and then watch the movie or series afterwards. So many things have to get cut so they can fit it all into the season.
  • rml_16
    Options

That's the problem when you read a book, and then watch the movie or series afterwards. So many things have to get cut so they can fit it all into the season.
    I'm finding the changes interesting. They seem to also have added things that weren't in the books. But some of the additions, when paired with some book events that aren't in the show seem to give some new clues about some characters' actions and motives that aren't clear from just the books or just the show.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Firmly planted onTeam Daenerys! Dany's my girl!
  • mrsjones2point0
    Options

I think I'm one of the few people who loved the Red Wedding. Nothing against Robb, I liked him alright, and I loved Lady Caitlyn, (that was a blow, losing Arya's mother when she was so close, for me)! But I thought it was a pretty awesome way to off the characters. I hate the Frays, but it kinda made me like Tywin in a very sinister, root for the evil guy, kinda way. It was a brilliant play by him. . .
  • rml_16
    Options

I think I'm one of the few people who loved the Red Wedding. Nothing against Robb, I liked him alright, and I loved Lady Caitlyn, (that was a blow, losing Arya's mother when she was so close, for me)! But I thought it was a pretty awesome way to off the characters. I hate the Frays, but it kinda made me like Tywin in a very sinister, root for the evil guy, kinda way. It was a brilliant play by him. . .
    Catelyn annoys me.

I'm assuming you haven't read the books. I haven't gotten that far in them, but I read the Wikis a lot and I'll just say you haven't seen the end of Catelyn. This story seems to get more and more bizarre and complex as it goes on.
  • mrsjones2point0
    Options

Catelyn annoys me.

I'm assuming you haven't read the books. I haven't gotten that far in them, but I read the Wikis a lot and I'll just say you haven't seen the end of Catelyn. This story seems to get more and more bizarre and complex as it goes on.

I'm on book four, but only a third of the way in. . .kinda pissed nobody has died yet! Victarion just got to the Kingsmoot