My mistake with "Heavy Lifting"...

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    When I lift, I am focused on form, breathing, and keeping my core tight. Focusing on my form IS focusing on my muscles.

Me, too. I always find it funny when people who do exercises like Pilates act as if people who strength train do it mindlessly. It's hardly grunt grunt and drop the weight.

OP here. Read my post and the other posts throught the thread.

My *form* was the same. What I was doing was focusing on doing the rep and moving the weight with said form. What I wasn't focusing on was intentionally contracting and using each muscle to its fullest.

Cheers! :)

I did read it your first post. I and others didn't understand what you meant. We tried to be helpful and respond to your question. No, I didn't have that problem.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    When I lift, I am focused on form, breathing, and keeping my core tight. Focusing on my form IS focusing on my muscles.

Me, too. I always find it funny when people who do exercises like Pilates act as if people who strength train do it mindlessly. It's hardly grunt grunt and drop the weight.

My *form* was the same. What I was doing was focusing on doing the rep and moving the weight with said form. What I wasn't focusing on was intentionally contracting and using each muscle to its fullest.

I did read it your first post. I and others didn't understand what you meant. We tried to be helpful and respond to your question. No, I didn't have that problem.

I was referring to my post on page 4. If you got nothing out of it, then it's whatever. To be clear I never said anything about "mind-muscle" connection, telepathic lifting and so on.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you figured it out, but the importance of thinking about what you're doing, keep tension at certain points of the movement, flexing, stretching, etc., is included in the instructions for exercises, as well as whether you should be moving slowing or pushing up or out with great speed (usually without locking your joints).

Yes, this is extremely helpful.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options

When I do oblique twists on cable crossover machine, I'm paying attention to NOT swivel my hips. I don't even notice my obliques until DOMS, if at all.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm still pretty new to heavy listing and I'm sure this'll be helpful advice!
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "THINK ABOUT THE MUSCLES YOU ARE TRAINING" -Jillian Michaels. I think Jillian knows a thing or two. Sounds like you're doing the right thing : )

i stopped reading at jillian as she is full of hogwash ..with all due respect...
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I'm glad you figured it out, but the importance of thinking about what you're doing, that is, keeping tension at certain points of the movement, flexing, stretching, etc., is included in the instructions for exercises, as well as whether you should be moving slowly or pushing up or out with great speed (usually without locking your joints).

Yes, this is extremely helpful.

I fixed the typos.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

I was referring to my post on page 4. If you got nothing out of it, then it's whatever. To be clear I never said anything about "mind-muscle" connection, telepathic lifting and so on.

I didn't use those terms either. With a six-page topic, I don't have time to read every page. I responded to your original post.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm still pretty new to heavy listing and I'm sure this'll be helpful advice!

It's basically the difference between concious intention at one extreme and doing something in a half asleep way at the other. Since we can exert voluntary control, it's up to us to use it or lose it when it comes controlling how our muscles react.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    You guys spent a lot of pages arguing about quality of contraction... OF COURSE that's important! It is part of good form though IMO.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    "THINK ABOUT THE MUSCLES YOU ARE TRAINING" -Jillian Michaels. I think Jillian knows a thing or two. Sounds like you're doing the right thing : )

i stopped reading at jillian as she is full of hogwash ..with all due respect...
    The only hogwash I can think of that comes from Jillian is that she seems to think ascorbic acid is magic and she thinks sugar is the devil. Neither of these are really all that bad. So her clients will eat a few more oranges and they won't ever get to eat desert.

Other than that she seems to be pretty squared away. She does advocate a calorie deficit for weight loss. She is a huge advocate for exercise and diet rather than just one or the other. Honestly she is one of the better sources when it comes to stuff like that. I think that P90X guy is better. (His name escapes me at the moment.)

If you are looking for some top quality bull**** you have to look no further than Dr. Oz.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    It's all about the squeeze. Feel the muscle, concentrate on it, when you are lifting. Makes all of the difference.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

The only hogwash I can think of that comes from Jillian is that she seems to think ascorbic acid is magic and she thinks sugar is the devil. Neither of these are really all that bad. So her clients will eat a few more oranges and they won't ever get to eat desert.

Other than that she seems to be pretty squared away. She does advocate a calorie deficit for weight loss. She is a huge advocate for exercise and diet rather than just one or the other. Honestly she is one of the better sources when it comes to stuff like that. I think that P90X guy is better. (His name escapes me at the moment.)

If you are looking for some top quality bull**** you have to look no further than Dr. Oz.

Dr. Oz is at the top of the BS pile, agree...

Eh - IDK she has helped some people but that biggest loser stuff just pisses me off for some reason ...
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying!

Thanks for posting! Great thing to keep in mind for when I start lifting (just need to actually start now!)

PS. I agree with the Dr Oz hating! Dr Phil too!!!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've read the book, but The New Rules of Lifting for Women actually touches on this.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bumpity! Thanks I think I might be doing the same thing :-)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz is at the top of the BS pile, agree...

Eh - IDK she has helped some people but that biggest loser stuff just pisses me off for some reason ...
    I never really followed biggest loser. I saw her give some interviews and I have seen her 30DS videos. She gives some pretty decent advise. My only criticism would be that you can get that same advise for free with a bit of personal research.