NO MCDONALDS

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Btw, if this was a game I won a long time ago. I've never had to lose 65 lbs plus in my life. Maybe that's cause I don't eat McDonalds. :-/

What a rude thing to say.

Maybe, but it was a response to the rude comments he made to me earlier.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Btw, if this was a game I won a long time ago. I've never had to lose 65 lbs plus in my life. Maybe that's cause I don't eat McDonalds. :-/

Yeah... I've never had to lose 65lbs either. I worked at McDonald's for 6 years eating probably 5 meals a week there and still eat it once every two week.

Thanks for being a ****.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Rude, obnoxious, presumptuous, factually incorrect, and nonsensical.

But smart enough to have a doctorate and not offer nutrition advice to people at a weight loss website advocating McDonalds. Buddy, repeat what you wrote to me and look in the mirror. And enough with your fast food advocating.

I cannot help but be irritated by someone 'offering up' really bad, unsolicited advice in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the op. it's simply not cool.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

But smart enough to have a doctorate and not offer nutrition advice to people at a weight loss website advocating McDonalds. Buddy, repeat what you wrote to me and look in the mirror. And enough with your fast food advocating.

I cannot help but be irritated by someone 'offering up' really bad, unsolicited advice in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the op. it's simply not cool.

Oh boy, you have a doctorate. You must be smarter than I am.

What's your advice for the poster who has a history of yoyo dieting whenever she tries to completely cut out fast food, anyway?
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That is so great! One step at at a time adds up. :)
  • Jmeisalive
    Jmeisalive Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in a McDonalds right this very moment. Stealing wifi and drinking a big refreshing unsweet tea.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

If someone has spent years yoyo dieting, only to end up "failing" by ending up back at McDs... do you really think the answer for them is more self-discipline and denial?

Of course not. It's to allow yourself to responsibly eat the food you love.

BTW, I didn't get fat eating a lot of fast food. I got fat eating my grandmother's home cooking in New Orleans and pigging out at the school cafeteria. I eat much more fast food and ice cream now that I'm 10% body fat than I ever did when I was 30%.
    Amen again! I never got fat at McDonalds either, but I refuse to deny myself any if I want some. Before MFP I thought dieting meant tuna, lettuce, brown rice, a handful vitamins and if you cheated it was game over. So, of course, I failed (and now I hate tuna). Now I know that losing weight will inevitably lead to having to maintain weight, which means you have to find a sustainable program! If you think you can eat "clean" forever, that's great. I would never be able to! I learned on here that I can incorporate all the foods I love into my life and still be healthy and have successful weight loss.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a juris doctorate and yo yo diet.....
  • kkerri
    Options
    I actually do think there is truth to the inability to sustain 100% clean eating forever.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I actually do think there is truth to the inability to sustain 100% clean eating forever.

Some people certainly can, but that's because those are the foods they like. Not everyone like double cheeseburgers from McD's or whatever, so it's easy not to eat them.

But lots of people really do like them. Really really like them. Obviously the path to sustainable health is not to simply never eat one again. It's to occasionally fit them into your nutrition goals.

You're much better off long-term maintaining a healthy weight and body composition, not to mention the benefits of a positive body image and healthy outlook on life and food, eating McDs a few times a week than you are yoyo dieting, torturing yourself through self-denial, and feeling guilty about your inevitable visits to the drive-through.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

In today's society I would argue it's damn near impossible, at least without being a social pariah. I don't want to be the only one who can't have a slice of birthday cake at a party, or no booze or whatever. I may not want it but god damn it if I'm going to feel like crap because I ATE something. I do eat very 'clean' in my home, but I also eat very dirty some days. The primal/paleo people don't want me because I eat too much crap, the IIFYM people don't want me cause I only eat 100-120g carbs, but in the end only *I* have to be okay with the way *i* eat. Not feeling like I just ruined the day by eating a roasted marshmallow or a piece of candy goes a long way in terms of making lasting changes.
  • kkerri
    Options
    I should note that I have never had a double cheeseburger and do like to eat clean for the most part. I much prefer a bottle of wine, triscuits and hummus to any fast food. My derailing often involves hors devours and wine. Rarely drive throughs. But, it's really all the same concept.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I should note that I have never had a double cheeseburger and do like to eat clean for the most part. I much prefer a bottle of wine, triscuits and hummus to any fast food. My derailing often involves hors devours and wine. Rarely drive throughs. But, it's really all the same concept.

Yes, substitute "double cheeseburger" for whatever it is that you personally like to eat but have been convinced is "bad" or "unclean" or "unhealthy" or whatever.

That's the whole key. Food freedom. You can eat pretty much anything in the world that makes you happy - just do so responsibly and in the context of a healthy diet. There's nothing that's inherently bad or evil.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well I did it this morning!!!! didn't stop at McDonalds!!! I am so excited. One goal I need to accomplish.

Well done, the first steps are always the hardest... Stopping McDs was the hardest thing for me to do - I have... correction... had.... no self control (for me not to eat something, it couldnt be in near proximity to me)... which is not helpful when my boyfriend as a Floor Manager at... yup, you guessed it... McDonalds.

His employee card was a godsend AND a nightmare all rolled into one.

But, since using MFP I have found so many different ways to eat the calories I require.. and now only eat at McDs every now and then as a treat.

Well done on your first steps... it wont be long before you dont think about stepping in for breakfast :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Your doctorate is obviously not in nutrition. There is nothing "bad" about fast food. Now, if I am wrong, and your doctorate is in fact in nutrition, I am all ears to hear of the peer reviewed research to substantiate your claim that fast food is in fact bad.
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats to the OP!!
  • rjwriter78
    rjwriter78 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You body is very much thanking you on a high level right now. You have no idea what kind of damage you do to your body in the long run. There is no nutrient helping factor in any of their food ... including the salads. Slowly complete this feat everyday and you will be able to cut out fast foods totally. If McDonalds food has a longer life then veggies and fruits, something is definitely wrong. Great job!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    In today's society I would argue it's damn near impossible, at least without being a social pariah. I don't want to be the only one who can't have a slice of birthday cake at a party, or no booze or whatever. I may not want it but god damn it if I'm going to feel like crap because I ATE something. I do eat very 'clean' in my home, but I also eat very dirty some days. The primal/paleo people don't want me because I eat too much crap, the IIFYM people don't want me cause I only eat 100-120g carbs, but in the end only *I* have to be okay with the way *i* eat. Not feeling like I just ruined the day by eating a roasted marshmallow or a piece of candy goes a long way in terms of making lasting changes.

That just sounds human. I think we can all find our own way. I don't believe in one size fits all. If it's working for you, it's working. If you are healthy, then that's all that matters. Keep on keepin' on...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

That just sounds human. I think we can all find our own way. I don't believe in one size fits all. If it's working for you, it's working. If you are healthy, then that's all that matters. Keep on keepin' on...

We're going to be good friends ;)
  • nessyrae1
    nessyrae1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am so proud of you!!! I KNOW how hard this is to do!