Substitutes for rice

Options

Replies

• MsDaraElaina
    MsDaraElaina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Use should try black rice which is highly recommended bc of the antioxidants,vitamins, and fiber so it's like a superfood rice lol - I have totally replaced my white rice (which I LOVE) with it and I've been able to switch over with no intentions of eating white rice... Of course it does have carbs but you just have to keep it in moderation and pack on a little protein and a lot of veggies... http://vegetarianspotlight.com/2012/benefits-of-black-rice/ - that should give you the info you need about it... I discovered it just strolling down the lanes at costco and thought it looked interesting after I read the package I knew I stumbled on to something great - good luck ; )

I didn't know "black rice" was a kind of rice. I saw your avatar, then read "try black rice" and immediately thought it was some kind of ethnic dish or something. Then I realized black rice was, like, a thing. It did make me laugh though.

lol that is kinda funny and I thought about it after I posted and immediately thought of the saying once you go black you never go back!!! LMAO
    But it is really a superfood and it is very good for you... People just don't know about it...Since I've been eating it I've seen it on some cooking shows and in a few recipes but before I started eating it, I had never heard of it which is WEIRD!!! it's actually pretty good... The kicker is it's not really black, it's actually like a blueberry purple once you cook it.... It comes in a huge bag... I have used it at least 8 times since I got it and it's still full - I think it's great ; )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.
    For those of us who can't do that, it is very helpful to find alternatives.
    And a bit tiresome to hear all the naysayers whenever the subject comes up.

the OP never mentioned an insulin issue or being diabetic....

so you are saying that a non diabetic that eats in a deficit and eat carbs you will gain weight????
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I usually try a smaller bowl of rice to replace the larger bowl of rice. Don't give it up. Just eat less of it.

If everyone had moderation down, we wouldn't need this site.
    For me personally, rice is one of the few foods that I have trouble eating in moderation. Chocolate, I have down, rice- not so much.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I usually try a smaller bowl of rice to replace the larger bowl of rice. Don't give it up. Just eat less of it.

For me personally, rice is one of the few foods that I have trouble eating in moderation. Chocolate, I have down, rice- not so much.

I use this site to gain weight as much as I use it to lose weight. If you can't eat in moderation then it's not an issue with insulin sensitivity.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Rice sucks anyways, eat fries
  • Joehenny
    Options
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.
    For those of us who can't do that, it is very helpful to find alternatives.
    And a bit tiresome to hear all the naysayers whenever the subject comes up.

Are you insulin resistant or diabetic?

Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

uh... buy a food scale and portion your meals?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Here, this is good post on basic importance of moderation. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tried cauliflower rice tonight. I follows a recipe by Elanas kitchen adding celery and onion to the "rice". It was delish and faster to make than real rice. I loved it so now I'm looking for more recipes with cauliflower. Why substitute it for rice? Well for one thing it is so much lower in calories. What's not to love.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The trick to eating rice and not gaining weight is to measure the rice carefully and eat a portion-controlled amount. Of course, that's true of any food. I love cauliflower, too, and I like quinoa, but there's no reason to avoid rice entirely.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Huh? This site actually takes the difficulty out of moderation...

...or at least it does for me...

...but I will acknowledge, I could be doing it wrong.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    We simply cut rice from our diet without a bulky substitue. We'll have a big bowl of curry and eat it with spoons and a naan bread, or a bowl of chilli a dip piece of a baked corn wrap (similar result to corn chips) into it. For oriental dishes, there are loads of yummy dishes that are carb low and dont require rice, or we stick to the more stew like ones. I know this isnt for everyone but it suits us and I have always loved the ideal or a big bowl of stew or chilli. Its really comforting!

If you are on a low carb diet and for dishes were you really can't sub out the rice (paellas or biryanis for example) you can always take the flavours and other ingredients and deconstruct them into a new dish? Chicken breast cooked with seafood and chirizo, or biryani spiced vegatables?
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

is there any particular need to not eat rice?

Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro
    Polenta (gluten free, higher in protein)
    there are tons of organic pasta now that are fortified with fiber, or whole wheat pastas

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but it is processed, spikes your insulin levels, and is full of empty calories. it contains no fiber so you have to eat more of it to feel full and it does not keep you feeling full over a long period of time.

There are so many better option including wild rices which are not processed and have tons of nutrients and fiber. There is really no need for white rice and almost all restaurants now let you substitute brown rice or have better options. Its not about deleting carbs from the diet, its about making better decisions.
  • Joehenny
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro
    there are tons of organic pasta now that are fortified with fiber, or whole wheat pastas

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but it is processed, spikes your insulin levels, and is full of empty calories. it contains no fiber so you have to eat more of it to feel full and it does not keep you feeling full over a long period of time.

There are so many better option including wild rices which are not processed and have tons of nutrients and fiber. There is really no need for white rice and almost all restaurants now let you substitute brown rice or have better options. Its not about deleting carbs from the diet, its about making better decisions.

T S T R
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower but as a substitute for rice I would say Quinoa. LOVE quinoa. Was also too lazy to read all the ranting that seems to be going on....so if this has all been said, my bad ;)
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Has to be rice for me ,no substituting ...!/2 cup cooked just does it !!:smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro

All white rice is "processed garbage"? And you believe brown rice is automatically superior to white rice?

I just...

...I, uh...

I mean...

I can't...

Wha?
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Riced cauliflower; and my new favorite: quinoa!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro

All white rice is "processed garbage"? And you believe brown rice is automatically superior to white rice?

I just...

...I, uh...

I mean...

I can't...

Wha?

Asians have been doing it wrong. Who knew!
    [/sarcasm]
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

I just...

...I, uh...

I mean...

I can't...

Wha?

Not really I don't like brown rice, I prefer Wild Rice, the nutrition of most brown rice is just as comparable to white rice, some just might be slightly better but most are just as processed as white rice. You"ll see it wasn't in my list of suggestions I was just simply stating that most restaurants have substitutions. If you have a little here and there fine ( I love my sushi) but there are better option and I'm not in denial that its healthy. If you ate nothing but 3 Mcdonalds burgers everyday and were below your calorie deficit sure you could still lose weight but it doesn't mean it is healthy or good for your body. I don't know what this whole "calorie deficit is all that matters" fad is thats going on in these boards, but that is just common sense. I think its also important what you put into your body, not just your calorie deficit.