Is my marriage normal?

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    reading this makes my heart very sad. i truly hope you find a way to be happy.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to say, but my husband has a physical job, and even when he's on nights he makes time for us. We have a really really close relationship though, and I know a lot of people aren't as close as we are (our brains are connected or something, haha). But, he does make time for us, and plays with us and helps out where he can.

... I could understand a marriage with less attention than my husband gives us, but almost none? Nope. Not okay.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I know so many such marriages. Hence, I am afraid to get married.

too bad we arnt neighbors. we could sit on the front porch and watch everyone around us be unhappily married

In for ridiculing marriages from the front porch with beer and chips.
  • randyfugate
    randyfugate Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The drinking is a curious and unfortunate thing. Self medicating for some deeper ugliness perhaps? Weve all been in those dark places in our lives and each have to choose how to respond and endure. Drinking is as you are aware not the way to cope and neither is pills or overeating. Find a babysitter and loose the alcohol for an entire weekend and have the conversation you know must be had. Either he's going to be all in with you and the kids or he not. If not, kick him to the curb! Find someone who will be your mate, your best friend, your lover and a father to the little ones. You guys need professional counseling, prayer and an unshakable commitment to each other. Hiding in a bottle is not the place to be and ill bet when faced with the prospect of loosing his family, for real, he will choose differently. He changes or he doesn't, either way you win and so does the kiddos.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel bad for all of us. I have tried talking to him, he thinks I'm just being a nag.

that's what he wants you to think so you'll leave him alone and let him continue to do as he pleases

This.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    He just sounds really really super tired. :frown:

I agree with this.

For years growing up this was my parents' marriage. My dad worked really long hours and he would be asleep in his recliner as soon as he got home. Eventually he changed careers and their marriage is much happier, but they did get counseling for awhile.

If you're unhappy you have to find a way to change that. Maybe it means counseling for both of you, or maybe just for you. Maybe it means you go out and make some friends (I'm a Navy wife and deployments would be awful if I didn't have a close group of friends) or take up a new hobby.

I think whether it's normal is kind of irrelevant. You want things to change, and that's the relevant bit.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh! There was a period my husband went through when he was a little like this. We were under some strain, and it turned out he was actually depressed.

One of the biggest helps was me doing things that interested him more, so he could have his time with us and to have some time to enjoy himself in his own hobby and really talking to him in a way a counselor taught me:

Think through what you would like to get out of the conversation and how important it is to you. Put yourself in his shoes to try to get a better understanding of his feelings. Realize neither of you has the upper hand, it's a partnership.

Then use "I" statements. "I feel _____ when we don't spend quality time together. I would love it if we could _______. I think it would be helpful in this way. What do you think?"

And be open/encourage discussion and negotiation.

Once we learned how to communicate better (my hubby picked up on the template and uses it on me now, lol) thats when we really started to get close.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and don't know if this type of thread is allowed, but I have no friends and no one to talk to besides on here and I would like some input somewhere! I've been really focusing on my health and would like to work on me mentally also.

I'm married with kids, stay at home mom. I feel totally alone. My husband works hard at his job, I try to make him happy always. But he has no time for me and the kids. He sleeps as soon as gets home, and when he wakes up he is on his phone or the computer and I go to bed by myself. We don't talk too much and while we do the deed its not as much as either would like. I used to care about him not helping out at all with the kids but now I just want some attention! period. He sleeps weekends too, mostly cause he drinks then. I know he can't be too tired, cause if he wants to work on his truck or do something with friends, he does. He goes to the gym with me also. Are most husbands who work a physical job like this? I ask him and he just says I should try what he does all day and then see how I feel. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Hi ashandloggies, I was a stay at home mom of 5 for 17 years. There were years when we didn't seem to have much time for the two of us, but it was important to us to make that time, even if it meant grabbing half an hour to sit down for a chat after the kids were in bed before we went to bed ourselves, or renting a movie to catch on the VCR. (Yeah, we've been married a while...will be 25 years this November!) It sounds to me like you both really need to make an effort at communicating. I would never say your marriage should end, and those who are saying so kind of scare me because they would all too quickly leave a marriage that is still viable. One gets married for better or for worse, and while abuse should never be condoned and is a good reason to end a marriage, feeling lonely is just one of those bumps in the road that is your marriage.

It's time to get back on the road with your husband and talk this through. It might mean seeing a marriage counselor, but if you are both committed to each other, you CAN make it through this slump. It isn't easy staying home and watching the kids. It also isn't easy feeling the pressure of being the sole breadwinner for the family, and especially so in this current day of many layoffs and job losses. He probably doesn't realize how lonely and forgotten you feel, and you may not realize that he feels stress over his situation and spending time with his buddies is one way he can find to relax. Certainly there is a happy medium here that you both can find through communication and exploration of your feelings together. I wish you both the best of luck!

Also, it might help if you can find a way to get out of the house without the kids once in a while together as well as separately. Not having friends in your area is not a healthy way to live. Friends are the extra spice of life, and having them can make life even happier. You can find ways to connect with other moms at your local parks, story time at the library, volunteering at your children's school, if they are old enough to attend yet, or even through your church, if you attend one. It really helped me when I joined a mom's group at my church. We were all mothers with young children and met once a week to talk about pre-chosen topics, and we had childcare during our weekly sessions. At that time in my life, it was a huge lifesaver for me. I made a lifelong friend through that group, too.

Again, I wish you the best of luck. Your marriage sounds like it is definitely able to be saved. It will just take a little effort. Hang in there!
  • NormInv
    Options
    My serious answer: I think the guy is now starting to look at wife and kids as responsibility and not 'down time'. He consider his truck and his beer as 'down time'. The OP has to change the dynamic so she is 'down time'. This is not to suggest that it should all be fun and games, but do not become a responsibility explicitly.

I think if she gets a job, and is outside and has her own circle of friends, and is less dependent on him, he might take more interest. May not be feasible with very young kids but could be down the road.

He should still be spending time with the kids so if he is not then he is not being a good dad.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Get marriage counseling, maybe it's not too late. I'm not gonna defend what he does, but certain jobs are so demanding both physically and mentally that one just wants to sleep or destress (with purely fun mindless stuff) in one's free time. He needs to know that his obligation doesn't stop with providing money, if he can't also be a good father and husband then perhaps it's time for a different (less demanding) job. It might pay less, which could mean that you need to get a job and pick up the slack financially.
  • danivee33
    danivee33 Posts: 33
    Options
    He might have a medical problem as to why he's so tired. Ask him to schedule a physical. Most guys neglect it.

My ex-fiance was like this, granted we didn't have any kids, but he hadn't had a physical for 6 years when I finally got him to get one.

Other reasons caused our breakup so don't think he found a medical problem and that's why I left him because that's not true. Anyway, I think your husband should go for a check-up before you try to figure out how to fix this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel bad for all of us. I have tried talking to him, he thinks I'm just being a nag.

Maybe he doesn't know what to do? I know I was really tired for a long time before I figured out what it was. Men sometimes don't like not knowing how to fix something and who knows it might be hard hearing it at that point. But really until then you need support and should get some friends who get marriage and won't ridicule you. Find wives on here, there are all kinds. Look through the groups or just keep an eye out for one's that are like you.

Everyone's marriages are different but none of them are perfect but lot's of them are worth keeping and working on when times are rough. You'll figure things out in the meantime you sound pretty astute and also responsible so just stick to that until the answers seem obvious.
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options

too bad we arnt neighbors. we could sit on the front porch and watch everyone around us be unhappily married

I have an awesome front porch to sit on!! Come on over!

On a more serious note, this is a typical marriage, but that doesn't make it a happy one. If he doesn't want to talk about anything with you, doesn't want to try and doesn't see that his behavior bothers you, then the problem isn't you. Partnership requires both to give equal effort. If I were you, I would seek a counselor, and if he refuses to join you, the answer is clear.

I'm sorry that the kids are losing out on important bonding time with their dad. Not to tell you what to do in your life, it's ultimately up to you. I went through this myself about 2 years ago, and I had to leave the kids' father. He ended up having to be more of a dad to them, since he was on his own for part of the time. It has, for better or worse, forced him to be a part of their lives.

I have had a tough two years learning how to be a single mom, how to survive without a partner, but it's satisfying that the decisions are my own now. I don't walk on eggshells for anyone, I don't cater to someone who doesn't take the effort to reciprocate, and I am more confident now. I wish you the strength and the courage to either work through this and make the marriage work, or make the decision to end it. If you want to friend me, I will gladly accept.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Anybody suggest that this is his obligation is wrong because we dont like obligations, chores ,errands. She should be the recreation.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

i'll be drinking Green Juice, but please pass the chips.
  • NormInv
    Options

I have an awesome front porch to sit on!! Come on over!

In x2
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as normal firstly. Secondly it's not a reason to break up, marriage is about working things out so ignore anyone who says otherwise. Try everything you can first. Talk to him about it more and if it doesn't work suggest seeking help. The other thing is to find a life outside the relationship, he may just be exhausted for real but you can get on with your life and your friends/hobbies without him.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as normal firstly. Secondly it's not a reason to break up, marriage is about working things out so ignore anyone who says otherwise. Try everything you can first. Talk to him about it more and if it doesn't work suggest seeking help. The other thing is to find a life outside the relationship, he may just be exhausted for real but you can get on with your life and your friends/hobbies without him.

This is a fact ! After our 34 years of marriage to include many years in the US Army, we have had all sorts of issues arise that we have worked through over the years.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    Maybe not what you want to hear but I did have a marriage like this. I left him. My child is important. My happiness is important and I left. I am much happier. Everyone is different maybe he is unaware of this and you need to bring it up to him. Also make time for you. get a pedicure or something to get YOU out and have a life. :)
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and don't know if this type of thread is allowed, but I have no friends and no one to talk to besides on here and I would like some input somewhere! I've been really focusing on my health and would like to work on me mentally also.

I'm married with kids, stay at home mom. I feel totally alone. My husband works hard at his job, I try to make him happy always. But he has no time for me and the kids. He sleeps as soon as gets home, and when he wakes up he is on his phone or the computer and I go to bed by myself. We don't talk too much and while we do the deed its not as much as either would like. I used to care about him not helping out at all with the kids but now I just want some attention! period. He sleeps weekends too, mostly cause he drinks then. I know he can't be too tired, cause if he wants to work on his truck or do something with friends, he does. He goes to the gym with me also. Are most husbands who work a physical job like this? I ask him and he just says I should try what he does all day and then see how I feel. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Hi ashandloggies, I was a stay at home mom of 5 for 17 years. There were years when we didn't seem to have much time for the two of us, but it was important to us to make that time, even if it meant grabbing half an hour to sit down for a chat after the kids were in bed before we went to bed ourselves, or renting a movie to catch on the VCR. (Yeah, we've been married a while...will be 25 years this November!) It sounds to me like you both really need to make an effort at communicating. I would never say your marriage should end, and those who are saying so kind of scare me because they would all too quickly leave a marriage that is still viable. One gets married for better or for worse, and while abuse should never be condoned and is a good reason to end a marriage, feeling lonely is just one of those bumps in the road that is your marriage.

It's time to get back on the road with your husband and talk this through. It might mean seeing a marriage counselor, but if you are both committed to each other, you CAN make it through this slump. It isn't easy staying home and watching the kids. It also isn't easy feeling the pressure of being the sole breadwinner for the family, and especially so in this current day of many layoffs and job losses. He probably doesn't realize how lonely and forgotten you feel, and you may not realize that he feels stress over his situation and spending time with his buddies is one way he can find to relax. Certainly there is a happy medium here that you both can find through communication and exploration of your feelings together. I wish you both the best of luck!

Also, it might help if you can find a way to get out of the house without the kids once in a while together as well as separately. Not having friends in your area is not a healthy way to live. Friends are the extra spice of life, and having them can make life even happier. You can find ways to connect with other moms at your local parks, story time at the library, volunteering at your children's school, if they are old enough to attend yet, or even through your church, if you attend one. It really helped me when I joined a mom's group at my church. We were all mothers with young children and met once a week to talk about pre-chosen topics, and we had childcare during our weekly sessions. At that time in my life, it was a huge lifesaver for me. I made a lifelong friend through that group, too.

Again, I wish you the best of luck. Your marriage sounds like it is definitely able to be saved. It will just take a little effort. Hang in there!

This is very good. Lots of wisdom here. OP, you need friends and a life too. Yes, husband needs to be plugged in you and the kids, but don't rely on him 100% for your happiness. I hope you two can work together & get back on track. My husband & I have had our ups & downs in our 30 yrs together, and there have been times where we weren't as close as we should've been. But we fixed it and I hope you two can too. Good luck to you.