oatmeal...good or bad ?

Options

Replies

• viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of oatmeal too! I eat it almost everyday either for the breakfast or dinner if I'm too lazy to cook something more proper. :D Sometimes I add apple chunks or raisins/sultanas, or both. But mostly I eat it with honey. :)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Haven't had oatmeal in ages since they don't have it where I live, but I love it.

Eating more than you burn is responsible for gaining weight, not oatmeal.
  • IForlife
    IForlife Posts: 5
    Options
    Oatmeal is the best. I eat it every night.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Assuming oatmeal = porridge I love it and have it most days as a really filling breakfast. I make my own with Oatley as I have to limit my dairy intake for health reasons. If oatmeal isn't porridge, please enlighten me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat grain, steel-cut oats are one of the better options (eating wheat has a lot of problems attached to it). Steel-cut oats are higher in protein. I slow-cook them for at least an hour (the longer you cook them, the more you break down the plant lectins) and then I top them with a generous dollop of organic butter and three soft-boiled eggs (or I sometimes use poached eggs). The butter and the runny yolks from the soft boiled eggs combine with the oats to produce taste magic. Keeps me going for hours. I have this for breakfast on all my heaviest exercise days.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Bad!! Oatmeal has carbs and carbs make you fat! You know what else makes you fat? Fat! So don't eat fat. Or fruit. Fruit has sugar and sugar makes you fat. So don't eat fruit or oatmeal or peanut butter or vegetables. That's the only way you'll get skinny.

You-Best-Be-Joking.jpg

Bwahaha!
    Carbs are dangerous.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs_YvMimxe_fiEWYas4Xma6JXxwlILX-PW78QsbTeN6krDLBplwg
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I always read that steel cut oats were preferable to even the 'old-fashioned' variety that takes 5 minutes or so (as opposed to the microwave sweetened flavored kind which really isn't worth your time). However, in the supermarket I compared the label to 'old-fashioned-cooks-in-5-minutes to the steel-cut variety and the nutrients & calories were EXACTLY the same: the only difference was price $1.75 for the 'old-fashioned' variety compared to over $6 for the steel cut. Seriously?

Why waste money on steel-cut if the only difference is that it is almost 4 times the price of the old-fashioned? Maybe there is a brand of steel-cut out there that is a superfood but.....eh....[insert Gallic shrug]
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with oatmeal, but I won't eat it personally.
  • cenzo152000
    cenzo152000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Steel cut - I add some granola, coconut and cranberries as a treat. stuff is awesome, healthy and no packaged Apple Cinn stuff. Remember sugar is n/g. That's why MFP and the diary is a big help - it helps you track your categories and find the foods that are good for you and sustainable. Steel cut...highly recommend.
  • penelope76
    penelope76 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is very good for you...its what is added to it that can hurt us. I add it dry to my shakes and it fills me up and it helps lower cholesterol.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bumping for oatmeal ideas.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day ...today I tried "refrigerator oatmeal" wasn't a fan, but maybe because I used plain greek yogurt?

Not a fan of "refrigerator oatmeal" either. I don't like the texture.

I usually eat only old fashion oats. I use 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup soy milk. Then I add fruit, pb2....ect, ect.

Have fun with your oats!
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    To some, oatmeal can cause inflammation. If, after eating it, you feel bloated, or the scale goes up, then you might be one of the ones who can't eat it. Listen to your body - everyone is different.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal! I add dried fruits and nuts, some ground flax, fresh fruit, and a scoop chocolate or vanilla protein powder. About to have some now, as a matter o' fact.
  • raeless2011
    raeless2011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal a couple of times per week. I use Whole Oats, either Quaker or Bulk from Health Food Store. 1/2 cup with 1 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of berries (fresh or frozen) and 15 grams of walnuts. Microwave about 2.5 to three minutes, depending on how soupy you want it. It is very good. I feel better when I eat it, rather eating regular box cereal.
  • barry_b12
    barry_b12 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at the title of this thread that urged me to make my first post here. I'd never heard that oatmeal might be 'bad' and though weight loss isn't my goal here, since I eat 3/4cup every other day, I was curious to see what others were saying. I'm happy to see all are intelligent and informative posts.

My semi-daily breakfast consists of 3/4 cup of oatmeal with a matching portion of soy milk, sprinkled with 1/8tsp cinnamon, 2tsp flaxseed meal and fruit - usually 1/4 cup of raisins. This is most always the single largest meal of the day and am struggling to consume enough calories to maintain my weight on my most active days. I think this is a testament to the comments I've seen in this thread about no single food being responsible for weight gain.

I suppose there is something that will work for everybody if they keep searching long enough but for me it has been being vegan, avoiding processed foods as much as possible and staying active. Rather than counting calories, I am using myfitness pal to ensure I'm getting the most nutrition from the calories that I am eating and the result is that I am at my ideal weight, am probably the healthiest I've been for 40 years ( I love the look of disappointment on my doctor's face when he can't find anything wrong at my mandatory, annual health screenings ) and eat plenty of oatmeal.
  • raeless2011
    raeless2011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What kinds of protein powder are people using in the oatmeal. This is new to me.
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always read that steel cut oats were preferable to even the 'old-fashioned' variety that takes 5 minutes or so (as opposed to the microwave sweetened flavored kind which really isn't worth your time). However, in the supermarket I compared the label to 'old-fashioned-cooks-in-5-minutes to the steel-cut variety and the nutrients & calories were EXACTLY the same: the only difference was price $1.75 for the 'old-fashioned' variety compared to over $6 for the steel cut. Seriously?

Why waste money on steel-cut if the only difference is that it is almost 4 times the price of the old-fashioned? Maybe there is a brand of steel-cut out there that is a superfood but.....eh....[insert Gallic shrug]

It can make a difference for diabetics. The steel cut oats take longer to break down into sugar since it is in a less processed form than rolled or instant oats which is obviously a good thing if you are insulin resistant.

For non-diabetics, there is no advantage other than texture, depending on your tastes there.