Cauliflower "Alfredo" Sauce - LIFE CHANGING.

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    absolutely hate cauliflower, but gonna give this a try - - thanks!

Wait....what?

confused-o.gif
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Got to try. Copied and saved. Thanks!
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Classico Alfredo pasta sauce has the same calorie count for a half-cup serving, and it's a lot lower maintenance. I'm not sure if it's the light version or not, but it tastes delicious.
  • lighterbytheday21
    lighterbytheday21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    that sound fantastic I am sooo going to give that a whirl thank you for sharing :)
  • artlush
    artlush Posts: 1
    Options
    Delicious! I love all the things you can do with cauliflower. Also, if you don't like these recipes, don't read them. Silly people.
  • PowerEqualsStrengthOverTime
    Options
    I will most definitely be trying this!
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just made this. I was super skeptical, as this was my first "cauliflower as a substitute" recipe. And I gotta say, kudos to the OP. Simply amazing. Will be using this all the time!!!
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Skyetropics
    Skyetropics Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can add this to my "try" list!
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe. ... and wow! Who would have thought that posting a simple recipe could turn out so acrimonious:/

There seems to be such a lot of that on these forums:/
    When was the last time you had a big plate of rich, creamy pasta alfredo for under 400 calories? Never? Well then gather round, children!

I love pasta. And all other carbs. And anything made with cream and butter and flour! I was so happy to discover a way to enjoy the taste of these things without the 1,200 calorie bill. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer! I served the sauce over whole wheat penne with broccoli. I would have added chicken but I was feeling pretty lazy. Now, if you are REALLY trying to make your calories stretch as much as possible, you can omit the olive oil and parmesan cheese, but I wanted it to taste more like true alfredo sauce and less like pureed cauliflower... so I bit the bullet, and trust me: it really does make all the difference!

*THIS RECIPE WAS PICKY HUSBAND APPROVED!*

1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
    3/4 c broth (I used chicken)
    1/4-1/2 c milk (depending on how thick and creamy you prefer)
    1 T EVOO
    1/4 c Parmesan cheese
    1 clove minced garlic (sauteed) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder (or chopped onion)
    Parsley flakes to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes until tender (I boiled it in broth for maximum flavor absorption :)), then transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. Add broth and blend until very smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached. Add olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. Serve hot.

Makes about 3 cups, the perfect amount for one box of pasta. Sauce freezes and thaws well. When reheating leftovers, add a few drops of milk and stir to make it creamy again... it tends to get a little dry over night.

This sauce is also a wonder base for casseroles and makes a wonderful addition to many other recipes! I think cauliflower is my new best friend.

When I made the sauce, it came out to 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Much better than alfredo sauce which has 500 calories per 1/2 cup serving!

Enjoy!
  • m1nd_body_spirit
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but what is EVOO?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sorry, should have been more clear!

LOL... thanks!
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just made this for dinner. Served it over tofu shirataki noodles, poached chicken and spinach. I had to tweak the sauce to suit my tastes, for me it was pretty bland. I doubled the parmesan and garlic. I just couldn't get the cheesy taste I was looking for without doubling the cheese. As I was using shirataki noodles I could absorb the calories it added. I also did it all one pot with an immersion blender. All in all, not bad.
  • Kelsathebay
    Options
    bump
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Beasterface
    Beasterface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump Bump!!!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong lover of creamy pasta (a tragically one-sided romance as it surely does not love me back :cry:) I must bump this to try out later. Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for posting :wink: