STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    FYI If You Are American.....

In 1929, the avg American household spent more than 23 percent of disposable income on food. Since 2000 the percentage of disposable income on food has been under 10 percent every year.

I spend about 17% of my after-tax income on groceries. I think the 10% might be skewed because of people with high incomes. The higher your income, the lower the percentage of it will be spent on food. I am at the lower end of the income scale, so it's a higher percentage, but the total is much less than many people with money to blow on "luxury" food items. (pre-packed stuff)
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know we all have different taste buds but some of the stuff that ya'll are saying you prepare/cook to be healthy and save money doesn't sound like it taste very good.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    This is a non-issue for me. Food is something I'm willing to spend money on. I'll make sacrifices in other areas if I have to, but I've invested too much time and money in my education and my career to say that I can't afford to eat what I want. I'll get rid of cable, Internet, phone, trips, etc., before I cut back on groceries. I do try not to be wasteful with the food I buy because wasting food is just dumb, but that's about as financially concerned as I'm going to get on the subject.

This
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    For those who say healthy food is too expensive; is it more expensive then the doctor? Because you will spend more time being sick and at the doctor (and missing work/kids missing school) if you eat unhealthy then if you pay up front for healthy and eat better.

But ultimately it is your decision to make. We choose healthy up front and skip on doctors.

That's a moot point when you HAVE NO MONEY.
    If I'm broke, guess what? There's no "decision" to be made. I get to feed my family for a week on $50. If I get sick, guess what? It doesn't matter how expensive the doctor is because we aren't going unless its to the ER.

Exactly. Don't you think if everyone had a choice they would prefer healthier stuff? Not everyone has a choice. And there are assistance programs that don't provide fresh food, ie WIC. That pretty much provides milk, eggs, cheese, and peanut butter. Where are the vegetables and fruit there?
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You're right, if you do it a smart way and are willing, and able, to cook all your meals from scratch. I can and we spend a total of e30 each week on groceries. For two adults. That included my boyfriends chocolates too. I buy what's on offer, and cook accordingly. Some weeks it's e20, some it's e35. And I make all my dogs treats out of that too, but not his food. It can be done, and we find "junk" much more expensive than one of my meals
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    in...to learn how 30.00 feeds two people for a week....

I live by myself and spend about 150.00 a week....

^^ HOLY CRAP!!

I *wish* I had that kind of money to spend on food. That would be $600 per week for four of us. That's almost my whole effin' check! We spend about $80-$100 on food for one week, four people. It sucks eating ground beef and chicken all the time, and sometimes we run out of milk the last couple of days before payday.

I still say that for people claiming that eating healthy is expensive, it's their attitude about "healthy" vs. "unhealthy" food that's often the problem. Some people would whine that my diet isn't healthy. Meh. Oh well. :ohwell:

We do our grocery budget by food group. I spend X amount on meat, dairy, veggies/fruits, grains/cereals, and then a bit on "staple items." I rarely buy anything pre-packaged because you are typically paying extra for someone else to process your food for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    it isn't an excuse. as a newlywed, just starting off, and still in college, i find myself trying to cut back where ever i can. and there really aren't many things i can do. i use coupons to save my family enough money to survive on, and i can't find coupons for produce anywhere. when my store gives them out i use them but they are very rare, so i'm stuck to prepackaged crap... i don't have a fortune to spend on healthy food. and when you live on a 75 dollar a month food budget, you need to cut costs where ever possible, and i would rather spend my calories, than my rent money. however, i don't complain when i am over my calorie budget, i just try harder burn them off.

In my area, the only coupons that exist are for high dollar, pre-packaged items that I still can't afford with the coupon. :laugh:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could spend $30 a week on just me, went to the grocery store the other day and bought: spinach, apples, asparagus, broccoli, cottage cheese, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, and egg whites and spent $30. I already had chicken and fish and I'm moving so the food was limited. Generally I spend around $50 a week and around $150ish at Sams club once a month (generally buy my chicken, fish, and some other items from here in bulk since they're cheaper). Do I complain though? No. I spend money on my gym membership and food, and I'm ok with that, I stopped going tanning and getting my nails done so I could do this, I also don't eat out and pack my lunch everyday for work. It works for me, but my roommate can feed herself and her boyfriend for a week for $30 of pre-packaged processed foods. so yes, eating healthy is more expensive and yes, a lot has to do with the area I live in, but thats fine, and I'm ok with spending more money on my health and fitness than on other things.
  • caitlinm924
    caitlinm924 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

While I agree that sometimes unhealthy and healthy food can be relatively priced, I think you're overlooking a number of factors. For example, depending on the area of the country/world you live in, healthy food may be equally priced. I know in my state, you pay at least 1.5x more for anything healthy/organic, and most bad foods are $1-$3. Plus, there are plenty of people that have health conditions or lifestyle choices that result in the inability to live off of $30/week, or they can't even afford $30/week, so their options are more limited.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. When we started MFP a month ago, I did find I was spending more on groceries; however, we weren't eating out anymore! There is something so satisfying about going to the check out with a cart heaping with veggies, fruits and lean proteins. I always make sure to have a low fat ice cream in there, but that isn't more expensive than the full fat version. It isn't more expensive to eat healthy. In fact, I am going to a fruit stand to get local fruit today. I'm kind of excited.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh but it is.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Healthy food I'd much cheaper, if nothing but not eating out.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Bottom line is: Where there's a will there's a way ... if you really want something you will make it work.

By the way, this applies to all aspects of life.

post-17965-Supernatural-Dean-Thank-You-gi-y9so.gif

*Applause*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't know about you but eating more veggies and fruits is breaking the bank. It costs around 160-200 bucks for us. Produce is super expensive where I am at.

A pack of frozen veggies here is roughly $1/pound, so we do smaller meat portions and load up on veggies. Fruits, meh, it's pretty much just bananas at our house unless something is on sale. $1/pound is my limit on produce.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Eating healthy with adequate protein is expensive.

^^ This is the first *FAIR* statement about being poor. Protein is the *only* thing that we have to carefully budget. I try to get 100 grams per day, and it's by far the most expensive macro to consume.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on if you were eating some healthy foods to start with and also if you are eating less calories to lose weight now or just eating better.

If you are eating less calories to lose weight then yeah your bill would probably go down when a pound of meat becomes 4 servings instead of 2 so you can buy less meat and you basically just drop the junk totally from your shopping list (especially if you were buying alot of junk including sodas) and you would add more produce to the mix.

If you didn't eat very many healthy foods to start then yeah replacing all the cheap junk food with fresh foods would totally send your grocery bill through the roof especially if you were eating the same amount of calories and just replacing the junk with healthier choices.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but eating more veggies and fruits is breaking the bank. It costs around 160-200 bucks for us. Produce is super expensive where I am at.

A pack of frozen veggies here is roughly $1/pound, so we do smaller meat portions and load up on veggies. Fruits, meh, it's pretty much just bananas at our house unless something is on sale. $1/pound is my limit on produce.

A dollar a pound for frozen veggies is a sale price here -- I usually stock up on veggies if I can find them then, but if I weren't living alone my freezer size wouldn't be adequate and I'd have to pay the regular price (usually quite a bit more).
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.

Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

The discussion here is not about people having kids and not being able to afford them--that is another issue, and to make a blanket statement like that is pretty ignorant.
    I have 4 kids, and buying them healthy food IS more expensive. They like a lot of pasta, which I can cheaply flavor with homemade pesto w/ basil from our garden, although I still have to buy garlic, parmiggiano and olive oil. Garlic isn't too bad, but fresh parmiggiano is very expensive (so I buy the crappy parmesan--it's hard to justify 7-10$ for cheese per week) and evoo is very expensive. A $14 bottle lasts us about 3 weeks. Eating healthy is not just about buying vegetables--there are many ingredients that go along with it. Making tomato sauce is another matter. I can buy canned, and I try to buy a decent kind that has a nice flavor, not just whatever is on sale. Or I can grow my own tomatoes, which I do, but do you know how many you need to make just a little bit of sauce? And that it takes months for tomatoes to even grow and ripen, which leads me to believe that OP has never even had a garden herself. You might save a couple of bucks, but there is a lot that goes into "just grow a garden". We try to make sauce to freeze, but it doesn't last long. And I don't want to just feed them pasta/rice and vegetables, I want them to have meat/chicken/fish, and that is pricey. Many have pointed out that hamburger can be cheap, and I use that too in some meals. But you can't eat that every single day (well you can, but I don't know how healthy it would be to have it every day). Variety is expensive.
    Again, I have 4 kids, and don't worry--I am able to support them/feed them, if that is your issue. But the issue here is whether or not eating healthier is more expensive, and it definitely is.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    You have to take into consideration that other people aren't just buying for themselves and a spouse. Some people have families and that can make the total skyrocket, especially if all you can afford is super cheap-ramen budget groceries.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

And if you live in rural Algeria, you can get organic chickens that are so fresh they still have feathers on and a ton of very fresh, organic, locally produced veg for way less than what you paid for the above. WAY less.

of course, it all depends where you live. Because, you know, local economies. Food costs different amounts of money in different places, even within the same country. Never mind if you're comparing between countries. Food in the UK is *way* more expensive than it is in rural Algeria. So if someone from rural Algeria told people in the UK that they were making excuses and not trying hard enough to find cheap, organic foods, because they can get all their weekly groceries from their local market for (add really low price here), you'd say they weren't being fair because Algeria is not like the UK.... well the same applies with you. Just because you can get all that for 30 dollars where you live, doesn't mean everyone can.

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

Again, it depends where you live. In some places junk food is cheaper than healthy food. In other places, healthy food is cheaper than junk food. In my experience, low quality food is pretty much always cheaper than good quality food, and so the very poor end up eating low quality food, and not out of choice.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden,

I don't have one. or a big enough freezer to store more than a week's worth of frozen anything.

BTW I eat healthy, and I earn enough money that this is not an issue. I'm just saying all the above to point out that it really is not that simple, and also that just because you can get all that for 30 dollars or whatever, doesn't mean everyone can, because local economies are different and if you are poor there are lots of barriers to doing the things that you suggested, like if you don't have a garden you can't grow very much fruit and veg. Maybe you can grow herbs on the window sill, that's about it. If you don't have a large freezer, you can't store very much frozen food to take advantages of bargain prices, and you may not ever have enough money at one time to buy stuff in bulk to begin with. If you don't have a car, you can't shop around to find the cheapest place to buy stuff, you have to stick to places that you can walk to, which greatly limits you choices and often forces you to pay more for things than you would if you had a car and the freedom to shop around, and means that you can't buy some things at all.

Where I live, there are two supermarkets that are within walking distance for about 8 months of the year, and only my corner shop within walking distance in the height of summer (I live in Bahrain, with Arabian Gulf temperatures and 100% humidity) - the prices in those supermarkets are not the cheapest, and the range of stuff they sell is not that good, compared to if I were to drive into town to the big supermarkets in the malls. If I can only get to my local corner shop, their range is tiny, and the prices are inflated, because they're a very small business. I'd survive, but their range of meat, fruit and veg is tiny. As it happens, I have a car, so I can drive to the big supermarkets in the malls and get a much better range of produce for better prices. So yes, I'd say that for people who are very poor where I live, it IS more expensive and more difficult. And I'm sure that around the world you'll find places where it's cheaper to eat healthy, and places where it's cheaper to eat poor quality food.