Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You need to do some homework before you spout nonsense not everyone wants chemicals dont gripe at others for eating how they want and do your own thing get off your high horse.

Spouting nonsense? Pot meet kettle, unless you can provide a list of all these chemical free foods people are eating

flip over the package and read. Any of that sound like food?

The package of what, exactly?

anything you want to put into your body its at least good to know whats going in

Well you asked if anything on it sounds like food, so it would be helpful if you had a particular item in mind.

However, you don't, so let's take a Pop-Tart:

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CRACKER MEAL, WHEAT STARCH, SALT, DRIED STRAWBERRIES, DRIED PEARS, DRIED APPLES, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.

Flour sounds like a food. The other stuff in the flour, like niacin and riboflavin, are all vitamins and minerals. Corn syrup, dextrose, sugar, and HFCS are carbohydrates, and therefore foods. Soybean and palm oil are oil made of fatty acids and therefore also food.

Those ingredients - flour, sugars, and oils - make up the vast majority of the Pop-tart.

The other stuff are mostly things to make those ingredients taste and look better as well as be consistent and not spoil quickly. Cracker meal, starch, salt, dried fruit concentrates, baking soda, citric acid, corn cereal, gelatin, caramel color, etc. A few colors and preservatives, along with some more vitamins and minerals, and you have a Pop-tart.

and that's the things I don't want in my body if you do that fine eat away I just don't want to
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You need to do some homework before you spout nonsense not everyone wants chemicals dont gripe at others for eating how they want and do your own thing get off your high horse.

Spouting nonsense? Pot meet kettle, unless you can provide a list of all these chemical free foods people are eating

anything you want to put into your body its at least good to know whats going in

Well you asked if anything on it sounds like food, so it would be helpful if you had a particular item in mind.

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CRACKER MEAL, WHEAT STARCH, SALT, DRIED STRAWBERRIES, DRIED PEARS, DRIED APPLES, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.

Flour sounds like a food. The other stuff in the flour, like niacin and riboflavin, are all vitamins and minerals. Corn syrup, dextrose, sugar, and HFCS are carbohydrates, and therefore foods. Soybean and palm oil are oil made of fatty acids and therefore also food.

Those ingredients - flour, sugars, and oils - make up the vast majority of the Pop-tart.

The other stuff are mostly things to make those ingredients taste and look better as well as be consistent and not spoil quickly. Cracker meal, starch, salt, dried fruit concentrates, baking soda, citric acid, corn cereal, gelatin, caramel color, etc. A few colors and preservatives, along with some more vitamins and minerals, and you have a Pop-tart.

and that's the things I don't want in my body if you do that fine eat away I just don't want to

What things? Flour, sugar, and oil?
  • meeper123
    Options

What things? Flour, sugar, and oil?

pretty much all of these MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Way to avoid the question, would you eat something with these ingredients?

"Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. "

lol you mean an apple last I checked they don't screw with those too often also that's not on the back of an apple now is it

**I buy non gmo and organic apples

Still awaits your list of chemical free foods
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Its my firm believe that being healthy is way more important than a scale. I also eat the way I do for ethical reasons but I am not going there because I also don't believe and pushing my spiritual believes on people. But health needs to drive you more than vanity

am I saying eat like an angel all the time uh no but try to be at least a little better
    If you mean seeing how much you weigh; well, yes, that's a rather poor indicator of health.

Here's an article with links to studies which suggests it doesn't matter if you eat simple or complex carbs if you're otherwise healthy (but suggests it does matter if you're not.)
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

Love to hear anyone that has conflicting evidence.
    (No, really... I was the same, but have failed to find any evidence that suggests I was correct in my previous views.)

I'll just leave this here to horrify most of the 'clean eating' people :D.
    (I had three yesterday!)

water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.
  • jonnythan
    Options

FYI:

Coconut M&Ms:

Chocolate Milk (Sugar, Chocolate, Milk Skim, Cocoa Butter, Lactose, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Flavor(s) Artificial) , Sugar, Corn Starch, Contains less than 11% of Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring Includes (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2) , Flavor(s) Artificial, Gum Arabic

Dark Chocolate Zone Perfect Bar:

Soy Protein Nuggets (Isolated Soy Protein, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Tapioca Starch, Salt), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder [Processed with Alkali], Soy Lecithin, Nonfat Milk Powder, Vanilla), Corn Syrup, Roasted Almonds, Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose Syrup, Chocolate Powder (Natural Cocoa Powder, Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Chocolate Cookie Pieces (Bleached Wheat Flour, Sugar, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Sunflower Oil, Salt, Baking Soda), Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Fructose (Fructose, Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Natural Cocoa, Salt, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Tocopherol, Ascorbic Acid), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), High Oleic Safflower and/or High Oleic Sunflower Oil. Less than 2% of the Following: Glycerine, Natural Flavors, Caramel Color, Salt, and Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid [Vit. C], d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate [Vit. E], Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide [Vit. B3], Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate [Vit. B5], Ferrous Fumarate [Iron], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vit. B6], Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin [Vit. B2], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vit. B1], Folic Acid [Vit. B9], Chromium Chloride, Biotin [Vit. B7], Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin [Vit. B12]).

Bisquick has partially hydrogenated oil.

Domino's crust:

Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid], Corn Meal (used in preparation).

Froot Loops:

Sugar, corn flour blend (whole grain yellow corn flour, degerminated yellow corn flour), wheat flour, whole grain oat flour, oat fiber, soluble corn fiber, contains 2% or less of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, soybean and/or cottonseed), salt, red 40, natural flavor, blue 2, turmeric color, yellow 6, annatto color, blue 1, BHT for freshness., Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid), niacinamide, reduced iron, zinc oxide, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, vitamin D, vitamin B12.

So which ingredient in Pop-Tarts, that don't appear in any of the above foods you've eaten in the past week, are things you don't want in your body?
  • StaticNomad
    Options

Posted by geebusuk:

StaticNomad:
    On one side you say you struggle to eat enough calories.
    On the other you say you struggle to burn enough calories.
    Every study I've seen in to the area has shown that the less you eat, the more weight you lose.
    Your weight loss may slow down, but despite all the 'starvation mode' claims, every time it's tested, eating under the calories you burn (even if that's a bit reduced) leads to weight loss.

I do certainly agree that some people have specific allergies and requirements and should thus avoid things that cause trouble.

You read correctly, I struggle with both sides. And studies are made through generalized results based on a group of people. I was not in that group of people. Therefore, I don't fit into the mold that study so neatly popped out for the world to gobble up as gospel.

Eat less doesn't always mean eating fewer calories. You can eat one meal that is 2,500 calories very easily and then fast for the rest of the day. Or you can eat six small meals that total out to 300 calories each, which is 1,800 calories and still doesn't meet the daily recommended amount I am currently set to. Eating six small meals, for me, feels as though all I do is eat. When before, I could eat meal, which clearly was not enough calories to even touch what I was supposed to be eating, and I ignored food for the rest of the day. Thus, the outcome is the body thinks there is a shortage of food and shifts into survival mode by storing the fat that you might otherwise have burned off.

This, that I explained above, has been one contributing factor to my weight gain. Note, I said MY weight gain... meaning, this is my result, for me as an individual. So, if I don't move enough to burn the calories I am supposed to be taking in - I pack on the weight because I won't burn the fat off. If I don't eat enough calories, my body thinks I'm starving and it stores the fat.

So the only solution for me is to eat frequently, making sure I absolutely meet the calories I need and balance it to equal the amount of activity I am capable of. This is what I am doing.

My point was though that obesity has multiple causes, and it's not always from over-eating. Under-eating can be equally an issue, and my other point was that dirty food does exist in some people's lives. It might not be dirty for one person, where as another can eat it and suffer some very bad results.

As you already agreed - We're not all the same - which is why studies often bother me because almost always, studies do not encompass every possible outcome. They generalize. So I've learned to ignore studies and go with how my body handles things. Did you know that 91% of the world is not allergic to penicillin? Well... let's just say that I am not in that 91%. So if a study tells me that people who are sick with an infection and who take penicillin can cure themselves... and I take it, full well knowing I am allergic to it, and then I die - the obvious would mean I am an idiot for following the advice of a generalized study meant for 91% of the world who isn't allergic. So like you said... some people have specific requirements and situations that require or will result in different outcomes, even if they are 1 in 10,000 who didn't get the good effects.
  • meeper123
    Options

Way to avoid the question, would you eat something with these ingredients?

"Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. "

lol you mean an apple last I checked they don't screw with those too often also that's not on the back of an apple now is it

**I buy non gmo and organic apples

Still awaits your list of chemical free foods

your confusing chemicals with compounds there is actually a diffrence
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything red because any time I eat red foods my weight loss stalls.

Damn radishes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    pretty much all of these MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.

You don't want citric acid? Better never eat an orange or lemon or lime. No corn starch or wheat starch?

You never want to consume vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, or folic acid? Good luck with that, because you'll die if you don't.

I mean, I guess "pyridoxine hydrochloride" sounds pretty scary, even if it is vitamin B6. Never want to eat any of that! Good lord! Thankfully you never do.... except in the Froot Loops and Zone Perfect bar of course.
  • meeper123
    Options

FYI:

Coconut M&Ms:

Chocolate Milk (Sugar, Chocolate, Milk Skim, Cocoa Butter, Lactose, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Flavor(s) Artificial) , Sugar, Corn Starch, Contains less than 11% of Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring Includes (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2) , Flavor(s) Artificial, Gum Arabic

Soy Protein Nuggets (Isolated Soy Protein, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Tapioca Starch, Salt), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder [Processed with Alkali], Soy Lecithin, Nonfat Milk Powder, Vanilla), Corn Syrup, Roasted Almonds, Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose Syrup, Chocolate Powder (Natural Cocoa Powder, Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Chocolate Cookie Pieces (Bleached Wheat Flour, Sugar, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Sunflower Oil, Salt, Baking Soda), Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Fructose (Fructose, Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Cocoa [Processed with Alkali], Natural Cocoa, Salt, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Tocopherol, Ascorbic Acid), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), High Oleic Safflower and/or High Oleic Sunflower Oil. Less than 2% of the Following: Glycerine, Natural Flavors, Caramel Color, Salt, and Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid [Vit. C], d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate [Vit. E], Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide [Vit. B3], Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate [Vit. B5], Ferrous Fumarate [Iron], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vit. B6], Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin [Vit. B2], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vit. B1], Folic Acid [Vit. B9], Chromium Chloride, Biotin [Vit. B7], Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin [Vit. B12]).

Domino's crust:

Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid], Corn Meal (used in preparation).

Froot Loops:

Sugar, corn flour blend (whole grain yellow corn flour, degerminated yellow corn flour), wheat flour, whole grain oat flour, oat fiber, soluble corn fiber, contains 2% or less of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, soybean and/or cottonseed), salt, red 40, natural flavor, blue 2, turmeric color, yellow 6, annatto color, blue 1, BHT for freshness., Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid), niacinamide, reduced iron, zinc oxide, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, vitamin D, vitamin B12.

So which ingredient in Pop-Tarts, that don't appear in any of the above foods you've eaten in the past week, are things you don't want in your body?

these items are not part of my normal diet I have been living a month in a hotel I have to eat what I can when I can I don't like these food but I am trying my best with what I have available
  • jonnythan
    Options
    your confusing chemicals with compounds there is actually a diffrence

FYI, a compound is a type of chemical whose atoms are made of more than one element.

Iron is a chemical, but because it is made of a single element it is not a compound. Salt is a compound, since it is made of sodium and chlorine atoms.

Everything is a chemical. Literally every object that exists in the entire universe is a chemical.
  • jonnythan
    Options

FYI:

Coconut M&Ms:

Domino's crust:

Froot Loops:

these items are not part of my normal diet I have been living a month in a hotel I have to eat what I can when I can I don't like these food but I am trying my best with what I have available

Oh I see. When you get back to your normal life you won't be eating pesky things like citric acid, vitamin A, or folic acid.
  • meeper123
    Options

FYI:

Coconut M&Ms:

Domino's crust:

Froot Loops:

Oh I see. When you get back to your normal life you won't be eating pesky things like citric acid, vitamin A, or folic acid.

I am done talking to you hun all you do is twist and twist anything anyone says until you get what you want as an answer I wish you the best
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am done talking to you hun all you do is twist and twist anything anyone says until you get what you want as an answer I wish you the best

Well I did ask you which ingredients are bad that you try to avoid, and you told me vitamin B2, B6, and B12, as well as folic acid, vitamin A, and citric acid.

That didn't require much twisting.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

All he does is hand out knowledge, one person at a time
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this thread will make it to a part 2?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Remember, knowledge is the enemy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Well I did ask you which ingredients are bad that you try to avoid, and you told me vitamin B2, B6, and B12, as well as folic acid, vitamin A, and citric acid.

That didn't require much twisting.

A clean eater would avoid all those ingredients except for perhaps the dried fruits. Including the added vitamins. It is the "added" part that would be avoided.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this thread will make it to a part 2?

Before a Mod shuts it down? Highly doubtful