Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't think any person's definition of "clean" will be the same, you do your thing and I'll do mine. I eat what people would consider both clean and dirty foods. No rhyme or reason to it, I just don't stress over a prefect freaking diet/way of life. I think there's something to be said about not beating yourself up mentally for having a big fat slice of cake or a Big Mac the odd time. I don't need YET ANOTHER reason to look in the mirror and tell myself I'm a pice of crap than-you-very-much.

I might just start saying I eat clean. See what people make of it.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There are different routes to the same destination.

The best post out of every single post on mfp !:flowerforyou:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think any person's definition of "clean" will be the same, you do your thing and I'll do mine. I eat what people would consider both clean and dirty foods. No rhyme or reason to it, I just don't stress over a prefect freaking diet/way of life. I think there's something to be said about not beating yourself up mentally for having a big fat slice of cake or a Big Mac the odd time. I don't need YET ANOTHER reason to look in the mirror and tell myself I'm a pice of crap than-you-very-much.

Your diary looks pretty clean to me *shrugs* lol
  • jonnythan
    Options

Your diary looks pretty clean to me *shrugs* lol

McWraps and Pop-Tart ice cream sandwiches are clean, right? Sure. No one can tell me they aren't.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    @OP: The benefits of a diet that minimizes processed foods may or may not apply specifically to weight loss or body recomposition, but they do for long term health. Some of us are concerned with what happens well after we reach our goal weight or bodyfat percentage or ideal level of muscle mass.

I've seen a lot of posts on this forum by people who bash "clean eaters" and look like bodybuilders. That's all fine and dandy. But I couldn't give two craps about the fact that they reached their fitness goals. I care about what life will be like for them at 70 or 80.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd like to clear this up once and for all. Lately, the forums have been plagued with people claiming that they are "eating clean" and it's getting quite annoying.

There is no such thing as “clean" food.

There is no such thing as “dirty" food.

You can eat processed foods. You can eat chocolate, poptarts, hotdogs, drink soda. Go ahead and even have a nice big juicey burger from McDonalds if you wish!

The key is to fit it in to your macronutrients. Make food work for you instead of cowering in fear like the mass majority. You can still enjoy the foods you love. Yes it’s in moderation. You can still even lose fat, eat at a caloric deficit, gain muscle mass and eat poptarts. I promise.

I wish everyone would stop the fear mongering with carbs, processed foods and paleo bullcrap.

FOODS LIKE THESE DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVER EATING THEM DOES.

Thank you.
    ' I like what he said. I find that many nutritionist would agree with what was stated.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    @OP: The benefits of a diet that minimizes processed foods may or may not apply specifically to weight loss or body recomposition, but they do for long term health. Some of us are concerned with what happens well after we reach our goal weight or bodyfat percentage or ideal level of muscle mass.

Can you elaborate or quantify what you mean by long term health, or "what happens after"?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Can you elaborate or quantify what you mean by long term health, or "what happens after"?

Heart health, diabetes risks, dementia, etc...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I've seen a lot of posts on this forum by people who bash "clean eaters" and look like bodybuilders. That's all fine and dandy. But I couldn't give two craps about the fact that they reached their fitness goals. I care about what life will be like for them at 70 or 80.

Logically a lot of us will be dead due to things unrelated to actual health. Just throwing that out there.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Logically a lot of us will be dead due to things unrelated to actual health. Just throwing that out there.

Given my preferred means of transportation that will more than likely apply to me as well. But, I like to plan for the unlikely event that I will not have died in a motorcycle wreck before then.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Can you elaborate on any of these, and offer some scientific evidence to back the claim of increased risk as a result of an isocaloric, matched-macronutrient intake "clean" vs "unclean" diet?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    2v8lp1g.gif

I got the drinks and popcorn - want to sit down front?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Given my preferred means of transportation that will more than likely apply to me as well. But, I like to plan for the unlikely event that I will not have died in a motorcycle wreck before then.

I'm not sure I see the point in living my life in such a way that on the off change I make it to 80 I'm slightly more healty than the 80 year old lady in the bed next to me in the nursing home.

Also I'm not sure the way I eat means I'll be any less healthy to 80, but if you have some studies or something to contrary I'd love to see them.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

^ this Exactly! Skinny does not mean Healthy. If all you want is to be skinny, sure you can eat all the McDonalds you want and work out all day and that should do it. If you want to be healthy, maybe you should look into not pumping your body full of chemicals. It's pretty simple.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

^ this Exactly! Skinny does not mean Healthy. If all you want is to be skinny, sure you can eat all the McDonalds you want and work out all day and that should do it. If you want to be healthy, maybe you should look into not pumping your body full of chemicals. It's pretty simple.

Can you quantify what you mean by healthy? In other words, how do you determine whether someone is healthy without looking at the food they eat?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you don't pump your body full of chemicals you'll die, which doesn't seem very healthy
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Can you elaborate on any of these, and offer some scientific evidence to back the claim of increased risk as a result of an isocaloric, matched-macronutrient intake "clean" vs "unclean" diet?

I'd love to see any credible sources for these claims as well.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

So if I ate "clean" at a deficit and stayed in bed all day I would be ripped?

I fail to see your point. Being healthy and being fit are two different things. People successfully eat McDonald's, work out, and have bangin' bodies.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Can you quantify what you mean by healthy? In other words, how do you determine whether someone is healthy without looking at the food they eat?
    [/quote]

I'm interested to hear also. Just want to see where I stand on this sliding scale of health...
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Let me ask you this: By your logic, a person could live entirely on Donuts and use whey protein shake mix to supplement the lack of protein in donuts and see no adverse health effects after years upon years of doing so, provided they matched their ideal carb/fat/protein profile. Is that what you're saying?