Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    Options
    here r a few examples of clean foods, steam veggies, brown rice, chicken breast, steam fish, egg whites, lean cuts of steak, potatos (no butter). just becuz something is home cooked doesnt mean its clean.
    Personally I find egg yolks, fattier cuts of meat and butter perfectly acceptable.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Whilst everyone is tossing around their cholesterol numbers I just thought I'd mention that I think cholesterol is a bunch of crap. Why?

A) Most people's cholesterol numbers read better after weight loss; no matter how they lost the weight
    B) Cholesterol often seems to bear little relevance to people's lifestyles and quite a lot to genetic factors - for instance, my Father is obese and I'm obese but we both have fantastic cholesterol numbers. My Mother and aunt are both very fit with low body fat % and they both have cholesterol levels that their doctors are concerned about....even though they can't suggest any dietary improvements.

Lipid profiles, along with risks of cardiovascular disease, improve significantly with loss of body fat and increase in activity level. Virtually without fail.

Yes, genetics play a large part about where those numbers settle with good body composition, fiber intake, and exercise levels... but for virtually everyone they improve significantly when you lose weight and get in shape.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lipid profiles, along with risks of cardiovascular disease, improve significantly with loss of body fat and increase in activity level. Virtually without fail.

Which is what I said; most people end up with better cholesterol readings when they lose weight, no matter how they lost weight - it doesn't matter whether you eat 'clean', eat 'crappy', fast your way to it, jog your way to it...there mere fact of dropping excess body fat will improve readings.
    Yes, genetics play a large part about where those numbers settle with good body composition, fiber intake, and exercise levels... but for virtually everyone they improve significantly when you lose weight and get in shape.

Yup, I think my point was that great cholesterol numbers are not a given, even if you are fit and healthy because genetics absolutely do play a big part in it. I lucked out, even though I'm obese and therefore not fit, I have great cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure readings - to the point where in my last total health check I was given less than 1% chance of getting any issues with heart disease or diabetes in the next 10 years (and I'm in my mid-40s so don't have youth on my side). Therefore as I lose weight, I doubt I'm going to see dramatic improvements in these areas as there isn't any room for dramatic improvements.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling people to go stuff their face with unhealthy food, no. All I'm saying is feel free to mix it up every once in a while. Eat foods that love. If you love eating these "clean" foods every single day, then go ahead. But most people I know who are dieting don't do it this way, because cravings eventually do kick in and mentally you'll start caving in, trust me. It's easy to say "Oh I've been eating clean for 7 days", that's cool, try doing it for the rest of your life.

I'm pretty sure I could survive the rest of my life without a Big Mac. I eat good food, like steak, and ribs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that people should ease up and stop being so militant about things, but you can eat clean, quality food and not crave fast food or food that comes from a box, surprisingly enough, real food tastes better than the crap they shovel at you at the drive thru.

Rigger

Gonna agree here ^^.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My definition of clean: foods without HFCS, sugar, fructose, or highly processed gi flours. I eat this way for medical reasons. I don't care how someone else eats or what they label it as. I just know I can't eat foods/drinks containing those items.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Whlie I agree with your fundamental (all caps) point, perhaps not everyone talking about eating clean is worried only about losing weight. I don't think of "eating clean" as a weight loss strategy as much as I think of it as a way to eat more healthfully... weight is not the only thing to consider in overall health.

All that being said, I don't necessarily "eat clean" nor eliminate all processed food from my diet...

Exactly.
  • ashleew1117
    ashleew1117 Posts: 158
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?

I'm pretty sure that i would be considered 'obese' and i eat fairly clean.
    You don't have to be skinny or healthy to eat clean anyone can do it.

Your just a jerk for even posting that.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

This time infinity!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try doing some research and having more facts behind you before you make sweeping statements. Of course people can lose weight with processed foods. People lose weight on liquid diets that come from powdered shake mix.

But the science is behind the weight loss benefits and health benefits of eating more whole foods because processed carbs spike and drop blood sugar. The blood sugar profiles for instant oatmeal and steel-cut oatmeal are hugely different; the latter is more like eating meat, a much more even line.

Not to mention that from a health perspective, there's a lot more to micronutrients than the vitamins and minerals that appear on the nutrition-data labels. And a lot of those micronutrients are not present in highly processed food or are present in much smaller amounts.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The organisms spoiling meat may infect the animal either while still alive ("endogenous disease") or may contaminate the meat after its slaughter ("exogenous disease").[1] There are numerous diseases that humans may contract from endogenously infected meat, such as anthrax, bovine tuberculosis, brucellosis, salmonellosis, listeriosis, trichinosis or taeniasis.[2]
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    here r a few examples of clean foods, steam veggies, brown rice, chicken breast, steam fish, egg whites, lean cuts of steak, potatos (no butter). just becuz something is home cooked doesnt mean its clean.
    Personally I find egg yolks, fattier cuts of meat and butter perfectly acceptable.

I can take any number of fresh whole ingredients and produce something that a clean eater wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Their loss I say- I love tasty food, all the better if I've cooked it myself, but I'm not too fussy on that. What gets me is the fact that some people will eat the ingredients raw or seperate or grilled, but mix them together and cook it, it becomes 'processed' or 'dirty'.
    Idk, is seperating the yolk from the white a 'process' or not?
  • Chlochloeaway
    Options
    The clean eating zombies have raised from the dead again today
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?

If a person who eats "clean" and does not maintain a deficit they will gain weight. You could eat 3500 calories in fruit or whole grains and still gain weight.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    ... have a nice big juicey burger from McDonalds ...

Where the heck are you finding a big juicy burger from McDonalds? This is the most ridiculous part of this rant.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    i dunno. I can est 1700 cals of crap just because it fits into my macros.... or I can eat 1700 cals of "clean" foods such as fruits and veggies and my body reacts better.........

Just cause it fits into your macros, doesn't mean you should have it...... just sayin =)
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I see this topic has raised it's ugly head once again. I was hoping nobody would bump it, and it would disappear forever and ever.

:'(
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    =) never lol. The lovely cons to the internet =/
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling people to go stuff their face with unhealthy food, no. All I'm saying is feel free to mix it up every once in a while. Eat foods that love. If you love eating these "clean" foods every single day, then go ahead. But most people I know who are dieting don't do it this way, because cravings eventually do kick in and mentally you'll start caving in, trust me. It's easy to say "Oh I've been eating clean for 7 days", that's cool, try doing it for the rest of your life.

And thats why you have "cheat meals" to avoid the binge eating. Eating clean just means, eating things close to the natural state, so there is a such thing.....duh
    haha it makes me laugh when people have no idea what they are talking about, but act like it. :laugh:
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options

And thats why you have "cheat meals" to avoid the binge eating. Eating clean just means, eating things close to the natural state, so there is a such thing.....duh
    haha it makes me laugh when people have no idea what they are talking about, but act like it. :laugh:

Ouch...

Brb gona go cry in a corner.

And eat some dirty ice cream to comfort me because of your harsh comment.

=)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think any person's definition of "clean" will be the same, you do your thing and I'll do mine. I eat what people would consider both clean and dirty foods. No rhyme or reason to it, I just don't stress over a prefect freaking diet/way of life. I think there's something to be said about not beating yourself up mentally for having a big fat slice of cake or a Big Mac the odd time. I don't need YET ANOTHER reason to look in the mirror and tell myself I'm a piece of crap than-you-very-much.