Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Liftingheavy1, let's just get it out there, shall we? You're a lonely teenage boy who gets his rocks off on trolling random internet forums. Just say it so we can all continue ignoring your semi-literate and irrelevant comments. Kthanksbye.

Hit the nail on the head with that one :laugh:
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    Liftingheavy1, let's just get it out there, shall we? You're a lonely teenage boy who gets his rocks off on trolling random internet forums. Just say it so we can all continue ignoring your semi-literate and irrelevant comments. Kthanksbye.

yes you are right remember you are all knowing :) above it all you guys are a bunch of snobs.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

yes you are right remember you are all knowing :) above it all you guys are a bunch of snobs.

abandon-thread.gif
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    ibtl.gif
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I eat:
    Fast food 1-2 times a week.
    Restaurant food once a week.
    "Processed convenience food" like boxed, flavored noodles or rice 2 times a week.

I'm 33 years old. Have a healthy BMI. An "athlete" level body fat percentage. I can bench press 100+ pounds for reps, deadlift 170. I can mountain bike 10 miles easily. Lift and carry 2 children at once, all the groceries, etc.

I haven't been to the doctor for a while so I can't claim healthy blood test results. However my husband just went. His blood work all came back very healthy and he eats the same "un-clean" diet I do, plus he can ride his bike 100 miles and has a 12% body fat percentage.

Pretty sure our insides don't "suck".

of course now you don't you feel invincible and that is all that matters :)

Do you have anything to add to the thread besides homophobic insults and vague threats about premature death?

:drinker:
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    f26.jpg
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    I'm not telling people to go stuff their face with unhealthy food, no. All I'm saying is feel free to mix it up every once in a while. Eat foods that love. If you love eating these "clean" foods every single day, then go ahead. But most people I know who are dieting don't do it this way, because cravings eventually do kick in and mentally you'll start caving in, trust me. It's easy to say "Oh I've been eating clean for 7 days", that's cool, try doing it for the rest of your life.

I'm pretty sure I could survive the rest of my life without a Big Mac. I eat good food, like steak, and ribs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that people should ease up and stop being so militant about things, but you can eat clean, quality food and not crave fast food or food that comes from a box, surprisingly enough, real food tastes better than the crap they shovel at you at the drive thru.

Rigger

Yes. I love this. You took the words right outta my mouth!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    LOUD NOISES!

/thread
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    personally, I subscribe to the moderation on occasion theory for every day, but not when I am training/prepping to compete. Then, I eat clean. Otherwise, I enjoy life. But, that's what works for me. Not everyone is the same. Not everyone has the discipline to stick to moderation. No need in telling people there is no clean eating, because everyone needs to do what they feel works best for them. Besides, it is way too much stress worrying about what others are or aren't eating.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Eating 'clean' makes no difference when you want to lose weight, but it does when you're trying to gain without adding too much fat. Few people on MFP are looking to gain weight.

gainer here!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Yes we get it..theres no dirty and clean way..

but you know what? he is talking about IIFYM. Not a lot of people understand this way of eating.

I actually eat clean...but I also count IIFYM... I also have a lot of IFBB pro friends who would laugh at this "pop tart" way of eating.

so yes, if you want to know more about macros, please google IIFYM..it will tell you all about it.

Until then..I'll stick with my gluten free, egg whites, chicken and sweat potatoes =)

Just MY opinion =)

...you eat sweat potatoes?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

You can eat processed foods. You can eat chocolate, poptarts, hotdogs, drink soda. Go ahead and even have a nice big juicey burger from McDonalds if you wish!

The key is to fit it in to your macronutrients.

FOODS LIKE THESE DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVER EATING THEM DOES.

Thank you.

I respectfully disagree with these points i copied and pasted. there are some foods that are not as good for the body as others, so i do not believe you CAN eat every single thing that is labeled as food without some consequence to the body - good or bad nutritionwise.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I restrict my eating, but for genetic reasons.. as in I already had that, "guess what your triglycerides are way too high," speech and I was in my mid 20s. So, I did what the Dr. said (well, not right away, I was in my mid 20s, ha.. but I do now) and limited processed carbs and sodas. I only limit though, I still enjoy them, I just don't live off of them like I was then. I have half a family with crappy genes who die young, develop illnesses, etc. The other half lives forever. They eat similar foods since neither side is health conscious, but one can handle it better than the other. I lost a lot of weight when I lowered my carbs (just a little) and ate less refined foods. I wasn't watching calories nor was I working out that much. I am just predicting that blood-sugar issues are in my future and trying to limit when they will arrive. I have two generations of diabetics in my immediate family line.

I haven't been checked in a while though, I should probably do that. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the impression reading everyone's opinion is that a lot of it is anecdotal "evidence".

I dont think one's personal subjective experience should be the norm.

I think science has some facts that we can beleive, even though they keep changing the idea of what makes someone fat. then a diet is created out of it. first low calorie, then low carb, then adkins, then the watermelon diet, etc.

FYI, this may explain why i have taken such lousy care of my body and I have not suffered a heart attack, meanwhile some jogger goes and has a heart attack right in the middle of the jog. Remember that guy who this happened to? He was some kind of spokesperson for a cereal in the 1970's or 1980.s

Now, even though I have outlived people who have probably taken better care of themselves, because I survived them with crap eating, i would not recommend my pre-diet way of eating to anyone. i really dont know how i escaped heart attacks and diabetes, i ate a lot of sugar i.e. candy, fudge, chocolate, etc. i still dont know why im not as sick as i ought to be.

Maybe its my DNA or genes or something..

But i am saying, i would not let someone's anecdotal subjective personal experience make me decide YES Thats the one i want to eat like!

some things even the experts cannot yet figure out, otherwise they would have found a pill that REALLY worked for realz.

That medicine that was so good for weight loss - Phen Fen, I took that and lost 100 pounds within a year, it really zapped my appetite, but since idiots who probably should not have taken that very strong med got sick from it, they removed it from the market. it really worked for me and gave me NO problems. So i woudld recommend Phen Fen if it were legal. Not to go off topic with that, but weird things make people lose weight and some are harmful and some helpful to various people.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?
    Do you watch what everybody eats, all the time?

Jiminy Christmas.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.
    I didn't change my eating pattern. By simply eating at a deficit (and exercising) I reduced my cholesterol by 80 points. I was also prediabetic and prehypertensive, all turned to normal after I lost weight the un-clean way.

This guy had the same experience:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Now, I'm not gonna go to the extremes like the good professor. I still think a balanced diet is healthier and more sustainable as a lifestyle. But, unless I'm planning to go beyond being healthy and get into the realm of aesthetics (like bodybuilding), I'm not gonna eat 'clean'.

This happened to me also. My HDL went WAY up, my triglycerides went super low, my blood pressure normalized, blood glucose is great... pretty much every single thing improved with the exception of my iron, which remained the same (well within normal)
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Whilst everyone is tossing around their cholesterol numbers I just thought I'd mention that I think cholesterol is a bunch of crap. Why?

A) Most people's cholesterol numbers read better after weight loss; no matter how they lost the weight
    B) Cholesterol often seems to bear little relevance to people's lifestyles and quite a lot to genetic factors - for instance, my Father is obese and I'm obese but we both have fantastic cholesterol numbers. My Mother and aunt are both very fit with low body fat % and they both have cholesterol levels that their doctors are concerned about....even though they can't suggest any dietary improvements.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    here r a few examples of clean foods, steam veggies, brown rice, chicken breast, steam fish, egg whites, lean cuts of steak, potatos (no butter). just becuz something is home cooked doesnt mean its clean.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LOLz. That rhymes. Significant post made.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    personally, I subscribe to the moderation on occasion theory for every day, but not when I am training/prepping to compete. Then, I eat clean. Otherwise, I enjoy life. But, that's what works for me. Not everyone is the same. Not everyone has the discipline to stick to moderation. No need in telling people there is no clean eating, because everyone needs to do what they feel works best for them. Besides, it is way too much stress worrying about what others are or aren't eating.

Yes.

People are different, and they have different goals in life. It's funny that I easily have the discipline to eat clean, but I don't do it because I don't need to (I'm still cutting). On the other hand my wife is on lazy maintenance, so she eats clean. Eating clean and avoiding fast food joints works for her, because she craves certain kinds of food and will stuff her face if she gets them within reach.

When I see a piece of chocolate cake, I see 400 calories and I step away if I don't have the caloric budget for it. When she sees chocolate cake, she eats it, clean eating be damned. It's in her best interest to avoid places where chocolate cake is served.