Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

Options

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I know I have a BMI of 40 and I do BodyPump, Nike Training Club, Step, Zumba and BodyCombat. Try telling me I couldn't climb a mountain...give me a break...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know I have a BMI of 40 and I do BodyPump, Nike Training Club, Step, Zumba and BodyCombat. Try telling me I couldn't climb a mountain...give me a break...

Okay, you asked...but I'll be slightly less specific than just climbing a mountain:

There are some activities they do in Scouting that you almost certainly couldn't keep up with. Philmont is one obvious example.
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options
    How big would a kid have to be to have a BMI over 40?

If the kid is 4 feet 5 inches he would have to weigh 160 to get a BMI of 40.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

They don't just hike up a mountain, there are other activities. You are also an adult who does strength training, most kids don't carry a lot of muscle, making their BMI high because of scrictly fat.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because the streets are overflowing with kids having heart attacks from over exertion. :huh:
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So if they can't discriminate against gay kids, then they are going to discriminate against the fat kids?? :huh: :noway:

Don't they realize that 'physically demanding' is what these kids need????
    this
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Yeah, because the streets are overflowing with kids having heart attacks from over exertion. :huh:

That isn't the only risk. Read the thread. These events are out in the middle of nowhere, you can't just stop and get bussed back to camp if you get sick, hurt, can't mae it, etc.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

That isn't the only risk. Read the thread. These events are out in the middle of nowhere, you can't just stop and get bussed back to camp if you get sick, hurt, can't mae it, etc.

Apparently people do not want to accept the physiological realities of morbid obesity.
    Again, it's not just conjecture, it's fact.
    The overwhelming strain on just the heart and lungs alone while at rest is a ticking time bomb.
    Add ANY exertion, I'm talking about walking to the bathroom, and their respiratory rate goes sky high while their oxygen saturation plummets.
    You cannot take a sedentary, morbidly obese kid and suddenly expect him to do strenuous activity.
    Yes, they need exercise, but it needs to be slow, steady and safe.
    I wonder how many posters on this thread have actually cared for anyone who is morbidly obese?
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    The whole time reading all I could think was not about the Boy Scouts excluding such a high BMI but I was thinking how could parents let this happen to a child? I don't think I have seen a child with a BMI of 40 up close.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The whole time reading all I could think was not about the Boy Scouts excluding such a high BMI but I was thinking how could parents let this happen to a child? I don't think I have seen a child with a BMI of 40 up close.

I've been thinking about that as well, but that's another can of worms...
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Ok, I have no problem with kids not being put at risk. But I am an Eagle Scout. I went to scouting events on three continents. Completed a couple of 50 milers, I taught how to build stuff like monkey bridges, and even spent a summer in the Keys as a camp counselor.

I NEVER would have met this criteria as a kid. I was heavy, but fit. BMI is not a good measure of ability.

Kids will self select. Stress what is going to take place and let them determine if they are up to the challenge. If not, then pull them to the side and don't let them do a particular activity. But only if it is a safety issue.

If any kid needs to be challenged physically it is them.

You were above a 40 BMI as a KID and still fit? I find that very hard to believe. How much could you bench as a KID, about 350?
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Apparently people do not want to accept the physiological realities of morbid obesity.

That's the crux of the matter.
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    Logic? What's that? Let's not only discriminate against fat kids based on BMI, which is a crap measure of health and fitness anyway, but let's also prevent them from having an experience which includes all kinds of activities that are, gasp, exercise, and would do nothing but improve their health!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    My boss is on this trip with his son. My boss had to lose 10+ lbs just to be able to go on this trip. It sounded odd to me that they would be so selective.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Logic? What's that? Let's not only discriminate against fat kids based on BMI, which is a crap measure of health and fitness anyway, but let's also prevent them from having an experience which includes all kinds of activities that are, gasp, exercise, and would do nothing but improve their health!

Dropping a sedentary, morbidly obese child into the middle of nowhere and expecting them to hike 50 miles up mountains, kayak, zipline, etc with no easy way out and no guides helping every step of the way is not a good idea nor the kind of exercise a kid that size needs.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options

It is not just BMI. BMI is the guideline and the scout or adult still needs a sign off from a doctor to go. I also have to have medical forms filled out by a doctor and in the past have not been signed off by my doctor to BSA camp.

This Camp is at 10,500 feet and designed to make scouters walk a lot more then normal camp. (roughly 10 miles a day to move in and around camp for events) if a doctor is not willing to sign off a kid, that is not discrimination, but medical.

As I stated earlier, my scout group is going on a three day backpacking trip at 7,500 and all of us had to have our medical forms filled out. we have two kids who are either at 40+ or dang close, but are active and have a doctor's sign off.

My group also just came back from a week at a summer camp, that was active and attended by scouts of all sizes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Let's address the issue here: if the obese kids can't participate, then why should they be scouts? If it's to build camraderie and to be more social, then singling them out to be banned for participating isn't achieving that. Logically they shouldn't be on the 50 mile hike, climb, etc, but as mentioned there can be an alternative challenge.
    What about boy scouts who have prosthetics? Or who are blind? Or cerebral palsy? They banned too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Let's address the issue here: if the obese kids can't participate, then why should they be scouts? If it's to build camraderie and to be more social, then singling them out to be banned for participating isn't achieving that. Logically they shouldn't be on the 50 mile hike, climb, etc, but as mentioned there can be an alternative challenge.
    What about boy scouts who have prosthetics? Or who are blind? Or cerebral palsy? They banned too?

IDEA Fitness member

::claps:: Thank you. Could not agree more.
  • moosegt35
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

From THIS PARTICULAR NATIONAL EVENT? probably so. They are NOT banned from boy scouts, they are banned from ONE event in which it is not safe for them to participate in. They should be scouts because they get to do EVERY OTHER event that isn't even in the same ball park of danger, and exertion that this one is. I have no idea why this is hard for you people to understand. It isn't safe, practical and would put the BSA at great risk for law suits and sky rocketed insurance premiums.

It's kind of like why I (at 6'11") can't ride certain rides at a theme park. Why not? I am a perfectly healthy adult that can fit in the ride and get my safety harness buckled. I can't ride it because the manufacturer's put a max height limit on the ride in order to prevent injury, law suits and extreme insurance premiums. Well why should I even go to the theme park? Because I can participate in all of the other rides that are made to accomodate someone my size. I suppose they should make me a "special cart" on the ONE ride that I want to ride though so it's safe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

From THIS PARTICULAR NATIONAL EVENT? probably so. They are NOT banned from boy scouts, they are banned from ONE event in which it is not safe for them to participate in. They should be scouts because they get to do EVERY OTHER event that isn't even in the same ball park of danger, and exertion that this one is. I have no idea why this is hard for you people to understand. It isn't safe, practical and would put the BSA at great risk for law suits and sky rocketed insurance premiums.

It's kind of like why I (at 6'11") can't ride certain rides at a theme park. Why not? I am a perfectly healthy adult that can fit in the ride and get my safety harness buckled. I can't ride it because the manufacturer's put a max height limit on the ride in order to prevent injury, law suits and extreme insurance premiums. Well why should I even go to the theme park? Because I can participate in all of the other rides that are made to accomodate someone my size. I suppose they should make me a "special cart" on the ONE ride that I want to ride though so it's safe.
    If it's ONE event, then I will agree. But it's the entire jamboree if that's my understanding. I mean, shooting an arrow doesn't need a ton of physical ability. Learning camping skills neither. If it's ONE demanding physical event, then yes they should be not expected to participate.

IDEA Fitness member