• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    CLAP CLAP get out of my way...

LOL really?! this is hilarious!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    When I am running, I am not paying attention to you, nor do I intend to start because it hurts your feelings. Sorry.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    even if I don't wave back, I'll give a head nod, or a smile. same thing as when I'm on my motorcycle :-)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

How much back hair are we talking about? That frightens some people.

I wave at everyone but most of them don't wave back. I just figure they're huffing and puffing and concentrated on exercising. I don't assume that they're rude.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your title is a generalization. On my bicycle this morning, I passed a few runners who said "Good morning" and waved. Just like some people say bikers are rude. It really depends on the individual. Plus, it's not always rude to "not" wave. Sometimes people are "in the zone" or just not the type of person to wave or speak to strangers. That alone doesn't make them rude.

Wave if you like. Say "good day" if you like. But don't be offended if the kindness isn't returned, thinking that it's rude.
  • AAX2
    AAX2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always wave. Most of the time people wave back, but occasionally they don't. I wouldn't take it personally.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So, I'm out on my run this am..very early, about 610am I left. I don't understand other runners who you pass, and are literally inches from you, and don't wave back. I mean really? I'm running in suburbia here, not in the city. Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

You really want people to wave at you while they're running? Really? I mean, this is a joke, right?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've never been clapped at that would be so funny.

I mostly highfive other runners. I like to see how many I can get on an average morning :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think all the responses pretty sum up what I was thinking...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I make a point of hugging every runner I pass, and giving them a sparkly sticker to keep and enjoy. No one can accuse ME of being rude.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Based on previous MFP threads, people are afraid of being attacked on their run, often to the point of asking where's the best place carry a gun. Maybe you are scaring them with that wave.
  • magistra12
    magistra12 Posts: 22
    Options
    I can deal with this, people who just aren't responsive. Either they're in the zone, take themselves far too seriously to be friendly or are just generally d-bags.

What I can't deal with is when I run, sometimes a runner will be coming straight at me and rather than swerve to avoid collision like you normally do with every other sentient human you pass, they CLAP at you as if you're some kind of dog who is standing blocking the entire pavement. As if you haven't got eyes and noticed. CLAP CLAP get out of my way... it's incredibly rude and entitled to behave as if the entire street is yours and people need to get out of your way.

If I ever get the cojones I'mma clothesline one of these fools.
    This only started happening when I moved to London so maybe it's a country/ city thing?

Where on earth do you live that people are such *kitten*? I can't even conceive of someone clapping like that... I'd probably stop and chew them out right there.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I'm really shy, so I don't look at other people when I'm running. Maybe that was their issue? Or, like someone else said, maybe they were in the zone.

That said, there have been times when I have said hello or smiled at someone at the store and they just give me a "go to hell" look.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I'm not talking a full "wave" like waving "HI" to someone, all I do is raise my hand slightly. I run on a trail, so people are literally RIGHT next to me. It's not like I'm taking it personally, I just find it rude. I had a great run- almost 7 miles.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    CLAP CLAP get out of my way...

LOL really?! this is hilarious!

Yep... I've only lived here like a year and the first time it happened I actually slowed to a stop because I was so confused.

Also I had a cyclist scream abuse at me for running THROUGH the cycle lane (not along it) even though the entire street was empty and he was a full 10-15 metres away even after I'd crossed.

I also stopped and was like... ok what just happened here? How do I cross the road if I can't go through a cycle lane? It's like saying you can't cross the kerb. This seems like a very angry part of the world!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I make a point of hugging every runner I pass, and giving them a sparkly sticker to keep and enjoy. No one can accuse ME of being rude.

Stickers????
    Psh... I give them fruit baskets. Makes the run more challenging if they have to carry stuff.

However, if they don't take it, I throw the oranges at them so then it's like running dodge ball.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    ...It's not like I'm taking it personally...

The fact that you posted a thread to express your offense suggests the opposite.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    They clap at you to get out of their way?!?!?!

wm9Srgj.gif
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I'm not talking a full "wave" like waving "HI" to someone, all I do is raise my hand slightly. I run on a trail, so people are literally RIGHT next to me. It's not like I'm taking it personally, I just find it rude. I had a great run- almost 7 miles.

How is it rude though?

Do you expect everyone in your life to say hi to you?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Wave? I don't have time to wave. I'm too busy focusing on the running.

Left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, right, left, right... argh! See.