Women who drink

Options

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Just replace food with the booze ;-)

My favorite drink is grape vodka, diet tonic with a splash of Sprite Zero. Well, one of my favorites. I like them all.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    alcohol really screws up your fat loss. I can't recite the technical reasons but it's the way your body uses acohol for fuel (or doesnt rather) that is a double-whammy to fat loss.

I'm sure there are some experts who can chime in.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I first started MFP in my partying years (...which, I think I'm still in, by the way!), and I used to keep within my calorie range while going out to drink .... I used to add in my drinks to my calorie count before I went out ... and I would add like 4 or 5 in there lol .. just because I knew I would actually drink that much, especially if I wanted to get drunk ... (It sounds so awful to type out, but whatever, everyone does it lol) .... So I would track my alcohol calories .. then I would add in an additional 400-500 calories for food that you will eat when drunk .... And dont even use the whole "oh i wont eat when I'm drunk" ... yeah, yeah you will. Just accept that fact now, and add it in. I would also look into which liquors have the least amount of calories .. From what I can remember, vodka or tequila has the least ... I wouldnt drink beer if your trying to lose weight mainly because its still pretty high in calories, it makes you feel bloated, plus you'll have to drink more of it to get you drunk .. which if thats your goal, stick with liquor ... If you're more about just going out after work to have a few cocktails, you should still be OK. Also, exercise the day that you are going out ... If you go hard-core at the gym, you can rack up enough extra calories that you wont be blowing your day completely, AND watch whatever you are eating that day ... mainly because you will consume extra calories after the drinking, so you can try to balance out your "before and after" calories. Also, if you are going to have a mixed drink, keep the add-ins to things that are low in calories .. like, if you are going to drink vodka, get a flavored vodka (my favorite is cherry) and mix it with soda water and a splash of cranberry juice .. instead of a straight vodka & cranberry .... or use diet coke and bacardi rum .. Or just do shots =)

I have to tell you though, if you are really serious about losing weight, you really do gotta give up alcohol. You can still drink it and have a good time, but if your looking for an easy way to still go out, drink and have a great time with your friends every weekend, its going to reflect on the scale, unfortunately!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often because I know it impedes weight loss, but here are some ideas:

Vodka/tonic/lime
    Skinny rita - 1 shot of Patron silver (or tequila of choice), a dash of triple sec and a squeeze of lime (I calculated the calories on this and I think it comes out to 75 or so, depending on what kind of tequila you use)
    Vodka/light cranberry juice/lime
    Gin/tonic

Just looking at beer makes me gain weight!
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    Yes, I love craft beer. I just log whatever I drink, and that definitely limits me, since I have to fit it into my daily calories.

Since I have lost weight and have cut down the occasions where I drink, I've turned into a cheap date.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a lot... once a month -ish? But when I do... it's usually wine or vodka cran or rum/rye and diet.

I don't drink juice or pop (soda w/e!) otherwise.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    it's not so much the drinks as the wings, grande supremo turbo nachos, calamari, hot pretzels w/ cheese dip, or pizza they force me to eat that usually causes the trouble.

Just kick up the exercise to cover at least some of it. :drinker:

lol YES! I can never stop eating bar food once I'm too plastered. I used to have this handy worksheet that showed the lowest cal alcohols and what to mix for "skinny" cocktails. I remember Everclear was THE lowest cal pure liquor, but other than that I'm at a loss. So wait, you all mix vodka with WATER?? like, order at the bar "I'd like a vodka and water with a lime" ???

I do soda water, I'm pretty sure that's what everyone is talking about. Soda water is just carbonated water, the lime adds some flavor so it's not horrible. if you get a flavored vodka you don't notice it as much. Takes a little to get use to, but the results are the same.
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    FYI: flavored vodkas are full of SUGAR
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    alcohol really screws up your fat loss. I can't recite the technical reasons but it's the way your body uses acohol for fuel (or doesnt rather) that is a double-whammy to fat loss.

I'm sure there are some experts who can chime in.

Not really. It has very significant effects on the body, but it doesn't "screw up" anything as far as caloric balance. This myth owes a lot to the fact that people tend to lose willpower and diet adherence when they are intoxicated, as well as the fact that when hungover, most people will crave energy dense (especially fatty) foods.

I'm no self-proclaimed expert but I drink a lot, eat a lot, read a lot and exercise a lot :)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Only once a week? Heck try 3 times a week! lol. My friends and I go out so much we created a happy hour group!!

Just log it like anything else...most of the time my drink of choice is a gin + tonic. One of those costs me 1 mile of running. I've run 3 half-marathons this year with more coming up. Can you tell why I run so much? lol. Love to eat and drink.

Btw, I don't really like beer. More of a mixed drink guy. Going out for margaritas tonight! :)

Oh I'm 5' 11 170 lbs...
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Mix vodka with a diet drink. Or man up and just drink that *kitten* without a mixer.
  • cynthiah24
    cynthiah24 Posts: 10
    Options
    UV blue and lemonade. It is delicious. Lowish in calories. Plus you get a good buzz after just one glass.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes. wine or clear liquor with a low calorie mixer. i prefer to stay in and make my own margaritas with fresh lime juice
  • ErinEaton
    ErinEaton Posts: 2
    Options
    i watch what i eat all week and stay under my calories so when the weekend comes and i choose to drink a few(twisted teas are my weakness) i don't feel as bad and it doesn't hurt me as bad but i always work out the next day.
  • fatash1021
    fatash1021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    it's not so much the drinks as the wings, grande supremo turbo nachos, calamari, hot pretzels w/ cheese dip, or pizza they force me to eat that usually causes the trouble.

Just kick up the exercise to cover at least some of it. :drinker:

lol YES! I can never stop eating bar food once I'm too plastered. I used to have this handy worksheet that showed the lowest cal alcohols and what to mix for "skinny" cocktails. I remember Everclear was THE lowest cal pure liquor, but other than that I'm at a loss. So wait, you all mix vodka with WATER?? like, order at the bar "I'd like a vodka and water with a lime" ???

Yep. I do it all the time. They don't question it. I usually get flavored vodka though to make it taste a little better. I usually go out once a week or every other week and it doesn't have any negative effect on my weight loss, however, be careful because you may not be able to drink as much as you used to and it might sneak up on you, especially if you eat light the whole day to account for it.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't do any heavy drinking anymore because I just can't handle the hangovers now that I'm getting older. but I still have a glass or 2 of wine on occasion and if I really want something like Sangria/mixed drinks at a picnic/bbq I just make sure I stay hydrated (water!!) and make sure I have the calories to spend.
  • jensin2grapes
    jensin2grapes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a bit, usually every day as it is a way of life in Florida! Although I try to take two to three days off a week to let my body recoup. My advise is to get your exercise and activity high, and when you go out clubbing with your friends at night, get up and dance, hard, for as long as you can stand to as you are burning off the calories...stay away from sugary drinks (we call them foo foo drinks, ie frozen cocktails, margaritas, etc), stay away from beer, and mix your liquor drinks with water, crystal light, diet soda, home made cool aid made with sweetener (just use less water for more flavor in the cocktail). I didn't read all the responses, so I hope that I haven't repeated something someone else said. Good luck!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I am a drinker and I don't feel like it has hindered my weight loss. I did stop drinking half a case of beer every night so I'm sure that helped. Now I drink vodka & diet sodas such as diet 7 up or sprite. My usual is vodka and diet cherry 7up. I do still drink beer just not as much of it. Just make sure you log it. :drinker:
  • jensin2grapes
    jensin2grapes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    they make diet twisted tea, but don't usually carry it in bars. You can ask the bar manager to start carrying a small amount of it for you...they might accommodate. I did when I was a bar manager...:wink: