Replies

• MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In to watch the pop tart hatred.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options

GMO is processed food. If the food has been altered by man, it's processed. In the US, food may not be labeled organic if it is GMO. Local doesn't matter for clean eating. At least not as it was originally defined way back in the day.

I realize there are any number of bastarized definitions these days, but when I first heard of the term clean eating (many years ago) it was all about processing. All about man's involvement in the food chain (or the lack thereof). It's about natural food. Shipping is not processing as it does not change the natural state or content of food.

GMO is genetically modified food. Genetically modified by man - meaning adding, reducing or mutating genes. GMO's are in a lot of processed foods, but there are processed foods out there with no GMOs. Processed food is food that has had so much stuff added to it or had to be purified or preserved in some way just to be edible (basically packaged, canned). And where I live, locally grown does matter for eating clean. By eating locally grown produce, I know exactly where it's coming from. I know the lemons and apricots come from a tree in my yard, my apples, strawberries, lettuce, etc. from a small family farm 30 minutes away that I can actually go and pick myself if I had time to! Exactly what do you mean by 'natural'? Just curious.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Food in, food out. Both have positives and negatives. Given that only this moment is a guarantee in life...WHO CARES
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

I think that it's basically this:

"processed food eaters"- their point is that it's not necessary to be excessively restrictive in the types of food you eat as long as you hit your macros and calorie goals. The idea being if people are restricting themselves too much, they will eventually fall off the bandwagon and binge/relapse/quit.

"clean food eaters"- this crowd thinks that for your health and wellness, it is imperative that you eat whole unprocessed foods as much as possible. Some people go extreme, like 100% raw foodism, but a lot are moderates- ie. I eat mostly whole foods, but I go out to eat once in a while, make exceptions now and again. They want to encourage people to eat more whole foods because the more whole foods you eat, the more you prefer whole foods. You actually lose the taste for processed foods (I can't stand a lot of processed crap after eating mostly whole foods for a number of years). They are also correct that whole foods have more vitamins and nutrients and fiber than processed food.

It's like catholics and protestants fighting, in my opinion. I just couldn't care. You are what you are. Just don't tell me that I have to eat ALL whole foods or that eating whole foods is a "load of bunk" and I'm good with you.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

[tongue somewhat in cheek]

as to why it becomes such a big fight all the time, it's because we're primates and when you understand how primate social systems work, peoples' behaviour on internet forums makes a whole lot more sense. Basically, when someone challenges your opinion, it triggers some innate primate neural networks that makes you see it as a threat to your position in the dominance heirachy, and if it's someone who's not on your friends list or you haven't seen around that much that's challenging you, you see it as a challenge from someone who's right at the bottom of the dominance heirachy, so you're quite indignant about being challenged by them, so you react the same way any other primate reacts when their position in the dominance heirachy is challenged... i.e. by asserting your position. If we weren't so constrained by our primate brain wiring, we might be able to view their opinion objectively, consider it carefully, and argue against it using logic and reason. Instead we resort to chest beating and stick waving and argue back indignantly without fully considering what they have to say, and feel this strong primal urge to defend our position rather than questioning whether we're actually correct or not.

[/tongue somewhat in cheek]

Please move to the states and marry me. I adore you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    GMO is processed food. If the food has been altered by man, it's processed. In the US, food may not be labeled organic if it is GMO. Local doesn't matter for clean eating. At least not as it was originally defined way back in the day.

I realize there are any number of bastarized definitions these days, but when I first heard of the term clean eating (many years ago) it was all about processing. All about man's involvement in the food chain (or the lack thereof). It's about natural food. Shipping is not processing as it does not change the natural state or content of food.

GMO is genetically modified food. Genetically modified by man - meaning adding, reducing or mutating genes. GMO's are in a lot of processed foods, but there are processed foods out there with no GMOs. Processed food is food that has had so much stuff added to it or had to be purified or preserved in some way just to be edible (basically packaged, canned). And where I live, locally grown does matter for eating clean. By eating locally grown produce, I know exactly where it's coming from. I know the lemons and apricots come from a tree in my yard, my apples, strawberries, lettuce, etc. from a small family farm 30 minutes away that I can actually go and pick myself if I had time to! Exactly what do you mean by 'natural'? Just curious.

Never suggested there were not processed foods that do not contain GMO foods. Natural definition posted above.

I'm not sure how picking your own food would ensure that it's more natural than if someone else picked it. I would imagine it's darn near impossible in today's world for many people to have knowledge of the entire growth and harvest process of every bite that goes in their mouth.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This'll make someone's head explode.

organic-twinkies.jpg

How Dare You!!!!! Blasphemy!!! :drinker:
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    My question is.. Do you react the same way in these threads as you do in real life? If you feel its important that you inform the public about health issues/non-issues do you normally jump on people when they say things you disagree with?

I ask because on a weekly basis, I get unsolicited advice on weight loss. In the past month I have been told about: Atkins...Plexus Slim... Eating Clean.. Stuff they saw on Dr. Oz...Crossfit...Fear of getting bulky from Crossfit... and some kind of spray that you put under your tounge.... So if I hear all of these things all of the time.. then surely you hear them pretty often. Do you react by being a jerk and bragging about the poptarts that you ate?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My question is.. Do you react the same way in these threads as you do in real life? If you feel its important that you inform the public about health issues/non-issues do you normally jump on people when they say things you disagree with?

I ask because on a weekly basis, I get unsolicited advice on weight loss. In the past month I have been told about: Atkins...Plexus Slim... Eating Clean.. Stuff they saw on Dr. Oz...Crossfit...Fear of getting bulky from Crossfit... and some kind of spray that you put under your tounge.... So if I hear all of these things all of the time.. then surely you hear them pretty often. Do you react by being a jerk and bragging about the poptarts that you ate?

I get solicited with those things, as well. I respectfully decline the offer and give a little reason why. Not much different than I would post in here.

I, also, am one to post pictures of my poptarts, ice cream, etc. for my friends to see. I don't do this to brag. Most people who I've known for several years have seen me lose 50 lbs. So, they automatically assume that I only eat chicken and veggies and that stereotypical "junk" food is off limits. I post them so that those same people can understand that losing weight doesn't have to be restrictive and that it can be fun.

Of course, I don't eat poptarts, cookies, ice cream everyday. A box of poptarts may take me a month or more to eat, but I don't look at that type of food as off limits or something that would hinder my efforts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Is that directed at someone in particular?

I don't eat Pop-Tarts, but when someone says something I disagree with or asks a question re: nutrition or weight loss I will tell them my thoughts and why I think that way.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Is that directed at someone in particular?

I don't eat Pop-Tarts, but when someone says something I disagree with or asks a question re: nutrition or weight loss I will tell them my thoughts and why I think that way.

No.. it was directed toward the Knee-jerk-your-wrong-I'm-right-Instead-of-having-an-intellectual-conversation-lets-bash-each-other-mfp population.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????

You seem a little stressed.

Have you tried eliminating added sugar from your diet?

hahahahaha!!!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Eh, I do both. I try to eat a lot of minimally processed things, but mostly so I can make room for the occasional "junky" treat and still meet my goals. I just try not to be an *kitten* about anything. Sometimes I fail.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

[tongue somewhat in cheek]

as to why it becomes such a big fight all the time, it's because we're primates and when you understand how primate social systems work, peoples' behaviour on internet forums makes a whole lot more sense. Basically, when someone challenges your opinion, it triggers some innate primate neural networks that makes you see it as a threat to your position in the dominance heirachy, and if it's someone who's not on your friends list or you haven't seen around that much that's challenging you, you see it as a challenge from someone who's right at the bottom of the dominance heirachy, so you're quite indignant about being challenged by them, so you react the same way any other primate reacts when their position in the dominance heirachy is challenged... i.e. by asserting your position. If we weren't so constrained by our primate brain wiring, we might be able to view their opinion objectively, consider it carefully, and argue against it using logic and reason. Instead we resort to chest beating and stick waving and argue back indignantly without fully considering what they have to say, and feel this strong primal urge to defend our position rather than questioning whether we're actually correct or not.

[/tongue somewhat in cheek]

Please move to the states and marry me. I adore you.

:flowerforyou: :blushing:
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eat dirty or GTFO
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    not sure but it's always cheap entertainment for me. Plus I love being a dirty girl.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not quite sure who you intended this for so if it was me then..... I get solicited crap in my PM too from Beachbody to Body wraps I should try to tighten up my loose skin after loosing so much weight. I don't even respond to them, just grin and delete them. As far as reacting the same way here out in the real world... yes if I am asked or I am in a group conversation, etc... I tell them the same thing as I do here I have no issue with anyone diet cause I do not consider foods in categories of good and bad. I then explain to them (mainly because after losing the weight I have people are genuinely interest in how I did it)I tel them I keep it simple by watching my set caloric intake, hitting my macro's by eating lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains and if I have any calories remaining I fill them with discretionary items such as pop tarts and ice cream or anything else that will fit. If you deem this being a jerk or bragging well then that is your own opinion and really no offense I could care less. The gifs of pop tarts and whatnot are normally in good humor as I did above for a friend of mine who is in a cut currently and wanted to see something he currently can't have right now.... if that come across as bragging well then I don't know what to tell you..... Best of Luck....
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    just switch to raw honey. It's clean.
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.

Winnie the Pooh.

Mmmmmm. Bee puke.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    just switch to raw honey. It's clean.
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.

Winnie the Pooh.
    Well, people can ignore video of a cat drinking a stream of milk directly form an udder, so I'll exercise that option.:laugh:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    some people feel strongly about what they eat. Its a totally personal descion.