IIFYM eating.......really???

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    2500 is extremely high for a female your age. what did you put for your exercise level? You can always cut back on exercise so you are able to consume less calories.

I logged in my age, height and weight and activity level and my TDEE came up as 3111 which seems excessive to me but here is how it breaks down with activity;
    very light-300 min a day---I like to read and sit quietly sometimes so it totals about 5 hrs a day
    light-675 min a day---I have 4 kids and house to run so cooking, cleaning, yardwork, walking around grocery store etc takes about 11 hrs a day...and it really does
    moderate-45 min a day---I take a 3 mile (45 min) walk every night for some quiet me time (again with 4 kids it's NEEDED)
    I didn't log anything under heavy or very heavy.
    sleeping took up the rest of the time---7 hrs

So my TDEE is 3111
    BMR is 1696
    For Macros the 15% recommended was 2644 calories
    the 20% (aggressive) was 2489
    and the 25% (reckless) was 2333

That all seems so very high to me but I logged pretty correctly to how my day goes.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and which calculator did you use?

I suspect you used an activity factor (1.2 or whatever, on the calculator it'll be 'sedentary', 'lightly active', etc). If you did that, your activity is already factored into that 1696 -- which is your TDEE, and NOT your BMR -- and you do NOT need to add additional activity estimations.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
    Does it really work for you?

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

this. listen to Sidesteel. Wise man.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Honestly at this point I think my smartest move would be to purchase I fitbit (I have wanted one anyway so this is a perfect reason) and let it give me an accurate idea of what my typical day is for burning calories. I would really like to do the IIFYM way of eating but my biggest concern is getting my TDEE right so I can get my macro numbers where they need to be. I don't want to guess to high and go over so I hope the fitbit can help me guess accurately.

Thanks much to all of you who commented. All this info was extremely helpful!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Honestly at this point I think my smartest move would be to purchase I fitbit (I have wanted one anyway so this is a perfect reason) and let it give me an accurate idea of what my typical day is for burning calories. I would really like to do the IIFYM way of eating but my biggest concern is getting my TDEE right so I can get my macro numbers where they need to be. I don't want to guess to high and go over so I hope the fitbit can help me guess accurately.

You will LOVE your fitbit!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

You will LOVE your fitbit!

Ohhhh YESSS!!! You will love your Fitbit!!! I know I love mine! My life has never been the same since I got it last Christmas! :love: :bigsmile:

Now, just so you know, Fitbit isn't 100% accurate. But based on my experience (and the experiences of others I've heard from), it's pretty close and it gives a pretty good idea of your TDEE. I've lost 12 pounds since I got my Fitbit and used it as an approximation for my TDEE! :bigsmile:
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    yes it works. I'm leaner then I've ever been following IIFYM and IF.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i personally stay away from IIFYM...that's just me

how so?

yea how so?

i generally try to eat "good" foods

Yes, because you have to eat only 'bad' food when applying IIFYM.

well because most people say when they are doing IIFYM they post pictures of a 5 patty cheeseburger they ate or they just had a ton of junk food. i know you'll come back with some snide remark
  • gatx
    gatx Posts: 179 Member
    Options

well because most people say when they are doing IIFYM they post pictures of a 5 patty cheeseburger they ate or they just had a ton of junk food. i know you'll come back with some snide remark

Please read the links that were posted... specifically this...

What IIFYM is not:

1) It is not eating cake and chips all day.
    2) It is not disregarding micronutrients and fiber and general intelligence with regards to food choice.
    3) It is not a specific macro setting. There is a website out there that has the IIFYM label that includes a calorie calculation tool and unfortunately several people on MFP believe that doing "IIFYM" means eating those specific macros. This is false. IIFYM is a philosophy about food selection and and how body composition changes are a function of nutrient intake and energy balance rather than a function of individual food sources.

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day .
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

yes, us IIFYMers like to somewhat show off our tasty foods we consume throughout the day, but we do in fact eat a lot of "healthy" lean proteins, and fiberous veggies as well. Junk food like ice cream, pop-tarts and cheese burgers are only a small fraction of the macros we consume on a given day and we save Macros for these tasty foods. Don't assume just cause you see one photo, that all "we" eat on a given day is junk food.
  • thekyleo
    Options

yes, us IIFYMers like to somewhat show off our tasty foods we consume throughout the day, but we do in fact eat a lot of "healthy" lean proteins, and fiberous veggies as well. Junk food like ice cream, pop-tarts and cheese burgers are only a small fraction of the macros we consume on a given day and we save Macros for these tasty foods. Don't assume just cause you see one photo, that all "we" eat on a given day is junk food.

Well that's all that that i see from IIFYMers, so my assumption is based on what i see
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Well that's all that that i see from IIFYMers, so my assumption is based on what i see

You and the childless chick who's getting throttled for creating the "Why do parents feed their kids trash?" topic because she saw some kids eating at McDonald's should get together. Seems you have a similar approach to being judgy.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options

You and the childless chick who's getting throttled for creating the "Why do parents feed their kids trash?" topic because she saw some kids eating at McDonald's should get together. Seems you have a similar approach to being judgy.

This is why MFP needs a 'like' button
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I suggest that you look at more than just the pictures and read what people are saying - it may help with context. And a couple of people posting pics =/= all IIFYMers in any event.
  • thekyleo
    Options

wat?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yes it works and it gives you so much freedom instead of restrictions of food.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I figured instead of starting a new thread, I would ask my question here regarding IIFYM (since it is a pretty active thread so far).

When reading about this way of living, I notice that most people have a very strict workout regiment. For me, I just haven't been able to make that possible. Certain weeks I work out 6 times and some weeks I will only work out 3. Not only that, but I haven't incorporated any lifting into my routines.

Would I actually be able to see any results with IIFYM if I am not lifting? (I am not opposed to lifting, I just haven't done it yet).
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I suggest that you look at more than just the pictures and read what people are saying - it may help with context. And a couple of people posting pics =/= all IIFYMers in any event.
    Yes! Is this becoming a post pics thread? Excellent. I'll start

trying vegemite in australia, awful but an experience
    very+tired+trying+somethingamite.jpg

all the proteins:
    IMG_20130626_180757.jpg
    IMG_20130707_144106.jpg
    Deanne+gave+me+a+necklace+and+earrings+for+the+wed.jpg

curry with strawberry spinach salad and a irish coffee
    IMG_20121213_191042.jpg
    and gone
    IMG_20121213_192717.jpg

fondant
    IMG_20121230_170545.jpg

pickled turnip shawarma stuffs
    IMG_20121230_174621.jpg

no soup for you soup
    DSCN0708-001.JPG

for stew:
    IMG_20130105_154817.jpg

for pretty:
    IMG_20130105_154342.jpg

snacks:
    IMG_20130530_222832.jpg
    IMG_20130210_170556.jpg
    Do+not+eat+the+forbidden+Cashew+or+smoke+it.jpg
    Hot+days+%253D+coconut+water.jpg

mutant strawberry
    IMG_20130123_104658.jpg

bat strawberry
    IMG_20130122_095316.jpg

And I came out looking like this
    74765_10153076111495607_1753695762_n.jpg

I know I know I'm dying and going to hell and getting cancer from fried stuff and irish coffee and bread and cake and stuff. How horribly delicious.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well said. :flowerforyou: