WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    jodios and everyone else -

Well, here's an update. I really didn't get to talk to Bryan much at all. I offered to help set up for the "reception", but Diana told me that she wanted it "to be a surprise for the guests". Huh? To me, family aren't "guests". But oh well.

She was a COMPLETELY different person than the person that I met 1-1/2 yrs ago. Last time we met she was very withdrawn, didn't say a word to me (or, really, anyone for that matter), introverted, shy. I wasn't sure if it was because she is unsure of the English language or what. Anyway, this time she was VERY bubbly, she was watching all the guests to see that they were having a good time. Completely different person. I to this day do not know why Bryan refused to let us talk to her before the wedding because I don't see anything to be ashamed of. She probably felt much more comfortable in her own element.

The ceremony was, in a word, different. It was at the courthouse, I had no idea what to expect. I don't know if Bryan did either.

After the ceremony, we went to this house (sort of like a beach house) where they had a pool and a large kitchen. The "reception" lasted from Friday night until Sunday night. To me, that's a little too much. But I guess that's the Spanish way. I noticed that even at 11:00 at night, there were still children there. We had to rent a car to get to the house. Thank goodness Jessica is old enough to rent a car and can drive a stick! When I say it was out in the country, I'm not kidding. Some of the roads you had to take, so twisting. A friend of Bryan's from high school (he works for Microsoft) was on vacation to London so he came over. Actually, he stayed at the same hotel as we did!

At the "reception" there must have been about 7 picnic tables all in a row. In a way, I wish they had seated us with English speaking people. You know how in the US we usually have round tables which facilites conversation? After the dinner we talked to some of the people and found that there were quite a few who spoke fairly decent English. We were seated at the end of a table next to some 20 or 30 somethings. Jessica was able to speak some Spanish since she works with Spanish people. Normally, I would have gone and said "hello" to people, but not one of her family came to me so I suspect that's not the way things are done in Spain. I honestly don't know. And given the way we were seated.....

I gave her mother a shawl and Diana a scarf (that wasn't her wedding gift). She said to me afterward that her father was abusive to her mother. I don't know if she meant physically or emotionally or what. Anyway, she said that her mother was very happy to get the shawl(according to Diana)

After the ceremony I asked Diana if she wanted the ring. She took it. Now I'm not sure if she took it to make me feel good because she said that Bryan mentioned it. What did he say? That I don't know. Her ring is this small blue stone but it's set in white gold. I just felt that it was nice to offer the ring, especially since it also is white gold. Honestly, it's just a band, not diamonds.

I tell you, it was VERY emotional for me. The first of my children to get married, my son, in a foreign country. To a girl that I wasn't allowed to get to know. It was just at the reception that I found out that she has two sisters (one wasn't there, don't know why)

Now for the bad news -- I tried to talk to Bryan and tell him how much I wanted to know what was going on in his life. Vince said he could see by Bryan's body language that he was getting upset. Why, oh why, did I have to ruin the last time I'll ever see my son? I'm convinced that it is.

We gave each a letter telling them that we'd pay for them to fly to the US as a wedding gift. It didn't seem that Bryan was happy at all. Diana seemed touched, but I'm not sure if it's that she was touched by what we gave her. I suspect it's that she was more touched by the fact that we had it translated into Spanish

After the "reception" Diana took the tablecloths off the tables and I helped her. She kept telling me that I didn't have to, but I insisted on helping. I also took a garbage bag by the drinks and put the empty bottles in it and refilled the bins with soda.

Now over there they cut the garter off the bride and every girl gets part of the garter. Then they cut a tie off the groom and every male gets a piece of the tie. I'm not totally sure what that represents, I guess I could look it up.

We had to "prod" Bryan to get this tie cutting and there was a dancing with the mother (me) done. We still had to drive back to the hotel. The original plan was that the girls would come back and spend the night at the house, but they came back to the hotel. I'm glad, because I don't know how Jessica would get back at that late an hour. I'd be worried. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost 2:00.

The next 2 days we were in Madrid then we flew to Switzerland to stay with a friend of mine from high school.

A month ago Vince had a blocked salivary gland. The MD gave him antibiotics and antiinflammatory. It went away. He went to the MD shortly before we left who felt and said he didn't feel a stone and gave Vince the OK to travel. Well, it happened in Swiitzerland, only this time his cheek blew up so much faster and even more. We went to the emergency room in Switzerland Mon but by Tues it wasn't getting any better. His cheek was so swollen that he could see it out of his right eye.

It appears that Switzerland does not give drugs as much as the US does. Vince just got antibiotics and pain killers. No anti-inflammatory. It seems there feeling is that if the antibiotics are working, then the swelling will go down. The hospital didn't have air conditioning. Fortunately, Vince speaks much more French than I do and he was able to "get by". I'd probably have been down the tubes. The night he was admitted to the hosp (Tues), I was so so hungry that I got something from the vending machine. It was a trip trying to figure out how to use it! We still don't have a bill to submit to our insurance company, they said they'd send it but we had to leave a $5,000 deposit. Thank goodness I had my two credit cards! I put it all on one of the credit cards that I rarely use. Vince got a copy of his medical records from the hosp. One line is in English, the next in French. Submitting this bill to insurance should be a trip and a half. Not only will we have to deal with the currency exchange, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in German which neither of us speaks. He does have an appt with our MD Tues (that was the first one I could get)

I guess if it had to happen anywhere, Switzerland was the best place to have it happen. Most hotels need to know exactly when you are checking out, but at Ronnie and Beat's we were able to stay a few extra days.

Ronnie was saying that she needed to be careful what she wished for. She wished we could stay longer and Vince wound up in the hospital so we did stay longer. She wished she didn't have to go to work Thurs and her car broke down. They have a diesel car and there is a gas filter that gets clogged. Three months ago they had it replaced. Beat was quite upset as this is the fourth time that they've had problems with that part. He looked at new cars and they have decided to get a Subaru.

The public transportation system, I must say, is quite good. However, she can't get to the schools where she teaches without a car so until their car is fixed, she'll take a bus and then a taxi. As a matter of fact, Vince came home from the ospital on the bus.

Even my French was getting a bit better. Vince was in the hosp for 4 days, Bryan called him 2 of those days. He did call me once (I had Vince's cell phone) but it was midnight and I figured Diana would be asleep. But then again, she may not have. Well, I told him to give her my love but I didn't ask to talk to her since it was so late.

We had TGV tickets to go to Paris and a hotel room. Well, the girls did go. I was glad. Jessica was able to get around (she'd done some international travel) and helped Denise. They went to the top of the Eiffel tower, the Bridge of Locks, Notre Dame and climbed the stairs at Notre Dame. <jk> I don't know if Paris will ever be the same after they've been there alone.....lol We had to get two more tickets on the TGV to Paris for Sat, went to the Hard Rock Cafe Paris (since the girls and I wanted to go there) and flew home Sun.

My sinuses were really acting up. I did have a bit of a problem with the air pressure on the plane, but not a lot

Jessica rented a car in Washington and drove down here. She's spending the night and has an interview at a vet school today. She's supposed to drive back to our house, probably do some laundry, then drive to Washington then to Maine to meet Kris' parents. I've made a fudge cake and some blueberry muffins for her to take. Actually, I bought some Swiss chocolate for the lady who took care of the cats since I was afaid that she might have to come the next day, too. But as it turns out she doesn't so I may give Jessica the chocolate to take to Kris' family. I've pigged out on enough of the Swiss chocolate.

When we got to Paris Jessica said "boy, Denise is one expensive gal". Seems she wanted to buy, buy, buy. That's one reason I'm hoping that she'll take us up on our offer to pay her college but she needs to be a full time student here. I have a strong suspicion she won't do it. But really, you can't get very far on just a high school diploma and that's all she and Pete have.

DeeDee - in looking at the weather, it appears that while we were gone, it rained quite a bit. In Switzerland they have these "slippers" that workers can slip on over their shoes so that they don't track mud in the house. I should have tried to buy a pair for when we work behind the equipment pad. This way I won't be tracking red clay on the concrete deck. But I didn't.........

I want to welcome everyone new.

I probably won't do any "formal" exercise today. Don't know what time Jessica is leaving, and, besides, my body's time clock is really messed up. You know, it took me longer to get adjusted to the time difference going from the US to Europe than from Europe to the US.

The next thing we have on the adjenda is a Newcomer social on Aug. 24. Hope it stops raining by then.....lol

Just ask anything that I may have left out.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katla:smile: Sending you prayers, I`m sure you`ll handle the situation with grace and wisdom:flowerforyou: !

Rori:smile: Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: ! I love guacamole too:love: , have fun in Mexico!

Heather:smile: I`m hoping your DH will feel better once the funeral is over:flowerforyou: , I agree with what Katla said!

Michele:smile: Hi!!! Glad you`re all home safe and sound:flowerforyou: ! Yes, it`s rained a lot, I think we only had a couple of days with no rain! This has not been a pretty summer so far:frown: ! The wedding sounds interesting! Last time I was in Spain, we were in Barcelona, things just get going around 10pm, dinner was usually around 10:30 or 11:00pm. The late nights you had doesn`t surprise me at all! Get some rest today!!!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes for my ankle. I find it just strange that I ran around for 2 days playing with the girls and didn`t get hurt:huh: , and then after they`re gone I slip on a step:grumble: :angry: . It was actually swollen yesterday and is still swollen a little this morning. I still got a 40 minute walk in yesterday, although a lot slower than usual, Noel still has to be walked regardless of how I`m feeling:ohwell: . I`m taking it easy this week and hanging out at home for the most part:bigsmile: . My youngest granddaughter informed me while she was here, she wanted to come to my house to eat this week, she doesn`t care that I`m not a good cook:laugh::love: . She told me she wanted macaroni and cheese, green beans and corn on the cob, so they`re all coming over on Thursday, along with her choices I`m going to roast a chicken and have a big salad. I`m going the Farmers market to pick up all the good fresh veggies, it will be the first time this summer for me. I just wonder what happen to my summer, with all the rain we`ve had I feel like I`ve missed the best part:cry:.

Need to get myself put together and ice my ankle again before I get started on another day. Have a wonderful Monday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy dreary NC:frown:
  • srbridge
    srbridge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    your garden is just beautiful :)
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump for later -- and a shout out to Michele. Glad you are back here and on your home turf!
    Gail,metro ATL
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

I'm back. My son's wedding is over and the brides' parents go home today. Now to concentrate on me.

I've been dealing with "trigger finger" in my right hand. If this doesn't get better before our bowling season starts in August I guess bowling league will be history for me. I got a cortisone shot in it last week and it is some better but I still don't think I can lift my ball. One of the ladies is having a bowling party this week for her 89th BD. I'm going and see if I can even throw a ball. I had lent her my lighter ball which she has been using for a couple of years but I just might have to ask for it back. Of course Eric would be happy if I would give it up all together.

We have ordered some books on anti-inflammatory diet. Hopefully that will help and getting my extra poundage off would certainly help.

My daughter got back late last night from a medical missions trip to Nicaragua. She will be here for dinner tonight so I am looking forward to hearing about her trip. She was looking forward to a hot shower since there was no hot water to use over there.

Must let the dogs out and then get some exercise in.

Cindy
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone - and welcome back to all our world-travelers!

I had a yummy but rough diet weekend, so this week it's salads and proteins. No more messing around.

However, yesterday I did a "double" workout to make up for skipping Saturday. I managed to do four pull-ups/chin-ups without any assistance, and many more with the assistance band. My arms are feeling.it this morning - I have bulgy biceps :laugh:. Between pushing the stretches on yoga, pushing the lunges yesterday, and doing those pull-ups I've really managed to make my muscles squeak. It feels great.

I didn't want to work out this morning, but I just did anyway. Might as well begin as you mean to go, right? Workout, healthy breakfast, right foods in the house.

Talk to you all later this week.

Cheers,

M.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Well wishes to all just wanted to say nice to have you back Michele :smile:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,817 Member
    Options
    well here I sit, all dressed and ready for work.. and guess what? still no electricity at work.. what up with that?
    I will get paid:bigsmile: but don't know if I should get out of my scrubs or not...
    Michelle- glad you and Vince are home on tera firma..hope Vince is healing well.
    I have 9500 steps so far on my pedometer and it isn't yet 10 am
    walked early this morning and have been out watering grass seed, took the pups for a walk and now ,back waiting to see what happens. CL and P says they will be there to turn the power on between 8-4.. wonderful timeline for a buisness huh?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Good morning; happy Monday everyone. I've been MIA for a few days. I've skimmed the posts but am sure I missed tons.

Michele, I'm so sorry about your husband's medical emergency and that your son was less than enthusiastic, but it sounds like there may be hope with your daughter-in-law. I think with time he will come around. I'm just guessing here, but it is possible he was holding back to prevent a full-fledged blow-up that would ruin the wedding for his bride. He knows that deep down you guys don't approve and that you want him back in the states. Perhaps he thought that the more uptight he was, the more you guys would be on your "best behavior." If he relaxed and seemed more open, you might be more apt to bring it up again. I don't know. Just a thought.

Heather, congrats on being "normal." Alas, my own goal is to be "overweight."

Also congrats to Joyce (I think) that is moving in the right direction this week. I so want to be under 200 lbs but am just not getting there. I'm beginning to wonder if I need an anti-depressant. I'm going to research the difference between chemical and situational (why does spell check not think this is a word. Did I make it up?) depression to see if I qualify. I have just had a huge case of the blahs lately and honestly, I don't think there is a reason I should be feeling this way. I just hate to go there. I worry that the side effects are worse than the cure. Maybe my weekend get-away with my mother, sister, cousin, aunt and niece will rejuvenate me. But right now, it is stressing me out because I always feel like my house has to be perfect when my sister comes to town. I am supposed to be the organized one. Her son jokes that I have organizers for my organizers. For some reason, I take this as a compliment and feel like I have to live up to my reputation!

I did get the laundry room/pantry organized. I took before pictures and am going to take after pictures before it gets un-done. I took two huge boxes to the battered women's thrift store and had two big black trash bags full of discards. I actually have a few places (cabinets and plastic bins) that are empty. I need to tackle the garage as well, but that will have to wait until cooler weather.

Now if I had my home office organized, papers filed, etc. I am going to take all of the stuff I brought home for the summer back to my office at school today so that I will have room to work. Tomorrow my daughter wants me to come and help her set up her classroom. She is freaking out because she's never taught 2nd grade before and this will be her first full-time teaching job since my DGS was born in 2009. I really need to say no to her, but I can't.

Well, it might help if I got off the computer and got to work.
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ok, to all you morning ladies...what are you thinking :laugh: I decided that with all the heat that I will try and go for my walk before work. I got up at 5:45 am...really there are people up at that hour? My DD came with me and off we went, hit the road just before 6 am. The temp was awesome. Came home, showered had breakfast (I've had to train myself to eat breakfast) and off to work. Now I'm ready for a nap :laugh: It's going to take some getting used to but I think I can do it. It will be an early night for me though.

My DD is handing down all her clothes that are now to big to me. this morning she gave me a workout top so I thought hmmm I wonder if I can fit in it. I tried it on and yup I can, it's snug but I could still wear it for working out. When I started this weight loss journey in Jan 2013 I was wearing a 4x or 5 x and the shirt she gave me is a 1x. yahoooo

The weekend was a quiet one, my DS was away with his gf so my DD & I just puttered around the apartment and got the meals planned/grocery shopping done. Even went to Costco.

Amanda – take care of yourself and don’t overdo it. Congratulations on the new expected arrival. I pray all goes well and you have a beautiful bouncing baby grandchild :flowerforyou:

Kate in Brooklyn – it’s ok to be a lurker but we would much rather hear about you & what’s going on with you, sharing your achievements and yes your frustrations too.

Meg – Good for you, using so much self control. I just love everything on the bbq. I did my veggies on the bbq last night with the chicken. soooo good.

Pat – glad to hear you are back in your own home again, there is no place like home. I promise to try and get a better picture and I’ll even smile (I hate having my pic taken but just for you) :laugh:

Vicki – I think the heat just about did me in; I couldn’t get much done exercise or food wise. I didn’t eat that well & I certainly didn’t get as much exercise.

Heather – thanks. I have a lot to lose. I’m sure when I get closer to my goal I will be struggling for those ounces too. Congratulations on being “normal” lol That’s awesome!!!!! Doing a happy dance for you. I hope that all goes well at the funeral today.

Critter Sue – glad to hear about the chest x-ray. I hope the gastro dr will be able to help you. I think it’s perfectly normal to feel that we will die the same age as our parents. Just remember that you are taking care of yourself and are going to live a long and happy life with your critters :heart:

Katla – happy belated bday. Sounds like you had a good one

Jane – congratulations!

Grandmallie – yay for cleaning out the closets, it’s a great feeling (we really need a happy dance icon) I believe that you will be in that size 10 bathing suit by your trip to FL.

Jane – I absolutely love the happy dance pic’s . you should send it to one of the mods and get them to create a happy dance icon for us lol

Welcome Laura – it’s a great bunch of ladies, come back often and post as much as you’d like.

Michelle – sorry to hear that Bryan wasn’t open to a visit to the US. Give him some time, he will come around and realize that he needs his family. It’s one of the hardest things we have to do as parents…nothing

Ok, back to work before I fall asleep at my desk. It's a quiet day (boss is out today) so extra steps for me today :wink:

Have a great day everyone!

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone in MFP land. It's a happy Monday for me because I am having a Monday off. I feel very degenerate lazing around with a third cup of coffee and doing nothing but reading the posts.

Jane - how lovely to renew your vows and happy anniversary.

Kate aka Rhubarbie, I love rhubarb and just noticed that my patch seems to be spreading as well. Hmmm, after your cautionary tale, I'm not sure I want to tackle the monster though.

Michele - glad to see you are back safe and sound. Sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped, but it sounds like it went better than it might have. Sorry you had the Vince scare and hope everything is back to normal now. I had a hard time imagining you not cooking and how did you manage your high exercise levels when you were away?

Amanda - congratulations lucky lady and best wishes for the mom to be. Take care of yourself in your recovery.

Spent Sunday beating the yard back into shape. Everything is so dried out and the lawn actually hurts my feet if I walk barefoot. It's been mid thirties (+90F) for a couple of weeks and the 5 day forecast says the same for this whole week.

2 weeks to go and my DD1 will be here for a couple of weeks before she moves to Toronto. I think we'll spend a lot of time up at the lakes and taking the dogs swimming. My poor car will probably be a mess at the end of it (3 dogs in the back hatch).

I have been struggling these last couple of weeks. I feel like an empty pit and want to snack like crazy. So far I've kept the munchie demons at bay but I really need to get this under control before I do a major slip and put some pounds back on. So far I'm just wavering a pound or two up and down but the desire to snack is worrisome.

Time to go and get showered and ready for the day.
    TTFN and talk to you later.

Lila in the Kootenays
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Mon.Thanks for all the anniversary wishes.
    Another hot and humid day,suppose to cool down in the am.
    Welcome any newbies.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Welcome home! I hope that Vince is doing better. :flowerforyou: Your descriptions of the wedding were wonderful and gave me hope that your son has made a good choice. Give him time on his vow to never return home. He may very well change his point of view as he matures. I wouldn’t expect too much too soon, though. :noway: It will take time and life experience to help him adjust his attitude.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Your summer weather sounds so disappointing. Maybe you’ll be blessed with a pretty fall. I hope so. I also hope that your ankle heals quickly. ACE is my first course of action-Aspirin + Cold (ice) + Elevation. Then I switch the Elevation for light Exercise. DH favors wrapping, but I just favor light exercise after the initial swelling eases a bit. Light as in gently walking indoors, followed by gentle walking outdoors- I’d suggest mall walking due to your rainy weather, but the floors are always concrete and that is not a gentle surface.:flowerforyou:

Cindy: I have trigger finger from knitting/crocheting. DH’s physical therapist gave me a rubber band that is slightly bigger than the diameter of my wrist. She told me to slide it down to the ends of my fingers and open my hand to stretch it as a way to make the muscles on the tops of my fingers stronger. It has been very helpful. The joint is not causing me pain, and if it sticks, I can open it with my newly strong hand muscles. I don’t know whether this would help you enough to bowl, but it is very cheap therapy and might make a difference.

M: “I didn't want to work out this morning, but I just did anyway. Might as well begin as you mean to go, right? Workout, healthy breakfast, right foods in the house.” Brilliant!

Dr Katie: Good luck with your research on depression. I was given an antidepressant after my mom died that is used for depression and mild ADD. I’m still taking it, and it has been more than 15 years. I value it for its ability to help me stay focused. I am not sad, but suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder until I started using this, as well as the tendency to get lost in my own thoughts. I would think the answer to a question but not say it aloud. Drove DH crazy. I still do this on occasion, but rarely.

Sandy in ONT: I agree with your advice to Michele. Time is a great enhancer.

Looking over my posts to everyone, I realize that I may be an advice-a-holic. :embarassed: Let me know if I need to go cold turkey. :laugh: We’re on the schedule to have our Direct TV installed this afternoon. I hope it actually happens, and that we end up liking it. I liked it before and hope the service hasn’t gone down hill.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

July goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,368 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Back from the funeral and I think it has been a bit of a closure for DH as some of you said. It was of course sad as the lady was a really strong and much loved character, but at least he got over his fear of seeing his dead partner's family again and everyone was very nice once the ceremony was over and we were all relaxed.. I felt welcome though I've only met them once before. It was HOT at the crematorium, in the 90s, but the venue had a/c which was a blessing. I didn't eat too much, though I did have two small glasses of white wine. Will have to watch the calories tonight. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon I think. I don't feel like cooking.

Michele - glad to have you back. In my opinion the Spanish are all a bit mad with their incredibly late eating hours. I swear when we are in a town they all play chicken to see who can actually sit down for dinner the latest!:laugh: Whole families eating out at gone midnight! It takes us a few days to get used to it when we are there, but I rarely manage to last beyond 9.30 or 10. I guess I am chicken!:laugh: I wonder how I will cope with the jet lag when I cross the pond next year. I have been across the world before, but always for more than a month at a time. I will only be in NYC for 4 or 5 days. Have plenty of rest and don't feel guilty if you are not rushing about straight away.

Some of you seem to have such large closets and so many clothes. I think I am a bit of a minimalist and if I don't absolutely need it or love it I throw it out. When I met DH he had about five times as many clothes as me and was quite offended when I suggested he didn't need all of them. I have so few clothes, especially now, that when I go on holiday and have packed stuff I have nothing to wear!:laugh: I am waiting for the autumn now to buy stuff and I will really NEED it as the cupboard is bare. :bigsmile: :huh:

Oh yes, Kate and the rhubarb.. I love rhubarb and we have a very small patch. A couple of years ago we had a huge glut of runner beans and could find no one to take them as everyone was in the same boat. I loved the idea of you being the neighbourhood pariah, along with the zucchini lady! ! ! It reminded me of the armfuls of beans we were picking twice a day and could not give away. This year we have planted a lot fewer, but because of the extremely hot weather none of the flowers are setting and it looks like we will have hardly any. The joys of gardening!:cry::grumble: :tongue:

I think I will send DH out with the watering cans tonight. He doesn't put as much water on as me, so I prefer to do it myself, but I feel bushed. Being sociable and smiling a lot always take it out of me. Plus the heat.

Last yoga for the semester tomorrow. We always go to the pub afterwards for a coffee or tea and some stay for a bite of lunch. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I so miss my yoga ladies in the holidays. We have a lovely gossip every Tuesday! :love:

Bye for now my friends, Heather in Hampshire UK
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody! Missed you last week! Life was a little hectic... I didn't get a moment to keep up with all the posts but I'll get there before the end of the week. SO broke his toe on the coffee table then bruised his knee pretty badly working so he has needed a little TLC! You know....can you get my medicine...can you get me something to drink...can you fix an ice pack.......:grumble: I did make time to take myself to the gym for some great workouts and time alone.:bigsmile: All said and done I haven't lost my mind; I have killed anybody; and I'm feeling pretty good!
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hello from small town, Pacific Northwest, where it is cloudy/foggy and cool! I stayed up too late last night, slept in, and now am sipping my tea and catching up electronically! I’ve totally changed from a wee-hours early bird to a slackard ;-) Little more reading, then out for yardwork.

Jodios – good for your tough DD, now enjoy that vacation!

Terri – okay, 98 now, really, another OMG! Glad you found ways to keep moving and not melt.

Rori – enjoy Mexico, hope you’re feeling better! I love that food – my excuse, I’m half Mexican ;-b

Michele – so happy that you’re back home. I agree with someone else here who said to give him/them some time. It’s so hard, I know. DH & I had a very hard time when his DD #3 started dating and then married a very good looking but useless person. We kept our thoughts to ourselves and maintained the connections, letting her contact us when she wanted. With time she matured and he didn’t. She’s now remarried to a wonderful person, has 2 boys, reconnected to family. ONLY meaning to say to give Bryan and Diana some time. It’s so hard to do nothing, I know.

DeeDee - good for you taking care of the ankle and slowing down the walk, hope the weather turns around soon!

Cindy – good luck with the trigger finger! How wonderful that your daughter’s returned from Nicaragua, yea! Enjoy the dinner,

M – good for you with that double! I cannot wait until I am limber enough to do yoga, sigh

Grandmallie – I hope you have a good book to read

drkatie – amazing what spell-check tries to do to us, isn’t it? I understand your blahs, I fight that constantly. I do a balancing act between a med for essential tremor and the associated side effect of depression. Keeping up through & for this site has helped, but remember that chemistry controls us. The old “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” doesn’t really work if you’re low enough. I feel exactly the same when family comes, my house is a wreck right now as I reorganize but my father and his wife will be here early August – eek!

Sandy – from a 4x/5x to 1x, woo hoo, look at you! And once you adjust to the earlier hours you’ll be surprised how easy it gets.

Lila – how lovely that you can sit back and relax. It must be wonderful anticipating the time with DD1. As far as that empty pit feeling, is there anything borderline healthy that might diminish it and satisfy you enough to avoid a major cheat?

Katla – As requested, prayers for grace broaching that awkward situation DD & DSIL find themselves in. Fingers crossed for your DirecTV. I like that exercise you use for your trigger finger – I may try it out.

Heather – so good that DH has that closure now, it must be such a relief. You both must be wiped out from the emotional situation as well as the heat. Take it easy~
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies!

I am being a lazy girl today. I am still catching up on my sleep, so I didn't even get out of bed until after most of you were already done walking, running, stepping, dancing, gardening and exercising. Oh, I love being retired!

Yesterday, or maybe the day before, there was a discussion about buying new undies. I need to go and buy new bras. I swear, if I lose anymore weight in that area, I am going to have to buy training bras! I really never had much there to start with, and now I have almost nothing!

Janie- I live in Green Valley which is a little south of Tucson. It is a lovely area filled with lots of opportunities of retired people.

Michelle- I am glad you are home and that the wedding & Vince's hospital stay are behind you. It is going to be a challenge dealing with the insurance companies, but it will get straightened out, eventually.
    About those little slippers the workers wear, check with Home Depot. I have had workers come into my home in MN and put them on before tracking across the floor, so they must be available here, too.

KatieBug- I am with you. I would love to just be overweight instead of obese:frown: or morbidly obese:huh: .

Sandy- Congratulations on the 1X shirt!:flowerforyou: Don't you just love little rewards like that! I will be looking for that new picture, and thank you for indulging me!

Today I am going to spend cleaning, I need to do some heavy scrubbing in the kitchen. The water here is full of minerals that stain the sinks, coffee pots and, even, the silverware. Time to get at it! Hopefully, when I am done with my chores, I can still get up to the pool before the afternoon rains hit.

Have a great day, Everyone!
    Pat
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies –

Trying to catch up on all of the posts after missing a few days. Have been on target with my eating and exercise and for the most part have met my goals for July, but the scale didn’t move as much as I would have liked it to. As we are nearing August, I plan to keep the same goals.

Steps: 14000, Cardio 60 Minutes each day; Log all Food

Didn’t do too much this past weekend, but that isn’t a bad thing. My garden is producing a bunker crop of zucchini, so I am trying to find recipes so they don’t go to waste.

Be well, stay cool.

Suzy
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the Y :cry: This was the first time in about 2 weeks. The first week I was in so much pain from my irritated nerves in my neck. I'm not sure what the excuse is for last week. A lot of it was the heat. Not sure if it was my MS, no Y for two weeks or a combination of both. I usually ride 6 miles and I was pushing it to get in 3 miles. Some one was on 'my' bike :noway: So I tired one of the other machines. I don't know if it an eliptical or not but instead of standing, you sit, But the foot pedals are the same. It's been a long time since I have worked my arms out so I tired very quickly. Plus I couldn't figure out the controls so I never found out my distance, calories, anything. But I burned about 160 calories.

Thanks for giving us an update on the wedding Michelle. :flowerforyou: I'm sure you will be doing a lot of reminiscing about it for a long time. I hope eventually you only remember the good things.

I decided to change the settings on my food diary and track my fiber. I have no idea what I should be getting.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Crittersue, my husband felt just like you do……when he reached the age that his father died, he expected that year to be his last….he dealt with it by staying in the moment and continuing to express his gratitude daily……now, ten years later, he continues with those healthy practices.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, if my neighborhood allowed it, I would have many more cats.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, congrats on the new clothes…..I still mourn some of the too big clothes I got rid of in 2009.

:flowerforyou: Kate in Brooklyn, my binging stopped when I started planning my food ahead of time and sticking to the plan and when I banned certain foods from my house.

:flowerforyou: Katla, enjoy your time in Seattle.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I hope the ice helped and that you’re walking better today……Noel will keep you moving no matter what.

:flowerforyou: DebA. There are never good outcomes when you to into a fast food restaurant

:flowerforyou: Connie, I have cut way back on my computer time, too.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, congrats on getting rid of the too big clothes…..you will keep the weight off if you continue to be mindful one day at a time...don't let anyone tell you otherwise

:flowerforyou: Jane, you are the champ with graphics….I tend to find a few favorites and stick with them.

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif[/

1140350y6xzy9bjr7.gif

:flowerforyou: Kate in Alberta, I read your rhubarb rastling story to my hubby and he howled with laughter. He said to tell you that he thinks you’re a great writer.

:flowerforyou: Michele, thanks for the great narrative of your trip…..I am exhausted just from reading it…..you’ll need a few days to recover.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, It’s good to see you again.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I gradually went to bed earlier each night to help me get up earlier. It took time, but it was so worth it. It takes discipline and planning to shut off the computer and maybe even leave a few things undone to go to bed at the planned time….congrats to you for starting the process..

:flowerforyou: I went for a walk with a friend today but after about 40 minutes she was ready to sit in her garden and continue our conversation. I forget how much stamina I have for walking. We walked during the time I would normally be working in the yard so I got nothing done today. Roads are being paved in my neighborhood today so I’ll to our for a walk by myself to check out the progress.

:heart: Barbie from warm and sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

July Resolutions (with week three comments)
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (making great progress)
    *continue with the squat challenge (continuing with the harder challenge)
    * a plank a day (every day)
    *18,000 steps a day (every day

33,000 one day)
    *don’t take things personally ( wow, is this a great resolution)
    *don’t expect praise or recognition (this is also a great way to live)
    *keep doing the things that have been working (going great)