Crying today..... Advice needed. So sad!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I think we will have our precious fur baby put to sleep within the next few days. She is barely eating and sleeps constantly. I took a bunch of pictures with her and the kids. We are keeping her as comfortable as possible and saying our dreaded goodbyes. My husband took her for a ride in the car yesterday and she LOVED it...riding along with her head out of the window enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

This is just so hard. Thanks again everyone for your kind words. I changed my profile pic to that of my beloved Recchi (she was named after a Flyers hockey player from long ago) and my 3 year old son, Dylan.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Be careful giving advice if you live in New Jersey. The AG might have charge you with practicing medicine without a license. :bigsmile:

My step-mother had 3 ****z Zus. One remains. Ironically, it is the one who had a form of dog cancer when he was younger.
    No children at home.

From a pet loss standpoint, our first dog was taken rather suddenly by a town dump truck. The second was put out of his misery suffering kidney failure.
    Since then I don't get attached to pets. We have dogs now and I'm sure my kids would not take hearing one of them is sick very well.
    But one of the lessons children inevitably learn from pets is learning to deal with loss. Seems heartless in the middle of it.
    Maybe getting a new puppy while you dog is still with you will help your child. Even my 17 year old son goes nuts over puppies.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. Animals don't ask for much, but they give us all they have. They're wonderful.

It is tough situation, as anyone who has been through it can attest to.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Sorry your dog and your family are hurting.

I am going to second what Mirey said. Look at the quality of life the dog will have for a few extra months. If it is in pain and is still going to suffer the hardest but kindest thing you could ever do is let it god.

I know that sounds really cold but I had to put 2 of mine down a year apart and it is the hardest and most heart breaking thing to do but also the kindest.

I wish you all the best in whatever choice you make.

I agree with this also. It is very, very hard but this will be your final act of love for your dog. I also had to put my 15-year-old cat down last year after she suffered renal failure. If there is no chance of survival and the quality of life suffers, it won't be fair to your pet. Many hugs to you.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So sorry, my family lost 2 of our springer spaniels to cancer (mother and daughter), was heart breaking especially as I had known the daughter since before she was born.
    You are doing the right thing in giving her a great last few days and enjoying this time with her. :flowerforyou:
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you and your family. I am crying thinking of the pain you all are feeling..my advice is whats best for your pup.
  • jessgrayson25
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our first dog in October 2010, he was only three, and the grief still affects us to this day. People who are not dog owners might not understand the total love and adoration we feel for them.

Remember you have had twelve wonderful years with her, she has been loved, and you have her best interests at heart.

All the best.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. My heart is just breaking for you. I went through this same thing with my cat last summer. I went away on vacation and when I came back my baby girl was refusing to eat. Two weeks later I had to put her down with lymphoma. It just all happened so fast. It was the hardest decision of my life, but in the end it was better for her. Best wishes for you and your family.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. The death of a pet can be heartbreaking, and the agnoy of trying to determine the appropriate care can be stressful. Do what you and your family feels right. If you feel that chemo is right then do it. Don't do it because your friend is giving you a guilt trip. Go with your heart and give as much love as you possibly can, snuggles, puppy kisses, and puppy treats to your dog.

I don't know if it will help but I have had some health scares with my dog. She is only 3, but has a bad heart murmur. The tests alone were a thousand dollars and the possible treatment options were extremely expensive. I am able to support myself, live comfortably, and care for my dog, but paying thousands of dollars on a test and treatment for my dog was and will never be an option. I however continue to get her check-ups and love her as much as possible. She is happy and enjoys life. Every day with her is a blessing. She is my best friend who understands me and always licks my tears without question. Cherish that while you can. You have many years and memories with your puppy, try to make as many more that you can!
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I almost started crying reading this. I'm so sorry for you and your family.
    In the past year my parents had to put down two dogs that I grew up with. The boxer was 15 years old and no one told me he was gone! I went home for my birthday and was like "where's Hooch?" and everyone just stared at me! Then my mom said after a couple seconds of awkward silence that they had to put him down because he started to puke blood and found out too late that he had an upper GI bleed. :cry:
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Dogs tend to have much less negative side effects from chemo compared to people. If she was otherwise healthy prior to the cancer diagnosis, chemo could buy her 6-12 months of good quality life. Not all dogs respond the same however and if she had any major medical issues prior to the cancer diagnosis chemo may not be the best option. In the meantime spoil her rotten and cherish every day with her!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    If you decide against chemo, you may want to talk to your vet about a course of steroids. In some dogs that can shrink the lymph nodes and make them feel better though the response is short lived ( a month or so)
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    First of all, your "friend" putting you through that UNNECESSARY guilt is the last thing you need at this moment ... seriously, she needs to rethink what she just said at the very least. That is just added pain you do not need and it is unfounded. One thing that might help your daughter if you do decide to euthanize is the book by Fred (Mr.) Rogers, "When a Pet Dies." This should help her understand and hopefully help both of you to heal.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    oh i'm so sorry ! i had four dogs put down. it broke my heart. they were taken away from their former owns for theuy weren't taken care of the poor things . they never took them out to go to the bathroom so when they went in the house they would beat them. when i put my last love down i cried for days as will as my son , dylan, did also. we now have two cats went to the pound to get them they cost us 150$ each but they were worth it. i would reather have dogs but it wouldn't be fair to them for i really don't have the time or money ( spent 100000 on vets bills alone!! ) some day i hope to get another dog to love . oh i do love my cats too.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Waiting for the vet to call me back to get something to make Recchi more comfortable at this point. My heart is breaking for my sweet girl.