Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I am always fascinated with the 'humans were not designed to' notion.

I figure that those who support this believe that humans were put on this earth in one particular form and have not changed one iota since that time.

Makes me wonder how they deal with history and science and all sorts of other things.

I prefer to believe that man is imaginative and adaptable.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Humans are not designed to drink cows milk, I totally agree. Thats how I don't understand why everyone freaks out saying, "I'm lactose intolerant!" Well duh, everyone is because we're not meant to have milk past childhood. Our bodies aren't designed for it.

And then there is science . . . but that's all confusing and stuff in MFP land
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that a cow is someone's cow, not "someone's" mother, because that would make a calf "someone." Calves are not "someone," they are someone's animals.

And someone's steak
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, and humans are not designed to drink alcohol either, or ate chocolate, or breath smoke, or ate fish and other sea creatures what lives deep into Atlantic ocean and are available to us only due to technology to reach them. We are not designed to stare at screen with moving pictures or to have a sexual intercourse in *kitten*, or drive cars, or to wear glasses...

If milk is bad for your health then good for you, not drink it. But, "Humans are not designed to...", that's a silly argument.

bVEdS_zpsf2c97d47.gif
  • NataliaLueck
    NataliaLueck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ALL of your farting? i drink almond milk but i still fart yo...what's up with that? :huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Animals will consume whatever food source is most readily available to them. Humans have the unique priviledge and honor of posessing the intellectual capacity to garner food from any source that they choose. We are ate the top of the food chain for a reason. That does not mean that there is a food that we are biologically designed not to eat.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Going off the basis that we were not designed to consume milk you would also have to consider that based off of heritage/lineage you were not designed to consume many other foods because in that region many centuries ago it was not available or was consumed far less because it was extremely difficult to procure.

You cannot forsake one food without forsaking almost all food.

Stick to hunting for meat and found fruits and vegetables and tell me how that works for ya, I would bet you'd have a less balanced nutrition than what we can do with modern ways of eating. I will continue to drink and eat my dairy products regardless of my intolerance to it because it is good for me and is a great source of nutrition.

Edit: Forgot to add that we do over time we will have better tolerance to all different kinds of things hence why some animals in nature completely change to adapt to their enviroment. We are technically animals no matter what is said about it.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In what way are humans "designed" to drink almond milk?

Humans have been eating almonds for billions of years

LOL billions? We were cyanobacteria billions of years ago.

EDIT: I like cow's milk. 10g protein per cup. MOOOO!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Alan Agaron on milk.......

"Argument #2: Milk (or cow babyfood) has a different composition compared to human milk. Different nutirents for different species.

Hypocrisy versus individual tolerance. I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. Folks who carry the torch against milk consumption typically will have some degree of allergy or digestive intolerance to it, and they take the liberty to project their personal problems onto the world around them. Many of these same “health-minded” people consume whey protein by the tubload –and this is not only a milk product, but an engineered refined milk product to boot. I suggest you raise a salute to cow’s teats the next time you flex your muscles, and let the rest of us enjoy our milk in peace."

"Do Hormones Make Milk Unhealthy?

Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer.

Unlike steroid hormones, which can be taken orally, rBGH and IGF must be injected to have any effect. That's because the process of digestion destroys these "protein" hormones. So drinking milk from hormone-treated cows doesn't transfer the active form of these chemicals to your body. However, there is one ethical downside to consider: It's not good for the cows. Canadian researchers discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis."

http://www.simplyshredded.com/qa-with-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-milk.html

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/dairy_products/printer.php
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

=(

I am guessing you all have never even stepped on a dairy farm if you think this is even true.

^^This is the correct reply.

Holy *kitten* we agree on something..

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Humans were not designed, period.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Going off the basis that we were not designed to consume milk you would also have to consider that based off of heritage/lineage you were not designed to consume many other foods because in that region many centuries ago it was not available or was consumed far less because it was extremely difficult to procure.

You cannot forsake one food without forsaking almost all food.

Stick to hunting for meat and found fruits and vegetables and tell me how that works for ya, I would bet you'd have a less balanced nutrition than what we can do with modern ways of eating. I will continue to drink and eat my dairy products regardless of my intolerance to it because it is good for me and is a great source of nutrition.

In that vein, you also need to keep in mind that given geographic isolation (no airplanes, boats, trains, whatever) you'd also be limited to what was locally available in your area.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Alan Agaron on milk.......

"Argument #2: Milk (or cow babyfood) has a different composition compared to human milk. Different nutirents for different species.

Hypocrisy versus individual tolerance. I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. Folks who carry the torch against milk consumption typically will have some degree of allergy or digestive intolerance to it, and they take the liberty to project their personal problems onto the world around them. Many of these same “health-minded” people consume whey protein by the tubload –and this is not only a milk product, but an engineered refined milk product to boot. I suggest you raise a salute to cow’s teats the next time you flex your muscles, and let the rest of us enjoy our milk in peace."

"Do Hormones Make Milk Unhealthy?

Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer.

Unlike steroid hormones, which can be taken orally, rBGH and IGF must be injected to have any effect. That's because the process of digestion destroys these "protein" hormones. So drinking milk from hormone-treated cows doesn't transfer the active form of these chemicals to your body. However, there is one ethical downside to consider: It's not good for the cows. Canadian researchers discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis."

http://www.simplyshredded.com/qa-with-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-milk.html

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/dairy_products/printer.php

Alan is the man!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The genetic mutation that allows for lactase production throughout life in some indicates that yes, in fact, you ARE designed to drink cows milk if you have that mutation, considering that dairy farming is what brought about the mutation and its persistance.

By the logic of the "we aren't designed to drink cows milk" hooplah, if you in fact are one of the people blessed with lactase production in adulthood, you absolutely SHOULD drink cows milk as you know for a fact that your ancestors specifically evolved to drink cows milk; it is the one food product that you are absolutely certain that you are in fact designed to consume, as there is no other reason for lactase production to persist into adulthood.

I am a lucky mutant, whole milk, cheese, ice cream... :D
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Humans are not designed to drink cows milk, I totally agree. Thats how I don't understand why everyone freaks out saying, "I'm lactose intolerant!" Well duh, everyone is because we're not meant to have milk past childhood. Our bodies aren't designed for it.

No, not everyone is lactose intolerant. There are many of us who carry a mutation that allows us to continue drinking milk past infancy. Look it up. I am not lactose intolerant.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

So true. I enjoy soy milk.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    not-a-milk-machine.jpg

and she is damn tasty! Medium rare please!

^^AMEN!!! Mmmm...now I want medium rare steak...

While almond milk is ok (I prefer it to be the dark chocolate kind and I'm not a fan of vanilla flavored milk), I cannot stand soy milk or rice milk and can't have coconut milk.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In some cultures dairy was a major part of people's diets for centuries.

Eastern and Northern Europe, for example. There is sour cream, butter, yogurts, cheeses, buttermilks, keffir and other variations of dairy in almost every dish.
    And no one is "lactose intolerant".
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Humans were not designed, period.

Can I get an Amen!!!

No.

Oh.
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've tried a number of the different 'milks' out there and while I like them, I find them awfully sweet, so I'm going to stick to my cow's milk, thank you very much.

Though I'm pretty certain that years of generations drinking cow's milk has made it okay for us to have it.

So why is there still lactose intolerance among our society? All humans are lactose intolerant, just some people are more "intolerant" then others. I'm sorry, but i'm not drinking a steroid & hormone laced milk that makes a calf grow to 900lbs in a few months.

THIS!

Samies!! sticking with Almond milk!! I love it, and I have found some ice cream that is Dairy Free Yum!