Any success stories using the TDEE-20% (15%) method?

Options

Replies

• cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread. I'm eating at the recommended MFP levels and have been doing great so far (lost 16 prior to starting MFP). I am getting to a point where I'll probably stall, as I'm very close to goal. Will probably give the TDEE-15 or 20% a go.

Opening a can of worms here, but do most of you on this plan stick to your macros? I'm having a heck of a time with that!

I've just started paying attention to macros and it's kind of frustrating. On top of that, I'm realizing that with eating more I'm consuming WAY too much sugar! Any one else have a problem reigning in sugar totals while eating more??
    Im so picky with food. Yes I go over with sugar and carbs almost every day but not by huge amounts. Im eating much better than I ever have in my life which still is not perfect but Im not going to beat myself up about it. Some days Im under. Just do the best that you can. This week I have been over almost everyday so far.
  • justinegrey
    justinegrey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've had much success with TDEE-20%. I've been doing it for 7 weeks and have lost 10 pounds during that time. It even helped me break out of a 2 week stall. I'm never hungry and feel great. Do it!
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hiya, sorry if this has been covered already. Changed to TDEE-20% 3 weeks ago now and have lost nothing so far. I understand it can take a few weeks for your body to start burning fat more efficiently so trying to be patient.

I am 5ft 4 33 year old female. eating around 1700-1800 a day. This was from 1200 when I first started and have gradually increased.

BMR around 1600, tdee around 2200

Just wondering how long it is taking people for the scales to start moving in the right direction again.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    Hiya, sorry if this has been covered already. Changed to TDEE-20% 3 weeks ago now and have lost nothing so far. I understand it can take a few weeks for your body to start burning fat more efficiently so trying to be patient.

I am 5ft 4 33 year old female. eating around 1700-1800 a day. This was from 1200 when I first started and have gradually increased.

BMR around 1600, tdee around 2200

Just wondering how long it is taking people for the scales to start moving in the right direction again.
    I started out at 1200 for about 8 weeks..lost nothing. Bumped up to 1400 lost a couple, bumped to 1500/1600 took about 3 or 4 weeks then started losing 1/2 to 1lb a week for the last 4 weeks.
  • Mommypeanut
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sandyz1977
    sandyz1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning TDEE -20% today. I've attempted MFP's recommendations and Weight Watchers several times and I wind up binging...every single time. A week of eating < or = 1200 calories and I'm in a dark closet shoving powdered donuts down my throat on Saturday nights. I started hunting for some other way because I know this has to be terribly unhealthy. For instance, I'll start out on a Monday at 168. By Saturday morning, I'm down to 162. Then BAM, Monday comes and I'm 168 again over and over and over because after being so restricted all week, I break into the pantry like a bull on the weekends.

So I'm going to give this a whirl. I figure...I've pretty much stayed the SAME weight for the past six weeks once you average it out so why not try this instead since I'm going no where with any other method. My TDEE -20% is right at about 1600 calories for me, which sounds so scandelous! I'm already actually feeling terrible guilt over allowing myself to eat that much, but I suppose it makes more sense than 1200 every day and 5000 a day on the weekends as I've been seeming to do.

I just wanted to join in and tell those with experience thank you for the advice/motivation in this string and tell those just starting it like myself - good luck and I'm in it with you!
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm about to bump up to TDEE-20% myself, glad to hear that this is working out so well for people.
  • tmccarter11
    Options
    bump for later
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    bump for later
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    I'm beginning TDEE -20% today. I've attempted MFP's recommendations and Weight Watchers several times and I wind up binging...every single time. A week of eating < or = 1200 calories and I'm in a dark closet shoving powdered donuts down my throat on Saturday nights. I started hunting for some other way because I know this has to be terribly unhealthy. For instance, I'll start out on a Monday at 168. By Saturday morning, I'm down to 162. Then BAM, Monday comes and I'm 168 again over and over and over because after being so restricted all week, I break into the pantry like a bull on the weekends.

So I'm going to give this a whirl. I figure...I've pretty much stayed the SAME weight for the past six weeks once you average it out so why not try this instead since I'm going no where with any other method. My TDEE -20% is right at about 1600 calories for me, which sounds so scandelous! I'm already actually feeling terrible guilt over allowing myself to eat that much, but I suppose it makes more sense than 1200 every day and 5000 a day on the weekends as I've been seeming to do.

I just wanted to join in and tell those with experience thank you for the advice/motivation in this string and tell those just starting it like myself - good luck and I'm in it with you!
    Dont be scared it works!! AND you get to eat! It is a wonderful way to lose weight and makes sense. I did 1200 for a very long time and ruined my metabolism!!
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    So with TDEE - 20% you DO NOT eat back your exercise calories? Is this correct?
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you calculated your exercise into your TDEE number, that's correct. If you said you were sedentary when calculating your TDEE, you didn't technically calculate your TDEE, and you should also eat a percentage of exercise calories back.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    If you calculated your exercise into your TDEE number, that's correct. If you said you were sedentary when calculating your TDEE, you didn't technically calculate your TDEE, and you should also eat a percentage of exercise calories back.

I seriously have been sedentary because of health issues, and I think I'd rather just leave it at that and log all exercise to be more precise. Couldn't everyone do it that way if they wanted and it work out correctly? I am trying to build strength but I'm just starting that, and I'm walking at 2mph for 30 minutes and logging it. I haven't started TDEE yet, but am exploring that option and trying to learn.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I'm just starting to do this and was wondering if people could share their success stories with me. Did you start using MFP settings and then start doing this instead and are having good results with it? And do you do resistance training?

Thanks.

Used another site, but yes! Started at ~180; maintaining at 128-134 for two years. I always did -15%, that was how it was set up I think, and/or I ignored the default. I could not survive on the default MFP settings.

I lost most of it with Jillian Michaels and C25K. Wish I'd started strength training much earlier -- working on 'recomposition' now.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I seriously have been sedentary because of health issues, and I think I'd rather just leave it at that and log all exercise to be more precise. Couldn't everyone do it that way if they wanted and it work out correctly? I am trying to build strength but I'm just starting that, and I'm walking at 2mph for 30 minutes and logging it. I haven't started TDEE yet, but am exploring that option and trying to learn.

Ok this calculator might make it clearer -- it's got a dial so you can see how many cals various activities take up. You have to change the gender to female, it's male by default (the pic of the people). If you plug in a realistic estimate of time spent on things you do, subtract 15% from that, and exercise (and don't eat back), you're golden.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Because the exercise cals are really not that precise anyway. Food cals are also an estimate but not as crazy variable. However, if you push as hard as you can and is safe, it's doing something, right? Best you can hope for.

Hope your health issues resolve soon :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    those wanting more info on BMR anTDEE should have a read of http://eatmore2weighless.com/ loads of info on there...
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

People have explained it much better than I elsewhere in the forums, and maybe even this thread, but essentially, your TDEE includes exercise. If you do exercise and but don't include it when calculating TDEE, you really are calculating something else, not your TDEE.
    If you want to eat back exercise calories, you can just set MFP to lose 1lb a week and eat back exercise calories as you do exercise.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options

People have explained it much better than I elsewhere in the forums, and maybe even this thread, but essentially, your TDEE includes exercise. If you do exercise and but don't include it when calculating TDEE, you really are calculating something else, not your TDEE.
    If you want to eat back exercise calories, you can just set MFP to lose 1lb a week and eat back exercise calories as you do exercise.

Maybe I shouldn't do TDEE yet then, because I'm not consistent with my exercise at this point. Every day is different for me. Some days I can do it, and other days I can't. Once I get a little stronger, maybe I can set an amount of exercise for the week, and use TDEE. I appreciate all the help and advice.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!