Who's getting 130g protein on 1800 cals (or just about)

Options

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and we have the exact same macro goals! I sent you a friend request, I hope that's OK :)
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm open. I eat 1800-2000 cals a day. (Sometimes more atm as i'm trying to work out maintenance)

Over 130g protein. And i'm a veggie so most of my protein is creative.

I put whey in porridge orin my milk for cereal if im eating cereal. i swapped rice for quinoa just for the higher protein. I also eat a lot of peas at times. Sneaky little bits of protein add up!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    How have you all worked out your protein goal?

I'm never sure if I'm doing it right, but I estimate my body fat percentage and then use a lean body mass calculator. But this always seems so low between 70-85 grams, so I always shoot for at least 95 grams. I'm 4''11 and on a good day 110lbs.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options

I'm never sure if I'm doing it right, but I estimate my body fat percentage and then use a lean body mass calculator. But this always seems so low between 70-85 grams, so I always shoot for at least 95 grams. I'm 4''11 and on a good day 110lbs.

That's how I figured mine too. But at 5'9" and 209lbs mine is going to be far different from yours! Looks to me like your goal is reasonable.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I eat fish 3 times a day...its light and yummy ..Also like eggs and yoghurt....I drink Protein shake just after workout...eating 1500 most days and getting 120-130 grams of protein...

this is kind of what I was going to suggest, I eat shrimp and other seafood also.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread/pastas/grains really (doing the low carb thing) so protein isn't a problem for me. I find the absolute best way to stay under your calories while eating enough protein is by only eating natural, unprocessed foods. Eggs for breakfast (usually, sometimes I'll do yogurt & nuts with some berries), leftovers or a big *kitten* salad with chicken for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. Sometimes thow in a protein smoothie with some berries for a nice desert. When you take out the garbage it makes it easier to get the protein. I'm between 1500-1700 calories a day and get 100-150g of protein each day.
  • adorable_aly
    Options

That's how I figured mine too. But at 5'9" and 209lbs mine is going to be far different from yours! Looks to me like your goal is reasonable.

Oh good,

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    even eating slabs of meat really won't do it for you... I had a 24 oz rib eye saturday- PLUS easily 1/4-1/3 of my BF"s rib eye (also 24oz.... so what's that almost 30 oz of steak?)

I still only hit like 125... and I was WAY over my calorie count for the day (and that only included 5 oz of eggs in the morning and a half a dunkin wrap (half meaning most of hte insides and very little of the actual wrap)... by noon I had only had like 4-500 calories.

protein powder- and canned fish- are my go toes.

I'm trying to hit 190 on a 1900... and it's hard as hell- I normally average 100-130

Breakfast
    6 oz eggs + veggies + sausage + 1 piece bacon

Snacks
    tomatoe
    green pepper
    baby carrots
    cherries- least why they are in season

Lunch
    7 oz chicken + veggies

Snack-
    2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner
    7 oz chicken + veggies

Protein shake- or scoop of protein in my ice cream. yeah I did it- so what. sue me. LOL

And that's almost what I eat daily- for pretty much ever. the ice cream is hit or miss- but the chicken/vegges and the eggs/veggies/sausage- that's daily. For months.

I'll sneak canned tuna for lunch or dinner if I'm short for my day or I'm too tired to cook at midnight- I also eat eggs for dinner too... or lunch- depends on again on if I've cooked- I'll eat up wards of 10 eggs a day- I'm shameless. :D
  • britzzie
    Options
    I don't eat bread/pastas/grains really (doing the low carb thing) so protein isn't a problem for me. I find the absolute best way to stay under your calories while eating enough protein is by only eating natural, unprocessed foods. Eggs for breakfast (usually, sometimes I'll do yogurt & nuts with some berries), leftovers or a big *kitten* salad with chicken for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. Sometimes thow in a protein smoothie with some berries for a nice desert. When you take out the garbage it makes it easier to get the protein. I'm between 1500-1700 calories a day and get 100-150g of protein each day.

I really enjoy 'garbage' and find it easier to adhere to my plan if I incorporate reasonable amounts of ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, pizzas, pastas, and other delicious, processed garbage! IIFIYM. That's just me though.

For anyone who bumped this for the info, I created a meal plan for Monday, July 29th that hits my macros, stays under cals, and incorporates pasta AND ice cream. Success!!! Feel free to check it out.
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Another way to eat your protein powder instead of drinking it.

Chia Pudding:
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons chia seeds

Mix and let sit overnight (the longer it sits the more like tapioca pudding it becomes (chia seeds soften)

In the morning, add 1 scoop of protein powder and mix thoroughly

Add mix ins (fruit, granola, chopped raw nuts, ground flax seed)

Love this idea!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I really enjoy 'garbage' and find it easier to adhere to my plan if I incorporate reasonable amounts of ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, pizzas, pastas, and other delicious, processed garbage! IIFIYM. That's just me though.

For anyone who bumped this for the info, I created a meal plan for Monday, July 29th that hits my macros, stays under cals, and incorporates pasta AND ice cream. Success!!! Feel free to check it out.

I love my garbage too but I just can't control myself if I eat that stuff every day so I have one cheat meal a week and have been losing steadily :)
  • britzzie
    Options

I love my garbage too but I just can't control myself if I eat that stuff every day so I have one cheat meal a week and have been losing steadily :)

That's excellent. Keep up the good work!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. I eat protein bars and shakes though to get there most days(and some days I don't).
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've recently upped from 1200 cal diet and am working my way up to your range. I am loosely a pescatarian now for the last couple of months (ate meat before that) and shoot for 130 g of protein and almost always run a bit short. Eat a lot of seafood and eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt... but this is a goal that I am trying harder to meet. Right now I'm trying to decide if I can do this without adding in meat. I use whey protein powders for breakfast sometimes but when I drink my calories, I am less satiated than eating those calories in eggs or oatmeal, etc. If you want to veiw my diary, feel free to add me. Interested in hearing some of these fabulous tips!!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I struggle with protein too. I think I let my sweet tooth and wine get in the way sometimes!

That being said, somehow I've managed to do really well Tuesday and Wednesday (today so far). For me the protein powder is really key to hitting my numbers.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just remember your body can only absorb about 30+ or - g of protein average at one time, the rest is just passed through your body...If you are trying for that much protein make sure you are spreading it out!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You can consume protein powder w/o drinking it.

Take 1 serving of 0% plain greek yogurt.
    Add 1 scoop of whey protein.
    Stir thoroughly. Add mix ins like berries if you want.

Greek yogurt: 18protein, 100 kcal
    Whey protein: 24protein, 120kcal

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.

welcome to my breakfast :)
    Honestly plain greek yogurt and vanilla or chocolate protein powder tastes like pudding.
    I add a little granola for texture along with my berries/banana.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can consume protein powder w/o drinking it.

Take 1 serving of 0% plain greek yogurt.
    Add 1 scoop of whey protein.
    Stir thoroughly. Add mix ins like berries if you want.

Greek yogurt: 18protein, 100 kcal
    Whey protein: 24protein, 120kcal

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.

This may be a little bit of genius right here. Thank you!

These are the kind of ingenious hacks that I'm looking for! Anybody else have some wonderful tricks?

Yep, I do what Side Steel recommended. I also have cottage cheese, scoop of protein powder and some mixed berries. Awesomeness in a bowl! :)
  • britzzie
    Options
    Just remember your body can only absorb about 30+ or - g of protein average at one time, the rest is just passed through your body...If you are trying for that much protein make sure you are spreading it out!

This is a myth, I believe.
  • adorable_aly
    Options
    Just wanted to add if you're going to add protein powder to yogurt or oatmeal, to get samples as some mix better than others. Also some just taste hideous, and having to mask the flavour can add unnecessary cals and hassle :)