Anyone else addicted to fast food?

Options

Replies

• doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard.

Name three. :huh:

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

Not to mention chuff loads of MSG and sugar along with carcinogenic chemicals.

But the real issue is the effect that the chemicals have on your hormones (much the same as in drugs) and the reward centre of the brain, huge increases in dopamine are noted in food addiction in the same fashion as in cocaine addiction for example.

So you don't ingest anything with caffeine? No coffee, caffeinated teas, midol/pamprin?

Also, according to our dear old wikipedia: phenylethylamine is an organic compound and a natural monoamine alkaloid, a trace amine, and also the name of a class of chemicals with many members well known for psychoactive drug and stimulant effects.[1] Phenylethylamine functions as a neuromodulator or neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system.[2] It is biosynthesized from the amino acid phenylalanine by enzymatic decarboxylation. In addition to its presence in mammals, phenethylamine is found in many other organisms and foods, such as chocolate, especially after microbial fermentation. It is sold as a dietary supplement for purported mood and weight loss-related therapeutic benefits; however, orally ingested phenethylamine is usually inactive because of extensive first-pass metabolism by monoamine oxidase (MAO) into phenylacetic acid. This prevents significant concentrations from reaching the brain.

So you don't eat chocolate either? Oh.

Also, again, according to wikipedia: Theobromine (theobromide[3]), formerly known as xantheose,[2] is a bitter alkaloid of the cacao plant, with the chemical formula C7H8N4O2. It is found in chocolate, as well as in a number of other foods, including the leaves of the tea plant, and the kola (or cola) nut. It is in the methylxanthine class of chemical compounds,[4] which also includes the similar compounds theophylline and caffeine.[2] (In caffeine, the only difference is that the NH group of theobromine is an N-CH3 group.) Despite its name, the compound contains no bromine—theobromine is derived from Theobroma, the name of the genus of the cacao tree, (which itself is made up of the Greek roots theo ("God") and broma ("food"), meaning "food of the gods")[5] with the suffix -ine given to alkaloids and other basic nitrogen-containing compounds.[6]

Basically caffeine. Hm. And again, found in chocolate. Hm.

And lastly: Casomorphins are peptides, i.e., protein fragments, derived from the digestion of milk protein casein. The distinguishing characteristic of casomorphins is that they have an opioid effect.[1] The most important casomorphins from bovine milk are those released from the digestion of β-casein into β-casomorphins, sometimes denoted as BCM followed by a numeral indicating the number of amino acids in the sequence. In cattle, the amount of β-casein - and, hence, the potential release of β-casomorphins - varies between species and breeds. Typically, β-casein comprises about one-third of the casein in milk, or about 12 grams per liter of milk. However, there are at least 13 different variants of the β-casein protein in cattle population, with any one cow producing milk that will contain either one or two of these 13 variants. β-casomorphins are found in cheeses made from bovine milk; their concentrations are higher in mould cheeses (e.g. Brie, Rokpol) than in semi-hard cheeses (e.g. Edam, Gouda and Kasztelan).[1]

And I'm assuming you don't consume ANY dairy from cows? No cheeses, milk, or protein powders with this stuff in it?

Oh.

:smile: :wink: :glasses:

Just a bit of input from the "pro-fast food in moderation" side

[edit for the vegan chick... I guess she doesn't eat real cheese lol my bad. overlooked it.]
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

But the real issue is the effect that the chemicals have on your hormones (much the same as in drugs) and the reward centre of the brain, huge increases in dopamine are noted in food addiction in the same fashion as in cocaine addiction for example.

Phenethylamine is widely distributed throughout the plant kingdom

Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate, Theobromine can also be found in small amounts in the kola nut

Caffeine is in coffee and tea as well as many other things, and according to several RDN's coffee and tea is actually good for you in moderation...just like everything else...in mod-er-a-tion.

The "chemicals" have as much control of your hormones as you let them...it's called willpower. The ability to "just say no." No addiction, I have NEVER seen one single withdrawl symptom from lack of Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and fries. Never. However...there was that 911 call in Florida when McDonalds was out of chicken nuggets...so, there's that.

So because you have not seen it it does not exist? I have learned from time on MFP not to waste my time trying to convince people. Myself and others have posted links to further proof of actual food addiction, not everyone can control their willpower in the same way and some people do develop actual addiction (actually likened to similar level to heroin addiction) to food. I am not saying that everyone overweight is addicted, merely that food addiction is real and exists and can contribute to peoples inability to lose weight and control their eating.

Anyway, good job you cracked the whole 'drug problem' thing, I'll make sure I let all of those people that find it hard to function without coffee know that cutting out caffeine doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms.

I'll also let all of the Cocaine addicts know that they're not really addicted, because cocaine comes from a plant, right?

Not to mention Heroin addicts that are obviously not addicted either, as Heroin is derived from Poppies?

I don't think so somehow.

I know you mean well and you're trying to help, but this type of post is sort of the opposite of health. Convincing people that some food item they like a lot is the equivalent of cocaine and therefore evil and bad leads to exactly what Mishinmite observes: willpower will eventually give out leading to failures and binges.

The proper course of action is to learn moderation and how to fit these foods into your goals. Demonizing them is the wrong approach, and it simply does not work.
  • jedigrover
    jedigrover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There may be some "addictive" aspects (dopamine rewards) to it, but fast food especially (versus the overall category of "junk food") is mostly a habit.

In other words, it's more convenient to just buy a burger than to buy the food, cook, and assemble a healthy meal.

You can replace this habit, though. I've done it, and so have many others. Notice that I said REPLACE the habit, not BREAK it. People fail at breaking bad habits ***because they don't instill (train) a new one in its place.***

The point being: if you clean refuse out of an area, you wind up with empty space. Nature abhors a vacuum. So if you don't put something good in its place, you will wind up with more bad stuff (sometimes MUCH more bad stuff) than you started with.

So you need to develop some good habits to replace the bad habits. We all have bad habits and good habits. I try (not always successfully) to replace as many bad habits as I can identify with a good habit. Here's a step-by-step plan for you to try on this (having been there, I can speak from experience):

1) Clean out your pantry of all the junk food--whatever doesn't fit your plan (I'm Primal, so I eliminated grains, legumes, etc.)
    2) Shop and fill your pantry with foods that are compatible with your eating plan. Don't go overboard at first if you haven't identified what will become your new staple items.
    3) Learn to cook about 4 meals from those ingredients.
    4) Set aside a day with some time (I do this on weekends) to pre-cook your proteins and portion / chop / prep as many "components" of your meals as possible. You can even make your own frozen dinners.
    5) When you are driving past Big-Butt-Burger (whatever your fast-food temptation is), ask yourself these questions:
    - "Will I remember how good this meal was a day or two from now? Or will I feel guilty that I worked against my fitness goals?"
    - "Will I use the time I save (versus home-cooking) to further my fitness goals? Or am I already planning to veg-out in front of the TV with my bag-o-calories?"
    - "Have I looked up the nutritional content of what I'm contemplating buying? Do I really know what I'm about to put in my mouth?"

Those questions will usually get me to keep driving. And once I've gotten home, I really don't want to turn around and go out--particularly if I have something ready-to-go right there.

With a little practice, you'll find that it doesn't take nearly as long to prep your food. And you know what it is & where it came from. And it is portioned. And now, that convenience equation starts to tilt in the favor of home-cooking.

Keep this up for 30 days, then 60 days. By that time, you probably won't even be tempted when driving past your old haunts. Especially when you look down and see more space between your belly and the steering wheel.

Also, don't try to replace all your bad habits all at once. Each thing you try to change simultaneously multiplies the difficulty & raise the odds of failing at all of them. Pick your biggest problem and whittle it down until it is no more. Then pick the next biggest, and so on. BTW, that approach also works VERY well for paying off debts. Which, when you think about it, is kind of what you're doing here.

Do your best!
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    The way i got over mine was i watched this video where a prof at a college bought a happy meal and let it sit out for a long *kitten* time and he showed you that what they put in it really is like a preservative. It got me thinking what the hell is in that food? So pretty much i stopped because i didnt know what exactly they did to those burgers lol
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The way i got over mine was i watched this video where a prof at a college bought a happy meal and let it sit out for a long *kitten* time and he showed you that what they put in it really is like a preservative. It got me thinking what the hell is in that food? So pretty much i stopped because i didnt know what exactly they did to those burgers lol

Your prof was either an idiot or a charlatan.

There are no preservatives in a ground beef patty from McD's. You can replicate the effect perfectly by making your own ground beef patty, grilling it with a little salt, and setting it down on a table. It will not mold; it will simply get dry and stay that way.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fast food and eating out... but somewhere along the line I picked up a degree in Economics and became more frugal. Hence, I'll not justify spending double the amount of money on food (it doesn't matter if I'm buying either) when I can spend less by going to the supermarket.
  • originalfinch
    originalfinch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That could not be more wrong. Some people might use an addiction as an excuse but the fact is it exist and its a craving your body needs. Now, I feel they're are various degrees of addiction in which fast food may not be as bad as others.

Addiction is an excuse... give me a break!
  • mendobr
    mendobr Posts: 1
    Options
    ME! I have the same issue, my kids are envolved in sports so by the time I get home from work and practice its convenient to just grab a quick bite to eat. Im monitoring the calories and try to just walk a little longer. But I feel you, its hard to kick that bad habbit when its so easy and goood! Lol
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    I will say this, food is totally an addiction. The only difference is you cannot stop eating all together so it is more difficult in some ways than drugs or alcohol. Before I got pregnant with my first I struggled with drug and alcohol addictions and it was probably the hardest thing I have ever done, quitting. The thing of it is though, it is easier now because I am not in the lifestyle, I don't hang out with the friends, I am not around the triggers, it has been so long I don't really get cravings anymore other than the odd twinge here and there.

I haven't eaten Mc.Donalds in 7 years and I STILL crave it ALL the time, although I have never given in. I was so disgusting and would go there 2-3 times A DAY sometimes. Fast forwards to 7 years later and I frequently crave it. The difference between food addictions and other addictions is you will always have to eat. Don't get me wrong, detoxing from drugs and alcohol was an extremely difficult and dark time, but after a period of time goes by it gets easier, food it like a constant struggle everyday, because you always have to be around triggers and around the addiction.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    You have to stop eating fast food! It's not good for you & just triggers you to eat more junk! Keep strong in your willpower & you will get to your goal a whole lot faster!
  • neongoldie
    neongoldie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i used to be. i cut it out of my diet completely for a while and now, the thought of half the stuff i used to eat is nauseating. i still love my chicken nuggets every now and then though :) try cutting it out for a while!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You have to stop eating fast food!

No you don't.
  • michaelchristophrous
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted to fast food but I do allow myself to enjoy it every once in a while, although no more than once a week as a treat, maybe on a Friday after a long weeks work. My addition is smoking and the only thing that's stopping me from doing that is locking myself in to two running competitions that I now want to do well in and for one of which I'm raising money for charity, which makes me want to stick to my goals even more. I don't know if this would work for you, but having a goal outside of just loosing weight might help, be it a fun run / swim or an endurance assault course, you don't have to win, you just have to want to do well for yourself.
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How I combat the "fast food cravings" may not be something that everyone can do. I cook my own.

My husband LOVES Mexican, Chinese and Pizza, and if we could, he'd probably eat out at these restaurants every week. So I satisfy those cravings by cooking those cuisines at home. I scour recipe websites like skinnytaste.com, skinnykitchen.com, cookinglight.com and keep my eye out for recipes in these cuisines that we crave.

Then I cook. We both get the cravings satisfied, but invariably the food tastes better than restaurants, its lower in calories, and we can actually "eat out" more often.

The down side, if you can call it that, is it makes it harder to eat out at restaurants when you can cook better at home.

And for anyone who says they "don't have the time to cook." I would say tally up what you spend looking at menu boards or menus, waiting in line or drive thrus, etc... With a little prep, cooking does not have to be time consuming. Some of the best recipes can be made in a matter of minutes.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate, Theobromine can also be found in small amounts in the kola nut

Caffeine is in coffee and tea as well as many other things, and according to several RDN's coffee and tea is actually good for you in moderation...just like everything else...in mod-er-a-tion.

The "chemicals" have as much control of your hormones as you let them...it's called willpower. The ability to "just say no." No addiction, I have NEVER seen one single withdrawl symptom from lack of Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and fries. Never. However...there was that 911 call in Florida when McDonalds was out of chicken nuggets...so, there's that.

So because you have not seen it it does not exist? I have learned from time on MFP not to waste my time trying to convince people. Myself and others have posted links to further proof of actual food addiction, not everyone can control their willpower in the same way and some people do develop actual addiction (actually likened to similar level to heroin addiction) to food. I am not saying that everyone overweight is addicted, merely that food addiction is real and exists and can contribute to peoples inability to lose weight and control their eating.

Anyway, good job you cracked the whole 'drug problem' thing, I'll make sure I let all of those people that find it hard to function without coffee know that cutting out caffeine doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms.

I'll also let all of the Cocaine addicts know that they're not really addicted, because cocaine comes from a plant, right?

Not to mention Heroin addicts that are obviously not addicted either, as Heroin is derived from Poppies?

Yes, fast food and heroin...exact same thing.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat taco bell fresco bean burritos occasionally. I ate them more often when I first started mfp. If you want meaty fast food, the kid's meals would have more reasonable portions.
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are there any other issues that seem to coincide with eating like that? As in depression or anxiety?

If so i would work on that before worrying about the food because it will recur until the root problem is in check.

If not then its really just up to you to make it a habit to not eat it, make sure to buy healthy foods and prepare them before hand for lunches and such.

for me when i eat that stuff for lunch i get tired and i hate that, so its easy for me to avoid it because being tired at work is not an option for me.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it ok to eat it once in awhile
    exercise it off stay under calories

I don't eat fries anymore

sometimes I will plan a baconater at wendys which is a 900 cal sandwich
    not very often like once amonth

or at mcdonalds I get a regular hamburger
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

I know you mean well and you're trying to help, but this type of post is sort of the opposite of health. Convincing people that some food item they like a lot is the equivalent of cocaine and therefore evil and bad leads to exactly what Mishinmite observes: willpower will eventually give out leading to failures and binges.

The proper course of action is to learn moderation and how to fit these foods into your goals. Demonizing them is the wrong approach, and it simply does not work.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I am not saying the foods should be avoided, or trying to demonise them. What I am saying is that in larger quantities some foods have been proven to cause addiction in some people. It's not always the case that people are lazy and can't be bothered to quit, there is more at play.
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    Hey AwesomeShark! Fast food is one of my weaknesses too. Sooo tasty... I do allow myself to have fast food, but I only eat it when I am with others, that way I don't eat too much, cause I will if left to my own devices! I am trying to think of how I feel the next day after eating fast food, tired, lazy and I want to stuff my face all day. You've done so amazingly well, don't get discouraged, you've come too far for that