Anyone else addicted to fast food?

Options

Replies

• thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Watch supersize me, you won't want fast food for a while.

Supersize me didn't affect me at all. I was hoping it would. I thought to myself, yeah this guy ate McDonald's everyday, but never had water, never exercised and never ate anything else. I don't eat McDonald's for every meal everyday. In fact, after watching that movie, I wanted my go to of two cheeseburgers, fries and a chocolate shake.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Nope, haven't craved fast food for a couple of years. Now, don't get me wrong, I do crave a burger and fries but I prefer them from my grill and oven over fast food. I am also not saying I haven't eaten any fast food during that time, but it was more about convenience since I travel a lot. Usually I kicked myself afterward because it just doesn't taste as good as what I can make at home.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Having lost loved ones to the disease, I'm really disturbed by how easily "addicted" gets tossed around. Suddenly everybody is addicted - to fast food, to their favorite conditioner, to TV shows, to items of clothing. These examples are not addictions.
  • Msnevergiveup70
    Msnevergiveup70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a few tricks that I use if I have no other choice than fast food. I order a child's meal with a side salad. Wendy's also has some pretty great salads however ask for the calorie count and they do have them usually under the counter. I think what I am learning on this site like eating at Subway helps however I would be better with the child's meal and maybe carry a apple if you still feel hungry.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would say that I tend to lean toward this. I consider going to fast food 3+ times per week for breakfast a problem (for me). Will I never eat there again...I will; just in moderation. Adding up all the $$ that has been spent on fast food/eating out could buy some food and cook at home. I have a 14 year old...going to fast food isn't under $20 anymore!

We will keep our tradition and go to Starbucks on pay day. (I get paid once a month). It is a special treat for us.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, almost all the fast food eateries offer more healthy options than they used it. As soon as you find yourself in the drive-through start looking for the salad menu, or fruit based options. Plan ahead. Visit the nutritional menu to decide how many calories, fat grams, sodium, etc., you are willing to "bite off" for this one meal. Make conscious choices. I get home late and am away from home most of the day so I admit, we do eat take-out quite a bit ... but I have found ways to keep it healthier than burgers and fries: My new faves are the Berry Almond Chicken salad from Wendy's, or a plain baked potato with a packet of salsa, the Yogurt Parfait at McDonald's (yes, I use that as my main course for whatever meal it is), the Cantina bowl at Taco Bell, etc. Once I educated myself to the nutritional content for various items, it made the substitution much easier.

If all else fails and you need the greasy burger, order it "dry" without mayo or sauce, and/or low carb - wrapped in lettuce instead of bun. Also, order off the dollar menu - usually less frills, smaller portions, lower in calories. A value-size fry is way less calories than the one that is served with the combo meal and lets you indulge your craving. Better yet, share it with a friend for 50% less calories, so you have room for a 150 calorie yogurt parfait for dessert!!
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard.

Name three. :huh:

Seriously? Or are you just being sarcastic?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Are you?

Fast food full of drugs? Come on.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am not addicted to fast food. It's more a convenience, and that is why I consume it. Although, truth be told I was told not to eat fried foods since I was 12 due to something, I don't remember what exactly. The physician I saw said it would cause me nothing but pain and discomfort. So true, as grease makes me sick... but I guess I'm gluten for punishment.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm uncomfortable with labeling the frequent consumption of fast food as an addiction. Sort of depreciates the struggle a person with say a drug or alcohol addiction may go through?

No offense, but please don't negate any type of addiction. There are many process addictions (which are addictions that do not affect the chemical process of the persons mind or body), such as gambling, eating, shopping etc, and there are chemical addictions (which interfere with the chemical make-up of your body), i.e. drugs, alcohol. I am an addiction studies major now going into my third year and it really flips my ticker when people think that eating cannot be a "real" addiction. Yes it is in the mind, yes it may be a mental thought, but it is an addiction none the less. Either way, no matter the choice of the "drug" everyone struggles and everyone fights their demons in their own ways.

With that being said OP...you are an adult. YOU make your own decision and YOU have the choice to say no. When you choose to say yes, you overlook the negative effects it is going to have on you for the immediate pleasure, and deal with the guilt and possible shame AFTER the deed is done. This IS a classic sign of an addiction. Fast food can be acceptable if you can fit it into your macros every now and again. Is it possible to eat fast food every day and stay in your caloric budget? Sure...but it would suck and it wouldn't be very healthy as far as nutrition goes. Your body needs fresh unprocessed foods. If you honestly feel like you have a problem with fast food, you can always look into over eaters anonymous on line for extra support.

eta: definitions of chemical and process addictions for more clear explanation
    Very much agree! Ppl that don't see food as a possible addiction may not have a food addiction themselves to fully understand that food CAN be just as much an addiction as gambling, drugs, etc. etc. There are chemicals reactions with food that effect the brain.

Something that bothers me is when ppl say you can give up alcohol, drugs, gambling, but you have to eat food. Yes our body needs nutrition but there is alcohol available on every corner, same with drugs, any of that is easily available if you go looking.

I don't see that food addiction is any harder than another addiction.. they can all be equally life altering depending on the person and the situation. Any addiction is a difficult situation to be in.
  • poetic_britt
    Options
    I was addicted to fast food too! I would go to mc donalds or taco bell every day after school. But I noticed the weight I was gaining and how I felt physically. I was having chest pain and other problems too. I stopped because I knew if I kept on eating that stuff my health would be in jeopardy. I could develop an illness or diabetes etc. That's not how I want to live my life. Your young and have a lot to live for, do the best thing by making healthier choices. WE ALL have our cheat days but don't let it be every day. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • 201rainbow
    201rainbow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me when I was in the fifth grade (5 years ago) I saw a report on the news station that was 5 mins long focusing on how horrible fast food was. It shocked me and I haven't eaten fast food since. I don't even crave it.

I also stopped having soda since the sixth grade and now I cringe when I think about drinking it.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Are you?

Fast food full of drugs? Come on.

Yes, I am dead serious. You and some other ignorant commentators may not realize it, but in the process of preparing most common fast food, ADDITIVES are, well, added. Sure, these chemicals and compounds can be found in other elements of nature, but not in quantities or more importantly the combinations that they are in fast foods.

Hydrogenated oils are not naturally occurring. Hydrogen atoms exist and in certain combinations make up fats and oils. However, food manufacturers ADD an extra hydrogen atom which helps in preventing the molecule chain's breakdown, because when unsaturated fats break down, they taste rancid. The addition of a hydrogen atom has drastic effects on the human body, many of which we are still discovering.

Someone mentioned salt, or Sodium. Salt is natural. It is found in the oceans and on land. We even need a certain amount in our bodies so that our nervous systems work. However, if you butcher a cow or pig you won't find sodium levels like you do in the processed pieces that end up on your plate. They even add sodium to breads. And I am not talking about insignificant amount. Sodium levels are 1000x what their natural counterparts.

BHA or Butylated Hydroxytoluene, also known as Butylated Hydroxyanisole is so dangerous it has been banned in several countries already.

The first point people should understand about natural vs not-natural is that just because the element is found in nature, does not mean it is being used naturally. My house is made of wood. Wood is natural. But, you would never say a wooden house is, would you?

And just to cap this off - here is an ingredient that many might be surprised to know is prevalent: COAL TAR. That is tar from coal. It is used as a base for food coloring. If what you eat contains food coloring, there is a chance you are coal tar. I dare one of you to scrape some off the inside of your bbq or wood stove and eat a spoonful. Tell me how it isn't harmful for you because it is found in nature!
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am addicted to sugar !!! I am trying to get off of it, but the with drawls are so bad !! I can pass up a fast food hamburger, but will devour a bag of Double Stuffed Oreos in 1 day !! I feel ya. Hang in there, lets push past this and get healthy !!
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm uncomfortable with labeling the frequent consumption of fast food as an addiction. Sort of depreciates the struggle a person with say a drug or alcohol addiction may go through? That being said. Maybe you could begin cooking more at home, then do some more exercise so that you have more calories to fit in a fast food treat here and there?

No...it doesn't depreciate it. Just because you dont have the addiction doesn't mean it isn't just as hard to give up fast food or another type of food as it is for someone struggling from drug and alcohol addiction.

i've been addicted to fast food or types of food for many many years...and unless you've been inside my brain when my body and mind were screaming for that food...you dont know the struggle. I dont care what anyone says...i've lived it.
  • EBranch18
    EBranch18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Broccoli may stick in your teeth but french fries stick to your thighs!!!!!!!!

I love McDonald's fries but I buy a small...it's more than enough. Don't deny yourself but don't make yourself feel guily either!!!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted but I like to have the odd McDonald's. I can't fit a Big Mac combo with a soda into my day every.single.time, but I can fit a McDouble and small fries and still hit my macros. Just plan for it.
  • KHKuhstoss
    Options
    I am! I work all of the time in the middle of fast food haven! It's way too convenient!
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    dont watch super size me that doc is a pos imo, watch a doc called "fat head" trust me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Im addicted to broscience......I cant stay away from this thread. Im learning about all kinds of new and improved toxins manufactured for the sole purpose of giving me cancer or making me fat or whatever. Demon toxins.